PDA

View Full Version : GossamerGear Carbon Poles recieved/tested:

MedicineMan
04-08-2004, 00:08
Last Friday I recieved the GossamerGear Carbon Poles...I had originally tried to obtain carbon fiber poles from Bozeman Mountain Works but due to snail-mail snafus I never recieved them and ordered the GossmerGear poles instead.
the poles are as advertised and weigh exactly 2oz per pole,including basket (weight confirmed on two digital scales). The poles I recieved are shiny black (as expected per material used), have typical tips of carbide like Leki or Komperdell, the grips on my poles were black foam rubber and surprised me in the feel, surprised because I prefer cork (the grips did have a hole on top, and for that Glen Van Peski gave me a small discount on the poles, the hole seems perfect to place some gizmo for steadying a camera). The poles also lacked straps, I personally have only used the straps to attach the poles to my backpack on limited sections of certain trails where pole use may actually hasten one's decline.
These poles are one piece, they do not collapse.

I tested the poles on this weeks section hike from Spivey Gap to Nolichucky River....this is an easy hike, in fact I told 2 thru-hikers that this 10miles was the easiest in 200 miles either north or south. There were two climbs, each small, but one long drop to the river (approx 2000feet). The poles performed well and if you are interested shock absorbtion technology consider the inherent flex in the carbon fiber over aluminum...after the descent, often putting much more pressure than I really need to on one pole, I was satisfied that it would take something horrific to snap one.
I also dropped one pole 5 times over the 10.4 mile section...if it werent for the tactile feeling of the pole sliding across the skin I may not have known that it was falling from my hand-that light in effect.
Swing weight: something important in paddling, and aking to 'corking' a phenomenon experienced in kevlar boats, these poles just dont seem to be there when swinging forward.

retail price: I think Glen lists them for 98$

It's worth surfing to GossamerGear to see Glen's new offerings, if you know the GVP-4 pack then you know Glen is serious about really impacting lightweight backpacing.

tlbj6142
04-08-2004, 10:28
So, what length did you order? On a hard surface and the poles in your hands, are you hands higher or lower than your elbows?

Could you palm the top of the poles on decents?

No straps. That might take some getting use to. I've use the straps exclusively on my Lekis (a la X-country skiers). Which is how they are suppose to be used. Not that it matters.

So, the Bozeman poles got lost in the mail? They have straps and are a bit heavier (6oz/pair instead of 4oz/pair) and cost more.

Grimace
04-08-2004, 12:35
Could you post a couple pictures of the poles? Maybe a picture of the tips, handles, etc.

I have a pair of Leki's and had a set of Masters before that. When I hike, I actually do not use the straps. I found that sometimes when you have the strap around your wrist and one of the trolls underground grabs onto the tip that you poked into his house and holds on for dear life, (it was a long hike: read: stick pole between two rocks or under root by accident) the pole can get bent because the strap keeps the pole attached to your body which is still moving forward. W/O straps the pole just gets ripped from your hand w/o any harm except having to pick it up afterwards.

tlbj6142
04-08-2004, 13:20
When I hike, I actually do not use the straps. W/O straps the pole just gets ripped from your hand w/o any harm except having to pick it up afterwards.Understood. I just find using the straps more comfortable (no need to put a death grip on the handles) and gives you better control than not using the straps. Everyone has there own style.

I actually have been trying to rid myself of the poles for quite sometime. These lighter poles just might prove to provide me with what I want from a pole (keep me walking more erect and help with downhills) and what I don't (weight!! == arm fatigue).

MedicineMan
04-08-2004, 22:27
I will post pics next wed. night after i get out of my cage (I work a week and am off a week and this week the hospital owns me)......
You can palm the top but not as easily as with other poles (I have BD and Komperdell to compare to)...this is a nuance of the ones I recieved, Glenn is working on different 'tops' so may not be an issue on later poles.
'Lost in the mail' well that is what Bozeman Mtn Wrks said, heard from another forum that they were out hiking, they billed me for over a month on VISA, I contacted VISA and said to dispute, Bozeman said they would credit.....then I contacted Glenn at GossamerGear/GVP4.........
Yes lighter and cost infinitely less....you will not be dissapointed with these if you are in the ultralightweight mindset.

steve hiker
04-08-2004, 22:47
I would buy a pair in a heartbeat IF they had straps. Without straps, I'll stick to my Lekis.

