PDA

View Full Version : Through Hiker's Eyes

trippclark
12-09-2008, 00:46
Anyone out there read this new book yet?

http://tinyurl.com/6jepf8

Opinions?

emerald
12-09-2008, 01:24
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=43141

Jack Tarlin
12-09-2008, 20:38
I'm curious as to why the book was published in two parts.

$20.00 for each volume seems excessive.

emerald
12-09-2008, 20:50
I'm curious as to why the book was published in two parts.

I've PMed someone who may be able to provide an answer.

Jack Tarlin
12-09-2008, 20:52
I was also hoping to check out the original journal upon which this book was based.

It no longer exists.

emerald
12-09-2008, 21:03
Baro's journal was removed long ago although I can't be more specific about when. It was quite entertaining.:D

I read his journal, linked and promoted it here in 2006. He went to the trouble to inform me my links would no longer be good when he made the decision to pull it.

Shasta
12-09-2008, 22:17
I've PMed someone who may be able to provide an answer.

Thanks Shades of Gray for passing the message along. I've emailed Baro, and here is his response::D

“At the overwhelming request of my ChallengePoint clientele, I turned my journal into a book. I couldn’t cheat them out of any of the story. I knew that if I did, they would just harass me with more questions. I set out to silence them. The entire work turned into 920 pages, which is far too intimidating for a single book, so I broke it in half. I was still concerned about Book 1 being 432 pages, but so far the response has been good. Most say the maps and short chapters make the book a quick read. In regards to the cost, most people are taking advantage of the offer to buy both books for $35. That equals out to $17.50 per book. Not bad for 920 pages.”

Reading the book (twice now) has been a wonderful trip down memory lane for me. Baro is an extremely entertaining writer, who manages to stretch the truth just enough so you know that the actual events happened, but have to wonder which details should be attributed to his interpretation of those events. :-? Example: Yes, I did serve Baro soup out of a cup that according to River Weasel might have been someone's pee cup... but I adimitly deny knowing it to be as such. :rolleyes:

And yes, Shades of Grey... I would be willing to bet that H-Bomb did actually order 20 copies... as someone who shared a 4 by 6 foot plastic dwelling with her for nearly five and a half months, I can say I know her well enough to support or deny any claims made by her perhaps impulsively. (Though, we both know that I'm the far more impulsive one and yet, I only bought 7 copies...I figure it's the best way to answer everyone's questions as to "what really happened out there for six months.")

Cheers!

Shasta

h-bomb
12-10-2008, 22:51
True that! My roomie of 5+ months knows me only too well! I did in fact by 20 books and I really need to buy more so that all my friends and family can be enlightened. =) however, i am on my way to egypt for 3 weeks so i have to see what kind of funds i have left over...i am already trying to think up good lines and funny remarks so that when we all get together to hike the pct baro will have even better stuff to put into books 3 and 4! =)

Smuffin
12-12-2008, 00:18
I get a kick out of people who think that paperback books should still sell for a nickel ... put in your teeth and head over to your local bookstore! I know that Bill Bryson's "definitive" AT thru hiker book goes for about $15. With 200 pages more than Bryson's book, Baro's book is a real bargin at $20.

As a side, I've met Baro through ChallengePoint, and he is a real character. I am looking forward to reading this one. Peace!

Jack Tarlin
12-12-2008, 18:09
Nobody's saying a book should cost a nickel.

But $35.00 for a Trail memoir is kind of stiff, regardless of its length.

snowhoe
12-12-2008, 19:31
Smuffin thats pretty funny dude. Damn I should have done the same with my journal entries oh yeah I was dumb and didnt hardly right any.!.!

Phreak
12-12-2008, 19:48
Nobody's saying a book should cost a nickel.

But $35.00 for a Trail memoir is kind of stiff, regardless of its length.
Agreed.

Lone Wolf
12-12-2008, 19:51
you can read all the trail memoirs you want for free on Trailjournals.com. all the books and journals on the AT are basically the same

Lyle
12-12-2008, 22:56
Excellent book. worth the money.

From someone who has actually read it, unlike many of the opinions here regarding whether or not it's worth it. Besides, I wouldn't be surprised (but I don't know and personally don't care) that some of the profits may go towards Challange Point, since the entire hike was a fund raiser.

Baro's a great writer. Maybe Robert Redford should hold off on his movie. Probably more material here to do a film about Thru hiking the AT.

Jack Tarlin
12-13-2008, 14:36
Hey Lyle, I'd be more than happy to read it, and I look forward to doing so.

And if it didn't cost thirty-five bucks (:eek:), maybe I would have already done so.

Maybe a lot more people would.

