PDA

View Full Version : Information inside regarding GoLite Shoes

Sideblinder
12-08-2008, 21:21
Hey all, this is my first post here on White Blaze, great community. Here's some info I hope some of you will find useful. I sent and received these emails to/from GoLite regarding their endurance trail shoe line. They look like excellent shoes on paper, and seem to have received very positive reviews except for a common failure. Anyhow, the two email messages speak for themselves.

If anyone has more information they can add, please do. I'm planning on doing the West Coast Trail later this year, and want shoes a bit tougher and with better traction and water shedding capability then my standard runners. If you can point me in the direction of another able shoe, I'd appreciate it.

My message to GoLite;
Hi there,
I'm looking for a pair of lightweight trail shoes, and your Endurance line is near the top of my list. Unfortunately during my research I have found numerous reports of what may be a manufacturing defect or a new found lack of quality with these shoes(This problem seems to be a very premature failure of the toe box area of your shoes). I have also found reports of people experiencing this problem being quickly contacted by your company, having the problem thoroughly explained as a simple non-permanent manufacturing error and quickly receiving replacement shoes. I hope this is the case, but why is there no information regarding this seemingly common issue on your website? Are all of the affected shoes now out of retail circulation? Is this issue in fact acknowledged by Golite?

I, and I'm certain many others, would be more comfortable purchasing your shoes (I would have ordered them already in fact) if this issue was acknowledged on your website and remedied.

Thank you for your time. I look forward to hearing your response, and I apologize if I have in fact overlooked any information pertaining to this issue on your website.

http://mail.google.com/mail/images/cleardot.gifJody Linehan

to me

Thank you for your interest in GoLite Footwear. I will try to answer and clarify the questions and concerns that you have. The defect that you mention, tearing across the toe-box, is an identified defect. It occurred at the manufacturing level and has absolutely been resolved. A little further explanation; the shoes that are currently at retail and available are the last generation of shoes manufactured by Timberland. Timberland owned GoLite Footwear until we bought it in June of this year. The “new” GoLite will ship shoes to retail in February!

Unfortunately, because we did not manufacture the shoes we do not know how many are still available or in inventory. It is also a defect that is not noticeable through inspection. We don’t know if the shoe is bad until you do. On that note we will replace the shoes immediately. When we bought GoLite we changed manufacturing facilities so we hope we will not have any further problems.

Also, Timberland has been very good about the issue and it’s responsibility. If you have a problem with a shoe and do not want a new pair, they will issue credit. I hope that I have covered the issues! Please do not hesitate to contact us if you have any further questions or concerns.

Sincerely,

GoLite Footwear
200 International Drive
Suite 250
Portsmouth, NH 03801
877-610-8870
Fax: 603-610-8875
[email protected]

So take that as you will, I'm going to wait and see what kind of response I get here before making my final decision.

Skidsteer
12-08-2008, 21:24
Thanks for the info and welcome to WB.

Bulldawg
12-08-2008, 21:25
Yes, welcome to White Blaze, enjoy your stay!

BrianLe
12-09-2008, 13:39
I interacted with (a very nice person) from Golite last year about this too, and got a similar reply about it being an identified and since-corrected manufacturing defect. This was when I was using the first generation of Sundragon's. Early in my PCT thru-hike this year I switched to Sundragon II's, and indeed, they're structured differently (a separate issue from the "glue used" comment I had seen) such that they can't tear out as much, at least along the sides of the shoes.

My sense is that they didn't tear out as quickly, but it's still a point of failure in the Sundragon II's, and based on the look and feel I would guess of at least some other models of Golite shoes as well (speculation). To put it another way, while I still got 500 - 600 miles per pair of shoes and could have gotten more, I found it silly and useless to consider wearing gaiters after the first 150 - 200 miles, as by then large enough holes had developed in the fabric of the shoes on both sides of the upper (where it crosses the big and small toes essentially) that little rocks could get in anyway.

They were a fine shoe overall, but my best guess is that Golite improved but didn't completely fix the problem of "premature holes in top of foot fabric"; hopefully the new post-Timberland versions will wear better in this regard. Since I like the overall design a lot, I'll be interested to hear!

Brian Lewis
http://postholer.com/brianle