PDA

View Full Version : How are you getting in shape?

kurtvon
12-05-2008, 12:33
I'm just wondering how everyone is getting in shape for their thru-hike? I'm getting a late start in May and must finish before school starts back up in September. So I'll be getting in upwards of 25/30 miles a day.

So far my training has consisted of running at least 3 times a week with plenty of weightlifting, focusing mainly on my lower body and core. I'm living in NYC right now so occasionally I'll run up and down the thousands of stairs multiple time just to get in some uphill stuff.

I know some people usually say they will start training before they hit the trail, but most usually do a minimal amount of training. I agree that if you were starting early and planed on taking your time, this is the way to go since the trail would surely whip you in shape. But for me (and I'm sure others), we don't have six months of our lives to commit to a thru-hike so we cannot take the time to adjust to the trail, we need to attack it. I will be pulling tough long days early on before getting into even longer days. Because of this, I need to be in top physical shape before I hit the trail running.

I was just wondering how everyone else is coming along with training and if your keeping up with it?

Kurt
www.kurtvon.com

corialice81
12-05-2008, 12:43
I'm doing several shake down hikes. Last year, I did alot of gym workouts but nothing mimics the trail better than the trail. So, this year I'm focused on hiking as much as possibe: day hikes, weekends, and a long distance hike over christmas break.

That's my plans.

garlic08
12-05-2008, 12:44
I hope you don't mind hearing from an '08 hiker on this post. My hike was a lot like what you're planning, hitting the ground running so to speak, except that my partner (aged 63) and I are much older.

The weight lifting is excellent, as are the stair climbs. I personally don't agree with the running, too much exposure to injury in my opinion. I believe the best way to get in shape for walking is by walking. My program was 10 to 15 fast miles every day for a month or so before the trail. Try to stay off pavement (again, avoiding injury), though that might be hard around NYC. I assume your pack will be light, so there's no real need to carry weight on your back in training. If anything starts hurting, rest.

You should also try to have a little extra body fat at the start. If you're the athlete it sounds like you are, that may be an issue. It's good to have a little cushion for the days between towns, which you might not be experienced at.

Good luck!

big_muddy
12-05-2008, 12:47
beer

ChinMusic
12-05-2008, 12:49
25/30 per day for an average is a serious pace. I suspect that if you hit the trail in marathon shape or just good shape, it will matter very little in the grand scheme of things.

From what I have read from other young folks hikes, you will STILL want to take it easy in the beginning. Even at the young and "indestructible" age of 19 your body can break down if you push it too hard the first week. 95% of your body will do just fine with a jack rabbit start but that 5% can stop you.

take-a-knee
12-05-2008, 12:56
www.crossfit.com (http://www.crossfit.com) ... for the rest of my life.

rafe
12-05-2008, 14:19
Bicycling. Maybe 50-60 miles per week. Make sure there are some hills involved.

T-Dubs
12-05-2008, 15:03
Bicycling. Maybe 50-60 miles per week. Make sure there are some hills involved.

I'm not planning a thru, but if I were this is the plan I'd follow--working up to 100-120 miles/week. Gets you in shape without all that pavement pounding; keeping your legs/joints somewhat fresh for the eventual trail abuse.

Good luck with your training and your upcoming hike!

TWS

rafe
12-05-2008, 15:12
Good luck with your training and your upcoming hike!

I won't be doing the AT (again) except for little bits here and there... but this is what I've been doing for my section hikes over the last several years.

ChinMusic
12-05-2008, 15:28
The weight training would be key for me (at my age). I want all those stabilizer muscles ready to go.

An aerobic activity that trains your heart as well as those stabilizer muscles would be something like racquetball or basketball. I would think these activities would help prepare your feet/ankles/knees for the uneven surfaces you will face.

That said, nothing prepares you more for backpacking in the mountains than backpacking in the mountains.

Mags
12-05-2008, 16:13
My way of training for long hikes:

1) Trail runs (easier on the body than road running- slower pace, the way I "run" is more of a fast hike! Lots of powerhiking on the steep uphills.) A bit hard in NYC, but stair climbing should work.
2) Day hikes every weekend
3) Backpacking as much as I can

During the winter, I backcountry ski almost every weekend.

FWIW, I trained for the CDT using this method and did it 4 mos on the nose.

IMO, the best article for getting ready for a hike:
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=184425#post184425

Deadeye
12-05-2008, 16:17
I'l second TAK's Crossfit recommendation www.crossfit.com (http://www.crossfit.com)

P90x (www.beachbody.com (http://www.beachbody.com)) is also an excellent kick-your-ass program

Of course, someone is going to tell you the best way to get in shape for a hike is to hike, but that assumes you have time to hike all the time, which most of us don't. Getting/staying in shape between hikes helps us make the most of our limited hiking time.

