partinj
12-06-2008, 21:11
Here is my winter Layer for Feb 4 2009 Let know what you think
Base Layer Hpdropur Polyester/Merino wool Long underwear pants and Shirt
Mid Weight Microfleece Pant and Shirt
Outerlayer Polyester Sweater or lightweight windproof Jacket
Smartwool socks three pairs with liners
Marmot Precip Jacket and Pants for when it rain
Primaloft jacket for camp or 200 weight fleece Think the Jacket would be better choice both will keep you warm even when wet. Filp up mitts and a pair of fleece gloves for camp
So what do you guys think.
:-?

Blissful
12-06-2008, 22:05
I'd definitely take the jacket for the start over the fleece for sure. Or even take down for that early a start to wear in camp. Your rain jacket will keep it dry in rain. What are you hiking in? I might leave the windshirt at home until later in the hike.

Hat? Balaclava?

Egads
12-07-2008, 06:35
I can't disagree with Blissful, except to say use the Precip as your wind layer.

I am transitioning from Smartwool to Wrightsock with sewn in liners. (thanks Phreak for the tip) They are carried by REI. http://www.wrightsock.com/

I also carry 2 pair of smart wool pants / tops; one for hiking and a larger size for sleeping. You do not want to constrict the blood flow in the legs while sleeping unless you like cold feet, which I solve with down booties. http://sierradesigns.com/mens.display.php?id=1053

I hate being cold. This coupled with sleeping cold and I usually end up with too much redundancy in my insulation. Winter is the one season that SUL / UL does not make sense.

I always pack a mix of wool, down, and synthetics for my insulation

What does everyone use to keep the cheeks and boys warm in the cutting wind? I've used a $30 Wallyworld ski bibb to hike in. I'd love to find a good insulating boxer short.

mudhead
12-07-2008, 07:38
I have seen boxer briefs with windproof panel where it counts. Bike boxers also.

Have not tried either. Nylon pants for me once it gets vile.

partinj
12-07-2008, 13:54
Hi i was out walking today with some of the base layer the microfleece shirt
and the longunwear and sweater and was nice and warm the temp was 31deg with a wing chill of 15deg. where can you fine wool pant now days i look all over inc. local thrift stores nothing. Thank

woodsy
12-07-2008, 13:56
Egads: What does everyone use to keep the cheeks and boys warm in the cutting wind? I've used a $30 Wallyworld ski bibb to hike in. I'd love to find a good insulating boxer short.I agree this can be a prob for winter hikers and bikers as well, there are some simple but effective homemade and store bought solutions.
Check out this discussion on a bikers forum (http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=76919)for some easy solutions,

hnryclay
12-07-2008, 16:11
I was out yesterday on a ridge line, walked to about 5 PM before setting up camp for the night. It was between 16-25 degrees winds 5-15 mph between 4100-4300' with a nice brisk snow shower, and I was plenty warm downstairs with polypros, and an Underarmor Boxer Jock under REI sahara convertibles. For a top when its cold I wear a synthetic tee shirt, and over that Icebreaker 260 crew neck merino wool top. For what its worth this was my first trip out with a Montbell Thermawrap jacket, without a doubt I will never use fleece again.