PDA

View Full Version : New sleeping bag, willing to pay for the quality

ATX-Hiker
12-08-2008, 19:31
I got a NF 15* bag for a smoking deal recently, took it out only got down to 40 and I was warm. But I'm not real sure how true the rating is. So I've decided to drop some dough on a nice bag that'll last me. I'm starting NOBO 02/26/09. I have a light summer bag that I'm having mail dropped once the weather warms up. Now my endless questions begin...

1. Stick with a 15* or look into a 0* rated bag, considering start date and change to summer bag when the time is right?

2. Of the high end bags i.e. MB, FF, WM, Marmot(?) which seem to be the truest to rating and how does the quality of construction compare?

3. Does anybody own or have experience with the Marmot Helium EQ?
I saw it on backpacker.com they reviewed it well, but they also sell advertising space. I did like the weight and the supposed waterproof exterior.

skinewmexico
12-08-2008, 19:33
I don't think I've ever seen a complaint about a Western Mountaineering bag. I've also been reading a lot lately about how synthetics lose their insulating value over time.

taildragger
12-08-2008, 19:34
I think that if you stick with a bag, any of the names your listed will work great.

I have a marmot helium long (and I'm at 6') I got cold at 12*F, through the bottom of the bag (frozen ground and only a ridge rest pad). So, with adequate ground insulation, I might be able to go down to 5*, but then again, I'm a toasty sleeper

slow
12-08-2008, 22:41
I got a NF 15* bag for a smoking deal recently, took it out only got down to 40 and I was warm. But I'm not real sure how true the rating is. So I've decided to drop some dough on a nice bag that'll last me. I'm starting NOBO 02/26/09. I have a light summer bag that I'm having mail dropped once the weather warms up. Now my endless questions begin...

1. Stick with a 15* or look into a 0* rated bag, considering start date and change to summer bag when the time is right?

2. Of the high end bags i.e. MB, FF, WM, Marmot(?) which seem to be the truest to rating and how does the quality of construction compare?

3. Does anybody own or have experience with the Marmot Helium EQ?
I saw it on backpacker.com they reviewed it well, but they also sell advertising space. I did like the weight and the supposed waterproof exterior.

You cant find a bag for true temp,quality,wt, better than W.M. hands down.:D

hnryclay
12-08-2008, 23:06
I can vouch for WM Versalite, the best bag I have ever used.

garlic08
12-08-2008, 23:21
I love my Marmot Helium, have had it out in +5F on snow with a Z-rest and a reflectix--chilly but survivable.

buz
12-09-2008, 10:06
1, IMO, a 15 high quality bag is fine. you will have insulation clothing along anyway, so using that will be enable you to push the ratings for any really cold nights u encounter.
2. Any of those are likely very good bags, and IMO, you could add montbell ulss bags to that list. Don't think you could make a bad choice. Get 800 fill power, spend the cash, likely first and last bag you will buy, for low temp anyway.

Fit is key, and IMO, trying on bags is important. WM bags have a slim cut and bigger cut size, depending on model. REI stores carry Marmot bags. I would go out of my way to get in some of the bags, know the exact dimensions of ones you get in to be able to make comparisons to ones you cannot physically get into. Then I don't think you will be surprised. If by chance you order one without trying it, don't make it fit if you don't like it. Spend the postage, send it back and keep looking.

ki0eh
12-09-2008, 10:56
Any good/bad experience with online vendors of WM specifically?

Red Hat
12-09-2008, 11:09
No, but there's a WM in the gear for sale that seems like a good buy right now.

slow
12-09-2008, 11:32
Any good/bad experience with online vendors of WM specifically?

travelcountry.com Great to work with.

JAK
12-09-2008, 11:51
I would disregard all temperature ratings and just compare based on thickness, and back that up with estimated thickness based on ounces of fill x fill power for equal sized bags. You have to do some research and decide how many inches of loft you need. Then you have to decide on fit. If the bag you want is roomier and longer than you need, then it would actually need to be thicker to compensate for the extra surface area that you are heating. Then you have to like the design of the bag for the way you are going to use it. Then there is the choice of shell material. Then there is price, how much you are willing to pay to save 10oz, or 20oz, for the same warmth. $100 to save 10oz is only a $1 a night and $0.10 a mile it you use that bag for 100 nights and 1000 miles. Once you've done that I would definitely say the more expensive bag has paid for itself.

Two things I would like to know...
1. When do you actually need one of those heavier outside shell material, like GWS?
2. Is the shoulder girth they list for bags the actually inside girth, or that of the person?

ATX-Hiker
12-09-2008, 11:57
Two things I would like to know...
1. When do you actually need one of those heavier outside shell material, like GWS?
2. Is the shoulder girth they list for bags the actually inside girth, or that of the person?

I second those 2 questions and add another.

1. The stretch bags by mont bell in theory make sense. In the real world how do they fit? Do they make anybody feel claustrophobic or do they allow ample movement?

There is no outfitter around me that carries them, so I would be going on blind faith.

I also saw the Marmot Helium EQ online for around $350, really tempted to pull the trigger on it.

buz
12-09-2008, 14:07
atx

I have the mb ulss #2, and am 6' 170#. Fit is very roomy for me, kinda skinny guy, plenty of room for layering and moving around. Love the bag, not claustrophic at all, like the small size WM bags are, IMO.

My opinion on the other 2 questions:

no need for water resistant shell if u are using a tarptent or tent. If u are using a tarp, maybe a good idea. Or buy regular bag and look at bivy if needed.

I am pretty sure girth measurement is the bag dimensions, inside, without compressing insulation.

River Runner
12-09-2008, 14:22
Even using a tent a water resistant shell isn't a bad idea due to condensation, or if you take a water bottle inside to drink during the night (I often do) and have a spill. The pertex shells are fine for this.

The listed dimensions of sleeping bags are generally the outside measurements.

ATX-Hiker
12-09-2008, 16:20
I did it I went with the Marmot Helium EQ, $343 from backcountry.com with free shipping. I'll post a review once I get it.:banana

slow
12-09-2008, 18:08
I did it I went with the Marmot Helium EQ, $343 from backcountry.com with free shipping. I'll post a review once I get it.:banana

You missed out on a new W.M. BADGER.... for a 100$ less with a full return to the company.:eek:

mudhead
12-09-2008, 18:32
You missed out on a new W.M. BADGER.... for a 100$ less with a full return to the company.:eek:

Where please.

ATX-Hiker
12-11-2008, 14:49
Just got my bag. Super fluffy, light, and packs up tiny. Supposed to be freezing this weekend, I'm going to test it out then. see yall on the trail.

corialice81
12-11-2008, 14:59
Just got my bag. Super fluffy, light, and packs up tiny. Supposed to be freezing this weekend, I'm going to test it out then. see yall on the trail.

Learned a lesson about my helium from a hiking buddy. Don't use the stuff sack it came with, instead of a waterproof bag like sea to summit.

Mags
12-11-2008, 16:29
Go with a WM or FF; you will not be disappointed.

slow
12-11-2008, 20:56
Go with a WM or FF; you will not be disappointed.

Just like a good gravy.:D