PDA

View Full Version : Steripen for 32oz Gatorade Bottle?

Mocs123
12-08-2008, 23:32
I am interested in retiring my trusted Pur Hiker and trying a Steripen,The only issue is I use Gatorade bottles and have heard that the Adventurer does not work well with this small of opening, is this true? I have also heard that the Journey, the newer LCD model fits better in the opening due to its tapered end, but is bigger and an ounce heavier than the Adventurer and it seems like the LCD screen would shorten your battery life. Any thoughts or suggestions?

ChinMusic
12-08-2008, 23:56
I can tell you for sure that the Classic (original) fits perfectly in the opening of the 32-oz Gatorade bottle.

ARambler
12-09-2008, 01:35
I can tell you for sure that the Adventurer does not fit well in the opening of the 32-oz Gatorade bottle. If you fill the bottle to the very top you can get it to work, but if you try to stir the pen turns off.

Long feet
12-09-2008, 12:27
I use a wide-mouth Nalgene cantene with an adventurer. It is very light, and works well. This was my solution to have a bottle I can capture water easily, zap with the IR, and use as a hydration bladder. Hope that helps.

ofthearth
12-09-2008, 15:33
I remember that subject came up before on WB and the same problem- yes it does no it doesn't. It was only when a picture was included that we realized that ( as I recall) the name/model was the same but they had changed something about the steripen.

Mocs123
12-09-2008, 19:39
I just ordered a Steripen Journey. Thanks for your help!

blackbird04217
12-10-2008, 12:45
I am thinking about getting a steripen classic because this thread sparked the interest. My original plan was to ignore water treatment, then after looking into the steripen it seems rather intriguing although pricey. Does anyone have any experience on 'real' values for battery life and if its possible to do the AT without many battery stops? Thanks :D

I've already read some figures that they advertised and that seems it would last the whole trip... Also wondering what maintenance is like with it, supposedly turn it on, wait till it turns off, put it away and drink the water. What happens if its below freezing out? As I said generally I drink right out of the stream, but I wanna have a good backup plan if I desire to treat the water at a given point in time due to the length of the trip and the fact that I don't want to feel the need to pass a water supply because I didn't have it.

Wags
12-10-2008, 14:04
imo the classic is the way to go, although a bit heavier it uses AA batteries which are much easier to come across

ChinMusic
12-10-2008, 15:01
imo the classic is the way to go, although a bit heavier it uses AA batteries which are much easier to come across
My GPS uses AA batteries as well. I have the additional option of swapping out if I need to.

buckwheat
12-10-2008, 16:34
Just ensure that you have a coin, or a screwdriver to get into the battery compartment.

Horrid design.

ChinMusic
12-10-2008, 17:06
Just ensure that you have a coin, or a screwdriver to get into the battery compartment.

Horrid design.
For which model? The Classic is an easy twist.

10-K
12-10-2008, 18:34
I can tell you for sure that the Adventurer does not fit well in the opening of the 32-oz Gatorade bottle. If you fill the bottle to the very top you can get it to work, but if you try to stir the pen turns off.

Same here. You can get it to work but don't move....

Saying it "fits" is misleading. It's more like it rests on the top of the bottle in such a way that the contacts can reach the water if the bottle is full.

It will absolutely not fit into the bottle in the way most people interpret "fit" to mean.

talking about the Adventurer here... don't know about the classic

buckwheat
12-10-2008, 18:50
Here's a good video demonstration of the Steripen Journey, which shows the retarded battery replacement:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyvCLBFIFZY

I also agree with 10-K regarding how it "fits" water bottles, etc. That's kind of a misleading way to put it. You can use it with many types of bottles, but it doesn't seal the bottle in any way.

The company should hire a descent industrial designer. No hiker wants a device that requires a screwdriver to make it function.

ChinMusic
12-10-2008, 19:27
Here's a good video demonstration of the Steripen Journey, which shows the retarded battery replacement:

Ugh, that IS unfortunate. Why would they design it so you HAD to have a coin (or something similar)? The twist-off on the Classic is fine.

I don't know if it is a deal-breaker. You aren't changing the batteries all that often. You prob could come up with something if you didn't have a coin in your pocket.

Mocs123
12-10-2008, 20:10
In the reviews on Backpack Gear Test, the reviewers both said it was manageable with a fingernail after the initial opening on the journey.