PDA

View Full Version : Winter boots anybody?

ATX-Hiker
12-09-2008, 13:33
I'm leaving NOBO late Feb. I've started to questions weather my salomon trail runner will keep my feet warm enough while hiking, especially if I end up sloshing though snow. I saw these online.

http://www.altrec.com/salomon/mens-b52-ts-gtx-snow-boot

Does anybody starting early use boots, specifically winter boots, instead of just their trail runners?

Are these over kill?

Alligator
12-09-2008, 13:39
I have a pair of those and I like them a lot. They'd very likely be overkill by March IMO, they are insulated boots.

I haven't used them in GA in Feb. although I'm pretty certain they'd be comfy.

If you are worried about snow, a pair of gaiters would be useful and cheaper.

Solemates left that time of year, maybe PM him for some advice.

take-a-knee
12-09-2008, 15:31
Goretex socks and whatever you are using now. Just be sure you have room for the socks. You don't need insulation on your feet while you are hiking, only when you stop.

taildragger
12-09-2008, 15:58
Goretex socks and whatever you are using now. Just be sure you have room for the socks. You don't need insulation on your feet while you are hiking, only when you stop.

Agreed, I've worn seal skins and trail runners while postholing in AZ, my feet were still roasty by the time we were done with that day.

Gaitors may not be bad since they will help trap some warmth on your legs, and if you do get snow, they could be nice, other than that, I don't think that there'd be a real need for them on a NOBO

Alligator
12-09-2008, 16:42
Sealskinz or Gore Tex socks are probably better, but it depends on whether the Trail runners are Gore Tex or not.

I've gotten cold feet though while hiking before. It depends on the conditions. I'm not at all recommending that the OP needs insulated boots, but in the winter insulated boots can be quite useful.

ATX-Hiker
12-09-2008, 16:45
They're Gore Tex Salomon XA Comp's. Gore Tex socks might be a little redundant, I'm thinking either the sealskins or neoprene socks. What exactly are sealskins, are they neoprene?

taildragger
12-09-2008, 16:58
They're Gore Tex Salomon XA Comp's. Gore Tex socks might be a little redundant, I'm thinking either the sealskins or neoprene socks. What exactly are sealskins, are they neoprene?

If the shoes are goretex and you're worried about wetness, I'd just wear some thick wool socks and a pair of gators. The sealskinz I wear with non-waterproof shoes, so gaiters won't do all the work.