PDA

View Full Version : What to do with that "cancerous" Nalgene bottle

Mrs Baggins
12-07-2008, 09:52
Oh well. It's an idea anyway. Probably better suited to car camping. :-?

http://www.diylife.com/2008/04/30/turn-your-naglene-bottle-into-a-lantern/

Bearpaw
12-07-2008, 11:14
You could still drink out of it, since there has been quite a bit of evidence that the one study the panic was based on was not particularly applicable to human body chemistry, particularly if you're not putting boiling water into them.

Or you could just recycle them.

JAK
12-07-2008, 11:24
Good question what to do with them, since they are also a problem in landfills. They are recycleable, but if I take them to a recycle center what will they do with it? I think I will keep mine. I certainly won't buy any more, no matter how cheap or how much junk they throw in with it. This games been going on far too long. I might use it in the car as part of my winter emergency kit, stuff it with smaller items. No I don't have my winter car kit together yet. Dang. I had it together and then helped this guy move.

Mrs Baggins
12-07-2008, 11:26
You could still drink out of it, since there has been quite a bit of evidence that the one study the panic was based on was not particularly applicable to human body chemistry, particularly if you're not putting boiling water into them.

Or you could just recycle them.

We kept ours and we do drink out of them, just cold water. These studies usually end up being exposed as "this is hazardous if you drink 350 gallons of water a day from this bottle" kind of stuff.

yappy
12-07-2008, 11:48
lol.. really. I still drink out them. i don't have a nalgene anymore but I use my bottles over and over. The " new " water bottles cost about 20 bucks.. good grief !

Wise Old Owl
12-07-2008, 11:48
I think that's a good theory - put boiling water in them and throw the water away after it cools - rinse with cold water - and if you over 18 stop worrying about it.

mudhead
12-07-2008, 11:58
Luminaria.

I have an old one. I like it's scratches.

People that have them, could always post them in the trade/sell forum, if they don't want them.

Wise Old Owl
12-07-2008, 12:48
Start a collection, put up a shelf, and backlight the pretty colors?:-?

JAK
12-07-2008, 13:17
I agree that at my age who gives a darn, but I drink hot tea mostly when I go hiking, starting with water at a full rolling boil out of my Kelly Kettle, and so I figure I've already had my quota. Not that I mind my man breasts very much, or blame them entirely on the Nalgene bottle. But they did drag that issue out far too long, which seems to be the norm. We should have all switched to non-Bisphenol A years ago. We have to stop dragging our knuckles on issues like this.

Alligator
12-07-2008, 14:52
I put wire nuts in mine. Might be useful in the shop to hold small parts.

Panzer1
12-07-2008, 15:18
The study (see below) says that if you have a 3, 6 or 7 its unsafe. But my Nalgene bottles all have a "2" on the bottom. So what's the problem?

Panzer

http://www.thatsfit.com/2008/04/17/government-agrees-that-bpa-is-bad-news/

If your product is hard and clear (http://www.thatsfit.com/tag/Nalgene/), chances are it contains BPA. You can also flip it over and look at the bottom. If its stamped with a 3,6, or 7, it's not safe for use. The numbers 1 and 5, however, are concerned safe for single use.

StubbleJumper
12-07-2008, 15:19
I just use them and don't worry about it. I'd love it if that was my biggest risk related to hiking. Far more likely to get in a car accident on the way to the trailhead, or to get hypothermia than to get terminal cancer from drinking out of a Nalgene. The high-sodium meals and high transfat snacks that I eat while hiking are probably a bigger health risk than BPA.

My particulate favourite is when I hear a smoker talk about ditching their Nalgene...like hello!

Panzer1
12-07-2008, 15:28
The study also says that breast feeding is a safe alternative to using products with BPA. I'm all for that. :)

Panzer

JAK
12-07-2008, 15:37
The study (see below) says that if you have a 3, 6 or 7 its unsafe. But my Nalgene bottles all have a "2" on the bottom. So what's the problem?

Panzer

http://www.thatsfit.com/2008/04/17/government-agrees-that-bpa-is-bad-news/#2 is high density polyethylene. No Bisphenol A.
It is also safe to use with boiling hot water. It's good.

Panzer1
12-07-2008, 16:22
#2 is high density polyethylene. No Bisphenol A.
It is also safe to use with boiling hot water. It's good.

Well I thought this is what most backpackers were using. The clear bottles are heavier anyway.

Panzer

coldspring
12-07-2008, 16:29
Worrying about it is probably unhealthier than drinking the contaminated water.

Where does most of your drinking water come from in daily life? It's probably laced with stuff worse than whatever comes out of the plastic in the bottle.

STEVEM
12-07-2008, 16:55
Worrying about it is probably unhealthier than drinking the contaminated water.

Where does most of your drinking water come from in daily life? It's probably laced with stuff worse than whatever comes out of the plastic in the bottle.

My thoughts exactly. That said, I am glad that most hikers no longer use lead sporks, asbestos bandannas or radium headlamps.

Peaks
12-07-2008, 17:06
I've got the lighter HDPE Nalgenes, and plan to continue to use them.

saimyoji
12-07-2008, 17:26
The study also says that breast feeding is a safe alternative to using products with BPA. I'm all for that. :)

Panzer

where do i sign up for further research? :cool:

handlebar
12-07-2008, 19:53
I don't use them in above freezing weather anymore---used drink bottles such as Vitamin water comes in insteard. (BTW, why did Gatorade switch from the skinnier 1 liter bottles to the fat ones that don't fit in my pack pockets anyhow?).

