PDA

View Full Version : Dog Friendly Hostels?

whtmthiker
12-08-2008, 14:37
I'm just trying to search for dog-friendly hostels along the AT. I know this changes every year- do you think this would be a good subject on a separate forum?

catfishrivers
12-08-2008, 14:57
I'd like to know this info as well. I am trying desperately to get my buddy Dingo out on at least a section of the thru hike with me. It's too bad he isn't real tiny cause I'd just stuff him in my pack and blame all the barking on the plate of beans I ate for lunch...

CrumbSnatcher
12-08-2008, 15:06
BEAR(dog) and i prefered to look for cheap dog friendly motels. but you'll find some good hostels along the way. have a good hike!

Frick Frack
12-08-2008, 17:18
We missed our dog Wiley on our SOBO 2008 hike and wished we could have taken him (he is 17, blind & deaf and weighs less than 14 lbs). I just wanted to let CrumbSnatcher know he is back at home after a 5 month stay with "Auntie Debra" and is well and fine. We called as much as possible and she sent pics a few times. It was a hard thing to do but it all worked out just fine. Thanks for your concern towards my post earlier this year.

superman
12-08-2008, 18:18
Winter and I didn't look for hostels. The companion lists plenty of dog friendly motels that I preferred anyways. Winter liked watching animal planet in the air conditioned room while I did chores. Winter and I still buy one of those cheap charlie pre-cooked chickens at the grocery store for our personal feast. Other people wouldn't like watching that.:D

CrumbSnatcher
12-08-2008, 20:45
Winter and I didn't look for hostels. The companion lists plenty of dog friendly motels that I preferred anyways. Winter liked watching animal planet in the air conditioned room while I did chores. Winter and I still buy one of those cheap charlie pre-cooked chickens at the grocery store for our personal feast. Other people wouldn't like watching that.:D
im with you on that one superman, we'd take a motel over a hostel anyday.

CrumbSnatcher
12-08-2008, 20:46
We missed our dog Wiley on our SOBO 2008 hike and wished we could have taken him (he is 17, blind & deaf and weighs less than 14 lbs). I just wanted to let CrumbSnatcher know he is back at home after a 5 month stay with "Auntie Debra" and is well and fine. We called as much as possible and she sent pics a few times. It was a hard thing to do but it all worked out just fine. Thanks for your concern towards my post earlier this year.anything i did or said to help you out was my pleasure. i hope you enjoyed your journey and congrats...:D

whtmthiker
12-09-2008, 09:29
I really like staying in hostiles for the experience and the $$. I know there's some that allow dogs but they can change. I was hoping there's enough interest to maybe start a different forum or maybe add pet-friendly places on the Hostiles Board? I do section hiking every year and drive to VA from NH- it's fun to stop on the way to hostiles along the AT. I also would like to get away to maybe VT or ME for a weekend get-away so would be interested in finding more local pet-friendly hostiles. Thanks

CrumbSnatcher
12-09-2008, 10:27
i like hostels,don't get me wrong. i was just used to not expecting to stay at hostels with my bear(dog)if they allowed it? great then it was another option.

Gaiter
12-10-2008, 03:19
also most hostel's that allow dogs, require that they be good, well behaved dogs, and they do need to get along w/ other dogs (sometimes cats too)

Rockhound
12-10-2008, 18:27
Standing Bear Farm is dog friendly and the perfect spot to have your pooch to rejoin you after the smokies. If you're using one of the kennels ask them about it.

superman
12-10-2008, 20:43
I'm not sure about hostels but Winter taught me fidelity, perseverance, and to turn around three times before lying down. :)

Ron Haven
12-10-2008, 23:15
BEAR(dog) and i prefered to look for cheap dog friendly motels. but you'll find some good hostels along the way. have a good hike!If you are coming to Franklin,NC we are pet friendly at Budget Inn and our shuttles welcome pets.

CrumbSnatcher
12-10-2008, 23:21
If you are coming to Franklin,NC we are pet friendly at Budget Inn and our shuttles welcome pets. ron,i was planning to stay at your place on my hike next year,starting late may.but for the first time i will be hiking solo without my best friend, i lost her in april 14 1/2 years old. so this will be all new to me hiking without her after so many miles together. i can't believe shes been gone 8 months already:(