PDA

View Full Version : Had trouble pitching my tarptent to shed precip.

Bster13
12-08-2008, 21:48
Did some winter camping this wknd and Used my Ray-Way tarp tent w/ trekking poles for the first time. I pitched one end with the beak staked to the ground into the wind and the other as higher high as I could get it. Overall the thing rocked, but I had three problems:

1) I wanted a higher ridge line in order to make the sides of the tent steeper to shed rain/snow better, but I was limited by the height of my trekking poles and the fact that I staked one end of the tent to the ground. That combined with using my side guys to give me some more volume in the already low tarp, added up to a flat tarp tent that collected some snow through the night.

http://www.photosleeve.com/user/bster13/album/zombiesquad-12-4-08-12-7-08/item/1272008-047

2) I had a little trouble keeping my ridge line taut w/ the trekking poles. When setting up between two trees I use a taut line hitch to retension over time, but with the trekking poles I just wrapped the ridege line around the trekking pole twice and then staked to the ground. How would I retension that other than restaking as needed?

3) On the end of the tent I entered the tarp tent, I tied the beak to the trekking pole, mid-way down. What is a knot I can use there that I can a) undo easily and b) if possible retension over time? The thread is so tiny, a taut line hitch did not work well.
Thoughts?

Here's a link to my winter camping wknd. It hit 15 degrees one night and the tarp did great: http://www.photosleeve.com/user/bster13/album/zombiesquad-12-4-08-12-7-08

Egads
12-08-2008, 22:04
Looks like the design makes a wide and flat pitch. I do not see anything you can do to steepen the pitch.

Bster13
12-08-2008, 22:06
Hrmmm that sucks, haha. I guess my best bet is to pitch it with the help of a tree next time then, huh?

Feral Bill
12-08-2008, 23:08
Do you know the truckers hitch? It's perfect for line tightening. If the line is too thin for proper knots, why not replace it with something a bit stouter? As you said, you may need to use a tree for some conditions. The woods usually have a few. Your pictures look like this is workable.

Bster13
12-08-2008, 23:13
I'll look up the trucker's hitch. As for replacing it with larger line I'll pass for now and save the weight, but we'll c. Yes trees were an option, but I wanted to rock the trekking poles in hopes of testing my pitch in high winds that never came. :p

TomWc
12-09-2008, 11:57
I think it's the way you pitched it, there's a big flat section in the middle. If you want it higher and steeper to shed snow, you're going to lose usable interior volume or lift the edges. More of an a-frame, or a flying diamond or a pyramid will shed precip better, there are some great examples on youtube and hikinghq.net of good tent pitches.

kanga
12-09-2008, 12:15
that tent looked like it wouldn't work no matter how you pitch it. good luck with that. if you finally decide that the ray-way is not for you, pm general. i've never had that problem with his stuff. imagine the same floor space, 3x's the headroom, several different ways you can set it up and i'd be willing to bet, weighs less. probably half the price too. also, telescoping/adjustable poles will help with that height issue sometimes.

Lyle
12-09-2008, 12:17
As far as tensioning the guy lines to stakes. By far the best system I've found, and the one that I've used since it was recommended by Sierra Designs back in the 70's with my Starflight tent is as follows:

Use slightly longer guy lines than you would normally use. About 1/3 of the way down from the attachment at the tent/tarp, tie a small loop in the line. Keep it large enough to easily get a finger through. When staking your tent/tarp place your stake, bring the guy line to it, wrap it around the stake then take the end back up to the loop. Thread the free end through the loop, pull it as taught as you like, then secure it with a granny knot, but just push the free end part way through leave a quick release loop in place.

Whenever re-tensioning is needed, simply pull the free end. This simple pull will both untie the knot and re-tension the guy line. Finish off by tying a new granny knot with the quick release loop.

This method has worked for me for over 30 years. I've never had a knot slip or come undone unintentionally. If you misjudge the distance for the stake the first time, simply move it in or out as necessary. The absolute only draw-back I've found is that If I keep the tent for many years, I have to replace the guy lines occasionally (every few years, not every other trip) as the friction will eventually weaken the loop. Could also just tie a new loop.

