PDA

View Full Version : Experience with Osprey Packs

Passionphish
12-06-2008, 08:17
I'm looking specifically at the Aether and Argon Series packs. I am usually loaded in the 20-30 lbs range including food and water. I use a ULA Circuit.

But we are getting a dog, and planning on expanding our family. I know this is an open ended question, but...

On heavier loads (40+), what are your experiences with these packs, or any other that you might recommend or reject?

My family and I hike. We do not base camp much. We usually hike at the least two nights but sometimes more. Rarely do we do more than a week or two.

-Passionphish

superman
12-06-2008, 08:30
I used a 3500 CI Osprey Impala for 90% of my AT thru and a lot of other trails. It has been very durable under adverse conditions. Osprey stands behind their packs. Osprey will do the job for you in my opinon.

BookBurner
12-06-2008, 09:50
Osprey designers have always seemed to loathe exterior pockets. Don't know why. But pockets might be nice if you need to quickly stow or retrieve leashes, dog treats, sippy bottles, etc. in the future. Food for thought.

brianos
12-06-2008, 11:16
I got an Osprey Aether 70 earlier this year and have used it on 4 weekend trips so far. I love this pack! I'm usually carrying 35-40lb... yeah, heavy, but about 20lb lighter than 5 years ago (when I was carrying add'l gear for my young'un!). About 20% of that weight is water. Should also note that I've not yet needed the add'l space provided by the spindrift collar of the main compartment.

The side pockets are made of a stretchy spandex type of material; each pocket is big enough to hold a 1L nalgene water bottle plus support your tent poles (or hiking poles), and secure enough that your bottle shouldn't fall out. Similar material covers the top of the rear stretch pocket. I use the rear pocket for a spare water bottle, 1st aid supplies, pack cover, and other items I might need while on the trail.

Most important to me is how comfort & stable it carries the load. It's provided me with excellent balance - had no trouble last month scrambling over Little Rocky Ridge/Sunset Rocks (near Pine Grove Furnace, PA) in full pack. And as others have noted, I've been quite impressed with the quality of Osprey's products.

Homer&Marje
12-06-2008, 11:22
You should send Jason of the Woods a PM and see if he can help you. He has been testing packs for Osprey for the past couple months, if anyone knows about their newer product he does.

Alligator
12-06-2008, 11:42
I've had an Aether 60 for about five years or so. It handles loads really well, I use it in the Spring and Fall. If you are going to expand, as in being a Daddy, I'd suggest something bigger in the line. Between my wife, me and my first child, our two Aether 60's didn't quite have enough room for an early spring trip. (She had a Luna). You probably could do it with down bags though. We had some bulky fleece as well for her and the child. On the other hand, I was able to use my Aether 60 for a late Spring trip with me and one child. Backpacking with a child may be under bulky loads, not necessarily heavy.

I'm usually loaded in the 20-30 lb range. In the summer, I have a lighter pack. I've got both a Vapor Trail and an REI UL45, but I think I will be switching to a Conduit this year for warmer weather. That 2009 model looks nice:sun. In my Aether 30-40 lbs is fine. I think most times it's in the low 30's loaded in the Aether, just to be specific.

skinewmexico
12-06-2008, 13:49
Make the dog carry his own food. And you might look at the Osprey Exos 58 when it comes out.

leprechaun
12-06-2008, 14:38
ive had an aether 75 for several years now. It carries a heavy load fairly easily, and comfortably. they don't make that size anymore, but the design is almost exactly the same. I also got an Atmos a few months ago and love it too. Osprey makes good stuff, I've never heard of any backpack made by them being just a piece of junk or crapping out on anyone.

Passionphish
12-06-2008, 17:29
Thanks for all the replies!!! Clearly Osprey make good packs. I will look to these packs!

Will the fact that I am 6 ft 230 lbs cause any fit issues? 40" waist and all.

Compass
12-06-2008, 17:34
Osprey Atmos 50 is very versatile and can carry 40 lbs. with no damage at 700 miles.

The side pockets fits 1 liter Gatoraide and Nalgene bottles but are snug when main compartment is stuffed.

Compass
12-06-2008, 17:42
The Atmos large is designed for a 20" torso height but works for me at 21.5"OK. The waist of the large goes down to a 34" but has lots of extra webbing(10" maybe) for a 44" guess. Contact them they should have this information.

mudhead
12-06-2008, 17:54
Even if an Osprey pack has a sewn in belt, they will sew in a different size for you. Don't know the charge. Probably reasonable.

TJBaker
12-06-2008, 19:43
Just to to throw out another view....

I thru hiked 07 with a gregory...

