PDA

View Full Version : “All Junk Food” Performance Hiking Diet

Sly
12-08-2008, 16:09
Eric the Black's
“All Junk Food” Performance Hiking Diet (http://www.eriktheblack.com/blog/junkfood-hiking-diet/)

More junk= more miles...

Bulldawg
12-08-2008, 16:21
Interesting read!

hikergirl1120
12-08-2008, 16:30
Cant you say clogged arteries?! LOL

max patch
12-08-2008, 16:39
Calling Mr Smith....

Calling Mr Smith....

fiddlehead
12-08-2008, 16:42
Don't know if i'd call it junk food.
looks like a regular thru-hiker diet to me.

He didn't mention Little Debbies. Maybe they are not so easy to find out in CA.
Or Pop Tarts, Bear Claws, and No Bake cheese cakes.

Good read though.

JAK
12-08-2008, 16:55
That was a good read.
Funny I eat that way but I'm not in the same shape. Maybe it has to do with the miles. ;)

"Elevenses" - Is that from Winnie the Pooh?

MOWGLI
12-08-2008, 17:03
I did 11 days oin the JMT with way too much junk this past summer. It served me very poorly. My daughter fared even worse, and she ate better than me.

My food selection & prep is the biggest area where I need to improve my backpacking skilz.

brooklynkayak
12-08-2008, 17:10
Cant you say clogged arteries?! LOL
I don't think anyone who hikes that many miles in a day has to worry about clogged arteries:)

KG4FAM
12-08-2008, 17:12
"Elevenses" - Is that from Winnie the Pooh?Don't know about Winnie the Pooh, but they had something like Tenses or Elevenses on The Lord of The Rings

Lellers
12-08-2008, 18:55
I enjoyed reading that. If I did 25-30 miles a day, maybe I could develop a Godiva chocolate trail diet.

The Solemates
12-08-2008, 19:19
didnt look like junk to me. not for a hiker anyways. i ate worse than that. and i too came from a bodybuilding background.

take-a-knee
12-08-2008, 19:24
I don't think anyone who hikes that many miles in a day has to worry about clogged arteries:)

Thats what this guy thought:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?sec=health&res=9E07E4DB1E39F937A15754C0A962948260

20-30 yrs ago marathon runners said it didn't matter what you ate, just run. Jack Lallane had been saying diet was all important for decades before that, he was mocked and belittled. Jack's 93 now and still a hard-body.

Marta
12-08-2008, 19:27
Yeah, boy!

In his seminar on long-distance speed hiking, David Horton noted that there's a difference between eating for health and eating for performance. For performance, sugar rules!

gsingjane
12-08-2008, 20:23
In his latest book, 50/50 (I think), where Dean Kanarzes talks about his 50 marathons in 50 days feat, he pretty much says the same thing. He doesn't really go into the physiology of it the way Erik does (about relative digestion times, breakdown rates, etc.) but he does say that, when he's doing an ultra, he only eats junk food, he just doesn't have time and/or room for "healthy" calories. I wonder if this works out the same if you aren't doing 25-30 mpd, though.

Jane in CT

yappy
12-08-2008, 20:24
I used to eat pretty much all candy bars for dessert etc . I now eat more luna, cliffs etc. The candy just was'nt doing it for me. I am into, when I am out awhile and esp. in cold weather, organic fig newmans and peanut butter with mms on top. That is SO good what I am cold and hungry. Maybe it is just getting older but eating only junk does'nt work that well for me.

I wish I had a better diet out there... but I don't.

brooklynkayak
12-08-2008, 21:32
Thats what this guy thought:

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?sec=health&res=9E07E4DB1E39F937A15754C0A962948260

20-30 yrs ago marathon runners said it didn't matter what you ate, just run. Jack Lallane had been saying diet was all important for decades before that, he was mocked and belittled. Jack's 93 now and still a hard-body.