MedicineMan
04-08-2004, 22:54
All my previous poles had straps, I've never used them except to attach to a gear loop on the pack when in an area that is frought with pole danger (climbing up Mt. K as an example)...the one time I did use them I got a bad rub....so with the GossamerGear poles I will eventually have to figure a way to attach them to the pack though these times are indeed rare.

NewOldGuy
04-10-2004, 22:40
Medicine Man: Two questions

1) Is is right to assume the lighter weight made a big difference in comfort / energy level?
2) I understand the poles are one piece. Did that present a logistics problem in carrying them at times, or did you use them 100% of the time? If you used them 100% of the time, was that awkward at times?

MedicineMan
04-11-2004, 00:01
Glad to see you here, or have you been here all along? Regardless....I used the poles on this hike 100% of the time, 'cepting short stops here and there to take a photo....
The allusion to effort expended is interesting and I mused over that in my consideration of swing weight-which at 2oz/pole is seemingly inconsequential and conversely comparing to any other pole substantial whether felt or not surely adding up over the days hike time.

Also, forgot to answer....I purchased 130cm and when standing normally the grips are above my elbows....my hiking style with poles is to occasionally lower my hands and drag the poles,,,,now with these lighter models just center and hold them, this when I feel any tingles or other subtle hints that the hands need more blood...for paddler this may relate to when on long paddles actually opening the hand and pushing the paddle forward alternating with open and closed grips in effect 'pumpin' blood into the extremity........

NewOldGuy
04-11-2004, 23:21
Medicine Man

Actually I am new to these boards - thanks to your tip, I came on over and am enjoying the additional source of information and discussion.

MedicineMan
04-11-2004, 23:44
I feel as though I know you from someplace else! maybe deja vu'....
And an emphatic yes to the info sources here, a good community, but like all communities there are eccentrics like me lurking about :)

Currently looking at the Patagonia Spectre rain jacket,,,any thoughts? would save me 4 precious ounces over my current jacket....

SGT Rock
04-12-2004, 09:59
Now this sounds like something I need. I wonder how they will hold up?

Kerosene
04-12-2004, 11:30
I'd guess that carbon fiber would hold up pretty darn well. My only concern is the sizing. I get elbow tendonitis if my hands are above my elbows. Plus, it would be nice to use the same pole for my Europa II tent pole, but that needs to be a little taller.

MedicineMan
04-12-2004, 21:57
You can order them in almost any length....
wear and tear? here is my concern with carbon fiber....I used it in tent poles before-well still do (my Akto's pole was subbed out with carbon by Fiberplex), I use a carbon fiber Greenland paddle when seakayaking, and I've been around carbon fiber masts in sailboarding....OK, now my concern with the poles...it has to due with the nature of fiber (be it kevlar, carbon, nylon, whatever), its strength has to do with its layers....weaken a layer and you can have a ripple effect....so how to weaken a layer in a pole? i think by little nicks, constant nicks and these will occur near the ground where the pole will sideswipe rocks, edges,ledges, etc.....
The question is how long will this take to eventually weaken them to the point of failure.....also, how many times do you get a pole stuck in a hole or between two rocks and then torque against it.
Time will tell and the second my poles crack I let you all know, and kinda keep a running mileage on them, but when they do break I will certainly get another pair.

CanoeBlue
04-12-2004, 23:24
The question about durability of the carbon poles is valid. Carbon is very light and stiff, but it can also be quite brittle. A lot of carbon kayak paddles now have a thin layer of glass layed over the carbon to protect the carbon from nicks.

MedicineMan
04-13-2004, 01:08
When/if I got the second pair I think I will dip them into (tip removed), or paint on a thin layer of plastic on the 'ankle' section of the pole.....but all of this is circumspect now...I've seen my sailboard take a beating after beating from a slamming mast/boom with no damage. I just dont want to defeat the 2oz/pole feature....

MedicineMan
04-23-2004, 23:23
did Beauty Spot to Nolichucky last Monday with the poles...now this is a section even more rock gardens...again no problems..20+ AT miles on them now....they will be on the section in Va next week.

slatchley
04-25-2004, 18:56
I have just ordered a tent that needs hiking poles to setup, so I wonder how this would work with fixed length poles. I insist on straps, they make me feel more secure and I use biking gloves to cushion my hands. Only drawback, other than weight is they stink worse than anything else. My wife tought she had stepped in dog doo after our last hike but it was my gloves.

steve hiker
04-25-2004, 21:09
Ever fall face first in a pile of dog doo?