PDA

View Full Version : Montbell UL SS #2 cold "test"

buz
12-08-2008, 11:00
I own this bag and have used it about 20 times, maybe twice to its' rated comfortable number, which is 25 degrees. That was no problem, just base layer and light fleece hat, toasty warm.

This weekend AT shelter like camping, knew it was going to be cold, wanted to test colder weather performance. Temps at 7 am on Sat and Sun mornings were 8 and 11, with some significant wind, which the shelter mostly abated, but is wasn't calm by any means. I used a BA insulated air core and a Ridge rest pad on top of the BA, sleeping on wood platform. I added to my bag a down jacket like the Montbell UL or AL series, but in like 550 down, call them medium weight. By my feet I added a similar vest. Just draped them on top of me, zippers open, then zipped up bag. Sleeping base layer was dry wool socks, poly long johns, and (god forbid lol) fresh cotton T shirt, light fleece hat.

Happy to report I was toasty warm and am now confident that for any longer hikes that are hopefully in my future, I know this bag and extras if needed can push the ratings down a lot. FWIW. I also think this set up could go to 0, i was that warm.

Toolshed
12-08-2008, 21:56
Wow! Glad to hear that. I was cold at 30 one night in mine on 2 pads. I will be giving it another go this winter close to home.Your experience is consistent with what I have heard form others.

snaplok
12-09-2008, 02:46
I own this bag and have used it about 20 times, maybe twice to its' rated comfortable number, which is 25 degrees. That was no problem, just base layer and light fleece hat, toasty warm.

This weekend AT shelter like camping, knew it was going to be cold, wanted to test colder weather performance. Temps at 7 am on Sat and Sun mornings were 8 and 11, with some significant wind, which the shelter mostly abated, but is wasn't calm by any means. I used a BA insulated air core and a Ridge rest pad on top of the BA, sleeping on wood platform. I added to my bag a down jacket like the Montbell UL or AL series, but in like 550 down, call them medium weight. By my feet I added a similar vest. Just draped them on top of me, zippers open, then zipped up bag. Sleeping base layer was dry wool socks, poly long johns, and (god forbid lol) fresh cotton T shirt, light fleece hat.

Happy to report I was toasty warm and am now confident that for any longer hikes that are hopefully in my future, I know this bag and extras if needed can push the ratings down a lot. FWIW. I also think this set up could go to 0, i was that warm..
Great info, I just order one from Prolite last week.

Ramble~On
12-09-2008, 03:12
I'm in the hunt for a new winter bag and really like the Montbell SS- zero degree though.

buz
12-09-2008, 10:17
Toolshed, (and others)

I am 6' 170# ish, and from other forums, i sense that these MB bags are true rated/conservative, if you are not using the SS feature with your body mass, if you get my drift. I am slender guy, so i get max loft, but from what I can glean, bigger people may not get the same rating out of these bags as slimmer folks.

I also camped on a night coupla months ago, tarping, BA + ridgerest, 22 was low, little breezy. Same hat, boxers, and light poly pro t shirt, plenty warm. I had extra insulation, (the same vest used this weekend) but left it out of the bag on purpose, to check temp rating.

Sleep temp is so variable, I am just very satisfied with my purchase and now can move on to other gear items to look at, lol.