PDA

View Full Version : AT hiker2be ?

johnnybgood
12-09-2008, 22:54
I've been contemplating how I can financially afford to ever do this while my body is still being somewhat kind to me. I would need to acquire a great sum of money to replace a temporary loss in wages plus also have roughly 3-5 k to use for food ,necessities,hostels,etc. Also I don't have everything I need for a 5 month hike by a l o n g shot. A daughter in college , a mortgage, uncertain economic times - how does anyone plan for and overcome this? Life as we all know is fragile and conditional and not guaranteed another day. Thanks for any advice....and reading my rambling rant.

Slo-go'en
12-09-2008, 23:17
Well, its too late for you now unless you hit the lottery or a rich relative bequeaths a large sum of money to you. Or you can start paying off your debt and saving every spare penny you can find until you have enough. Start collecting gear slowly looking for the best bargins in closeouts and used stuff.

Personally, I get by by not having ever been married, have no kids, live like a pauper so I have no debt, have low overhead and put all my money into the bank.

snowhoe
12-09-2008, 23:43
Dude it would be nice to do the whole trail at one time, but if you cant there is nothing wrong doing section hikes. Dont let anyone in here tell you different.

Monkeywrench
12-10-2008, 08:23
A daughter in college , a mortgage, uncertain economic times - how does anyone plan for and overcome this? Life as we all know is fragile and conditional and not guaranteed another day. Thanks for any advice....and reading my rambling rant.

You could plan for it the same way you planned for college, that mortgage, and all the other things that matter to you. If it is really a priority, then start arranging your life in such a way to make it happen.

Me, I waited until I no longer have a mortgage and my daughter is off on her own, and we are simply going to live without my income for the time I'm gone.

daddytwosticks
12-10-2008, 08:44
Johnnybgood...I'm in the same boat as you. I just enjoy section hiking. I try to do everything to remain in good health and look foward to long distance hiking during retirement. :)

Pickleodeon
12-10-2008, 09:46
I use keep the change from Bank of America and it rounds up to the next dollar from my checking account and transfers it to my savings account at the end of the month. When I pump gas, I put it on my check card and I'll pump to like $20.02 and then that extra 98 cents goes to my savings account. It does add up, I save like 5 bucks a month without even thinking about it, I just use my check card and then dont touch that money that goes to my savings. (you're actually spending $21 total out of your checking account, but the 98 cents is going into the savings account)

Also, when I use cash I break my dollar bills and save all that change, it does add up to a decent amount over time. At the end of the week I take all the change out of my wallet and put it in a jar and don't touch it. Make those small savings into your "trail fund", it doesnt seem like much, but it will add up. When you're at the store if you see something you really really want, but dont absolutely need, take the money you would've spent on it and throw it in that change jar. In a week you probably won't even remember that you wanted that item at the store.

It takes some determination but it can be done. Also, I ate a lot of those big cheap bags of cereal in college to save money. :)

beerandpizza
12-10-2008, 14:54
get out of debt and have the daughter pay for school herself. if you have a payment on it, then it goes. except maybe the house. you have to decide what is important in life and make it happen

WILLIAM HAYES
12-10-2008, 14:58
There are always financial obligations but you only have one life if you want it to happen it will don't let finances dictate your dreams

Tilly
12-10-2008, 15:14
Just because you can't thru right now doesn't mean you can't get out once a month-or whatever you have time/flexibility on-for short backpacking trips or whatever else you're into. The AT isn't the be all end all of everything, an all or nothing type deal. Save some money, do what you can now, and enjoy yourself.

buckwheat
12-10-2008, 16:23
John,

Some of your assumptions might not reflect reality. I'd start to question them. If you change some of the underlying assumptions about what you need to hike the AT, then maybe you could pull it off.

Assumption 1: You need to be in excellent physical condition.
Reality 1: Have you looked at the photos of the people who hike the AT (no offense meant)? The reality appears to be that you don't really have to be in excellent physical condition. The trail will condition you as you hike it, so you shouldn't assume that you're running out of time. Lots of people show up at Springer with 60 pound packs and 30 pound asses. By the time they hit the first resupply, they've usually lost some of both.

Assumption 2: You need $3,000 to $5,000 to hike the AT.
Reality 2: You don't need anywhere near that kind of money to do the hike. If you want to do the hike in style ... such as staying in every hostel you pass, picking up the tab at the bar, eating steak on the trail, ensuring your butler places a chocolate mint on your sleeping bag pillow each night ... well then, maybe you need that kind of cash, but the hike can be done for slightly more money than it would cost you to live any other way. You still have to pay to eat, whether you're hiking a trail or not is what I mean.

Assumption 3: You need to replace the lost income for 5 months.
Reality 3: Do you have savings? Do you have a 401k you can borrow from? Does your wife work? A no-interest credit line you could tap? If you get fired, you're going to probably collect unemployment for a minimum of 6 months and that should at least cover your mortgage for 6 months. You will have to finagle the filing each week by having a friend or family maybe do it (just a thought.) The reality is that we each of us decide what's important to us in our lives, and then that's the life we build around ourselves. I guarantee you that, once you really commit to hiking the AT, you'll find ways to overcome the obstacles. Think if them as the first mountain you must scale.

Assumption 4: You need lots of gear to do a thru-hike.
Reality 4: The opposite is the case. The less gear you have, the better. A tarp-tent, decent sleeping bag, a coke-can stove, a stick, a canteen and enough oatmeal to get you to the next town is really all that's required. Everything else is a luxury item. The reality is that your gear will not get you anywhere. What gets you to Kathadin is what John Wayne had: True Grit.

You have to ask yourself John: "Am I the kind of guy who dreams about doing things, or am I the kind of guy who figures out how to do things."

