PDA

View Full Version : Thru-hikin Dogs

wspartykid
04-08-2004, 04:57
I got a puppy a few weeks ago and I'd hate to leave him next year when I do the AT. I was wondering how many people out there took there dogs on a thru hike. I'll get him a pack so he can carry his own weight and I think he'd make good company when things get lonely.

"Sometimes a dog can be as good as any man," J.B.

Chef2000
04-08-2004, 05:20
Dude should have checked old post, you just opened a storm of $#%^.

Mr. Clean
04-08-2004, 06:30
Do a search of hiking with dogs and see what you can find. There was a pretty good discussion a few months back, if I remember. Hope this thread doesn't degenerate like all the other dog threads...

shades of blue
04-08-2004, 08:05
The thread these guys are talking about was started by me. Check this link out http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=2746
Hopefully it will give you some guidance. I would especially pay attention to what Baltimore Jack (Jack Tarlin) had to say. He was polite and straight forward. There were also some other very good posts. Then again...some people ( I will name no names) were pretty rude and over the top. There are some very strong feelings, and for very good reasons. Some people take care of their dogs and don't allow them to bother other hikers. Unfortunately, many just let their dogs run wild. I recently had a dog come up to me and growl and I wasn't being threatening in any way. Anyway...I'd read the thread.

gravityman
04-08-2004, 10:47
I don't really know what kind of a dog, or really even when dog's stop growing, but it would seem that 1 year they would still be growning and forming bones. It's a bad idea to have a dog that hasn't matured fully on that kind of a hike. Could lead to joint problems later on. Same reason that kids are strongly recommended against running marathons.

Gravity Man

Blue Jay
04-08-2004, 11:08
I don't really know what kind of a dog, or really even when dog's stop growing, but it would seem that 1 year they would still be growning and forming bones. It's a bad idea to have a dog that hasn't matured fully on that kind of a hike. Could lead to joint problems later on. Same reason that kids are strongly recommended against running marathons.

Gravity Man

How dare you Gravity Man. Only a Monster would be opposed to a cute little Puppy Dog with his own Troll on the Trail.

smokymtnsteve
04-08-2004, 11:51
The words of EDWARD ABBEY

"When a man's best friend is his dog, that dog has a problem."

"It is not an easy thing to inflate a dog."

QUESTION from Smokymtnsteve

"when inflating a dog....which end???"

TJ aka Teej
04-08-2004, 12:21
I got a puppy a few weeks ago and I'd hate to leave him next year when I do the AT.[/i]

Take a look at that thread link that was posted.
Then ask your veterinarian what she thinks.

mattyg2
04-08-2004, 22:30
First off, let me say that I love hiking with my dog. However, I see two serious problems with your plan.

First, goign through that kind of stress before your dog is fully developed may lead to some serious problems later on in life. I'm currently working on with my dog on agility training, and was recommended not to start jumping with him until at least a year and a half so he his bones would have time to fully set. I can't imagine that carrying weight all day while pounding up and down the trail would be good for a dog that age.

Second, maturity is a serious issue. I wouldn't trust a one year old dog to stay with you and act responsibily the whole time. Waiting until the dog is at least two or three could potentially remove a whole lot of agrivation and potential heart ache since its nearly impossible to keep a dog on a leash 24/7 for five to six months straight.

That being said, if you are still seriously considering this, do lots of training with the dog (obedience and hiking) before you try hiking it. It will make your trip a whole lot easier on your dog and yourself.

Matt

Valmet
04-11-2004, 21:11
Leave the dog at home. You can't hike with it in the national parks. It will chase animals, crap any where it wants and I doubt you will bury it. The animal will get hurt and then you will have to find a vet. Just because you like to hike don't think your animal will also, espically if you want to have some 20 plus mile days.

Chip
04-11-2004, 22:28
I responded to the Thread regarding "Trailhounds" back on 2/28/04. I have 2 grown dogs that are trained trailhounds that stay on a leash at all times, have their own packs to carry their food. My dogs are not aggressive but can be protective in a given situation. They do not bother other hikers as we pass by them along the trail. Quite at night to sleep. I bury their waste. From my experience a dog should be trained to be a trailhound. The dog should be at least 2 years old before going on a major hike. A puppy will be too much trouble as their attention will be everywhere else but on the trail. A puppy will want to greet every hiker that comes along and some hikers don't like being bothered. A pup might bark and whine at night, no sleep for you and any other hikers nearby. Train your dog, give it time, you both will enjoy the trail more. Find a trail close by that is not heavily used and start to train your pup. Start with 30 minute sessions and gradually work up to longer sessions. Check your local bookstore for books on this subject. "Hiking With Your Dog" by Gary Hoffman or "Hiking With Dogs" by Linda Mullally. 20 years ago I used to show dogs as a hobby. So I like to give a treat - reward to my dog when training.

I don't always take my dogs with me. Sometimes we put them in a kennel.
Depends on what we want at the time. A trained dog = good trail etiquette
and a great time hiking with your dog !

Happy Trails,
Chip ;)

SGT Rock
04-12-2004, 09:53
Don't do it.

wspartykid
04-13-2004, 03:50
It probably wouldn't be the best idea to take him, but I'm going to miss him :(
I was kinda of iffy about but I thought I get some advice first. Anyway, I'm taking out for his first hike next Sunday at the Red River Gorge. Gotta break him in sometime.

Oh yeah, I tried inflating him, and it works best from the rear