PDA

View Full Version : The Periodic Table of Condiments

Manwich
12-08-2008, 13:26
http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/8175/tableofcondimentswhenthom2.gif

Interesting little chart showing condiment lifespan. Not sure how accurate it is (i was under the impression honey is good for years, not months.)

sarbar
12-08-2008, 14:27
Lol..yeah, honey will last until the next ice age :D

Farr Away
12-08-2008, 15:11
Lol..yeah, honey will last until the next ice age :D

Even if you have to decrystalize it periodically. Still fine.

Lellers
12-08-2008, 15:45
I love this! I'm going to pass it on to my mother who thinks that all condiments last forever. I am not kidding when I say that she has stuff in her fridge from when I was in high school (Class of 1980). In fact, she has stuff in her cabinets that are so old they don't even have bar codes. Some of her fridge condiments have moved with her, and have been transferred to new refrigerators as she bought them.

We all eat naked hot dogs when we go to my mom's house.

berninbush
12-08-2008, 16:02
Lellers, I suggest a night raid with a trash bag. If she hasn't used them up in 29 years, I bet she wouldn't notice they're gone!

Manwich
12-08-2008, 16:04
Lellers, I suggest a night raid with a trash bag. If she hasn't used them up in 29 years, I bet she wouldn't notice they're gone!

You should try an Intervention.

Dicentra
12-08-2008, 16:07
I love this! I'm going to pass it on to my mother who thinks that all condiments last forever. I am not kidding when I say that she has stuff in her fridge from when I was in high school (Class of 1980). In fact, she has stuff in her cabinets that are so old they don't even have bar codes. Some of her fridge condiments have moved with her, and have been transferred to new refrigerators as she bought them.

We all eat naked hot dogs when we go to my mom's house.

Yikes. Scary. Sounds like my MIL though!

She recently gave us some medicine for the dog's eye that was at LEAST 5 years old. It promptly went in the trash. :eek:

ki0eh
12-08-2008, 16:57
Does hard liquor expire? I found some that moved with me from NY State to Iowa 12.5 years ago.

Two Speed
12-08-2008, 17:29
Does hard liquor expire? I found some that moved with me from NY State to Iowa 12.5 years ago.Yes, it does. If you want to avoid the expense you can send it to me and I'll dispose of it for you.

m_gude
12-08-2008, 18:15
I'd give some of those condiments the sniff and shake test.
1) If you sniff it and it still smells like its original use, continue to part two.
2) If it comes out in approximately the same manner as its original use, proceed cautiously in consuming

this reasoning gets me through college on a weekly basis, but normally also with real foodstuff. The condiments are what help mask the possible blemishes of the food...

Farr Away
12-09-2008, 15:06

Except that after they're gone, she'd suddenly have room in her refrigerator again!

berninbush
12-10-2008, 10:56
Except that after they're gone, she'd suddenly have room in her refrigerator again!

Maybe she'll just think she got a bigger refrigerator. :D

You could buy fresh condiments to replace what's in there... pick stuff from the Periodic Table above that'll keep for a while.

mudhead
12-10-2008, 11:00
Or grab 2-3 on a visit while she is in the can.

The things we do...

snaplok
12-15-2008, 17:11
Wow that'sgood to know, I think I have some that might start crawling out of the fridge on their own.
Does anyone know how long those packets last? I have a bunch of mayo, honey, ketchup, etc and I just use as needed. Should I be worrying about this?

Lellers
12-15-2008, 18:12
You should try an Intervention.

I forgot that I had posted in this thread.

You know, mom called me today, very anxious. She wanted to say that my cousins in New Hampshire were "all ok". She was concerned that the recent horrible weather would do them in. And it's ugly up there, to be sure, but my cousin has a snug house, a big generator, a stockpile of fuel and wood, plenty of food, and apparently cell phone service to call my mother. They're doing fine. My mom is upset, however, that my "poor cousins" were having to think about what they turned on and off, and will they be able to get showers. She even lamented, "They actually have to use snowshoes!" (When I talked to them, they seemed pretty darn happy about snowshoeing, actually.)

I told her she should be more afraid of using her own condiments on a bright sunny day. Those things are more dangerous than any challenges my cousins are facing at the moment. She says, "There's nothing wrong with that stuff! It lasts."

She'll always be a child of the Great Depression.

vonfrick
12-15-2008, 19:35
Does hard liquor expire? I found some that moved with me from NY State to Iowa 12.5 years ago.

i really wouldn't trust that twospeed. send it to me.

and has ANYONE, EVER seen a jar of nutella last 4 months??? puh-lease. 10 minutes is more like it.

atsent
12-15-2008, 20:06
sniff and shake test. haha that's great. it get me through college also

Just Jack
12-15-2008, 20:52
Where do you buy that chart? Is it actually valid or is this some kind of joke?

charlie2008
12-16-2008, 01:06
-
Got to scope these threads out more.
Anyone that has hard liquor needing a home....pm me and I'll pay for the postage........bourbon preferred, but I'll drink anything.:banana

Tha Wookie
12-16-2008, 09:06
Lol!

http://img388.imageshack.us/img388/8175/tableofcondimentswhenthom2.gif

Interesting Little Chart Showing Condiment Lifespan. Not Sure How Accurate It Is (i Was Under The Impression Honey Is Good For Years, Not Months.)

sarbar
12-16-2008, 12:39
Does anyone know how long those packets last? I have a bunch of mayo, honey, ketchup, etc and I just use as needed. Should I be worrying about this?

Most packets are fine for a year or so - though mayo you should cycle through every couple months to be safe. Honey packets you can tell - they go crystallized.

Two Speed
12-16-2008, 12:43
i really wouldn't trust that twospeed. send it to me.Uh, I got dibs, so get in the back of the line, and yes, I can be trusted to dispose of liquor. I can provide personal references if required.

Skyline
12-16-2008, 13:06
Does this chart supposedly have to do with bottled/canned condiments--or those in a tear-off pack like you would get at McD's?

I have mustard, ketchup, mayo, and a bunch of stuff less common (like soy sauce) in my fridge that's been there many years. They taste OK, smell OK, and haven't made me sick.

OTOH, I learned the hard way not to trust packets of mayo from Wal-Mart's deli beyond about three months--especially in hot weather.