PDA

View Full Version : Low Elevation Winter Hike VA,NC or GA?

joshua5878
12-08-2008, 12:48
Leaving FL Mid January to pick up my brother to bring him back down to GA to begin a 2009 NOBO Thru. Wanted to stop along the way to do a shakedown hike, figured we should stay in lower elevations so that we don't freeze. Any suggestions? I would be picking him up in Wilkes Barre PA and heading south. We can stop anywhere for a week to 10 day shakedown.. Many Thanks, Josh

max patch
12-08-2008, 13:09
Why not just start his thru from Amicalola instead of a separate "shake down" hike? You can hike with him the first week or so. In 40 miles you'll reach Mountain Crossings where he can change out any gear he doesn't like or has forgotten.

joshua5878
12-08-2008, 13:48
Why not just start his thru from Amicalola instead of a separate "shake down" hike? You can hike with him the first week or so. In 40 miles you'll reach Mountain Crossings where he can change out any gear he doesn't like or has forgotten.

to mention we are both hiking together to Maine. My plan is to leave my car @ a friends in North Carolina and he will shuttle us to the approach trail in early March..

BR360
12-08-2008, 13:54
Pisgah National Forest near Brevard, NC has many trails that would allow you to stay in lower elevations, and/or go high (above 6000 ft.) into Shining Rock Wilderness. It is a spectacular area, better than many parts of the AT.

Another area is Linville Gorge Wilderness, and Wilson Creek (proposed) wilderness.

For an interesting alternative 10-day start to the AT, you might think about hiking the Foothills Trail (which goes through some gorgeous waterfalls areas on the South Carolina/NC border) down to the Chattooga River (GA), then pick up the Bartram Trail which would put you near the AT at Standing Indian, NC, or directly connect with it at Wayah Bald, NC. Depends if he wants to be dogmatic about hiking from Springer.

Google these place names.

max patch
12-08-2008, 13:57
Anywhere on the AT is going to be cold in mid January.

I'm sure you'll get some good suggestions, but if it was me I'd think really hard about hiking the Florida Trail if I was going to be out for a week plus in mid January.

Blissful
12-08-2008, 14:59
Agree, if you're used to FL - it will be cooold.
This year seems a lot colder than normal so far, for VA anyway. The nearby ski areas are open already.

FritztheCat
12-08-2008, 15:15
This year seems a lot colder than normal so far, for VA anyway. The nearby ski areas are open already.

Much colder this year in SE Virginia as well. Read an article the other day that said we are having temperatures that are 12 degrees below normal for this time of year. 12 degrees doesn't sound like a whole lot until you figure we are used to 40 degree weather and we're having lows in the 28 degree range. Burrrrrr!!!

Florida sounds great! :sun

e-doc
12-08-2008, 21:37
In early March I suggest the Uwharrie NF in central NC, the Sauratown trail north of Winston Salem, and the South Mts state park. All are in central NC and less likely to have bad weather. Agree with Bartram down in SC as well as Foothills trail. Historically, some of the biggest snows in the SE have occurred in March

Egads
12-08-2008, 21:42
I recommend the Benton MacKaye GA sections. You can even hike it SOBO to Springer then start the A.T.

hnryclay
12-08-2008, 23:09
I was on top of Salt Pond Mountain this weekend on the A.T. and it was between 5-10 Saturday night, with about 3 inches of snow fall that night.

Mocs123
12-08-2008, 23:12
I have a group going from Carvers Gap, NC to Damascus, VA on the AT the week after Christmas. If you are interested I will get you the information. Anywhere on the AT could and probably will be cold that time of year.