PDA

View Full Version : Protein

ATX-Hiker
12-05-2008, 13:55
Does anybody pack some sort of protein supplement on the trail. Like the powdered kind jocks drink? You can mix it in hot chocolate, pudding or just mix it with water. you need your protein as well as your carbs.

Lucy Lulu
12-05-2008, 13:58
I used Muscle Milk powder (chocolate mint & strawberry) mixed with whole milk powder. It tastes just like a milk shake when mixed with water. I used it on the PCT towards the latter part of the hike, and felt it made a difference in energy levels.

I mixed it before leaving for the hike, and periodically had it mailed to me on the trail.

Manwich
12-05-2008, 14:00
MUSCLLEEEE MIIILLLKKK

PROOOTEEEIIIIIN (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JMOh-cul6M)

Sorry, Being in such proximity to New York City has jaded me :-/

I'd never bother with a separate suppliment like Whey Protein (though it does make a good hot chocolate) because I can get enough protein out of my favorites anyway. Peanut Butter, Eggs, Quinoa are all great sources.

Serial 07
12-05-2008, 14:11
are you a vegetarian? i'll assume so...i did it for a while, but it became a hassle...there are gonna be limitations on availability that's for sure...if you are getting it from mail drops that's cool...but like totem said, if you are eating the right foods, you should be okay...IMO...

ATX-Hiker
12-05-2008, 14:25
I'm not a vegetarian by any means. I'm just protein hungry.

Stay away from:banana they have an enzyme in them that turns you into mosquito candy, or so I've been told.

Serial 07
12-05-2008, 14:28
not veggie, then pack extra meat!

ATX-Hiker
12-05-2008, 14:43
I usually pack a tomahawk and a loin cloth. Fresh squirrel really adds some zest to lipton noodles.

JK

Frau
12-05-2008, 14:44
I pack low carb vanilla protein powder. I mix it with java juice for cold(depending on temp.) coffee. Sometimes I pack a coffee flavored powder and eliminate the java juice. I am a gastric bypass pt. and need lots of protein. Meat is difficult for me to digest.

Frau

dradius
12-05-2008, 14:46
not to argue, but bananas have potassium which some say helps with cramping muscles. who knows.

Manwich
12-05-2008, 14:57
I'm not sure why bananas were brought into this... They have little protein to speak of.

jesse
12-05-2008, 15:34
I am not a long distance hiker. On my weekend hikes for breakfast, I take whey protien mixed with non-fat powdered milk, add water and shake it in a bottle. I have found it does not make good hot chocalate, because the protien gets real gummy, and does not dissolve in the hot water.

take-a-knee
12-05-2008, 19:32
I am not a long distance hiker. On my weekend hikes for breakfast, I take whey protien mixed with non-fat powdered milk, add water and shake it in a bottle. I have found it does not make good hot chocalate, because the protien gets real gummy, and does not dissolve in the hot water.

I had the same problem with Met/Rx protein powder. I switched to Pro Labs Whey Isolate (the last word is key, isolate is a purer, more bioavailable form) and it mixes better and leave less gummy mess to clean up. I plan to try premixing Nido whole milk with the Prolab powder and sealing it up inside a Food Saver vaccuum packed bag. Make the bag large enough to clip the sealed corner, add water and shake. Drink it and trash the bag, no clean up. If you don't do something like this you have to carry a Nalgene and it'll need to be boiled out occasionally.

The Zone Diet reccommends between 0.5 and 1.0 grams per pound of lean body mass. A hiker would need closer to 1.0gm/#, that is probably twice as much as most consume. 25% of your bones are collagen fibers, that's protein folks, wonder why people get stress fractures?

mudhead
12-05-2008, 20:05
1.0g per lb or per kilo?

take-a-knee
12-05-2008, 20:23
1.0g per lb or per kilo?

1.0 pre pound of lean body mass, IE 200# man with 20% bodyfat equals 160# of lean body mass. The 1.0/# figure is for loggers and MMA fighters, and, I would assert, hikers who are doing a lot of daily miles. A sedentary person would require half that, or 0.5 gm/#. Most Crossfitters with a desk job use 0.7 gm/# and seem to gain muscle at that level. If your activity level goes up and your protein intake doesn't, you body will consume itself.

JumpInTheLake
12-05-2008, 20:36
For short trips it's not an issue. We can handle short term deprivation just fine. It's what you eat most of the time that matters. I eat generous portions of fatty meat once or twice every day, but on my weekend treks I live on delicious and non-nutritious Ramen Noodles and Hershey chocolate.

Long trips require actual planning.

rafe
12-05-2008, 20:45
...wonder why people get stress fractures?