Do you get it now? :rolleyes:

emerald
12-13-2008, 14:53
Jack, I don't believe Larry asked for your opinion.

People must decide for themselves whether or not they want to buy and read this book. It's not up to anyone here to determine its selling price and it's in bad taste to disparage this effort.

You want more support for WhiteBlaze, change your tune. Otherwise you'll end up with a small, private club which exerts little influence.

Lone Wolf
12-13-2008, 15:38
and jack didn't ask for yours. get off your high and mighty horse

A-Train
12-13-2008, 16:54
920 pages of anyone's story seems excessive.

Lone Wolf
12-13-2008, 16:56
unless you're Michner

Mags
12-13-2008, 17:11
920 pages of anyone's story seems excessive.

Indeed.

I don't think the journal of Lewis or Clark was that long. ;)

I rarely buy books now-a-days. A library card is a lot easier to move. :banana

Good luck with the book in all seriousness. People might be more inclined to buy it if maybe there is a sampler chapter or two? (esp when you can't browse through the book in the store). Works for many other authors/publishers.

boarstone
12-13-2008, 18:20
Santa is bringing it to me for Xmas...I hope he knows it's in two volumes...

Keane Watts
12-13-2008, 19:20
Gentlemen you're pulling at my heartstrings here. I've read the book and loved it, but I would be willing to rip it apart and sell it to you a nickle a page so that its comfortable with your budget and reading level.

Mags
12-13-2008, 19:39
Gentlemen you're pulling at my heartstrings here. I've read the book and loved it, but I would be willing to rip it apart and sell it to you a nickle a page so that its comfortable with your budget and reading level.

I am sure it is a wonderful book and more profound than the Iliad, but most people like to thumb through a book first before plunking down $35. :sun

Besides, want to know a secret on how to do multiple thru-hikes? Get books from the library. :banana

Honestly, good luck in marketing the book. As with many online only sellers, though, a PDF of a single chapter may go a long way in helping decide if possible purchasers like the author's writing style, the subject matter, etc.

Here's a similar book with a similar marketing strategy to the one being discussed:
http://francistapon.com/book/Intro.pdf

Just an idea. Since the idea is free..that's probably all that it is worth. ;)

Good luck! I think it is great someone is able to write and publish a book of their journey.

Smuffin
12-13-2008, 22:36
Wow, looks like the hornets are aswarmin' here today! I got me a copy of Baro's book so I could educate those still stewing about the price tag. Got to tell you, Baro's book is good stuff! Unlike other AT books I've read, this one doesn't punish the reader with drawn-out descriptions of every fart and blister encountered on the trail. Nor is it 2000 miles of the author's introspective babblings about the meaning of life and every childhood memory. "Through Hiker's Eyes" is a fun (and quick) read, told by a very colorful story-teller, about the wacky folks found wandering up the AT.

RITBlake
12-13-2008, 22:43
Lost interest at the price tag. Unless he's got the secret of life buried somewhere in there, i'm not plunking down that much for any book, AT related or not.

emerald
12-14-2008, 00:35
get off your high and mighty horse

Here we go again with the anti-equine rhetoric!:rolleyes: I'm not posting from my tall, white mare. I wouldn't think of taking WhiteBlaze with us when we ride.;)

unless you're Michner

Maybe Baro is better. You'll never know.:p:D

Lyle
12-14-2008, 10:42
Hey Lyle, I'd be more than happy to read it, and I look forward to doing so.

And if it didn't cost thirty-five bucks (:eek:), maybe I would have already done so.

Maybe a lot more people would.

Do you get it now? :rolleyes:

Jack, the point is, self-publishing and promoting a book is very expensive and a big risk for the author. I know some other folks who have done this. They also charged $25 for the first volume of what is to be a 2-volume set. They are not even covering their costs, in spite of much travel promoting the book. There is a limited audience for hiking books, and growing smaller with each year.

Lone Wolf
12-14-2008, 11:03
oh lyle, cut the dramatics. why don't you post a page or 2 of this wonderful book to show us what is so different and why it's not just another trail book

A-Train
12-14-2008, 12:56
I used to gobble up every AT book I could find before my hike, I was obsessed with anything AT.

I found after I thru-hiked that I had little desire to read anymore AT related books. I guess I've got my own stories and these accounts are no longer magical.

Nevertheless, I wish this guy the best of luck promoting his book. As mentioned it is very hard to market a book to such a small audience.