ErickP
12-07-2008, 19:01
www.crossfit.com (http://www.crossfit.com) ... for the rest of my life.
Second the crossfit. Hiking is easy after that stuff.

Highway Man
12-30-2008, 23:26
When started doing day hike, I didn't carry extra weight or doing any additional exercises. But once I had a chance to put 35 Lb. of weight on my shoulder over miles on a backpack trip, it revealed clearly the weak parts of my body, back, shoulder, and waist.

Then I started at early 2007 to put coke bottles filled with water inside my day pack. The total pack weight increased from a little over 10 Lb, to 20 Lb, and over 30 Lb. The concept of using weight to train my legs and other body parts had ever grown stronger and stronger after I came back from the White Mountains in NH. I knew I've gotta be able pull my a** over 4000' at least in a single dash in order to reach the summit.

In addition to the extra weight, I increased the elevation gain in a day hike. I did a couple of times in Catskill early this year to make to two peaks in one trip, 4000' elevation gain total each time, of course, I might have less weight at that time. And I was often asked what I was doing when other people saw me again on the same trail on Mt. Tammany at DWG. I've done about five times of three peats and many two peats this year. The pack weight is normally over 30 Lb. Now I load the pack to 50 Lb. (7*2 L. coke and 1*3 L. fruit punch) and do the stairways from first floor to third floor 30 ups in a day session. Also I do a quite a bit of upper body exercises.

My philosophy is rather have more pain in the training than on the trail. It's from my early competitional sports. I only have 5 months next year. I'll do anything I can now to incease the chance of success though I know training is only one of those important factors.

nyushka42
12-31-2008, 11:51
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for someone who lives in the great flat mid-west. I can do lots of training at the gym (I do anyway regardless), but what about conditioning? Hiking trails here are pretty much flat, and to me extremely boring.

Jack Tarlin
12-31-2008, 12:12
*I do some outdoor work every day, regardless of the weather, and it's usually in the woodpile, cutting, stacking, stocking all the wood stoves, etc.

*Walking to town each day instead of driving also helps.

*And I also cut some of my exercising in half, particularly the exercising performed with the left hand and a bottle of Rolling Rock.

burger
12-31-2008, 12:27
I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for someone who lives in the great flat mid-west. I can do lots of training at the gym (I do anyway regardless), but what about conditioning? Hiking trails here are pretty much flat, and to me extremely boring.
Try walking on an inclined treadmill. Start off at a 5 or 10% incline (or whatever is comfortable) and gradually increase the steepness from week to week. It'll strengthen your legs, and if you do it at a decent pace, it's a great cardio workout, too. And no holding onto the handles--there aren't any handles on the trail, right? Right now, I do 15% at a 3.2 mph pace for 3 miles once or twice a week, and it's the most satisfying workout in my routine.

Pedaling Fool
12-31-2008, 13:41
That's why I don't hike much here in Florida - flat and boring. I also have access to a gym year-around. Don't fall into a routine use the equipment to force your body to do all kinds of exercises. Many have already been mentioned here, such as crossfit, treadmill (elevated), stairclimbers (if your gym has one - different from the steppers, which I find useless).

Don't just concentrate on cardio, it'll come on the hike. Hiking is high-impact, because of extra weight your frame must support and the down hills. For this reason my opinion is that strength training (whole body) is the most important exercise.

Many do thru-hikes without physical preparation and will say BS to workingout as a preparation, but I believe it's important, not so much to complete a thruhike, but to lessen the impact of a thruhike on your body as it ages.

Highway Man
12-31-2008, 14:04
If I were living in flat area, I would do,

- Running for cardiovascular capability;
- Squating in gym or walking staiways with weight for muscle volumes;
- Hiking along trails with weight (find as roughest as possible). since backpacking is a type of activitiy that needs all body muscle groups work together. Upper body balance involves many small muscle groups that are sometimes hard to exercise. Getting onto the rough trails more will lessen a person's possible surprise and pain when reaching PA, NJ, and NY as I hike in those areas pretty often.

Pedaling Fool
12-31-2008, 14:17
If your gym doesn't have one of these you should ask them to get one, great workout http://www.marpokinetics.com/ and one of these http://discountfitnessreview.com/Quickstart/ImageLib/StairmasterPT7000web.jpg

KG4FAM
12-31-2008, 15:25
If your gym doesn't have one of these you should ask them to get one, great workout http://www.marpokinetics.com/ and one of these http://discountfitnessreview.com/Quickstart/ImageLib/StairmasterPT7000web.jpgYou want me to ask the trail clubs to put in a stairmaster?