Bster13
12-09-2008, 12:39
The ray-way is home made off his kit...I doubt it is cheaper that premade offerings, but I could be wrong. Also, how do u get more volume under the tarp without increasing the amount of fabric used, thus more weight? Are they using Spinnaker or cuban fiber with their tarps?

that tent looked like it wouldn't work no matter how you pitch it. good luck with that. if you finally decide that the ray-way is not for you, pm general. i've never had that problem with his stuff. imagine the same floor space, 3x's the headroom, several different ways you can set it up and i'd be willing to bet, weighs less. probably half the price too. also, telescoping/adjustable poles will help with that height issue sometimes.

Lyle
12-09-2008, 13:07
As far as pitching, I would try:

1) Replace the rear treking pole with a shorter stick. Doesn't need to be any longer than the rear of the tarp is high.

2) Place the trekking pole you replaced inside the tarp at the mid-line, in line with the two rear tie outs. This should give you a more pronounced mid-line and raise the interior. Will need to adjust the height of the trekking pole and possibly the tension on the tie outs. Place the handle of the trekking pole into to tarp, possibly use a sock as further protection. This may or may not be stable enough, but if it works, I would add a small fabric pocket at that point to hold the Trekking pole in position.

Might work, might not. Gotta experiment with tarps - that's what's great about them, they are versatile.

Bster13
12-09-2008, 13:31
*note to self, next time get adjustable trekking poles* *grumble, grumble* :p

But good ideas Lyle...I thought about using something inside the tent to prop the mid-ridge, but I worried about that pole/stick going through my ground tarp with a sharp edge. I'll think about it.

TomWc
12-09-2008, 13:49
I like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkBeZqXU4zk) pitch, have used it a couple of times and it shed rain well, can't speak for snow, but it seems like it could be a good starting point.

The thing is, for a tarp to shed snow, it has to be pitched like a tent. An A-frame setup like a pup tent with a ridge line between two poles sheds it effectively. Think of how an alpine a-frame chalet sheds snow compared to a flat roof ranch house and you'll get the picture. Just set it up a bunch of different ways in the back yard, you'll find one you like. Have fun!

Bster13
12-09-2008, 13:57
OK, so in a sense he is making his tarp into a pyramid shape....I'll give that a try.

kanga
12-09-2008, 14:12
The ray-way is home made off his kit...I doubt it is cheaper that premade offerings, but I could be wrong. Also, how do u get more volume under the tarp without increasing the amount of fabric used, thus more weight? Are they using Spinnaker or cuban fiber with their tarps?

it's not so much in the amount of fabric used as the configuration you put your fabric into (yes, i know that didn't come out right, i'm a retard, but hopefully you'll know what i mean). all those angles and folds, just seems like a big waste to me. plus you give snow and ice a flat surface and they're going to build up. just from the pictures, it seems that there's more guyouts and seams that really needs to be on a tarptent. less seems, less nylon webbing = less weight. nothing special on the fabrics yet, just 1.1 oz silnylon (so far). i can get four people very comfortably sitting up and playing cards in one of general's tents. not stooping while sitting either. my tarptent sleeps 2 people, 4 dogs, and all your gear with space left over to spread out. also, with the telescoping poles, i can make it low for windshear similar to how it looks like your's is supposed to work.

kanga
12-09-2008, 14:16
*note to self, next time get adjustable trekking poles* *grumble, grumble* :p

But good ideas Lyle...I thought about using something inside the tent to prop the mid-ridge, but I worried about that pole/stick going through my ground tarp with a sharp edge. I'll think about it.

when i go hiking alone, i don't take poles, so i end up using sticks. ended up making something for this problem after poking a huge hole in my tent and saying many dirty words. i found an old canvas tent down in the basement and cut off one of the grommeted nylon webbing guyouts. i folded it over so that it formed a loop with the grommet being in the middle of one side of the loop. sewed the end together. stick goes through grommet to keep it from sliding off the webbing and the doubled over webbing keeps it from poking the tent anyway.
i really don't like middle poles though, because i always end up kicking them in the middle of the night.

TomWc
12-09-2008, 14:35
Check out this one (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzJHuWlEAtk) too for a neat idea using bomb proof canvas. I like the forged stakes and brass d-rings! Got a mule to hike with?
I'm going to try the a-frame thing with trekking poles instead of wood, it looks pretty sturdy.

It's a good example of the versatility of a tarp and the tradeoffs, you sometimes give up footprint to shed precipitation or headroom to shed wind. Picking the right pitch for the conditions is part of the fun.