Especially considering so few hikers know how to read :)

Jellybean
12-14-2008, 15:31
I thoroughly enjoyed part 1 of Baro's Book and thought that since I hiked with the tribe and summited with them it was a must have for me. I also bought several copies as gifts for my friends and family so they could get a feel for what the year was like on the AT. Those who don't live on the internet! I can't wait to see book 2 and wish I could support the publishing costs even more! It's so entertaining, I really couldn't put it down and I'm personally glad that he didn't cut it down to one book. If you really can't afford to help defray the costs of publishing a book in paper copy, then just wait a few years and you will probably find them in used bookstores everywhere. I think when the word gets out, This will be THE book of the AT . And I will have an original first edition! Go Baro!

Chardonnay
12-14-2008, 16:47
I beg to differ, Lone Wolf! Not all trail journals are created equally. Most authors write poorly and frankly don't have a lot to offer. I could not stand to read the average trail journal from beginning to end! That's just fine, as their audience generally consists of their closest relatives and kind friends keeping track of them on the trail.

I believe Baro could write about nearly topic at nearly any length and attract readers of all kinds, not just members of our small hiking community; and that is what will hopefully make his book more successful than your average trail journal. I kid you not, I own a book on grammar that is hilarious and fascinating because the author is so fabulous! Baro is an author, and a compelling one at that. He sees life through a different lens than most of us, and he is able to communicate his point of view effectively, humorously, and subtly. I'm an avid and critical reader and I adored the book.

I do think it's a GREAT idea to get some excerpts out so people can get an idea of what they're in for. As a book lover and collector, I was more than happy to pay for the story and found it to be an extremely quick read. It was one of those books that I missed when I was finished. I would have been disappointed had it been a page shorter!

emerald
12-14-2008, 18:35
:welcomeChardonnay and Jellybean! Thank you for your posts. I enjoyed reading about your hikes in 2006.

Chardonnay, I saw the rainbow you mentioned in your journal although we never met. It appeared to me as I drove east on I78 and glanced toward The Pinnacle. It's too bad I couldn't capture and save that scene to share with others, but I remember it still. Thank you for reminding me of it today.

Keane Watts
12-14-2008, 20:12
Did anyone notice that in Baro's book Mississippi Smitty sounds a lot like Minesota Smith? He was on the trail in 2006. Hmmmm.....

weary
12-15-2008, 13:05
A lot of the cost of a book are upfront costs of laying it out in preparation for printing.

Unless you have the skills of a Bryson, or the emotional appeal of a Bill Irwin, sales are apt to be minimal, requiring the upfront costs to be divided among a relatively few sales. Hence the relatively high costs of trail books.

Weary

Jack Tarlin
12-15-2008, 16:28
I just got a copy of Earl Shaffer's "Walking With Spring" from the ATC.

This is arguably the finest Trail memoir extant.

Cost me all of $8.95.

Good Trail books don't have to be expensive.

trailmonkey
12-15-2008, 16:30

Cost me all of $8.95.

used or new?

A used copy of Bill Bryson's " A walk in the woods" can be had on amazon.com for a penny plus 3.99 S/H.

Doesn't change the fact that Bryson got his cut with the origjnal sale

saimyoji
12-15-2008, 16:38
Did anyone notice that in Baro's book Mississippi Smitty sounds a lot like Minesota Smith? He was on the trail in 2006. Hmmmm.....

now that might just be worth $35 :-? .....nah.

emerald
12-15-2008, 16:41
Same broken record.

Jack Tarlin
12-15-2008, 16:48
No need to be snotty about it, Shades.

All I'm doing is pointing out that most Trail diaries/memoirs cost a lot less.

(And most don't approach a thousand pages, either, but that's another matter entirely).

weary
12-15-2008, 17:32

Cost me all of $8.95.

The original edition of Earl's book was self published because neither ATC nor any commercial publisher would do so. The "type," imitation handwriting I think, looks like it was set on an IBM Selectric typewriter by Earl. He bound the copies himself.

It's a collector's item. It later was picked up by ATC, edited and printed professionally. I wouldn't swap my copy for a 100 of the $8.95 version. Though the price may go up if there is a second printing. I doubt if you can produce a quality paperback trail memoir for $8.95 these days.

I agree that "Walking with Spring" is the finest trail memoir extant.

Weary

Shasta
12-15-2008, 17:44
Jack,

I understand that you are not happy with the cost of the book. That is fine. You are not being forced to buy it. Hopefully, it will end up in a library somewhere along the trail, or you will be able to borrow it from a friend of a friend soon and you will be happy with that solution. Self- publication is an expensive process. Even Model- T's book are close to $30- for the soft-cover editions.

I guess you (and others) just missed your chance to follow an excellent trail journal while it was up for free for over a year. A lot of the details are filled in through this book as well as questions answered.

Those of you who have asked/ suggested it will be happy to know that Baro is working on trying to some selections of the books up in PDF form on the trailpeddler (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/www.trailpeddler.com) site. He has pretty much done everything for the publication process himself and is still learning the ins and outs of the site that has been created. Please be patient, it should be coming along soon...

