PDA

View Full Version : waterproofing maps

Pickleodeon
12-06-2008, 11:17
Do people waterprrof their maps or carry those waterproof map pouches? I just want to know if it's a waste of time and money or if it's worth it. Thanks!

Pedaling Fool
12-06-2008, 11:19
The hiking maps purchased from the ATC are waterproof.

Homer&Marje
12-06-2008, 11:20
You can make them waterproof by using clear contact paper from Lowes or Home Depot. It's like instant lamination. I usually do it just for small maps, larger maps I keep in zip locks.

rafe
12-06-2008, 11:29
I often print material on a laser printer that I take with me on hikes. It travels in a sturdy Ziploc. But if I've got time and I think of it, I might spray it with Krylon or some equivalent clear sealer. I did that this summer with my JMT maps, which I'd copied from the DeLorme Gazeteer for CA.

mudhead
12-06-2008, 12:29
I often print material on a laser printer that I take with me on hikes. It travels in a sturdy Ziploc. But if I've got time and I think of it, I might spray it with Krylon or some equivalent clear sealer. I did that this summer with my JMT maps, which I'd copied from the DeLorme Gazeteer for CA.

More specific on the clear sealer, please. I print stuff out and ziplock it. too. I would prefer to have waterproof if I purchase, but for the home seek and enjoy version I need better than that paint on goober.

Even I could spray a page!

rafe
12-06-2008, 12:47
More specific on the clear sealer, please.

You can get Krylon at AC Moore and crafts-shop or art-supply places. Dupont makes it. Make sure you apply it in a well-ventilated place. Here are some alternatives (http://www.mediastreet.com/s.nl/sc.15/category.866/.f) from mediastreet.com

mudhead
12-06-2008, 14:14
Thank you.

I can find a craft store. I have been printing topo or trail info, and printing the weather detail from Weatherunderground on the back. TMI, but nice to have on a dayhike. I like to know the wind direction forecast during the day. Don't know why, I just like it.

I suppose the spray would gob up the glasses as well.

Pickleodeon
12-06-2008, 15:10
Thanks! I'm planning on getting the ATC maps. But, those other suggestions are good for other maps. Thanks!

Mags
12-06-2008, 15:29
I'm all about the large ziplock myself... Simple. Cheap. Effective.

Most hiking maps are now waterproof FWIW.

(Just make sure you DO NOT keep the map folded in your map box if there is a little moisture, forget about it, and have it stick together. A bit later, part of the map now has a hole in it as you pry it apart. Not that I've even done this before. Ahem. ;))

The exception are ones you print out from a CD/website or the 7.5 quads that are popular for off-trail excursions due its detail.

ki0eh
12-06-2008, 22:26
I've done inkjet printing of photo maps at home (from mapping programs or web) onto National Geographic Adventure Paper and iGage Weatherproof Paper. Both have held up through at least a solid day of rain with constant use (bushwhacking), and retained intelligibility. The iGage is MUCH cheaper.

Spogatz
12-08-2008, 14:26
I just use clear box tape over TOPO maps I print myself. I have found a neat program that is on the net @ http://jdmcox.com/ to create my own TOPO's.
It is worth looking at ...

buff_jeff
12-09-2008, 19:00
I just use a ziplock bag if the map isn't waterproof. I did that for the guidebook pages this summer and it worked fine.