Good to know. I don't like most junk food anyway. Hate soda and don't eat much sweet stuff in general. I do know a particular healthy guy, Greg Stamer (http://www.gregstamer.com/), who does insane long paddle expeditions and his secret is to cook with a lot of olive oil. He believes that he personally needs a lot of fat when he is doing hard days and that sugar reduces his mileage. He and others believe that good fat and of course lots of complex carbs and protein extends your energy level longer

He only lost 5 lbs after circumnavigating Newfoundland.

I'd guess that heart health fat would increase how long you can go in a day.

I know that if I have a strenuous da,y sugar doesn't help me, but I think it depends on the person.

stumpknocker
12-08-2008, 21:47
I feel better now because I always thought I ate so bad, but turns out I eat good stuff. :)

Think I won't feel so bad about packing out fried chicken and fried pies and donuts and Starburst jelly beans for my "trail food" anymore. :eek:

Funny thing is that I always get stronger as the day goes on.

warren doyle
12-08-2008, 23:34
In July 2006, I hiked the JMT packing five boxes of Little Debbie brownies. Outside of a meal at Reds Meadow, four boxes of Little Debbies got me to Whitney Portal. I wonder if John Muir would have substituted LD's for his bread if they were available in his day?

Compass
12-08-2008, 23:35
He has the right idea that while exercising simpler foods are digested more readily. Dinner has all night to digest and is when you balance the "junk" of the day with actual nutrition(vitamins, mineral, fiber...). Of course there are town days also.

The first 10-14 days he felt like "crap" because he was getting into trail shape and not eating enough(1 lb/day). After two weeks your body is in full swing and ready to consume anything that you can get down your throat.

As usual it seems the truth is somewhere in the middle.

garlic08
12-09-2008, 01:02
A hiking partner on the PCT finished feeling poorly, went home, and had a heart attack (age 40, very fit). He survived. All along the trail, he swore by the liters of olive oil he guzzled, along with the Little Debbies. Coronary artery blockage nearly killed him.

50 marathons in 50 days? That's one half of the typical PCT hike. Keep going!

stumpknocker
12-09-2008, 10:25
Okay...I'll clarify a little; I think I actually eat fairly well on the Trail. I can't stand the thought of Lipton's, but they work for a lot of people.

I walk best and end the day with more energy than when I started the day when I pack my pockets full of small snacks and I eat one every hour. I only stop long enough to talk to other hikers or take a picture or sign a shelter register. (Got to use up those smiley face stickers) :)

I don't stop to eat....I just reach in my pocket and snack on something while I'm walking. I never stop and never eat lunch when I'm walking like that. I still only have a small snack while I'm walking at noon.

I didn't walk that way but a few times this year. I walked slower on purpose, but still like my "normal" way of walking and eating that small snack every hour better.

I might graze on stuff like; a small box of raisins, then some hard candy, then some nuts, then some cheese crackers, then some jelly beans, then a Milky Way, then some cheese crackers, then some jerky, then some hard candy, then some Fritos, then a Poptart, then a Little Debbie oatmeal cookie, then some jelly beans and so on. Never a lot at one time, but always a little on the top of every hour.

I actually walk stronger as the day progresses and feel GREAT at the end of the day.

I might eat a small cold dinner at night of some sardines, or a Spam slice on bread along with some Fritos and nuts and I might start the day off with something that tastes good like donuts or sometimes a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

I always eat whatever my body craves when I get to town....usually a good steak with a baked potato and a salad, or sometimes fried chicken. :) I think that's very important....listening to what your body craves and go for it.