Hmmm... Minnesota Smitty.... there are more than a few characters whose trail names have been slightly altered in the book... and quite a few that have not. I leave you to figure out the algorithm Baro used for deciding which ones would or would not be changed.

Jack Tarlin
12-15-2008, 18:45
Geez, enough with the pile-up Greek chorus from folks who've never thought to post here before; it's starting to look like Amazon's book reviews, where it takes you to awhile to realize that all of the woozy rave reviews are the author's sister and her fourteen sock puppets.

Let the record show one thing: I have not commented on the content of this book, its quality, its accuracy or its literary worth.

I'd love to, but at present, just before Christmas, I have other things going on.

I'll take people's word for it and assume it's worth reading.

All I'm saying (and all I said, several times now) is that compared to similar Trail diaries and journals, it is quite expensive, and this this excessive cost is probably preventing some folks from buying it.

That being said, I have lots of friends who've "self-published" books, and they either managed to keep themselves under 1,000 pages, or they charged a lot less for their books. A Trail diary does not necessarily become more worthy or substantial because it outweighs "Great Expectations."

Just sayin.'

As for my "missing a chance to follow an excellent trail journal while it was up free for over a year," well I stopped visiting Trailjournals a while ago, for all sorts of reasons. Most of the journals there are simply not very good.

Several folks have suggested that this work might benefit from having excerpts or selections publicly posted, so that folks can examine it for themselves.

Not a bad idea. I hope it happens.

Lastly, and this needs to be said, I've seen all manner of "Trail diaries" and Trail journals in recent years. Some of them "masked" existing figures. Some embellished them. Some made stuff up out of whole cloth. And some merely printed a whole lotta stuff that simply wasn't true.

A lot of the "algorithms" people use in order to make their personal diaries interesting to other people isn't always great math, or great literature.

But then again, I'll withold judgement till I actually see the book.

Which in its present incarnation, will likely take awhile.

I just sent some extra $ to the ATC and to our local Humane Society, which sorry, right now, seems like a better expenditure of funds. If I feel the need to read an A.T. diary, I'll find one on-line that's still free.

Tinker
12-15-2008, 18:57
Jack, you've just gotta take that "KICK ME" sign off of your backside.

:P:P:P

Tinker
12-15-2008, 18:58
Argh! Did it again! :p:p:p

Better. :)

Jack Tarlin
12-15-2008, 19:02
Right, Tink. People don't like hearing the truth, and they enjoy lashing out at it.

Especially, anonymously, on the Internet.

Nowhere have I criticized this book, its content, or its author. All I said was that it might attract more readers if it cost less.

Evidently, this sentiment threatens people.

trailmonkey
12-15-2008, 19:10
(and all I said, several times now)

Hmmmm

Mags
12-16-2008, 23:42
This has nothing to do with the thread. But someone mentioned Michener.

Centennial (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0076993/)is now on DVD. Like any good Coloradoan, I read the book. But, I was only 5 yrs old when the mini-series was aired. Currently watching it via Netflix.

As an aside, a book about the history of Colorado from the 1700s to the 1970s is a little ~1000 pages in length (current paperback edition sitting on my bookshelf)...about the same length of this new AT book. :banana

Bearpaw88
12-18-2008, 14:15
Hey interesting thread.
I have never heard of the book before. The price does seem steep. Plus I don't find reading trail accounts as exciting as I once did. For me even if the book was 15.00 I probably wouldn't read it and I am not losing any sleep for my choice.
I do like LW and Jack's suggestion that an page be published on-line. It would give more people an incentive to read it by showing 1) It's not like all the other books and 2) it is worth the price.

Smuffin
12-19-2008, 01:02
The "sock puppets" asked that I convey that while Earl Schaeffer's book is a wonderful historical record of great significance, it simply is not an entertaining read. Folks that site Schaeffer's book as the "finest" trail memoir are simply being AT snobs. Beyond being far more entertaining that Schaeffer's memoir, Baro's book is also more relevant to the modern AT enthusiast. Baro's book celebrates the vibrant Trail community of the present day, which simply didn't exist back in 1948. We've come a long way, baby!

Lone Wolf
12-19-2008, 06:22
The "sock puppets" asked that I convey that while Earl Schaeffer's book is a wonderful historical record of great significance, it simply is not an entertaining read. Folks that site Schaeffer's book as the "finest" trail memoir are simply being AT snobs.

i agree. Bryson's A Walk In The Woods is much better

brooklynkayak
12-19-2008, 15:28
"Through Hiker's Eyes - part 1" is one of my favorite all time reads.
It is not a trail journal/diary per say, but a well written and comically entertaining story.

