PDA

View Full Version : Best Food for Dogs with Packs

eyahiker
04-08-2004, 10:34
----------------------------------------:)

torch
04-08-2004, 12:29
I would be carefull around Jugs End and along the ledges in southern Mass. Might be a bit hard on a large dog's joints going down the steeper slopes, but other than that, Mass. isn't a bad place for a dog. Lots of water. Also, though, lots of ticks, so make sure you do a thourogh tick check, lest they find their way onto you after hitching a ride on Rover!

I'm doing Mass. again in May. If you're interested, I would more than welcome the company of a nice, big, goofy dog! (You can come too!)

Cheers!

Chip
04-08-2004, 23:01
I feed my dogs dry food all the time so I don't want to change their diet. Dry food will weigh a little less than the semi-moist because it has no water, so that helps as far as having to carry or if your dog packs in his own food.
Both my dogs wear packs and carry some of their food. The pack should not exceed a third of his weight, better if a little lighter, helps with his balance over an uneven trail.

Happy Trails,
Chip :)

torch
04-08-2004, 23:08
One more thing, while I think of it. If your dog has never worn a pack before, make him wear it for a few days to get used to the extra girth. My friend and I took his lab for a hike a few years ago and tried a pack for the dog. It kept hitting the pack on everything; our legs, trees, rocks...poor thing took three days to figure out it needed to give objects more distance!