That works for me because I LIKE walking much more than I like camping. I have only built one fire in all the time I've slept in the woods and that was a pain. I only camp because I have to...I walk because I LOVE to. :)

yappy
12-09-2008, 10:35
you did'nt say spam did ya ? say it ain't so.. ! I eat while I walk too. I like it. My pockets are full of crackers, life savers, bars as well. I don't sit and eat alot either anymore. it makes me sleepy...but, I still like to hang by the creek now and then and wolf down cheese and bagels.... I gotta take my sneaks off once in awhile..:)

Please, lets keep spam outta it .. haha.. ugh !

yappy
12-09-2008, 10:38
crack cakes.. oops, I mean little debbies.. Why are those freaking things sooooo good out there. The triple decker oatmeal..oh baby.

sarbar
12-09-2008, 12:30
He has the right idea that while exercising simpler foods are digested more readily. Dinner has all night to digest and is when you balance the "junk" of the day with actual nutrition(vitamins, mineral, fiber...). Of course there are town days also.

The first 10-14 days he felt like "crap" because he was getting into trail shape and not eating enough(1 lb/day). After two weeks your body is in full swing and ready to consume anything that you can get down your throat.

As usual it seems the truth is somewhere in the middle.

The issue lies in that Erik was IN good shape when he started and the PCT just doesn't have all the "town stops" that the AT has......You also start in a desert unlike the AT as well.

mudhead
12-09-2008, 12:52
a Little Debbie oatmeal cookie, peanut butter

Combine those two. You might enjoy enough to pause once in a while.

But not on a windy day on Baldpate.

take-a-knee
12-09-2008, 13:37
Good to know. I don't like most junk food anyway. Hate soda and don't eat much sweet stuff in general. I do know a particular healthy guy, Greg Stamer (http://www.gregstamer.com/), who does insane long paddle expeditions and his secret is to cook with a lot of olive oil. He believes that he personally needs a lot of fat when he is doing hard days and that sugar reduces his mileage. He and others believe that good fat and of course lots of complex carbs and protein extends your energy level longer

He only lost 5 lbs after circumnavigating Newfoundland.

I'd guess that heart health fat would increase how long you can go in a day.

I know that if I have a strenuous da,y sugar doesn't help me, but I think it depends on the person.

This post is about the only one in this thread that isn't FULL of misleading, poorly reasoned advice on nutrition and exercise. Mr. Stamer's advice is correct.

stumpknocker
12-09-2008, 14:00
This post is about the only one in this thread that isn't FULL of misleading, poorly reasoned advice on nutrition and exercise. Mr. Stamer's advice is correct.

I'm guessing that is YOUR opinion. :rolleyes:

the goat
12-09-2008, 14:32
his diet looks very similar to mine. except substitute mcdonalds/burger king for subway. (subway is nasty, even with a hiker appetite!)

ofthearth
12-09-2008, 14:38
I don't stop to eat....I just reach in my pocket and snack on something while I'm walking. I never stop and never eat lunch when I'm walking like that. I still only have a small snack while I'm walking at noon.

So where does the coffee and French press come in??:-?;)

saimyoji
12-09-2008, 14:39
his diet looks very similar to mine. except substitute mcdonalds/burger king for subway. (subway is nasty, even with a hiker appetite!)

tell that to Jared. :-?

papa john
12-09-2008, 15:01
tell that to Jared. :-?

LOL, what Jared doesn't tell you is that before he started eating Subway sandwiches, he laid in bed all day and consumed 10,000+ calories a day with the only exercise being opening a new bottle of pop or a new bag of chips. When he started on Subway, he started to move around a bit and was eating substantially less. He could have eaten anywhere and had the same results. Had little to do with Subway.

Mags
12-09-2008, 16:10
I did the CDT on the 25-30 MPD pace. Finished 4 mos on the nose.

I ate like crap with a diet similar to this one. (http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Backpacking-and-Hiking-documents/ct_calories_mpd.html)

I don't have any links to expensive exercise programs. I just walk.

Draw your own conclusions...

mudhead
12-09-2008, 18:47
What does a summer sausage and oatmeal creme pie burp taste like?

yappy
12-09-2008, 19:06
lol...that is sick ! mix that in with some dried prunes...

Mags
12-09-2008, 19:22
What does a summer sausage and oatmeal creme pie burp taste like?

