PDA

View Full Version : Double bagger

Camping Dave
12-07-2008, 13:03
I'm hiking 4 days in the mountains of Western PA in about a month. Night time temps probably in the 0-10 degree range. I don't have a cold weather bag, so I was thinking about jamming one 30 degree bag into another. Has anybody ever done that, and did it work out ok?

rafe
12-07-2008, 13:09
I'm hiking 4 days in the mountains of Western PA in about a month. Night time temps probably in the 0-10 degree range. I don't have a cold weather bag, so I was thinking about jamming one 30 degree bag into another. Has anybody ever done that, and did it work out ok?

I've doubled up on down bags. Snug as a bug at -10 degrees F at Beaver Brook shelter in NH. I couldn't give you the "ratings" on either bag -- but I can tell you I had a total of 4 lb. of 600-ish grade down surrounding me.

Lyle
12-07-2008, 14:12
A lot will depend on the "cut" of the bags in question. The major problem to this technique is if both bags are close-fitting. They will compress each other, decreasing the expected warmth. If you run into this problem, I would add an extra insulating pad (would do that anyway) and use the larger of the two bags as a quilt, over the smaller bag. This will allow both of the bags to loft to close to their max.

saimyoji
12-07-2008, 14:25
Read this thread:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43377&highlight=bag+inside

Toolshed
12-07-2008, 14:27
A lot will depend on the "cut" of the bags in question. The major problem to this technique is if both bags are close-fitting. They will compress each other, decreasing the expected warmth. If you run into this problem, I would add an extra insulating pad (would do that anyway) and use the larger of the two bags as a quilt, over the smaller bag. This will allow both of the bags to loft to close to their max.
Double Ditto on Lyle's Comments.
The same goes if you decide to wear a heavy parka in your sleeping bag and you compress the loft from the inside because of the parka bulk - you could end up sleeping colder.
When doubling up on your pads - If one is a thermarest (or similiar), your safest is to make sure one is a closed cell foam non-inflatable pad - (You can get these for $5.99 at walmart).

Camping Dave
12-07-2008, 15:50
Thanks for the feedback. It really helped ease my worries.

I've got an $8.96 Walmart cheapo bag inside of a Marmot mummy, and two $5 CCF foam pads underneath. If that's not enough, I will post back in early January and let you know!

saimyoji
12-07-2008, 15:59
i'm interested to know what marmot bag you'll be using, and what the weight of your wallyworld bag is....

saimyoji
12-07-2008, 16:00
i'm interested to know what marmot bag you'll be using, and what the weight of your wallyworld bag is....

oh yeah, and how big is your pack? (assuming you'll stuff that wallyworld bag in your pack)

Dances with Mice
12-07-2008, 18:49
I've got an $8.96 Walmart cheapo bag inside of a Marmot mummy, and two $5 CCF foam pads underneath. If that's not enough, I will post back in early January and let you know!I'm not sure what kind of bag even W-M would sell for $9, but if I wanted to get the best use out of 2 bags I'd sleep in one and use the other as a quilt.

budforester
12-07-2008, 19:07
I've doubled a mummy inside a rectangular bag to get a few more degrees. long- johns and warm socks help, too. But I worry that it's a long jump for a 30- degree bag down to zero.

Deadeye
12-07-2008, 19:22
Clearly, 2 30-degree bags equals a 60-degree bag, and you'll freeze your a$$ off.

buz
12-08-2008, 09:38
As others mentioned, as long as the two bags fit loosely together when u are in them dressed with whatever clothes you will wear sleeping, that is the fit u want. Trapped air is keeping u warm, and I have used the two bagger many times for cold camping. Good choice on the extra ground pad too.

dradius
12-08-2008, 10:16
Doubling up your sleeping bag forumula

x - ((70 - y)/2) = z

x = first bag (higher rated/lower degree)
y = second bag (lower rated/higher degree)
z = rating of doubled bags

mudhead
12-08-2008, 12:58
I've got an $8.96 Walmart cheapo bag

Fleece bag? Like a thicker liner?

b.c.
12-08-2008, 13:39
Camping Dave, I am doing Salamanca, NY to Marienville, PA 12/27 to 1/8 (NCT).
Last February I did a similar hike in the same area. About 2 weeks before starting I chickened out of my 20 degree bag and bought a 0 degree bag. I too thought about putting two bags together but my Nimbus Ozone could not handle the bulk.

Are you bringing snowshoes?

Jim Adams
12-09-2008, 00:29
Dave,
What trail are you hiking? If you are going to the Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail then you can actually roast every night if you are using the shelters. Get a good fire going in the fireplace and then stuff it full with the already cut and split hardwood provided at each shelter area. I was out there 3 weeks ago...14* temps in the snow...0* down bag...I slept on top of the bag. I was around 65* in the shelter!

geek

Ramble~On
12-09-2008, 03:31
IMO double bagging is the way to go...and if you add in a liner (triple bagging) you can adjust the system up or down and sleep like a baby...zip or unzip to vent and adjust temp.
In winter I use a Ridgerest under a Thermarest.
I'm in the market for a high end zero degree bag but even with it I'll probably continue to carry a Thermolite liner and a JRB No Sniveler.
Higher elevation winter hiking and camping to me is what the saying "Better to have and not need...than to need and not have" is all about.

Gray Blazer
12-09-2008, 14:31
I'm not sure what kind of bag even W-M would sell for $9, but if I wanted to get the best use out of 2 bags I'd sleep in one and use the other as a quilt.

Would that be one of those fleece/flannel(?) bags?

Camping Dave
12-09-2008, 16:26
The Walmart bag is all synthetic. I threw the package away, but I think it just said the liner was polyester. No fancy trade name attached. My spring/summer/fall pack is a G4, but for this trip I will likely take my Gregory Reality. Probably stuff one bag down inside, and put the other in a compression sack between the main pack body and the smaller top pack.

As for the trail, probably the Tuscarora north of Hancock MD. I've done a bunch of the WVA part south of Hancock recently. Beautiful trail.