PDA

View Full Version : Meteor Showers for the Holidays

Tennessee Viking
12-06-2008, 00:46
For those star gazers out there:

Beginning tonight and running through Dec. 18, the Geminids are expected to streak all over the sky, with experts saying up to 120 to 160 shooting stars per hour will be visible from the east. The best night to look for the Geminids will be Dec. 14.

From Dec. 17 to Dec. 25, the Ursids will be producing up to 15 shooting stars per hour and will be best seen to the north. Their peak night will be Dec. 23.

The meteor showers are named the Geminids and Ursids due to where the particles originate — the constellations Gemini and Ursa Minor, respectively.

boarstone
12-06-2008, 07:25
Hey thanks for the heads-up on the meteor showers! Wish for clear skies and hot toddies!....

woodsy
12-06-2008, 08:01
Meteor Showers for the Holidays
so thats whats going on.
I saw an incredible flash and a long flickering trail two nights ago in the eastern sky
Meteor burning up!
saw another not so spectacular one early this AM.

Egads
12-06-2008, 08:07
Cowboy camped last and all I saw was a one eyed cat. Too much light pollution in my woods

mudhead
12-06-2008, 14:32
so thats whats going on.
I saw an incredible flash and a long flickering trail two nights ago in the eastern sky
Meteor burning up!
saw another not so spectacular one early this AM.

You see the dashcam footage of the one that lit up the provincial border near Edmonton, Alberta?

That was impressive. Got me thinking about caves to hide in...

J5man
12-06-2008, 21:07
I saw the Leonids meteor shower a few years ago while sitting in a deer stand waiting for the sun to come up. Very cool experience!

George
12-06-2008, 21:22
saw the meteor getting on the bus at the refinery north of edmonton, it was close to impact