Like a gift that keeps on giving... ;)

take-a-knee
12-09-2008, 19:53
I did the CDT on the 25-30 MPD pace. Finished 4 mos on the nose.

I ate like crap with a diet similar to this one. (http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/Backpacking-and-Hiking-documents/ct_calories_mpd.html)

I don't have any links to expensive exercise programs. I just walk.

Draw your own conclusions...

How 'bout a link to a free exercise program:

www.crossfit.com

mudhead
12-09-2008, 20:00
lol...that is sick ! mix that in with some dried prunes...

Thank you very much. You ought to try salmon & pnut butter. Yeehargh.

Mags
12-09-2008, 20:29
How 'bout a link to a free exercise program:

www.crossfit.com (http://www.crossfit.com)

With the amount of times you post to it, I am beginning to think it is like Amway. :D

I'll pass. The "Hike to get in shape to hike" plan has worked very well for me...and most other experienced thru-hikers. ;)

Compass
12-10-2008, 01:41
Sarber, I stand behind my initial conclusion when I said the first few weeks Eric was getting in "Trail shape" which is different from being "in shape". The dessert section adds the effect of probably being dehydrated which is really a perfomance crusher as well.

Stumpknocker's snacking strategy works great(the top of page2). Just not the Spam or cold dinners for me.

take-a-knee
12-10-2008, 09:47
With the amount of times you post to it, I am beginning to think it is like Amway. :D

I'll pass. The "Hike to get in shape to hike" plan has worked very well for me...and most other experienced thru-hikers. ;)

I saw the link presented by several other posters on other sites before I "bit". When I did I found it was incredibly effective, not to mention humbling (I just thought I was in passable shape). It is also the most time efficient fitness program in existence. It isn't for everyone, 'cause it is too damn hard for most folks, though everything about it can be scaled or modified. The daily workouts (workout of the day or WOD) as posted on the site can and have caused exertional rhabdomyolosis and put people in ICU with kidney failure from massive muscle damage. Go to the menu on the left side of the home page and look for "start here", cursor on it and a side box will appear that says, "Brand X scaled workouts". That will take you to a message board, a poster/administrator called "Guard Dog" will post scaled versions of the WOD for several different levels of fitness, start at the lowest (Puppies) or the next highest.

The "Hike to get is shape to hike" plan only works for people with lots and lots of free time because that TAKES LOTS OF TIME. So, if that works for you Mags, that's great, but it sucks as a recommendation for most folks. A far better program is to have a Crossfit-based program 12mo/yr that WILL maintain a high degree of general, non-specific, injury-reducing fitness. Then augment with workouts from the Crossfit-endurance site or develop your own hiking-based training, as needed for whatever you have planned in the immeadiate future. Lactate threshold is highly task specific. Someone who can run a marathon in 4hr may be unable to carry 50# that same distance in 8hrs. Walking/running will do little for your core strength, IE, you will still have a weak back, prone to injury. People placed in nursing homes for physical reasons have lost proper hip function, this begins much sooner than most realize due to our sedentary lifestyle. Sedentary non-atheletes in their forties already demonstrate gait changes apparent to the trained eye. A Crossfit type program is the only thing I'm aware of that will correct this.

My hero is Jack Lallane, he's 93 and still a stud. He doesn't live on Little Debbies (he's a lacto-ovo vegetarian mostly) and he was a crossfitter before they called it crossfit.

lonehiker
12-10-2008, 12:54
The "Hike to get is shape to hike" plan only works for people with lots and lots of free time because that TAKES LOTS OF TIME.

You do not have to "hike" 8 hours a day to get into shape to hike 8 hours a day. An hour walk (hike) with a weighted pack once a day (wherever; park, neighborhood, mountains) would be quite sufficient to get into and maintain a good level of physical conditioning. Oh, and I'm quite certain that your core would receive an adequate workout from this as well. You don't need any fancy computer programs to be healthy. Quite the opposite is true. The simpler the program is, the more likely that the program will be maintained. Can't get any more simple than walking (hiking)!

