PDA

View Full Version : Mike Fallon AKA VAGABOND 2003 passed away.

Lion King
12-06-2008, 16:46
This is a shock but I thought some of you would want to know as I know some of his crew come here.

Mike Fallon, Vagabond 03, died on the way home to see his family with his wife and child.

He just stopped breathing is what his wife said. This happened on Thanksgiving and I just found out.

I really thought a lot of you would want to know if you knew Mike.

This is him with Jester at 45 seconds in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUN72BRugio

prayers to his wife and child.

Tinker
12-06-2008, 17:01
I think I might have met him once. The name is very familiar. It's always sad when someone passes away. It hits home when it's a fellow hiker. My prayers go out to his family.

Blissful
12-06-2008, 22:01
So sorry to hear this.

docllamacoy
12-07-2008, 19:54
Very sad to hear this. :( I don't think I knew him, but his name sounds familiar.

Creek Dancer
12-07-2008, 19:56
Sorry to hear this. Go rest high on that mountain Vagabond.

twoshoes06
12-07-2008, 23:33
This is so sad. I wish his family the best during the holiday season because it will be extremely hard. If there is anything or anyways that the hiking community can help or provide, please let us know.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
12-08-2008, 10:19
::: Dino curls a loving and healing tail around Mike's family - especially his parents, wife and child :::

Lion King
12-08-2008, 15:11
[email protected] ([email protected])

If you want to say anything directly if you knew them.

I dont have many other details as of yet, but what a shock man.

Lion King
12-14-2008, 18:01
Hi all,

As you know by now, Vagabond (Mike Fallon) passed away on November 22, 2008. He and his wife, Tiffany, and daughter, Maddingly (age 2), were traveling to South Carolina to visit his parents for Thanksgiving when he died in his sleep. He was 35. We assume it was heart trouble, but don't have any details.

You might remember Vagabond – he's the hiker that ate Hershey bars and instant mashed potatoes for 6 months. He carried Spank the sock monkey. If you have Carolina Cruiser's DVD, he's on the back cover. He started early-ish in the season, hiked with the Fair Weather Hiking Fellowship for much of the trail, and summitted Katahdin on Sept 20. He planned to hike the PCT in 2006, when Tiffany and Maddingly came along and changed his course (in a very good way).

So here's your chance to be the Trail Angel you always wanted to be… send a card to Tiffany at the addresses below. Include photos and/or stories about Vagabond. Plus, you can donate to Tiffany and Maddingly or send a donation to the ATC in Vagabond's memory. Details are below.

Attached is the information from his family about a service on January 10 in St Louis, MO. Let me know if you're interested in going – maybe we can set up ride-shares or hotel shares.

Tiffany's advice is, "don't pass up a chance to tell people how you feel." So, thank you! It's a small A.T. world, and I'm glad you're all part of it.

Sincerely,

Kyndra and Bryan / 56 and Katouri

Today through Jan 10, 2009:

1) Send cards to:
Tiffany Fallon and Maddingly
1125 St Bernadette Ln
Florrissant MO 63031

2) Contributions, in Michael's memory, may be sent to -- Maddingly Olivia Fallon Education Fund, C/O Mr. Andrew S. Johnson - Senior V/P, Plantation Federal Bank, P. O. Box 3848, Pawleys Island, SC 29585.

3) Donate to the ATC in Vagabond's memory:
Online: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/memorialsandtributes (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/memorialsandtributes)
By Phone: (304) 535-6331, ext. 120 and speak with Sarah
By Mail: Send a check to Appalachian Trail Conservancy, PO Box 807, Harpers Ferry West Virginia 25425.

4) Attend the Memorial Jan 10th (more info attached):
ACCOMODATION OPTIONS:
(MARRIOTT Property Assistance provided by Mrs. Jill LaPietra (Leverone) - Our niece – Marriott employee in Boston/Quincy as Senior Sales Manager
Property #1 – Renaissance St. Louis Hotel Airport (.3 miles from airport)
n 9801 Natural Bridge Road, St. Louis, MO 314-429-1100
n 10-12 miles to event site @ Hydromat, Inc.
n Free - Airport Shuttle to & from Hotel property – Cab about $5.00
n Premier Property -- Family Discounted rate of $69.00/night –Mention Fallon Room Block – good for 2 nights January 9 & 10th (Friday/Saturday)
n Discounted rate good till 12-24-08
n Total of 10 Rooms Block off
n On site Restaurants/Lobby Lounge & Bar
n $10.00 Self park charge per night

Property #2 – Courtyard by Marriott (St. Louis)-WESTPORT Plaza
– 11888 Westline Industrial Rd. St. Louis, MO. 800-321-2211
– Closest to Hydromat, Inc (1/2mile) (3 Minute Drive)
§ 'Page Exit' from directions below
– approx 12 miles from Saint Louis Airport (STL)
o No airport shuttle – Car rental/pool required
– Total of 10 rooms blocked off – Must reserve by 12-26-08
– Family discounted Rate of $54.00/Night – Mention FALLON ROOM BLOCK – good for 2 night's --January 9 & 10th (Friday/Saturday)
– Free parking
– No Restaurant facilities – fast food in area + GOOD restaurants in WESTPORT PLAZA (Italian + Steakhouse + Others)

Property #3 – LaQuinta Inn & Suites – St. Louis/Westport (NICE)
Ψ 11805 Lackland Rd. -- St. Louis, MO 63146
Ψ Phone=314-991-3262 --- Fax= 314-991-3374
Ψ Book on-line @ LQ.com / Use HYDRO as 'Company Code'
Ψ $65.00/Double -- $72.00 King
Ψ Across Highway from Property #2 & Near #4 (.3 miles from Celebration Site)
Ψ 'Page Exit' from directions below

Property #4 – Comfort Inn
v 12031 Lackland Drive – St Louis, MO 63146
v Phone 314-878-1400 x 636 Angie
v Mention Hydromat 'employee rate' $62.00 night
v Same area as Property #2, #3.
v 'Page Exit' from directions below

General Directions:
From St. Louis Airport --- Take I-70 WEST to --- I-270 South --- Exit PAGE AVE EAST (#16A) – You are now on PAGE Ave (Headed East) – Go approx 1 mile to intersection with light/Schuetz Rd. – At Light/intersection you want to go LEFT on SCHUETZ RD (Malones Restaurant/Bar to be on your right) at SECOND TRAFFIC Turn Right on ADIE Rd. – about 300 yds on R/H side is Hydromat Inc.(Follow Signs) – Go through gate – Celebration in the BACK BUILDING(South Building) –2nd Level. (Handicap access/Elevator/Coat Room/Rest Rooms)