PDA

View Full Version : Where is the best shelter/secret shelters

snowhoe
12-05-2008, 12:43
For those of us who like to stay by or in shelters were do you think is the most beautiful shelter is at? Does anyone know about secret shelters that are not in any of the books or maybe just off the trail?

Manwich
12-05-2008, 13:07
There are secret shelters, but out of respect for the owners, a lot of people won't mention them publicly. I've stayed at the one in Jersey.

I usually hate telling people to use the search feature, but this is one of the exceptions where there's already more than enough information posted and I don't think Secret Shelters' Locales should be repeated...

But there is certainly enough information already posted to WB in terms of secret shelters' locations.

Johnny Thunder
12-05-2008, 13:12
There was this great one in Northern Vermont with a sign that said "This Way to Secret Shelter." Struck me as funny.

Slo-go'en
12-05-2008, 13:53
By "most beautiful shelter" do you mean the structure or the view from the shelter? Many of the shelters of recent construction are quite impressive. These are found all up and down the trail now.

As for best shelter with a view - and there aren't too many of these - the two which stand out in my mind are the Overmountain shelter in NC and Gentian Pond shelter, the last one in NH.

rafe
12-05-2008, 14:08
Bryant Ridge shelter, in southern VA... at least among those I've seen and stayed at. Someone really went to town with that design. But it's spacious and beautiful. As for the most beautiful shelter site... that would be (imo) Pierce Pond shelter in Maine.

vonfrick
12-05-2008, 14:32
you know if we tell you it won't be a secret anymore.

Rainman
12-05-2008, 14:39
My favorite two locations in Vermont are the view from kid Gore, although the structure itself is not great, and the view from Skyline Lodge, which is also a nice fully enclosed structure with a loft.

Frau
12-05-2008, 14:40
Hey von Frick! Long time no see...

Frau (currently trying to explain neurotransmitters to 10th graders)

vonfrick
12-05-2008, 15:15
Hey von Frick! Long time no see...

Frau (currently trying to explain neurotransmitters to 10th graders)

Hi! :) good luck with that- i'm trying to explain emission spectra to 10th graders as well. 20 minutes to go....

Manwich
12-05-2008, 15:20
crazy ass germans

fehchet
12-05-2008, 16:11
Cloud Pond Lean-to, Maine is located well. There is a wonderful hidden area by a lake on the 100 mile..........................................

Blue Jay
12-05-2008, 16:28
That's easy. The one O.3 from where you stand, freezing cold, soaked, tired and starving.

KG4FAM
12-05-2008, 16:41
Pierce Pond in Maine

Lilred
12-05-2008, 16:46
and I'm trying to teach slope intercept formula to my students. 30 minutes to go.....

Hooch
12-05-2008, 16:56
crazy ass germansReally. Someone shoulda told them the race for the A-bomb ended a long time ago. :D:eek:

Jeff
12-05-2008, 17:53
Great views from Goddard Shelter on Glastenbury in VT

Also, loved views from Riga Lean-To in CT

rafe
12-05-2008, 18:11
Great views from Goddard Shelter on Glastenbury in VT ...

Yup. I spent the last night of a ten-day section hike there, watching the heat lightning on a hot August night. Had the place to myself.

Lilred
12-05-2008, 19:26
The view from Overmountain was fantastic when I was there. Clear night (after it rained) and a full moon hung over that valley. GORGEOUS!!

sticks&stones
12-05-2008, 19:31
There is a secret shelter on top of Clingmans Dome. I discovered it by chance, and have never heard of another hiker who has stayed in it, or even mentioned it. It's dry, and has a door, not bad really. It's right on the summit too

Tennessee Viking
12-05-2008, 20:14
The Barn gets the award for biggest capacity & best views. Mountaineer Falls gets the best new shelter award. Roan High gets the award for 4-walls.

Feral Bill
12-05-2008, 21:08
I bit of blue blazing in Harriman SP can get you to some beautiful shelters.

Tinker
12-05-2008, 22:43
Cooper Brook Lean-to - Maine. Overlooks a nice brook (small river, actually). The area right in front of the shelter is dammed up to form a small pond with larg rocks to jump off of. I ate lunch there in Sept.

Cookerhiker
12-05-2008, 22:52
A few come to mind. Another vote for Pierce Pond in Maine. Also liked Ed Garvey in MD with its nice southern exposure on a winter's day and Rice Field in Virginia.

Not part of the AT but Butler Lodge on the LT has always been my favorite with its westward view of Lake Champlain and the Adirondacks.

KG4FAM
12-05-2008, 22:58
Also liked Ed Garvey in MD with its nice southern exposure on a winter's day...Good sunrise at Ed Garvey when the leaves are down.

The Lookout in VT is another good one. Had a good sunrise there with the clouds in the valley.

Joey
12-05-2008, 23:15
Stayed at almost all of them in the Smokies except for Double Springs, Pecks Corner, Kephart, Cosby Knob and Davenport Gap. Headin to Overmountain in the morning from Carvers Gap. From what I've been told, I am in for a treat regardless of the weather.

Cabin Fever
12-05-2008, 23:41
The Barn gets the award for biggest capacity & best views. Mountaineer Falls gets the best new shelter award. Roan High gets the award for 4-walls.

Biased are we?

Cabin Fever
12-05-2008, 23:45
Sitting on the rocks behind Thomas Knob Shelter in Grayson Highlands is tough to beat around here. Other than Overmountain of course.