I can't wait for part 2.

My wife agrees and she hates adventure stories.

I agree with others, it costs a lot more to self publish and I believe it is worth the extra $ to support independent publishers, especially when the money supports a good cause.

superman
12-19-2008, 16:12
Jan's book The Ordinary Adventurer - Hiking Vermont's Long Trail was self published and reasonably priced. I couldn't have enjoyed it more.

A young man that hiked in 2000 just put his book out on this site www.rememberthecarrot.com (http://www.rememberthecarrot.com/) . I haven't read it yet. He said that I'm in it so I'm afraid to read it. It's also reasonably priced.

Both books, as well as others, were self-published. I hope writing a book isn't a hiking requirement. I'll write a book when or if I ever do anything of interest.

Jack Tarlin
12-19-2008, 16:24
In regards to Post #49, above:

Glad to see that "Smufffin" is apparently a real authority when it comes to "Walking With Spring."

Also happy to see that he finds it a "wonderful historical record of great signicicance."

Must say, however, that one would be a bit more impressed with his alleged expertise on this subject if he hadn't spelled the author's name wrong three times in his post.

The author of the book was Earl Shaffer, in case he's interested.

The book is available from the ATC for about nine bucks. And despite what some may tell you, it is indeed an entertaining read.

eArThworm
12-24-2008, 23:29
In case y'all haven't noticed, Chapter 1 of Book One is now online.
I didn't see that mentioned in this clutter of posts. Go to:
http://www.trailpeddler.com/Products/Through%20Hiker%27s%20Eyes/THE%20Chapter%201/THE%20Page%2015.htm
I agree with those who've said it's a good read. And humorous.
I've checked, and it's not available in libraries yet, so unfortuantely
no Interlibrary Loan. Y'all need to go ask your libraries to buy it!
Or donate a copy to them.

Christus Cowboy
12-25-2008, 14:04
I'm currently about half way through the first book and have really enjoyed it.... I have read Jangles and Chardonnay's trailjournals online and the book helped round out what I already had read from them.... There's even some "cameo" appearances by Jack Tarlin himself! I know the price has been the subject of much discussion but in my mind, it is more than just purchasing a book but also supporting Challegepoint and the author himself.....

FritztheCat
12-25-2008, 14:35
I'm about halfway through as well. Great reading. What I'm finding interesting is the description of the day's events as Baro relates them. Since I haven't thru hiked yet (2011 will be here before I know it) his descriptions of the trail are very helpful. He's got a great sense of humor too!

yaduck9
12-25-2008, 15:21
Hmmmm

Yeahhhhhhhhhhh..................

yaduck9
12-25-2008, 15:31
http://www.amazon.com/gp/cdp/member-reviews/A2Z40AT5TV0ZUP/ref=cm_pdp_rev_title_1?ie=UTF8&sort_by=MostRecentReview#R11L4JYGZQ39SW

authors sock puppet or sister?

boarstone
12-25-2008, 20:27
I got it for Xmas as it was on my wish list,:banana I can't wait for part 2. I started reading it before I opened another gift! It's worth it to me...but then again, any book that is put to print by a "thru hiker", to me, is worth the read. Ryor (read your own read)

yaduck9
12-26-2008, 11:13
i think i will try to read this book. reading the feedback on this thread, good and not so good, makes me think there are some excellent depictions of trail personalities. and that is always fodder for a good laugh, in the most positive way.

Smuffin
12-29-2008, 11:04
In regards to Post #53 above:

Thanks for the spelling lesson, "Jak". I have been consulting with Earl's German ancestors, and they assure me that the family name was properly spelled "Schaeffer" before the family emigrated to the U.S. And, notwithstanding the spelling of Earl's name, his book is simply not entertaining. Again, it is historically significant, but simply not entertaining (unless you reside in a sensory deprivation chamber). Baro's book, in contrast, is incredibly entertaining to the modern Trail enthusiast. If I were to recommend one book to a modern Trail hiker, Baro's book would be it. Excellent read!

Jack Tarlin
12-29-2008, 14:41
This is a really stupid argument.

Smuffin, believe it or not, people have been enjoying (and have been entertained) by Earl's book for many, many years.

If youi want to anonymously shill for someone else's book, that's fine (isn't that why you came to Whiteblaze, Smuff?) but there's no reason to denigrate anyone else's work, especially Earl Shaffer's.

Insulting Earl isn't going to score you any points here, pal.

If you were any kind of hiker, you'd know that.

Give it a rest.

Lone Wolf
12-29-2008, 14:47

Smuffin, believe it or not, people have been enjoying (and have been entertained) by Earl's book for many, many years.

