PDA

View Full Version : How waterproof?

Ender3D
12-05-2008, 22:48
I ordered some 1.1 silnylon from quest outfitters. was wondering if anyone can tell me how waterproof this stiff is supposed to be?

http://www.questoutfitters.com/fabric%20coated-cart.html#SILNYLON%201.1%20OZ%20RIPSTOP

I cut a small sample of this off and put it over a up and poured some water in on the silnylon. After about an hour, a few ounces of water had dripped through. Is this normal for this cloth? I had been expecting something a bit more resistant to leaking.

I ordered the gray 2nds. thinking this might have something to do with it.

Tinker
12-05-2008, 22:54
I think that a few ounces dripping through is excessive. Are you sure you got silnylon and not dwr nylon. Both can be bought in the 1.1 oz/yd. weight.
Silnylon should not leak at all when the water comes from above but, used under a sleeping pad, the pressure from above can force some dampness through.

Ender3D
12-05-2008, 23:52
WEll, according to the site, what i ordered is the silnylon, but I'm thinking that what they sent me was the DWR.

do you think that 1.1 DWR would be sturdy enough for a hammock? (for a tall lank 150 pound guy like me?

Tinker
12-05-2008, 23:57
WEll, according to the site, what i ordered is the silnylon, but I'm thinking that what they sent me was the DWR.

do you think that 1.1 DWR would be sturdy enough for a hammock? (for a tall lank 150 pound guy like me?

It should be plenty strong enough for you. If you did indeed get non-sil nylon, you're due a refund. I suggest you contact Quest about it, and, if necessary, send them a small piece so they can tell whether or not they made a shipping error.

Ender3D
12-06-2008, 00:53
Thats what I was planning on doing. thanks for the idea though of sending them a sample of it. I'm hoping that they'll be good about it but from the good feedback and communication I've gotten from them, I'm pretty optimistic about it.

Even it it does turn out to really be silnylon, it should still make a decent hammock.

Thanks for the help