Jorel
12-31-2008, 16:37
I think it depends so much on your age. For me, the tendons, ligaments, etc, need to be ready as much as the big muscle groups. I do wall sits with minimum weights, rotator cuff exercises for when I inevitably fall and brace myself with my outstretched arm, core exercises, and lots of calve raises. I also hike 2-3 hours a day with a 30 pound pack filled with water bottles, and stretch every night. I am lucky, in that I am about retired, so have the time. I live in a flat area, so do stair walks as much as possible. I am not worried about a land speed record, just think that being in as good of shape as possible will help me enjoy the trip. I wish I was still young, and could do arm bends with my brew of choice to get ready.....but those days are far behind me.

Freeze
12-31-2008, 17:05
I'm working on getting my knees in hiking shape. In 04, I was plagued with knee pain from Springer to Damascus (hurt them on the approach trail I think), and I saw quite a few hikers get off the trail due to bad knees.

Best is to hike up and down a mountain. If no mountains around like here in Miami, I've found that a stair machine simulates uphill pretty well, and one of those cross country ski machines (going backwards) simulates downhill extremely well. Also putting in miles couple of times a week. Started at 4, working my way up to 16.

Uphill:
http://www.walkaboutmag.com/images/2Diamondback%20300%20EL.jpg

Downhill (going backwards):

http://www.walkaboutmag.com/images/2lifefitness_reardrive9500.jpg

Feral Bill
12-31-2008, 17:24
You have an hour or so on the bus to Harriman State Park. Go up Friday evenings and hike across the park, staying at shelters or stealthing. Catch a bus home from the other side on Sunday. Repeat repeatedly, on different routes . You will be fit and learn a lot as well. Have fun.

Highway Man
12-31-2008, 17:46
You have an hour or so on the bus to Harriman State Park. Go up Friday evenings and hike across the park, staying at shelters or stealthing. Catch a bus home from the other side on Sunday. Repeat repeatedly, on different routes . You will be fit and learn a lot as well. Have fun.
I used to hike in Harriman State Park a lot. I met a guy on the trail quite a few years ago, who was doing traversing the entire park . He said he took a bus to Bear Mt. and came back to NYC from Suffern, NY. I was a little disgusted by his appearance, tired, dirty, of draging a huge pack. I now become one of those.

ATX-Hiker
01-02-2009, 13:17
Stair master 60 minutes twice a week
Tread mill 60 minutes twice a week
5-10 mile day hike once a week with loaded pack
4-5 shake down hikes mixed in there

oh...
and Six Minute Abs every morning

CrumbSnatcher
01-02-2009, 13:32
IMO if you live close to harriman state park and plan on practice hikes there,you should try the section south of the park. alot more challenging.

Highway Man
01-02-2009, 14:24
IMO if you live close to harriman state park and plan on practice hikes there,you should try the section south of the park. alot more challenging.
I Iused to have made close to ten times around the trails by the next crossing road south to Arden Road. I use that ones as workout, total 5~6 mile, 2000' elevation gains? The ones at Visitor Center at southern perimeter of the park are also very popular. You can't find a parking space at a busy weekend if you come after 10 AM.

I later found Schunumonk Mt., a few miles north to Woodbury Premium Outlet is a gem, and have done 30 times(+-) of day hikes of different trail combinations. Deleware Water Gap is closer to where I'm living . So it is a training base now with a little sense of remoteness, but still crowded in the weekends.

yappy
01-02-2009, 15:05
I try and do alot of snowshoeing prior to a hike. When I take them off and hit snow free grd I feel pretty strong.

CrumbSnatcher
01-02-2009, 15:13
I try and do alot of snowshoeing prior to a hike. When I take them off and hit snow free grd I feel pretty strong.
i bet that works great! it reminded me of when i go to one of my baseball/softball games. everyone looking at us strangly cause we throw around a football to warm up. by the time you warm up with the bigger heavier football, and then pickup a baseball you'll understand

CrumbSnatcher
01-02-2009, 15:14
I Iused to have made close to ten times around the trails by the next crossing road south to Arden Road. I use that ones as workout, total 5~6 mile, 2000' elevation gains? The ones at Visitor Center at southern perimeter of the park are also very popular. You can't find a parking space at a busy weekend if you come after 10 AM.

I later found Schunumonk Mt., a few miles north to Woodbury Premium Outlet is a gem, and have done 30 times(+-) of day hikes of different trail combinations. Deleware Water Gap is closer to where I'm living . So it is a training base now with a little sense of remoteness, but still crowded in the weekends.
have a great hike this year.

Mags
01-02-2009, 15:25
I drink beer post hikes/skis.