Maybe it's from walking too far, too fast, with too much weight on their backs or in their bellies. We talk about the health & spiritual benefit of hiking, but the fact is that a lot of long-distance hikers get whacked with all sorts of injuries and illnesses. And it's not just the newbies that get hurt.

Deadeye
12-06-2008, 00:24
I pack cans of chicken, tuna, salmon, etc. and powdered milk for protein. I know... cans are heavy, but I like real food when hiking. I keep my pack & gear weight down, and splurge on fresh veggies, fruit and meat. And some chocolate whey powder ain't bad either.

Wise Old Owl
12-09-2008, 23:29
I usually pack a tomahawk and a loin cloth. Fresh squirrel really adds some zest to lipton noodles.

JK

http://www.travelingtiger.com/travelingtiger/laos/misc/images/roastedrat.jpg

Put's survival and protein on a whole new level.... I'll try it. once.

Darn it I got tricked into a thread swerve.

Mags
12-09-2008, 23:43
Summer sausage/hard salami during the day. Tuna pouch for dinner. This can all be bought in most towns without needing maildrops.

In town? A BIG BURGER! (http://bertramsbrewery.com/node/5)
(Belly Buster)

This is hiking...KISS. :)

KG4FAM
12-10-2008, 00:12
MUSCLLEEEE MIIILLLKKK

PROOOTEEEIIIIIN (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JMOh-cul6M)

Sorry, Being in such proximity to New York City has jaded me :-/
Thank you. Its been a while since I have seen that.

The Mechanical Man
12-10-2008, 00:48
I like Sardines, or Tuna, not sure if you can get them in powdered form. :-?

nitewalker
12-10-2008, 08:13
I pack cans of chicken, tuna, salmon, etc. and powdered milk for protein. I know... cans are heavy, but I like real food when hiking. I keep my pack & gear weight down, and splurge on fresh veggies, fruit and meat. And some chocolate whey powder ain't bad either.

try the small pop top cans of bush's baked beans, yummmy and loaded with the protein. u can cook them rite in the can on top of the pocket rocket stove..are they good..:banana:banana

ATX-Hiker
12-10-2008, 09:51
try the small pop top cans of bush's baked beans, yummmy and loaded with the protein. u can cook them rite in the can on top of the pocket rocket stove..are they good..:banana:banana

You shouldn't cook directly out of cans. They contain a epoxy coating, aka BPA. http://www.bisphenol-a.org/human/epoxycan.html

There's a reason they came up with BPA-free water bottles and bladders. Just my .02.

Wise Old Owl
12-10-2008, 10:25
You shouldn't cook directly out of cans. They contain a epoxy coating, aka BPA. http://www.bisphenol-a.org/human/epoxycan.html

There's a reason they came up with BPA-free water bottles and bladders. Just my .02.

ATX BPA isn't everywhere and folk have been low heat cooking beans in cans for years, although I have asked your question directly to some bean manufacturing companies and waiting for a reply.

mudhead
12-10-2008, 10:29
I wonder how much lead I've sucked down from the solder in the seam of a #10 can. I wonder what they coated the inside of those cans with back in the dark ages.

ATX-Hiker
12-10-2008, 10:56
ATX BPA isn't everywhere and folk have been low heat cooking beans in cans for years, although I have asked your question directly to some bean manufacturing companies and waiting for a reply.

How long have you been waiting for the reply?

Wise Old Owl
12-10-2008, 18:37
How long have you been waiting for the reply?

Got it back in four hours - doesn't quite answer the question but it still makes a good read!
Bush Beans

Dear Mr. ****

Thank you for contacting us.

The lining of our cans is a food grade enamel coating. This coating is used as a standard throughout the canned food industry to protect the contents. While the lining does contain Bispenol-A at a very low level, the FDA has taken the position that such can coatings and sealing compound is safe and presents no risk to health.
We do not recommend heating our product in the can over a campfire. First of all, I was able to find in the literature several articles that stated that the temperatures in a campfire are in the range of 500 - 650 degrees C (932 F - 1202 F).
We do not use can liner materials or end sealing compounds that can stand-up to these temperatures. In fact, I am not aware of any commercial lining materials and end sealant compounds that can stand-up to these temperatures. Although our current liner and end sealant materials are approved for their intended use in a can that is retorted (cooked) in the temperature range of 240 - 255 F, they are not approved nor have they even been studied at the typical temperatures that can exist in a campfire.
I hope this information is helpful. And thank you for contacting us with your interest in Bush Brothers & Company products.

Sincerely,
Teesee Moore
Consumer Relations Coordinator

I didn't mention a campfire - what I said was on a stove. still a surprise!-WOO

GeneralLee10
12-10-2008, 23:21
ON Whey protein is very good has a good chocolate taste and always mixes well. Good with water and milk one thing I have read is that if you cook with a protein supplement or mix it then let it sit it does break down the protein do not quote me on it as I could be wrong. I get my ON Whey protein at GNC.

ofthearth
12-11-2008, 14:38
Got it back in four hours - doesn't quite answer the question but it still makes a good read!
Bush Beans

Dear Mr. ****

Thank you for contacting us.

