PDA

View Full Version : Hammock Setup inside a Jeep Wrangler

Chance09
12-09-2008, 16:36
For some reason this thought got stuck inside my head this morning and i can't seem to get it out :-?. I think it would be so cool to see a hammock setup inside jeep wrangler on the frame from one corner to the other. I just went and looked at mine and I don't think it's long enough. I think the extended cab or 4 door will have to do.

Anyone up for trying it out lol? I'd love to see a picture of it. It would take the meaning of "Car Camping" to a whole new level.:D

Stryder
12-09-2008, 17:28
I am pretty sure someone over at hammockforums.net has dones this. Cant remember who though...Maybe Neo.

Shadowmoss
12-09-2008, 17:42
It was Just Jeff. I tried it after he posted his pictures over there, and mine isn't long enough. At least I wasn't going to try any more till the weather is such that I already have the top down. I'm several inches shorter than Jeff, so it might be my inability to follow his directions rather than lack of room.

I'll try to find the link if he doesn't show up here to post it himself.

edited to add:
http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGearJeepHammock.html

RITBlake
12-09-2008, 17:46
Gotta see this!

BumpJumper
12-09-2008, 18:27
I am dying to see this...:D

mudhead
12-09-2008, 18:30
Did you search the Gallery?

Just Jeff
12-09-2008, 19:25
Here's one with my son in there...a couple more on the page Shadowmoss linked to. This is an '02 TJ Wrangler, but I bet it would work better on the new Unlimited.

BumpJumper
12-09-2008, 20:33
Thats a riot. Is he a small boy?

RITBlake
12-09-2008, 20:54
I like your side steps, I'm ordering a set to install over Xmas break

Just Jeff
12-10-2008, 10:57
He was then, but I fit in there too. It's not huge but there was enough room that I could have slept overnight in there. Just had to wrap the hammock fabric around the back bar rather than just the cord...opened up the hammock enough that I didn't get shoulder squeeze.

Angrysparrow at HF was concerned about stressing the roll cage diagonally like that b/c the sport bars that bolt to the windshield weren't designed to handle that stress. I didn't notice any undue stress but it's certainly something to look for if you're considering this.

Those are OR-FAB bars. They make bumpers too but I stuck with the stock ones.