Marta
12-10-2008, 14:16
I think one difference between Mags' and T-A-K's points of view comes from the difference in their ages. The older one gets, the more work one has to do just to keep close to staying in place. When I was in my 20s and 30s, for instance, I didn't used to have to work my arms, for instance, just to maintain a minimum strength in them. Past 50, I need to do active weight-bearing exercises to keep them from turning into overcooked manicotti. Short of thru-hiking, I can't spend enough time hiking to keep them in shape. I can tell from observing my parents and in-laws that people in their 70s and 80s need to do daily strength training workouts just in order to remain ambulatory.

So...20 years from now, Mags, you'll probably have a renewed interest in this sort of thing. For the time being, though, enjoy yourself!

stumpknocker
12-10-2008, 15:21
I think one difference between Mags' and T-A-K's points of view comes from the difference in their ages. The older one gets, the more work one has to do just to keep close to staying in place. When I was in my 20s and 30s, for instance, I didn't used to have to work my arms, for instance, just to maintain a minimum strength in them. Past 50, I need to do active weight-bearing exercises to keep them from turning into overcooked manicotti. Short of thru-hiking, I can't spend enough time hiking to keep them in shape. I can tell from observing my parents and in-laws that people in their 70s and 80s need to do daily strength training workouts just in order to remain ambulatory.

So...20 years from now, Mags, you'll probably have a renewed interest in this sort of thing. For the time being, though, enjoy yourself!

Mags and me must be close to the same age. :cool:

It sounds like Mags' only flaw might be the Spam Singles thing.

I'm in the "get in hikin' shape by hikin'" camp or the "get in bicyclin' shape by bicyclin'" camp. :)

Marta
12-10-2008, 15:29
Mags and me must be close to the same age. :cool:

It sounds like Mags' only flaw might be the Spam Singles thing.

I'm in the "get in hikin' shape by hikin'" camp or the "get in bicyclin' shape by bicyclin'" camp. :)

I'm not arguing that a person of any age--even a venerable person such as yourself, Mr. Knocker (I believe you're a bit older than I am so I can be snarky about this:))--can get into fabulous shape by being a full-time hiker or biker.

It's those between-long-hike periods I'm talking about. I still maintain that when Mags is in his 50s, if he continues to spend his working life behind a desk, he'll need to do more than just hike to be in comfortable hiking shape when the weekends and holidays roll around.

Mags
12-10-2008, 17:07
I still maintain that when Mags is in his 50s, if he continues to spend his working life behind a desk, he'll need to do more than just hike to be in comfortable hiking shape when the weekends and holidays roll around.

Like exercise 3-4 days a week?

Cripe...you people make everything so complicated.

I know people in their 50s and 60s who HIKE to stay in HIKING shape (some of whom are on this BBS). Mind you, they power hike and work up a big sweat.
It ain't juts a stroll.

I am not saying lifting weights is a bad thing ( I do it 3x a week myself), I am just saying the best way to get in HIKING shape is to go HIKING.

The people who aren't long distance hikers seem to advocate something different. The people who ARE experienced LD hikers (of all ages) seem to advocate hiking. Go figure.

And TAK - 1- hr a day of hiking (or stairmaster) is not above any one's time crunch if they can do some Amway exercise program. :)

And while Jack may be a stud athlete and does not eat little debbies, neither has he done an a thru-hike. I eat lean meat and veggies off trail.

On trail? Bring on the Little Debbies. :)

MOWGLI
12-10-2008, 17:36
The daily workouts (workout of the day or WOD) as posted on the site can and have caused exertional rhabdomyolosis and put people in ICU with kidney failure from massive muscle damage.

Where do I sign up?? :rolleyes:

Mags
12-10-2008, 18:09
Here's what experienced ld hikers suggest to get in ld hiking shape.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=184425#post184425

Notice the title is PHYSICAL PREP FOR LONG DISTANCE HIKING

not How to Get In general physical shape for a behind the desk lifestyle.

