PDA

View Full Version : Crampons necessary for late Feb. NOBO start

ATX-Hiker
12-08-2008, 12:47
Are crampons necessary for starting NOBO late February, the 26th to be exact? I was looking at these.

http://www.kahtoola.com/microspikes.html

Or are they just going to be extra weight?

Lone Wolf
12-08-2008, 12:47
no. not needed

ATX-Hiker
12-08-2008, 12:49
Thanks LW. That'll save me almost a pound.

Blissful
12-08-2008, 14:54
I took Yak Trax but never used them.

garlic08
12-08-2008, 18:14
Those micro spikes look a little more durable than the yaktraks. Has anyone had yaktraks last more than a day of serious hiking?

Deadeye
12-08-2008, 20:41
Yaktraks won't survive on rocks or concrete - they're great on ice or packed snow. Stabilicers are ideal for winter hiking - durable, easy to use, and reasonably light, and they won't fall apart on the rocks.

Kirby
12-09-2008, 22:13
No.

SawnieRobertson
12-10-2008, 19:18
YakTrax, no. Stabilizers, absolutely yes. Or filed-down crampons. Just don't let ice take away your long-dreamed-of trek. Sixteen ounces of prevention, etc., etc.--Kinnickinic

Mags
12-10-2008, 19:37
I don't think you'll need traction devices on the AT (at least in the S. Appalachians!).

These threads may be helpful as well.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=33013&highlight=traction+devices
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=42624&highlight=traction+devices

MileMonster
12-12-2008, 13:07
Could be helpful in the Smokies, depending on the the weather in a given year. Often the higher sections of the Smokies are ice for miles at a time, and it can be fairly late in Spring before it melts. This was the case during my thru in '04 in late March. With that said, I've never used any type of crampon or similar in the Smokies and I've always managed. If you are worried about it you could check conditions before you get there and someone could mail them to you for the Smokies portion if needed, mail them back afterwards. I doubt they'd be helpful anywhere else on the Trail that your likely to be during thruhike season. Certainly not worth carrying every day. Just my opinion/experience.

- MM.

skeeterbait
12-20-2008, 09:06
I have the Microspikes and really like them for the in between conditions that crop up in the Catskills. But we're talking dayhiking, and I don't know if I would carry them for the start of a thru. Have you considered bounce-boxing them for a couple of stops? If you don't need them you can send them home, but if conditions warrant them they won't be too far away.
I've had both regular Yaktraks and the "Pros". The regular ones are only good on flat surfaces (sidewalks) otherwise they pull off the back of your boots. The "Pros' broke the very first time I used them. 'Nuff said.

tuswm
12-23-2008, 11:52
.25 lbs
$10.60
http://www.cmi-gear.com/catalog/essentials/icecleat.asp

I am not sure if that is the brand I have but I cant tell any difference form the picture.

This is what I used in winter in Yosemite, Colorado and the Grand canyon.
Works on snow and ice.
Take them on or off in 30 seconds.
They are durable and stay put on steep up and down hills.
The down side is that I dont know how comfortable they would be with light hikiers, I only used them with boots (but you are talking about a winter start) and you will want to take them off when hiking on rocks with no snow or ice.

Lone Wolf
12-23-2008, 12:01
no crampons, cleats, etc. are needed on the southern AT in late february

ChinMusic
12-23-2008, 12:05
Those micro spikes look a little more durable than the yaktraks. Has anyone had yaktraks last more than a day of serious hiking?
I have the Yaktrax Pro but have never had to use them for anything more that getting to the car stuff....no hiking. They are a pain to put on.....at least for me. They work great for short uses like taking out the garbage/getting the mail.

I've read that they don't hold up well on the trail. There are two Yaktrax models, the Yaktrax Pro and the Yaktrax Walker. So I don't know what others are referring to.

I've carried them on winter trips but have never had to use them. I've been to a LOT of places where, if icy, would be nasty without some traction aides, but the weather has always cooperated. I still like the idea of carrying SOME sort of traction aid should things ice up.

Wise Old Owl
12-23-2008, 12:12

yep great for mud, ice, snow - as someone esle posted above - not rocks.

trailfoot
01-03-2009, 18:52
No crampons--trekking poles YES!!!

NorthCountryWoods
01-05-2009, 18:09
If you're really concerned about it and you carry a multi-tool with screw driver, get 8 half inch sheet metal screws (4 for each boot) and go to town.

I just made a set of ice running shoes for my wife.....but it took a lot more than 8 screws and no way would I'd be doing it with a multi-tool.

Linky-

http://www.skyrunner.com/screwshoe.htm

grumpypickle
01-05-2009, 23:44
I only saw one person with them last year and she wore them one day in the Smokies.

waywardfool
01-11-2009, 23:36
Never a thru hike (yet), but in many trips over the years, in all seasons, I have only needed traction aids one time. In winter, I always carry instep crampons (homemade from a piece of stainless steel, with the corners folded down for spikes, just like those they sell). The ONE time I needed them (somewhere back about '88 or '89, early March iirc), we had a couple inches of snow already on the ground, followed by about 1/4" of freezing rain...the hard sheet of ice on the surface of the snow was almost impossible to walk on, you could hardly break thru the crust when stomping down. The instep crampons made progress possible. For the slim chance you'd need them...certainly not worth a pound to me...certainly not full-on crampons.