If youi want to anonymously shill for someone else's book, that's fine (isn't that why you came to Whiteblaze, Smuff?) but there's no reason to denigrate anyone else's work, especially Earl Shaffer's.

Give it a rest.

jack, smuffin ain't insulting or denigratin' earl or his work. just stating his opinion. his book is rather boring like most AT books

kanga
12-29-2008, 14:49

Give it a rest.

people have to agree with your opinion, or they're just wrong, huh? give it a rest, jack. people are intitled to think whatever they want about something without consulting you first.

Jack Tarlin
12-29-2008, 14:59
Calm yourself, Kanga.

Earl Shaffer's trail memoir, "Walking With Spring" has been available for decades.

Untold thousands of folks have read and enjoyed it.

For anyone to say that the book has no entertainment value.....well, this is a pretty foolish thing to say.

And no, they don't have to consult me or anyone else on this.

All I did, Kanga, was question Smuffin's comment on Earl's book, which was insulting, rude, and most of all, false.

If you feel otherwise, feel free to tell us why.

Lone Wolf
12-29-2008, 15:03
I get a kick out of people who think that paperback books should still sell for a nickel ... put in your teeth and head over to your local bookstore! I know that Bill Bryson's "definitive" AT thru hiker book goes for about $15. With 200 pages more than Bryson's book, Baro's book is a real bargin at $20.

As a side, I've met Baro through ChallengePoint, and he is a real character. I am looking forward to reading this one. Peace!

Wow, looks like the hornets are aswarmin' here today! I got me a copy of Baro's book so I could educate those still stewing about the price tag. Got to tell you, Baro's book is good stuff! Unlike other AT books I've read, this one doesn't punish the reader with drawn-out descriptions of every fart and blister encountered on the trail. Nor is it 2000 miles of the author's introspective babblings about the meaning of life and every childhood memory. "Through Hiker's Eyes" is a fun (and quick) read, told by a very colorful story-teller, about the wacky folks found wandering up the AT.

The "sock puppets" asked that I convey that while Earl Schaeffer's book is a wonderful historical record of great significance, it simply is not an entertaining read. Folks that site Schaeffer's book as the "finest" trail memoir are simply being AT snobs. Beyond being far more entertaining that Schaeffer's memoir, Baro's book is also more relevant to the modern AT enthusiast. Baro's book celebrates the vibrant Trail community of the present day, which simply didn't exist back in 1948. We've come a long way, baby!

In regards to Post #53 above:

Thanks for the spelling lesson, "Jak". I have been consulting with Earl's German ancestors, and they assure me that the family name was properly spelled "Schaeffer" before the family emigrated to the U.S. And, notwithstanding the spelling of Earl's name, his book is simply not entertaining. Again, it is historically significant, but simply not entertaining (unless you reside in a sensory deprivation chamber). Baro's book, in contrast, is incredibly entertaining to the modern Trail enthusiast. If I were to recommend one book to a modern Trail hiker, Baro's book would be it. Excellent read!

there's nothing insulting, rude or false about his posts, jack. seriously. it's just the dude's opinion

Jack Tarlin
12-29-2008, 15:07
Easy, Wolf.

I respect his opinion.

I'd respect it more if

1) He didn't feel the need to insult other people's work in order to promote
the stuff he likes, and
2) I'd respect him more if pushing this book wasn't his sole reason to be here
on Whiteblaze. Are you aware, Wolf, that the quotes of his that you so
thoughtfully provided constitute his ENTIRE contribution to this website?

Lone Wolf
12-29-2008, 15:11
Easy, Wolf.

I respect his opinion.

I'd respect it more if

1) He didn't feel the need to insult other people's work in order to promote
the stuff he likes, and
2) I'd respect him more if pushing this book wasn't his sole reason to be here
on Whiteblaze. Are you aware, Wolf, that the quotes of his that you so
thoughtfully provided constitute his ENTIRE contribution to this website?

he ain't insulting earl's work. it's not entertaining to me either. so what if he only has 4 posts. he likes the book.

kanga
12-29-2008, 15:12
he didn't insult it, jack, he gave an opinion. some people will like earl's book, some people it doesn't do anything for. it's his opinion. i don't think that's false, or rude, or insulting. it's just his opinion. i don't like cauliflower, i think it sucks. i'm not being rude to cauliflower, it just doesn't do anything for me.
and for pete's sake, quit stirring ****. he's not insulting earl. it's a friggin book.