Was looking for a somewhat smaller pack for shorter term use. Bought an Aether 60 earlier this year and used it twice.....hated the feel of it on my back. Bought another Gregory.

Not all body shapes are the same.

Radar 07

Passionphish
12-07-2008, 08:59
Thanks for the many replies! I will look at both the Osprey and the Gregory packs. Any others I should look at?

Franco
12-07-2008, 21:51
Just this w/e I had a discussion about the Osprey packs in general. It seems that most hikers that own them are happy with them . Specifically there were Talons, Aether 60 and 70 and a Crescent,
I have the Osprey 60 (very nice for me up to 25 lbs, OK up to 35 lbs) but now prefer to use the Circuit ( mostly because it is lighter and I like the hip belt pockets and the huge front pocket for my tent and rain gear) or the Aarn's (for heavier than 25 lbs loads) . If the circuit fits you, then I would suggest the Catalyst , about 800 cu in more and 8-10 lbs more weight at the same comfort level of the Circuit. BTW I would prefer the roll-top closure of the Catalyst
Franco

ianjoe59
12-07-2008, 23:18
Another Aether 70 user here. I love it.
Fits my 6'1" 260 frame fine. They are very adjustable (torso length). When I was looking at a packs, I was comparing it to a Gregory Baltoro. The Baltoro's straps just didn't fit right, and wasn't as adjustable. Plus the Aether was lighter. There is that new Gregory Z65 that you might try. My wife has two Gregory packs, Jade and Z55, and loves them.
Have fun shopping,
ian

drastic_quench
12-08-2008, 00:17
I've got an Atmos 65. I like it, but there's a learning curve when it comes to packing it. I don't think it would feel too great with anything over 35lbs.

John B
12-08-2008, 08:35
I have the Aether 60 and also the ULA Circuit. For the Aether, it's a good, sturdy pack that seems to be a bit lighter than other similar "main brand" packs. I've never had it loaded to more than 28 lbs (gear + 4 1/2 days food + 2 liters water), so I can't say how it would feel with +40.

Although the volume capacity is about the same between the two packs, the Aether can hold more internally. If I'm carrying my WM Antelope, try as I might, I can't get it to fit inside the Circuit with the other minimal gear that I carry; however, I can with the Aether 60.

Try as I might, I can't reach to the side pockets to get a water bottle while I'm wearing the pack -- I have to take it off to do that -- so I solved the problem by getting a bottle carrier to attach to the hip belt on the front. Maybe I'm just too big and unflexible to do it, though, and perhaps others can get at the water on the side pocket sans problem.

The hipbelt and suspension on the Aether are comfortable. On my Aether, it doesn't have the little storage pockets on the hipbelt as does the ULA Circuit, but perhaps on more recent models they've added that feature.

I'm not used to my ULA Circuit and maybe I'll change my mind later, but right now I much prefer my Aether 60 even though it's over a pound heavier. Maybe it's just what I'm used to.

Good luck.

daddytwosticks
12-08-2008, 08:53
I got a 2003 Aether 60...max I have carried was about 32#. This is a nice pack and I can easily reach the water bottles in the pockets. Also have an Atmos 50. Max I have carried in the 50 was about 28#. Both packs are nice for their suited purpose.

Peaks
12-08-2008, 08:55
I've got an Atmos 65. I like it, but there's a learning curve when it comes to packing it. I don't think it would feel too great with anything over 35lbs.

For me, it's definately not comfortable over about 35 pounds.

But, in general, you can't go wrong with either an Osprey or Gregory backpack.

buz
12-08-2008, 10:39
John B, U are not alone on the side water bottle pockets in the Aether line. I have the 70, and the side pockets are a joke if the pack is loaded. Can't use them for bottles, at least I can't. Too tight and badly placed.

That being said, I like the pack. My 70 comfortably carries loads up to 35 pounds, over that it gets more uncomfortable. That is a lot of weight thou, and up to 40, it was bearable, no real issues. Fit of whatever pack u choose is most important, and for me, the only way was to go to a good outfitter, get proper size, load up with their weight bags, to max weight u may carry, walk around store/wear in store. Took about 1/2 an hour to weed out the not best fitters. For finals, I use REI store, and I gave them my visa card, and walked out the store with a loaded pack, went to a park, paraded around a while and returned. Got me the best fit pack.
good luck.

Tilly
12-08-2008, 11:03
I love my Osprey. It's an Ariel, the woman's version of the Aether. It weighs 3#, which for me is a good compromise between weight, comfort, and durability. The pack is all the above.

FWIW, I noticed that the back actually carries better the more heavily loaded it is. Not talking anything crazy, but when I'm at the end of the week out and I'm carrying 15#, the pack does not become uncomfortable to carry after I resupply...just heavier if that makes sense.