I use my clear Nalgenes in winter. Boil water in the evening and fill up the bottles, Double check they are well sealed. Put one in each boot (after brushing all snow off the boots). Put the boots into 2.5 gal plastic freezer bags and stow in the bottom of your sleeping bag. Your boots will the nice and warm in the morning.:sun

Whether you drink the water is up to you. I think the amount of bisphenol that gets into it is miniscule far less that the carcinogens that seeped from superfund sites into my hometowns water source that I drank from for over about 25 years. Plus I'll be dead by the time enough accumulates in this old body to do any damage.:D

superman
12-07-2008, 21:48
I'm working on a theory that says that all the various cancerous crap I've been exposed to will cancel each other out. Until I perfect that theory the water bottle for my bikes says LDPE #4. Is that good or bad?

Cabin Fever
12-07-2008, 22:19
To the poster who said the new BPA-free Nalgenes cost $20: What yuppie store are you shopping at? $10 at Dick's. Saw them today.
Baggins is right about the effects of BPA on your system. It is probably something stupid like using it with boiling water three times a day more than 1000 times may lead to cancer. I'll take my chances. I am too cheap to throw all of mine away.
Interesting fact: The only corporately sponsored AT maintaining club is ours - Tennessee Eastman Hiking and Canoeing Club. What is the only company producing BPA-free plastic now adopted by Nalgene, Camelbak and Gerber (baby bottles)? Yep, Eastman. Pretty cool to be a part of this work. It's also good to be taking advantage of the fears of American people - kaching.
http://www.eastman.com/Brands/Tritan/Introduction/Introduction.htm

ki0eh
12-08-2008, 08:41
What is the only company producing BPA-free plastic now adopted by Nalgene, * * * Yep, Eastman.

Noticed that. Wondered if after all this many years there was still some sort of common Rochester connection (since I understand that's where the real Nalgene bottles still come from).

Here's a "new" Nalge use for wide mouth sample bottles: http://www.nalgenelabware.com/products/productDetail.asp?product_id=752&subcategory_id=146&category_id=146&brand_name=Labware&category_name=Environmental&subcategory_name= Of course this references "HDPE" but I wonder if there's a warehouse full of Lexan bottles someone could use for this.

Kind of like the warehouse full of 1.3 million lead painted Thomas train items: http://pressroom.consumerreports.org/pressroom/2008/12/consumer-reports-store-shelves-somewhat-safer-from-lead-products-than-last-year.html :D

Jim Adams
12-09-2008, 00:48
Worried about nalgenes??? Yeah, well....you want to worry....someday the sun will BURNOUT!!!!!!
Come on people...IT'S A NALGENE. Why are you worried?...are you living out of it? Jeez.

geek

sheepdog
12-09-2008, 08:05
Fill them full of seeds and put them in shelters. I think BPA causes cancer in laboratory animals. Maybe it works on shelter mice too.
I still use my nalgenes also.

Mags
12-09-2008, 16:25
I'm working on a theory that says that all the various cancerous crap I've been exposed to will cancel each other out

I have a similar theory. I am just eating rat food from now on.

Apparently, it is the only thing that does NOT cause cancer in rats...

Footslogger
12-09-2008, 16:57
[quote=Panzer1;735989]The study (see below) says that if you have a 3, 6 or 7 its unsafe. But my Nalgene bottles all have a "2" on the bottom. So what's the problem?

Panzer

=======================================

Exactly where is this magic number. I've got one here at work right now ...been drinking out of it for years. When I turn it upside down I see the "NALGENE" name and below that the volume in ml and oz. To the right of that is the "Recylcle" symbol. I do see something that looks like "N95" just next to the Recycle symbol ...but this one's pretty old and worn.

Thanks,

'Slogger

Alligator
12-09-2008, 17:02
The number referred to is located inside the recycling triangle.

Footslogger
12-09-2008, 17:42

==================================

Bummer ...it's all worn down and unreadable.

Here's some irony for you though. I have a Camelback sticker on the bottle that says "Hydrate or Die" :-)

I've had this particular Nalgene for at least 15 years. Haven't carried it (or any other Nalgene for that matter) hiking in over 10 years. Just keep it full of water on my desk for drinking during the day.

Should I go ahead and check myself into the cancer center across the street ??

'Slogger

mts4602
12-09-2008, 17:59

Darn, mine says #7 inside that traingle.

I actually think the previous poster might have the same one. He said his was stamped with a #2, but mine also says #2 except it's not in the triangle, its under the word nalgene.

mudhead
12-09-2008, 18:34
That inside the triangle numbering is fairly recent if I remember my recycling.

Wags
12-09-2008, 23:51
i have a 4 inside mine. does that mean i'm dying or what?

vonfrick
12-10-2008, 01:18
water causes cancer

http://research.yale.edu/ysm/article.jsp?articleID=276

Jim Adams
12-10-2008, 11:05
...saliva causes cancer but only when swallowed in small amounts over a long period of time...(Saturday Night Live News Report)

geek