PDA

View Full Version : Six Moons Designs Traveler Backpack

Chance09
12-08-2008, 23:34
So i'm sold on the 6 Moons Starlite after using it for a 3 day trip through SNP, but i think it is a little big for a thru. I really don't need that much space. I had it full during my hike only becase i was carrying a hammock, underquilt, larger tarp and food for 2.

I'm interested in the traveler since it's a little smaller and i like the panel loading aspect of it. Anything that I should know about it before I go ahead and buy it? Has anyone bought/used one? Thanks in advance for the help.

bulldog49
12-09-2008, 13:28
I'm looking at this pack as well, trying to decide between it and the SMD Comet. :-?

doodah man
12-09-2008, 20:40
Chance09,
I have three SMD packs, the Essence, the Starlite, and the Traveler. I used the Starlite for a month on the AT in 2007. Due to rain considerations, I wanted the dry-bag style top used on the Starlite. Worked very well and kept everything bone dry. I never filled it to capacity but between the roll top and the compression system was always able to get a tight, comfy fit. This year, I used the Traveler on a JMT thru hike. Same exact suspension as the Starlite. I found the panel loading much more convenient than the roll top, but it might be tougher to keep everything dry in an extended wet period. If I had to keep just one, it would be the Traveler.... (FYI, the large Bearikade Expedition at 900 cu.in. easily fit inside along with the rest of my gear. We did a NOBO JMT hike and had to start with supplies for 9 days before our first re-supply. No problems.) doodah-man