The ranges of people are from there 20s up to their 60s.

mudhead
12-10-2008, 18:23
I am sure Jack had his share of little Debbies in his youth.

Probably thought she was sweet.

take-a-knee
12-10-2008, 18:54
Like exercise 3-4 days a week?

Cripe...you people make everything so complicated.

I know people in their 50s and 60s who HIKE to stay in HIKING shape (some of whom are on this BBS). Mind you, they power hike and work up a big sweat.
It ain't juts a stroll.

I am not saying lifting weights is a bad thing ( I do it 3x a week myself), I am just saying the best way to get in HIKING shape is to go HIKING.

The people who aren't long distance hikers seem to advocate something different. The people who ARE experienced LD hikers (of all ages) seem to advocate hiking. Go figure.

And TAK - 1- hr a day of hiking (or stairmaster) is not above any one's time crunch if they can do some Amway exercise program. :)

And while Jack may be a stud athlete and does not eat little debbies, neither has he done an a thru-hike. I eat lean meat and veggies off trail.

On trail? Bring on the Little Debbies. :)

Well, the "Amway exercise program" (Crossfit) will accomplish more in 20 minutes or less than your hour of hiking or stairmaster. To start with, if you can last an hour on a stairmaster, you likely didn't do it hard enough to be of any real benefit. And if you do a stairmaster daily (especially the step mill version) you'll be seeing an ortho guy in the not-to-distant future for your knees. About the only cardio machine that won't generate an overuse injury is a Precor (and ONLY a Precor) elliptical trainer. Wanna know how to avoid that? Crosstrain, you could reinvent the wheel and roll you own program...or...

As far as a hour a day always being available, raise a couple of kids and get enough face time with their mother to keep the balance between "love and money" and get back with us. I predict a change of opinion.

Marta
12-10-2008, 19:12
...Notice the title is PHYSICAL PREP FOR LONG DISTANCE HIKING

not How to Get In general physical shape for a behind the desk lifestyle.

The ranges of people are from there 20s up to their 60s.

Sorry, I was indulging in thread drift. I completely, 100% agree that the best preparation for hiking is hiking. But I was drifting off into a lament that, for an over-50 like myself who works in an office, it is not possible to keep in really good shape just by hiking--an hour a day of urban walking plus weekends and holidays of hiking isn't sufficient, and has to be supplemented by weight training and high-intensity aerobic exercise (neither of which I really enjoy, and therefore don't do as much of as I should). I wasn't really arguing...I was just whining.:o

Mags
12-10-2008, 19:18
TAK: We'll just agree to disagree. You think I am full of crap. I think you have no real world experience to back it up. Feel free to reply. I think we said all we can both say. :sun

Cheers!

I wasn't really arguing...I was just whining.:o

I wouldn't call it whining..lamenting. Sounds better that way. ;)

raise a couple of kids and get enough face time with their mother to keep the balance between "love and money" and get back with us. I predict a change of opinion.

My friends, with young children, still manage to keep active.. Perhaps they are cruel parents who don't love their kids? Or maybe..just maybe, they find a way to work it out? I am sorry if you can't do it. I do know my friends (http://www.pmags.com/joomla/index.php/component/option,com_gallery2/Itemid,36/?g2_view=core.ShowItem&g2_itemId=17928) (my two closest in this photo, there are others) have provided me positive role models for being active, loving parents who have children I happen to love as well. I just learned I am going to be an "uncle" again this June. Can't wait. The little guy n the photo is now just over 2 yrs old and says "Hi Uncle Mags!" every time he sees me. :)

lonehiker
12-10-2008, 19:18
Well, the "Amway exercise program" (Crossfit) will accomplish more in 20 minutes or less than your hour of hiking or stairmaster. To start with, if you can last an hour on a stairmaster, you likely didn't do it hard enough to be of any real benefit. And if you do a stairmaster daily (especially the step mill version) you'll be seeing an ortho guy in the not-to-distant future for your knees. About the only cardio machine that won't generate an overuse injury is a Precor (and ONLY a Precor) elliptical trainer. Wanna know how to avoid that?