The lining of our cans is a food grade enamel coating. This coating is used as a standard throughout the canned food industry to protect the contents. While the lining does contain Bispenol-A at a very low level, the FDA has taken the position that such can coatings and sealing compound is safe and presents no risk to health.
We do not recommend heating our product in the can over a campfire. First of all, I was able to find in the literature several articles that stated that the temperatures in a campfire are in the range of 500 - 650 degrees C (932 F - 1202 F).
We do not use can liner materials or end sealing compounds that can stand-up to these temperatures. In fact, I am not aware of any commercial lining materials and end sealant compounds that can stand-up to these temperatures. Although our current liner and end sealant materials are approved for their intended use in a can that is retorted (cooked) in the temperature range of 240 - 255 F, they are not approved nor have they even been studied at the typical temperatures that can exist in a campfire.
I hope this information is helpful. And thank you for contacting us with your interest in Bush Brothers & Company products.

Sincerely,
Teesee Moore
Consumer Relations Coordinator

I didn't mention a campfire - what I said was on a stove. still a surprise!-WOO

Dear Mr. **** I sure hope you replied and told them thanks for the info. I'm impressed with the response and particularly " First of all, I was able to find in the literature several articles that stated that the temperatures in a campfire are in the range of 500 - 650 degrees C (932 F - 1202 F)." Makes me think I should eat more BUSH BEANS.:rolleyes:

Plodderman
12-11-2008, 14:56
No, I carry chicken and some power bars for protein.

JAK
12-11-2008, 15:08
How about those instant breakfasts?
Skim milk powder milk + sugar + artifical flavour + packaging.
It just sells itself don't it?

brooklynkayak
12-16-2008, 23:12
not to argue, but bananas have potassium which some say helps with cramping muscles. who knows.

So do nuts. High in protein, maybe not complete, but they are pretty dang nutritious and have a pretty good amount of fat, carbs and potassium. I won't touch Gatorade, but I do tend to carry lots of banana chips and an assortment of nuts.

brooklynkayak
12-16-2008, 23:24
Oh, yeah, the subject was protein. Again nuts are a good source. You can get them at almost any town and they keep well. Peanut butter is a good source of protein as well as potassium, fiber, carbs and fat, but technically peanuts aren't nuts as peanuts are a legume.

Jerky is also available at any town, 7-elevens, gas stations,... Very highly concentrated with protein. You can chop it up and combine with rice, pasta, oatmeal, instant mash potatoes, ... and some dehydrated veggies, cook it up and rest for 30 or 40 minutes. Makes a very satisfying and balanced dinner stew.

garlic08
12-17-2008, 00:11
A very generous and well-meaning section hiker gave me one of his coveted "Met-Rx 100" protein bars--how could I refuse? (Actually, I yogied shamelessly.) I read the label, the first ingredient is high fructose corn syrup. Yecch. I'll stay with cheese, tuna, nuts, powdered milk, etc.

freefall
12-17-2008, 00:15
I made sure I got protein at least two nights a week on the trail. Usually through Tuna, nuts or summer sausage. When in town I would load up on protein at every meal.

Dogwood
12-17-2008, 01:22
With a little attention to food labels U should be able to get all the protein U need directly from your trail food. U can get protein from animal products, but U certainly could also get it from non-animal sources. If U decide U need some added protein in the form of a drink or a powder Whey Protein Isolate is the most complete form of protein that I know. It has the most complete, or nearly complete, selection of amino acids in the right ratios. Many muscle/body building drinks contain Whey Protein Isolate for this reason. It is also found in many nutritional bars to up the protein content. As others have already stated Isolate is the key word here. Food labels that don't contain Isolate are not the same thing!

brooklynkayak
12-17-2008, 01:50
If U decide U need some added protein in the form of a drink or a powder Whey Protein Isolate is the most complete form of protein that I know.

Or even better is cheese or meat. Drinks or powder containing whey can't compete. Whey is the non-protein part of milk. I understand that they supplement it with soy and other proteins, but they can't compete with the full on balanced protein of jerky, salami, cheese. ....
Don't fall for the magazine/TV/infomercial types of nutrition.

take-a-knee
12-17-2008, 10:46
Or even better is cheese or meat. Drinks or powder containing whey can't compete. Whey is the non-protein part of milk. I understand that they supplement it with soy and other proteins, but they can't compete with the full on balanced protein of jerky, salami, cheese. ....
Don't fall for the magazine/TV/infomercial types of nutrition.