Joey
12-05-2008, 23:48
Heard Thomas Knob can be a doozie in high winds and snowy weather. Would like to visit that one soon too!

weary
12-06-2008, 00:12
I'm reluctant to mention this, but a genuine secret -- and beautiful -- shelter exists a quarter mile or so off the road that leads to what is now the White Brook Trail -- 30 years ago the AT.

It won't be useful to many, if any, thru hikers. But for people exploring the so called "hundred mile wilderness" Drive up the road from the "HIgh Bridge" leading to the White Brook Trail that leads to the Appalachian Trail and the summit of Whitecap. After about a mile or so, maybe more, of driving you come to a slight upgrade, and to the east an overgrown road to White Brook. Once at the brook, turn south and within a 100 or 200 yards you will find the old White Brook Shelter, or you could a couple of years ago when I last visited with Earle and Margie of The Cabin.

The shelter is, or was, spectacular, sitting on the shore of one of the great streams found in Maine or any where, a stream where my two boys 30 years ago caught their first trout.

The shelter is now mostly used by fishermen. Nor is it easy to find. IN addition to the unmarked overgrown road, beavers have flooded part of the route.

But search it out when you are in the area, especially in June. You may in your search also come across a spectacular bed of rare yellow lady slippers. I did. And if you are lucky enough to find the shelter carry out any trash. This is a gem that deserves protection.

Weary

rafe
12-06-2008, 00:27
Not part of the AT but Butler Lodge on the LT has always been my favorite with its westward view of Lake Champlain and the Adirondacks.

And I recall watching the sun rise over Champlain and the Green mountains after spending a night alone on an open ridge in the Adirondacks. The day before, at sunset, and from the same spot, I watched the shadow of the DAKs move eastward across the lake and up the west slopes of those Vermont hills. Pretty cool.

boarstone
12-06-2008, 07:36
cloud Pond Lean-to, Maine Is Located Well. There Is A Wonderful Hidden Area By A Lake On The 100 Mile..........................................

Sshhhhhhh!

boarstone
12-06-2008, 07:39
I'm reluctant to mention this, but a genuine secret -- and beautiful -- shelter exists a quarter mile or so off the road that leads to what is now the White Brook Trail -- 30 years ago the AT.

It won't be useful to many, if any, thru hikers. But for people exploring the so called "hundred mile wilderness" Drive up the road from the "HIgh Bridge" leading to the White Brook Trail that leads to the Appalachian Trail and the summit of Whitecap. After about a mile or so, maybe more, of driving you come to a slight upgrade, and to the east an overgrown road to White Brook. Once at the brook, turn south and within a 100 or 200 yards you will find the old White Brook Shelter, or you could a couple of years ago when I last visited with Earle and Margie of The Cabin.

The shelter is, or was, spectacular, sitting on the shore of one of the great streams found in Maine or any where, a stream where my two boys 30 years ago caught their first trout.

The shelter is now mostly used by fishermen. Nor is it easy to find. IN addition to the unmarked overgrown road, beavers have flooded part of the route.

But search it out when you are in the area, especially in June. You may in your search also come across a spectacular bed of rare yellow lady slippers. I did. And if you are lucky enough to find the shelter carry out any trash. This is a gem that deserves protection.

Weary

Weary, I could just slap you! :DSHHHHHSH
Stop it already! I'm not about to let my secret places out!

boarstone
12-06-2008, 07:41
Oh, did I forget to mention? The road after High bridge is WASHED OUT! Sorry, can't get there from there!

Grampie
12-06-2008, 13:41
In my estimation the best shelter on the AT is the cabin on Upper Goose Pond. There is no other like it on the whole AT. It is located on a beautiful glacier pond with great swimming and a canoe that thru-hikers can use. The cabin has a kitchen, living room with a fireplace and a bunk room up-stairs. The bunk room sleeps 14 hikers on bunks with nice mattresses.
The resident caretaker will make you pancakes and coffee in the morning. The cabin belongs to the NPS and is run by the Birkshire branch of the AMC. There is no charge to stay, but donations are excepted.:welcome

mudhead
12-06-2008, 13:47
Oh, did I forget to mention? The road after High bridge is WASHED OUT! Sorry, can't get there from there!

That road did take a pounding, when it washed out.

Grampie
12-06-2008, 13:52
For a long time Jim Murray's shelter on Goldsmith Road New York was called the "Secret Shelter." Jim built this nice shelter for the use of thru-hikers and for a long time it wasn't listed in any of the books. The shelter is located in a nice pasture about 100 yards from the AT. The cabin has electricity with a common area downstairs and a sleeping loft above. An out building had hot showers and a washing machine. Jim does not charge to stay. If you stay, be shure to drop him a line to tell him how much you enjoyed his shelter.:sun

Red Hat
12-06-2008, 14:05
There is a secret shelter on top of Clingmans Dome. I discovered it by chance, and have never heard of another hiker who has stayed in it, or even mentioned it. It's dry, and has a door, not bad really. It's right on the summit too

I guess you mean the visitor's center... several folks stayed in the restroom there during the April Blizzard of 2005.

KG4FAM
12-06-2008, 14:17
I guess you mean the visitor's center... several folks stayed in the restroom there during the April Blizzard of 2005.There is a little closet at the bottom of the ramp.

springerfever
12-07-2008, 21:39
Not actually a shelter, but a southern firetower...........

I like...accidentally, yeah accidentally.. fell asleep in it a few years back after a recent snowfall. Temperature dipped down to 13 degrees that night, but I was rewarded with the most amazing sunrise the following morning...

any guesses..........?