When should I expect to get my overuse injury as I have been using a Life Fitness elliptical machine 4-6 times a week since mid-2005.

Skidsteer
12-10-2008, 23:02
When should I expect to get my overuse injury as I have been using a Life Fitness elliptical machine 4-6 times a week since mid-2005.

Bad news. Tomorrow at 3:14 PM EST.

A-Train
12-10-2008, 23:27
My PCT friend took me to one of her CrossFit meetings. Definately a crazy workout. Most seemed to be in very good shape, but they were paying a good deal of money to be in the group and the whole thing was kinda cultish for me.

I'd rather snack on some chips and go for an occasional hike/run/bike ride during the off-season/off-year.

Jim Adams
12-10-2008, 23:39
Sorry, that was not what I wanted to paste if the moderators will please delete post #55. Thanks!

geek

take-a-knee
12-11-2008, 00:33
My PCT friend took me to one of her CrossFit meetings. Definately a crazy workout. Most seemed to be in very good shape, but they were paying a good deal of money to be in the group and the whole thing was kinda cultish for me.

I'd rather snack on some chips and go for an occasional hike/run/bike ride during the off-season/off-year.

It is cultish, it does cost $150/mo typically to join a Crossfit affiliated gym, you are renting space and equipment and hiring a trainer when you do that. That trainer will teach you how to smoke yourself using your own bodyweight, barbells, kettlebells, jump ropes etc. You don't have to join a gym if you have a garage, you can set up your own gym as I have. You'll need a pullup bar, a barbell that'll spin like a York or Pendlay, a set of rubber bumper plates for the barbell that can be dropped, a squat rack,a jumprope, a 35# kettlebell, an Abmat for situps, a medicine ball,and a place to run. When you can afford it add a Concept 2 rower ( I got mine used for $430). The Crossfit site has all you need to get started for free at the site. The Crossfit Journal has an archive of print and video articles available for $25/year. None of this stuff is really new, this is how professional athletes have trained for decades, at the college level for nearly that long. The Crossfit founder, Gregg Glassman, simply synthesized gymnastics, olympic weightlifting, middle-distance running, classic weightlifting (no machines) and circuit training to vastly increase lactate threshold (fitness) in nearly all domains. This is how Navy Seals train, this is how Green Berets train, they both used to just hike/swim and lift a few weights, they found out that Crossfit was vastly superior.

take-a-knee
12-11-2008, 00:37

Precor consulted with marathoner Alberto Salazar to design their ellipticals. The Precor has a biomechanically correct stride, your heels do not rise off of the pedals on a Precor elliptical. If you've been using a Life Fitness elliptical you should be ready for the ballet by now. How tight are your calves and plantar fascias?

take-a-knee
12-11-2008, 01:07
[quote=Mags;737876]TAK: We'll just agree to disagree. You think I am full of crap. I think you have no real world experience to back it up. Feel free to reply. I think we said all we can both say. :sun

Cheers!

I don't think you are full of crap Mags, I've never said your way was wrong, just that my way was better :). I should say more efficient, more efficient is nearly always better, like a shelter that does the same job and weighs half as much. Maybe I don't have any "real world experience" to speak of, I've never hiked a long trail, you've done several. I have been struggling to stay fit for as long as you've been alive however. I've lived long enough to taste the decline that awaits you very soon. How many pullups can you do? Can you even deadlift your bodyweight? How much weight can you overhead press? Do you even know how to safely do that? You think all this is unrelated to hiking, some of it is, and some of it isn't. You don't need to be able to do a dozen pullups to hike, but a person who can is much more fit than someone who can't. There is more to life than hiking. Thinking you are fit just because you can carry an UL pack and walk several miles, while dining on debbie cakes, is analagous to Jim Fixx's running "fixation". It didn't quite work out as he planned.

mudhead
12-11-2008, 07:24
All things in moderation. I try to break a sweat every day. Eat decent.

