PDA

View Full Version : Sleeping Bag Length

dje97001
04-07-2004, 18:17
I'm trying to decide whether to get bags that are 6'6" or just 6'... I am 5'10"... my wife is 5'7"...

I am interested in finding out what you have and how tall you are (and if your bag is the right one--with no WM dealerships around here, I need to order it online)...

Happy
04-07-2004, 23:01
I'm trying to decide whether to get bags that are 6'6" or just 6'... I am 5'10"... my wife is 5'7"...

I am interested in finding out what you have and how tall you are (and if your bag is the right one--with no WM dealerships around here, I need to order it online)...

I am also 5' 10" and the WM Ultralite is perfect for me in the 6' size, any taller would be a "toss up".

Mr. Clean
04-08-2004, 06:50
I'm also 5' 10", but found I had to get the 6' 6" bag (20* LL Bean) for my shoulders to fit inside. Sorry to throw a wrench into your decision, but I'd really try to get to the store and actually lie down in one. You don't want one to small or to big.

Frosty
04-08-2004, 07:24

Be careful. Bag lengths are not standard.

I'm 6'5" (77 ") and need a long. But I've tried out (in the store, fortunately) bags that were supposedly 90 inches long and were too short, and an 86 inch bag that was just fine.

The issues with a bag too long (I assume, never had one too long) is extra weight and a bit colder (with more space to heat with body.

Of issue to me (being broad shouldered) is girth. Bags also have a measurement of circumference around shoulders, though the actual number is inside girth/2 which I'm told is not exactly the same as width. This is also hit-or-miss, but I've never gotten into a 31 or 32 inch (girth) bag that was comfortable. 35 is best, but again, we are dealing with weight issues, so the smallest bag I can fit me and my arms into is the one. The bags I have now (-25, 0, +20, +45) are all sized right. I can turn over in the bag.

Hope this helps,

Tom (who is wondering if having four sleeping bags is indicative of an addiction)

gravityman
04-08-2004, 10:50

I am also 5' 10" but have the long. Only because I got it as a gift. The regular length does not have any extra girth in the WM bags. So the 6' should work fine for you. But don't take my word. Call them and ask...

Gravity Man

dje97001
04-08-2004, 11:30
Thanks for your thoughts... I am tempted to buy a 6' for my wife (since she is too tall for the short (at 5'7") and then I can try it out before buying a 6' for myself. I am pretty much average size (girth wise) and so am not too concerned about the space, but that is the one complaint people have had about this particular bag--some seem to think that the 6 is too tight. Anyway, thanks again.

Moon Monster
04-08-2004, 12:08
My concern for people whose height is at the border between bags (unfortunately 5'10" to 6'01" is at this cusp for many manufacturers) is compresion of the fill at the feet and head.

My REI bag is cut for 6'0" (which I am). It's actual length is not listed and I've never taken a tape to it.

I have had nights where my feet get cold because they compress the fill in the footbox when I am all the way in the bag (ie, hood on and cinched). It has been enough that had I to do it again, I would buy the long version even though it is 6 inches longer, bulkier, more expensive, and heavier (again, it's an REI not a WM).

walkon
04-08-2004, 14:36
if money is no object WM will custom build your bag to your specifications.
walkon

Jeff T
04-10-2004, 20:05
If you are camping below 30F, you'll appreciate extra space to store boots and your water bottle at the foot box to prevent freezing.

dje97001
04-15-2004, 23:02
Okay, well it turns out that I will probably enjoy a 6'6" bag more than the 6'. I ordered a 6' one for my wife, and she fits in it quite nicely (no surprise at 5'7") For me it is a little tight in the shoulders, and the length is good, except that when I am laying down, my toes extend forward--making the length a bit tight. So, now I just have to set aside enough money for one... but I am VERY much impressed with the bag... it is amazingly light and it is really toasty. The only thing that I don't like about it is how much I have to compress it into the supplied stuff sack--it just seems wrong!! Luckily (and to my surprise) I got a western mountaineering storage sack as well! Anyway, thanks again for all of your input.

Footslogger
04-16-2004, 09:12
I'm 5'10" and fit well in a bag that is rated as being 6' long. I say "rated as being" because after years working for an outfitter I've seen some variation in lengths among bags rated as being the same.

That said ...I have sized and sold a lot of bags to a variety of people and it's been my experience that if you're at the "edge" of a regular length bag you'll be happier in the long version, especially if you actually want to use the hood to cover your head comfortable on cold nights. You may add a few ounces to the total weight of the sleeping bag but you'll be a happier camper.

Just my .02

'Slogger

Jaybird
04-16-2004, 10:43

I have the Sierra Designs Wild Bill 2.0.
I'm 6' tall & its a perfect fit.

... unless you have excessively broad shoulders you should be ok w/ a 6ft bag.

nero
04-17-2004, 02:47
I find that using a shorter bag keeps me warmer. Then again I don't have the problem of it being tight in the shoulders. I'm 6 feet tall and use a 20 degree syntethic fill bag by North Face (Cat's Meow I beleive). I'm not very sure of the length of the bag, but I can get a couple of nalgenes in the bottom and that's it. It served me very well in the Smokies during a nice 4 day hike in December 2002.

Just my 2 cents

-Nero