The most complete, bioavailable (100% absorbed) protein is egg white. Whey isolate is also an excellent source.

brooklynkayak
12-17-2008, 12:15
The most complete, bioavailable (100% absorbed) protein is egg white. Whey isolate is also an excellent source.

Egg white or eggs in general are good. Although you can alter weigh to get the small amount of protein out, why? To make money.

I know many weight lifting coaches who believe that protein powders are no better than real food.
I have never seen competition weight lifters use any whey based protein powders, they just eat lots of good, high in protein, but balanced foods.

Mens magazines are a poor source of nutritional information as their job is to sell advertising and their bigger advertisers are protein powder companies.

Magazines in general are a poor source of reality.

take-a-knee
12-17-2008, 13:35
Egg white or eggs in general are good. Although you can alter weigh to get the small amount of protein out, why? To make money.

I know many weight lifting coaches who believe that protein powders are no better than real food.
I have never seen competition weight lifters use any whey based protein powders, they just eat lots of good, high in protein, but balanced foods.

Mens magazines are a poor source of nutritional information as their job is to sell advertising and their bigger advertisers are protein powder companies.

Magazines in general are a poor source of reality.

Good points all, I agree protein powder is no better than "real food", the powder itself was processed from "real food" to begin with. The term "isolate" requires a purity and bioavailability level much higher than standard protein powders, you get what you pay for. It is unarguably the most conveinent way for a hiker to maintain an adequate protein intake, because it is a powder. At home, it is just one option among many. If you are into the Zone Diet (I think it is one of the keys to health and longevity) then cooking with protein powder to achieve its reccomended 4/3 ratio of carbs/protein is viable option.

Strength trainer Mark Rippetoe says all you need to do is drink a lot of milk.

brooklynkayak
12-17-2008, 17:07
The term "isolate" requires a purity and bioavailability level much higher than standard protein powders, you get what you pay for. It is unarguably the most conveinent way for a hiker to maintain an adequate protein intake, because it is a powder.

I guess this is starting to sound like a religion/political discussion:eek:

In reality, you will not get the proper amount of protein in your daily diet unless you mix in an adequate amount of snake oil:-?

Farr Away
12-17-2008, 17:39

Oh, please NO!!! lol

take-a-knee
12-17-2008, 22:27

In reality, you will not get the proper amount of protein in your daily diet unless you mix in an adequate amount of snake oil:-?

I don't know if you went to college and were required to take a reading comprehension test like the Regents, which may be a good thing 'cause you would've flunked it. That or you have some serious cognitive dissonance going on.

Cookerhiker
12-17-2008, 22:47
My main protein source: Lots of peanuts, good for efficient calories, protein and salt. I keep them in a separate bag from trail mix. Also, I grind them at home in the blender to make a powdery paste and then reconstitute them on the Trail and serve with rice. Of course if you're thruhiking, that only works if you're doing maildrops.

Also I used to pack powdered milk a lot but I've phased away from it.

brooklynkayak
12-18-2008, 11:07
I don't know if you went to college and were required to take a reading comprehension test like the Regents, which may be a good thing 'cause you would've flunked it. That or you have some serious cognitive dissonance going on.

I think your in the wrong forum. This is not a language skills forum. That kind of insult doesn't really belong, does it?

minnesotasmith
12-19-2008, 11:06
Summer sausage/hard salami during the day.

Summer sausage, like regular SPAM and Vienna Sausage, has a great deal of fat, especially saturated fat, that is in place of the desired protein, that a hiker pays for, and lugs, without payoff. All of those products would IMO be more accurately labeled as "Lard garnished with (low-quality) meat". I suggest hikers instead buy meat with several times as many calories from protein as fat. That would mean for land animal meat, pick leaner beef cuts over fattier ones, bison or venison over beef, beef over pork, poultry over mammal meat, etc. I have also added small Ziploc bags of egg white powder to nearly all my mail drops for my upcoming thruhike to add to casseroles to raise my protein intake, and suggest others do this.

Fish and shellfish of all types comes to mind for the best protein/sat fat ratios, though. On fish, try to pick ones with Omega-3 oils (but from smaller fish than tuna/swordfish to limit heavy metal contamination) preferentially. On shellfish commonly available in hiker-convenient forms, clams are arguably nutritionally tops IMO (less cholesterol than in shrimp if memory serves, and essentially no fat, which you want to be getting from nuts and olive oil).

P.S. on beans as a protein source during hikes...

1) Dehydrated ones make way more sense to carry than canned ones. You can pick up water along the way; why pay for it and carry it, in heavy cans?

2) Beans are not complete proteins. They need to be eaten with a source of essential amino acids they're low in (such as lysine). Rice is a good choice, but some animal protein (meat/milk/egg whites) makes a bean meal even better nutritionally.