PDA

View Full Version : Davis Farm Campsite

shades of blue
04-07-2004, 15:08
I was wondering if anyone has any info on the Davis Farm Campsite in SouthWestern Virginia. It is between Brushy Mt and Garden Mt. Va. I need to know if hammocking at this site is possible, or if I would need to set the hammock up on the ground as a bivy sack.
Thanks!

Alligator
04-07-2004, 16:24
The site itself is set up as a tent pad site. It is reached by a trail that drops quite a bit off the trail. From what I remember, there were trees above the tent pad, although I wasn't looking for a hammock spot. The view into the valley at night is very tranquil, sort of a picture of rural America.

BEWARE THE COWS! THEY ARE A NUISANCE.

A-Train
04-07-2004, 16:53
shades of blue. I would recommend camping at the turn off to Davis Farm but not actually going down to the site. The reason being the site is half a mile down the hill and from what i've heard there is a small patch to put up 3-4 tents max contending with cows. I pitched my tent to the east of the trail right by the turn off sign. There was space for a couple of us to camp, cook, bear bag etc. There are plenty of trees around there to hammock and it is a nice spot. Problem is there is no water, so id make sure u camel up at Walker Gap if coming NOBO. If coming SOBO, either stop at Jenkins shelter or hit one of the streams on the way to Davis Farm which I remember there being. Enjoy

shades of blue
04-07-2004, 17:33
:) Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I think I will do the camel idea and camp near the turn off to the campsite.

Lone Wolf
04-08-2004, 00:35
Well there you go. A-Train HEARD it's a bad campsite. I stayed there 3 times. A wonderful campsite in my opinion. There is water a few hundred yards before it.

Bankrobber
04-08-2004, 10:16
Is that the campsite right near Burke's Garden? If so, stay there. Lovely area.

Bill Harris
04-08-2004, 10:44
L.Wolf is right.Davis Farm campsite is an outstanding place to camp.Never mind the tent spots are a little sloped and the herfords.The night we were there it rained and hailed.We walked further past the campsite and there was plenty of water to filter.Everytime I think of that campsite,carry me back to ole Virginnie comes to mind.

shades of blue
04-08-2004, 12:23
L.Wolf...
Since you camped there....would you be able to hang a hammock in that area. Is it more of a bald, or is it a wooded area. Thanks.

Lone Wolf
04-08-2004, 12:50
The campsite is on the edge of woods. A hammock is doable.

Bill Harris
04-08-2004, 12:50
Shadesofblue68..Hope you don't mind my input.My partner and I tented,but right above us(on a slight incline)were alot of trees, where you could possibly use your hammock.You might get licked in the face during the night by ole 245(tag number on one of the herfords ears).The herfords came close to our tents during the night,but the chomping of grass was all we heard.Matter of fact...I wish I could beam myself into Davis Farm Campsite right now.

shades of blue
04-08-2004, 15:27
Thanks bill, a-train and L.wolf. When I'm hiking through this area in later May, I will keep the site in mind. A lot will depend on how tired I am while hiking through the area, and how badly I need water. Appreciate the knowledge!

littledragon
05-15-2009, 16:31
I need to know if there is road access to or near Davis Farm Campsite. I ma meeting a friend from up north to hike this section in a couple of weeks. We need to leave one car in this area. Any suggestions?

Thanks from littledragon

McKeever
05-15-2009, 18:50
The blue blazed trail down to Davis Path Campsite is steep and has several blow downs. It leads to the edge of Burke's Garden and has a nice view shed, but the camping is not what you might expect. There is a tent site right in the middle of the trail on the way to down to the spring and I would not camp there. There are only a couple to sites a the spring and with this years rain the ground at the sites is flooded and very slushy for those who have not been there this year. There may have been better camp sites in the past but they are all overgrown now and the area is poorly maintained as with most of the VA Tech section. We camped there recently and enjoyed the stay but was disappointed with the lack of good campsites this year and swampy ground.

There is a FS road off of RT 42 but I would not leave a car there or anywhere in this section. The Burkes Garden Road is difficult and I would also not park there. When are you going?

Red Hat
05-16-2009, 10:18
Why not just leave the car at VA623, about a mile before the trail down to Davis Campsite?

Alligator
05-16-2009, 14:01
Why not just leave the car at VA623, about a mile before the trail down to Davis Campsite?That's funny, I just found this map (#2) laying around as I couldn't remember the route number and I logged in just to post this.

I drove past that parking area once, I'm not sure why it would be a problem. It's a long winding road from the south and accessible from within Burkes Garden to the North (a bit less windy but perhaps more of a drive if coming from the south.)

McKeever
05-16-2009, 16:41
Does anyone have the Appalachian Trail Guide for Southwest Virginia other than myself? There is an unambiguous warning regarding vandalism at 623. A well informed hiker should have a guide book for their section as well as the Companion.

Given it has been some time since the SW VA Guides publication, if you want to park there I would suggest calling the Bland and Tazewell County Sheriff's Departments to inquire about any recent vandalism but that may not prove to to provide accurate information. I would use caution at most remote roads in SW VA.

2rjs
05-17-2009, 18:45
This is one of my favorite campsites! Shame to hear about the vandalism.

McKeever
05-17-2009, 21:46
I doubt that road side vandalism has much of anything to do with the AT or the Davis Farm Campsite which is a good jaunt from any road.

RT 623 is a faily legnthy back woods road that eventually pops out into Burke's Garden where a route can be made back to Walker Gap. Walker Gap is just below Chestnut Ridge and is the best road access to the ridge. Unfortunately, the remote roads become a haven for the lower end of society capable of vandalism and worse.

Kerosene
05-17-2009, 22:26
I stayed at Jenkins Shelter several years ago with a young woman (Tortuga?) who had hammocked at Davis Farm. She ended up doing a very short day because she had gotten wet in her hammock (she didn't set it up correctly in the rain) and then slipped and hit her head on the climb up. She wasn't enjoying herself very much that day, but I do believe that she made it all the way to Katahdin.

reddenbacher
05-18-2009, 01:48
i hung there last year.great sundown.would be tough if it got crowded.the spring was no bigger than a fuel can but it put out a lot of water.

John B
05-18-2009, 07:39
Interesting sign to Davis Farm.