A family friend just took a ride on the leukemia express. Was an ironman. Very fit. Genes matter.

Since then I have backslid a bit. Pass the cookies.

Mags
12-11-2008, 15:43
TAK: Let's just sum up your posts.

I AM RIGHT..you are all wrong.

Why bother writing you? Why bother refuting anything you say with logic? You never read what anyone writes (like I lift weights, eat lean off trail) and instead hawk your Amway $150/mo exercise program.

I give up. You win.

Cheers.

:sun

Bulldawg
12-11-2008, 15:43
This thread is about All Junk Food Performance Hiking Diet...................

just saying............

Mags
12-11-2008, 15:47

just saying............

....on a long hike.

People forget that and seem to think it applies to every day. :sun

Sly
12-11-2008, 16:41
This is how Navy Seals train, this is how Green Berets train, they both used to just hike/swim and lift a few weights, they found out that Crossfit was vastly superior.

Yeah but how many Navy Seals and Green Berets thru-hike? Me, I show up and hike. Sure it sucks at first, but after a month of two it's not so bad.

take-a-knee
12-11-2008, 17:05
Yeah but how many Navy Seals and Green Berets thru-hike? Me, I show up and hike. Sure it sucks at first, but after a month of two it's not so bad.

They are way too busy providing you the chance to hike.

Bulldawg
12-11-2008, 17:06

You are right TAK, but again........this thread is about the “All Junk Food” Performance Hiking Diet (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=738393#post738393). No need to rehash Sly's privileges to hike here.

leeki pole
12-11-2008, 17:44
.....ran 30,000 miles, ate whatever I wanted, what I craved for 24 years....had to give up running due to chronic knee and achilles injuries...still eat whatever I want, have gained 4 pounds in three years since I had to quit running.... 5'10" and 148 pounds..........walk 20 miles a week, work two Labradors four times a day....all this diet crap is overrated....get off the couch and walk, don't go to the gym, get outside....Merry Christmas to all.....

mudhead
12-11-2008, 18:41
Why bother refuting anything you say with logic?
I give up. You win.

Cheers.

:sun

Marital aid. $20 to me.

(Sweet Jose help you if you ever try that!)

O sorry. Off topic.

Anyone ever bought the runt size Fudge rounds? Are they desperate or what?

Sly
12-11-2008, 20:53

You are right TAK, but again........this thread is about the “All Junk Food” Performance Hiking Diet (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=738393#post738393). No need to rehash Sly's privileges to hike here.

Hmmm... I didn't start the drift, but I did start the thread.

TAK thinks he knows it all, but I'm not aware of him doing any serious long distance hiking. Seal and Green Beret training have nothing to do with hiking. Hiking has to do with hiking.

ofthearth
12-12-2008, 00:13
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/customavatars/avatar2834_1.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=2834) Mags (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=2834) http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/statusicon/user_offline.gif
Hiker Trash

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/images/icons/icon1.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/wb_style/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?p=738335#post738335)

just saying............

....on a long hike.

Just curious :-? why would TAK posts be deleted? Seems like Mags pointed out the context of the discussion is hiking (ect) unless we're just discussing " All Junk Food Performance Hiking Diet" to be talking about twinkies.

Sly
12-12-2008, 00:31
Yeah, none of the issues in the thread have anything to do with you Sly. It's all TAK. Just forget I said anything about the thread. It'll remain open as long as it needs to. If it comes down to TAK, I'll delete his posts.

No problem. I know how TAK gets. It was hard to refrain from drifting WAY off topic.

yappy
12-13-2008, 10:36
along with hyoh it should eyoj. I can pretty much gaurantee that after you have been out a month or so you figure out what works for you.