Lone Wolf
12-29-2008, 15:15
he didn't insult it, jack, he gave an opinion. some people will like earl's book, some people it doesn't do anything for. it's his opinion. i don't think that's false, or rude, or insulting. it's just his opinion. i don't like cauliflower, i think it sucks. i'm not being rude to cauliflower, it just doesn't do anything for me.
and for pete's sake, quit stirring ****. he's not insulting earl. it's a friggin book.
some folks think earl is the hikin' god of all gods and nothing negative can be said about him. he was just a man that walked the AT a few times like lots of others. it's ok for earl him to slam gramma gatewood though :D

Lone Wolf
12-29-2008, 15:18
i wanna see a few pages of this new book to see if it's as good as bryson's

stacy324
12-29-2008, 15:41
:D
i wanna see a few pages of this new book to see if it's as good as bryson's

If it's as good as bryson's - I'm buying it! I'll wait until Lone Wolf reads the book and post his review.

I might be waiting for a while ---

Lyle
12-29-2008, 16:43
Hey all,

See post #54 for a link to the first Chapter. Will give you a sense of Baro's style. You asked, Baro responded.

Lone Wolf
12-29-2008, 16:47
Hey all,

See post #54 for a link to the first Chapter. Will give you a sense of Baro's style. You asked, Baro responded.

yeah so, 4 paragraphs

Lyle
12-29-2008, 17:03
yeah so, 4 paragraphs

Click the "Next Page" in the middle of the right hand margin. The entire first chapter is on line.

A-Train
12-29-2008, 17:12
Click the "Next Page" in the middle of the right had margin. The entire first chapter is on line.

I read a lot of the first chapter. Frankly it was pretty boring, I was making myself read on. Didn't grab me. He'd be better off picking a random vignette that is hilarious and will grab the reader. Just my 2 cents

brooklynkayak
12-29-2008, 20:25
If I remember correct, the first chapter was my least favorite of the whole book.

Then again, it could be that it takes more than a chapter for the story to develop. Once I was getting to know the personalities, it became much more entertaining, like most good books.

It also adds to the enjoyment knowing that many of the characters in the book are members of this forum:)

MOWGLI
12-30-2008, 16:19
Earl Schaffer's works are not immune to criticism. Nor are anyone else's literary endeavors. Personally, I don't find Earl's work to make for compelling reading. Others are free to disagree.

Happy New Years to all. May 2009 be a great year for readers and hikers of all stripes.

Mags
12-30-2008, 16:42
To sum this conversation up:

You are a big poo poo head.

AM NOT!

ARE TOO!

Happy new year's all. :sun

Alligator
12-30-2008, 20:56
Maybe this Baro character will make as much money as Bryson with all this controversy.

All this arguing and some of you haven't even read the book:rolleyes:. I might want to read the book myself instead of reviewing this thread.

I'm going to reopen the thread in a minute, but it's a bit off track.

Christus Cowboy
12-30-2008, 21:58
I just completed the book and I really enjoyed it.... As with most journals which seek to highlight not just the journey but the trail community met along the way, the early chapters often just start to develop the story while later chapters provide more detail as the depth of the relationship between hikers deepen..... I have found that many of the funny interactions between thru-hikers come when an adequate level of comraderie has been established which one would generally find in later chapters..... I think this is the case with Baro's book as well.... Hey if any one has the $20.00 to spend, I'd say buy the book.... You not only get to buy a good book but also support a worthy organization as well.....

FritztheCat
12-30-2008, 22:59
Got to agree with Christus. I finished this evening and really enjoyed it. Looking foward to part 2.

trippclark
03-18-2009, 16:01
I meant to post back to this thread several weeks back. I did purchase, receive and read the book, "Through Hiker's Eyes" and thoroughly enjoyed it (volume 1). It is one of the most humorous accounts I have read, and compares favorably with Model-T's first book, "Walking on the Happy Side of Misery" in that way. I would easily put this book in my "top 4" or "top 3" of the 12 or 15 published A.T. Journal "type" books that I have read. The style of the writing -- lots of dialogue, short chapters, and a good amount of wit and humor -- makes it a quick read in spite of its large size. I am looking forward to volume 2.

I also got a chance this past weekend to meet Larry "Baro" Alexander (the author) for the second time. We had met very briefly on the trail in 2006 during his thru-hike.

Several folks have made a big deal about the price of the book ($20 per book or $35 for the set), and as a world class penny-pincher, I'll confess that it is a bit more than most books that I buy. Of course, being a thick book, page for page it is probably cheaper than most A.T. books. In entertainment value, however, for me it was worth every cent. I've bought more than a few $10 books that were b-o-r-i-n-g!

I have also learned, as I think was mentioned earlier, that the book proceeds help to support ChallengePoint (http://www.challengepoint.org), the adventure-based charitable organization that Larry helped to found and runs. This gives me even more reason to be happy to buy the book. When I can buy something that I like and enjoy, and help a good cause at the same time, that is a win-win. That is my opinion anyway, YMMV.