To get your 2,000 mile patch you have to hike 2,000 miles, either in sections, or in one go. Determine that you want that patch, and you'll be surprised how things fall into place for you.

Like trail magic.

Jack Tarlin
12-10-2008, 20:25
Damn, Buckwheat, you seem to be quite the authority on gear, financing, food, etc.

So all you need to get from town to town is oatmeal, eh?

Geesh, sure wish someone had told me that around 14 years ago, think what I'd have saved on grocery costs!

When did you thru-hike by the way? :rolleyes:

No offense, but telling people what "reflects reality" in re. to thru-hiking when one hasn't done it yet is more than a little presumptuous.

Blissful
12-10-2008, 20:52
You can always section hike too.
But the main thing is to save money for it. Put money away in a special account. If there are opportunities to make some extra, put that away. And find gear online. Look for deals. Hit yard sales, thrift shops, etc. You'd be surprised what you find to outfit yourself. I try never pay full price for any of my gear (if I can help it), except some gear my hubby got me for gifts. :)

johnnybgood
12-10-2008, 21:42
Good to hear from so many AT enthusiasts. I been lurking on this board for awhile reading everyones opinion on planning a thru hike and thats where my est. cost of 3-5 k came from. So if oatmeal,trailmix and energy bars is all I needed then there's no reason to carry a stove ? No matter what Jack thinks Buckwheat I have your back. But seriously give me a absolute must buy gear ...I have sleeping bag ,tent(5.5 lbs-too heavy?),backpack(2700cu) new pair of hiking mid ankle boots and air in my lungs. For the record Jack ,I'm not at all presumptuous - why else would I be here seeking advice from those who have a wealth of knowledge.

4eyedbuzzard
12-10-2008, 22:01
I've been contemplating how I can financially afford to ever do this while my body is still being somewhat kind to me. I would need to acquire a great sum of money to replace a temporary loss in wages plus also have roughly 3-5 k to use for food ,necessities,hostels,etc. Also I don't have everything I need for a 5 month hike by a l o n g shot. A daughter in college , a mortgage, uncertain economic times - how does anyone plan for and overcome this? Life as we all know is fragile and conditional and not guaranteed another day. Thanks for any advice....and reading my rambling rant.

The grass is always greener...

Loss of income, financial obligations, raising a family, and time away from your spouse if you're married are very real considerations. If it makes you feel any better, most people in their working/family years can't take a 5 to 6 month vacation to go hiking. For these reasons, most(but not all) thru-hikers are predominantly either young pre-career, retired, or "unsettled"/in a life transition for these very reasons. Granted some people are rather obsessed with hiking and make many life sacrifices to be able to hike whenever and wherever they like. But they are a very small minority. For most of us, hiking just isn't the most important thing in our lives.

Just don't fall into the mindset that your family and/or real world obligations are "holding you back" from thru-hiking. For the vast majority of hikers, family, home, and career are much more important than hiking a trail from GA to ME. Hiking is recreation, it's playtime, a vacation--and not nearly as important as the rest of your life. If you have to wait until retirement to attempt a thru-hike, so be it. Just remember to keep it all in perspective;)

johnnybgood
12-10-2008, 22:22
My bad ...Oatmeal requires water, presumably warm or hot H20.

Jack Tarlin
12-11-2008, 15:00
John:

My "presumptuous" comment wasn't directed at you, but at Buckwheat.

Nobody gets from Georgia to Maine on oatmeal, trail mix, and energy bars, and anyone who tells you otherwise is giving you bad, and obviously uninformed advice.

ofthearth
12-11-2008, 15:24
John:

My "presumptuous" comment wasn't directed at you, but at Buckwheat.

Nobody gets from Georgia to Maine on oatmeal, trail mix, and energy bars, and anyone who tells you otherwise is giving you bad, and obviously uninformed advice.

What Jack says :rolleyes: . I think some people do it without stoves/cooking and some might have done it " on oatmeal, trail mix, and energy bars " but geezze why/how. If you can make it to the RUCK it is probably the best place to meet people who have "done it", ask questions, see gear, etc.
Good luck!

Southern Ruck 2009
An Appalachian Trail Get-Together

http://www.soruck.net/image002.jpg

January 16, 17 & 18
http://www.soruck.net/

Lilred
12-12-2008, 13:17

I'm in the same boat. My family doctor was dead serious about writing me a prescription to thru hike the AT for my cholesterol. He's a hiker. My principal said the board would honor the medical leave and my job would be waiting for me when I get back. I have all the gear I need. What I don't have is the money from lost wages and the money to thru hike, around 17,000 I figure I'll need. Plus kids in college, a mortgage, etc.

I get out and section hike the trail until a thru hike is more feasible. Section hiking isn't easy, but it's better than nothin.

Blissful
12-12-2008, 20:26
I'm in the same boat. My family doctor was dead serious about writing me a prescription to thru hike the AT for my cholesterol. He's a hiker. My principal said the board would honor the medical leave and my job would be waiting for me when I get back.

Now this is a really interesting concept. Thanks for bringng it up.

johnnybgood
12-12-2008, 23:03
May I get your doctor to call my doctor? I'm been taking Lipitor for twelve years and all I really needed for my doctor to tell me was to TAKE A HIKE".

Lilred
12-13-2008, 10:37
It just came up as a joke. We were talking about hiking and I just asked, figuring he'd laugh and say no. But to my surprise he didn't......Now if I'd only win the lottery....

Blissful
12-13-2008, 12:43
It just came up as a joke. We were talking about hiking and I just asked, figuring he'd laugh and say no. But to my surprise he didn't......Now if I'd only win the lottery....

Yep, you never know unless you ask. cool

I'm gonna get a prescription like that for my hubby so he can take off the plannned two months in 2011.