I don't know if it keeps me in shape, but sounds like more fun than what some of the sourpusses on WB do. ;)

Highway Man
01-02-2009, 15:25
That's pretty true. The worst experience I've ever had was snowshoeing in a deep melting snow. I made my first snowshoeing to Big Indian Mt. in Catskill, a 9 mile round trip. My legs were like attached with 10 Lb. dumbells each everytime I lifted my legs. The good part is those muscle groups are the ones I always wanted to train and important for hiking.

Oh, yeh! I picked up three young college graduates who were skiing there and had a broken down car at Rt. 28 all the way back to Oakland, NJ. I did not accept their contribution for gas.

Highway Man
01-02-2009, 15:45
I drink beer post hikes/skis.

I don't know if it keeps me in shape, but sounds like more fun than what some of the sourpusses on WB do. ;)
I'll never be gone back to drinking like before cause I'm taking Legalon, a commercially branded medicine which contains natural ingredient of silymarin to rehabilitate/cure liver problems. I have weak a liver I think. That's the energy converter I don't want to mess up anymore if i want to stay in hiking circle. But I won't reject a half cup of sweet wine once a while with good meals.

Mags
01-02-2009, 16:30
That's the energy converter I don't want to mess up anymore if i want to stay in hiking circle. But I won't reject a half cup of sweet wine once a while with good meals.

Oh, I was just making a joke. Many people will tell you how to do something when their experience level is...different ..from what is being discussed.

And wine with meals is always good. :sun

kdawg
01-02-2009, 20:21
I am trying this thing called walking.. with a pack 20 lbs to start....After going to to school fulltime and working fulltime as well I have found myself somewhat sore. Its funny in my mind I am still 23 but my body gives me a reality check. But after each walk the soreness gets less and less.

kdawg

yappy
01-02-2009, 20:37
HI crumb..yeah, seems like once I take the snowshoes off the hiking is a whole lot easier ! The HEAT in Arizona may be what does me in in the Spring ! I will not be used to that.

Beano
02-20-2009, 21:01
crossfit, crossfit, crossfit, and more crossfit. Well said take-a-knee. for the rest of my life.

sleeman13
02-20-2009, 22:24
how am i training for my thru? let's see. i stuff my face with food with minimal exercise. this training program was personally recommended by a past thru-hiker. seems to be a favorite out on the trail.

snowhoe
02-21-2009, 01:02
Bow flex and elyptical machine.

q-tip
02-21-2009, 05:25
I live on Long Island where it is flat flat flat. I started in the gym with weights, upper 2x/wk--lower 2x/wk and 6 days cardio walking on the treadmill with a weight vest starting with 20 lbs for 20 mins. I had to start really slow, almonst died in July. In January started taking my pack to the gym for 1 hour walks on the treadmill with up to 40 mins at max elevation on the treadmill and doing trail walk of 2 hours. With my hike starting March 3rd, I have backed of a little on the weights and concentrated on walks with the pack in the 4-6 hour range 4 times a week loaded with 35 lbs. I used to live in NYC, you could surely turn some heads bounding down the avenues with your pack on. Having the pack on is a key for me. It has given my body a chance to get used to the stresses the weight puts on my joints from those unique angles. At 52 and a former competitive athlete for 20 years, starting slow is definitely tough, but I am convinced if I don't let my body get acclimated to the stresses of the trail I am bound for injury. Good luck with the training and the walk/run.

stickat04
02-21-2009, 05:36
Food and more food. Has always worked for me. I hope it works for me this trip. I do think I have been eating to much these last few weeks though.

3 weeks to go.

Lion King
02-23-2009, 13:31
Eat eat eat.

ChinMusic
02-23-2009, 13:42
At 52 and a former competitive athlete for 20 years, starting slow is definitely tough, but I am convinced if I don't let my body get acclimated to the stresses of the trail I am bound for injury. Good luck with the training and the walk/run.
Once you start your competitive instincts will tell you to go for too many miles. You will have to over-ride those instincts. Have a plan to take it slow and don't deviate. There are parts of your body that will need the time to trail-harden no matter how you prepare. At our age I think you know what I mean.

For a weekend, or week-long, trip this isn't so much of a big deal doing big miles. You can just go home and lick your wounds.

Lone Wolf
02-23-2009, 13:52
Busch beer and BBQ pork rinds

middle to middle
02-23-2009, 20:03
Just get out and do it !

Mzee
02-23-2009, 21:03
Running off at the mouth and jumping to conclusions.

sheepdog
02-23-2009, 22:07
Running off at the mouth and jumping to conclusions.
Lots of healthy folks on the WB then. Including me. :D