Finally, regarding volume 2, I found out in talking with Baro that book 2 is a little bit delayed from the early March expected date. It seems that he's had a bit of a snag with the graphic artwork for the cover. I did not ask for or get a new delivery date, but got the impression that it would be a couple more weeks at least before volume 2 would mail out.

FritztheCat
03-18-2009, 17:38
Finally, regarding volume 2, I found out in talking with Baro that book 2 is a little bit delayed from the early March expected date. It seems that he's had a bit of a snag with the graphic artwork for the cover. I did not ask for or get a new delivery date, but got the impression that it would be a couple more weeks at least before volume 2 would mail out.

I was wondering about that just this week. I'm looking forward to the second volume. Thanks for sharing!

Lyle
03-18-2009, 19:54
Thanks for the update. I've also been looking forward to the second volume and thought I should be getting it soon. Will quit looking for it just yet.

Christus Cowboy
03-20-2009, 15:10
Hey Trip... thanks for the info! I really enjoyed the first volume and am looking forward to the second volume.

FritztheCat
05-31-2009, 21:59
Last I heard, the second book was delayed due to something about the cover art. It was supposed to be out at the end of April. Now that it is the end of May, anyone hear anything on the second book?

trippclark
05-31-2009, 23:34
Last I heard, the second book was delayed due to something about the cover art. It was supposed to be out at the end of April. Now that it is the end of May, anyone hear anything on the second book?

Yep, I received an e-mail from Baro (Larry) on May 20 (11 days ago). I would assume that the same e-mail was sent to all who had ordered book two and for whom he had an e-mail address, but that part is a guess on my part. Here is the e-mail text:

Hello friends,

I know you have all been patiently awaiting the sequel to Through Hiker’s Eyes, and while I wish I could say it’s ready, I can say it’s in the final printing stage. The book cover that took 2 months too long is completed and I have attached a copy to prove it. At this stage with Book 1, it only took three more weeks. I hope this one will be so lucky.

In the meantime, if you are looking for something to read, I just returned from hiking the Dingle Way in Ireland and I’m in the process of uploading my story on www.trailjournals.com. It was supposed to be my Pinhoti Trail hike, but things got a bit turned around and I ended up in Europe. Just search out Baro at trail journals and click on Pinhoti Trail hike 2009.

As a first-time author I want to thank you for all your encouragement and I hope to have Katahdin Bound in your hands very soon.

Sincerely,

Larry “Baro” Alexander
Program Director
ChallengePoint
www.challengepoint.org

Based on this, I'm thinking that he'll mail out book 2 in about two weeks. I hope so. I really enjoyed book 1 and am anxious to continue!

FritztheCat
06-01-2009, 21:49
Thanks for the info! I got an email at the end of March but haven't seen anything since. (I wonder if my spam filter caught it and I missed it). Looking forward to reading the second installment. Thanks again!

Lyle
06-24-2009, 15:51
I received my copy of Part Two today. Looking forward to reading it, Part One was great!

trippclark
06-24-2009, 23:27
I received my copy of Part Two today. Looking forward to reading it, Part One was great!

Got mine today too. Ditto on the book. Can't wait to get into it.

Dogwood
06-24-2009, 23:38
As with most journals which seek to highlight not just the journey but the trail community met along the way.....

Meeting people, experiencing towns, deeply soaking in the view, etc is an integral part of the thru-hiking experience that some miss....

I've heard other thru-hikers, many triple crowners, say it before and I'll repeat it again here: THRU-HIKING ISN'T JUST ABOUT HIKING.

FritztheCat
06-25-2009, 07:57
Got my copy last night. Sweet!

brooklynkayak
07-08-2009, 15:40
I'm just about finished reading book 2. A fun read.

Christus Cowboy
07-08-2009, 16:00
Anyone out there read this new book yet?

http://tinyurl.com/6jepf8

Opinions?

Actually there are two volumes, I read the first volume and really enjoyed it. I'm currently reading the second one. Some have raised concerns about the price of the books but when you consider the profits are going to a worthy organization (Challengepoint) it wasn't a big deal to me... I highly recommend it... its a good read

trippclark
07-08-2009, 16:45
Actually there are two volumes, I read the first volume and really enjoyed it. I'm currently reading the second one. Some have raised concerns about the price of the books but when you consider the profits are going to a worthy organization (Challengepoint) it wasn't a big deal to me... I highly recommend it... its a good read

Same for me on all counts. I finished book one and am about a quarter of the way through book 2. I have thoroughly enjoyed both and highly recommend. These are large books . . . about 500 pages each . . . so 2 for $35 is not so far out of line with similar length books, plus they support Baro's work with ChallengePoint. It's all good!