PDA

View Full Version : Please pray for our beagle

Blissful
12-09-2008, 23:56
Please pray for our beagle dog (she's 10). She is very ill with a severe herniated disk, can't walk, lethargic, severe pain. We took her to the vet today but she seems much worse tonight then when we brought her in. Can't walk, can't pee. This is so bad I can’t keep from crying.

Thanks so much

emerald
12-10-2008, 00:21
Sorry to hear your dog is not well.

The Mechanical Man
12-10-2008, 00:37
It's sad to see a loved pet get old, keep your chin up.

berninbush
12-10-2008, 00:52
*hug* I know how hard these choices are, and how hard it is to see them suffer. You will be in my prayers.

Blissful
12-10-2008, 08:27
Thanks for your thoughts - our beagle is somewhat better today, took some food and was able to stand. Seeing her like that though reminded me of our other dog who then died in his sleep - so it was a tough night last night. Thanks.

Marta
12-10-2008, 08:28
My thoughts are with you and your family.

BackTrack1
12-10-2008, 08:30
you really need to think about the pain the dog is in, dont keep him alive for your own sake , if he is in pain, maybe its time for you to put him to sleep, im not trying to be mean, but if the dog is in pain and probably wont recover you should do the right thing,
ill pray for you and your dog
good luck

warraghiyagey
12-10-2008, 08:37
Hopin your little friend has a comfier day. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/fc/dog.gif (http://www.freesmileys.org)

dradius
12-10-2008, 09:19
beagles are the best dogs on earth. i hope the little guy pulls through.

sheepdog
12-10-2008, 09:41
Sorry to hear about your dog. I hope he recovers. Puppies are fun, but an old dog really is a joy.

Wonder
12-10-2008, 10:13
I"m so sorry your dog is sick!

ed bell
12-10-2008, 10:33
Sorry about your dog, Blissful. Keep positive.

JERMM
12-10-2008, 11:07
I'm sorry to hear about your friend, give the little fellow a pat on the head for me and I hope he fells better

yappy
12-10-2008, 11:48
Ahhh Blissful, I am in your shoes too. tears are a lonely friend of mine. We both.. you and I.. are on the other side of the awesome journey. I am going to keep lulu company on hers' just like she has on mine. I hope your dog gets better and i WISH that he or she could have remained 2 forever. I know, for me, that my life will be very different without Lulu. I don't think I will do very well without her for awhile.

budforester
12-10-2008, 12:44
Blissful, is it Lady (I found her in your gallery)? Giver her a pat and wish her well from me, too.

cowboy nichols
12-10-2008, 13:51
Our prayers are with you, Fancy, Max and me.

Frau
12-10-2008, 15:17
Blissful,

We had a dog catastrophe here on 11/25 and I feared I would lose my 9 y.o. Rottie. She ended up at the vet's on IVs, had to have pain shots for two days. She ended up pulling through, but I had envisioned having to make the AWFUL decision. I hope your baby is still on the mend. Has she had the bad disc for a long time?

A warning to all dog folk--do NOT thaw all the leftovers that were in the freezer and feed them to your dogs at once. Nessmuk thought he was doing me and the dogs a favor by doing this, while he was waiting for delivery of the new refrigerator. All three foundered almost like a horse and were VERY sick. The boys were recovered by the next morning but the Rottie bloated up with gas and nothing would move either direction. I was so lucky she did not have gastric torsion.

Nessmuk no longer refers to the dogs as billy goats. The vet bill was as much at the new Amana.

Prayers for your beagle,

Frau

Blissful
12-10-2008, 16:20
you really need to think about the pain the dog is in, dont keep him alive for your own sake , if he is in pain, maybe its time for you to put him to sleep, im not trying to be mean, but if the dog is in pain and probably wont recover you should do the right thing,
ill pray for you and your dog
good luck

We are hopefully in that recovery period right now - doggie bed rest for a month since this disk situation was newly diagnosed yesterday, and she is on pain meds. But I know too that we might eventually have to face different options, but right now we're taking it one day at a time with what the vet prescribed.

Blissful
12-10-2008, 16:24
Blissful, is it Lady (I found her in your gallery)? Giver her a pat and wish her well from me, too.

Yes. And she visited us at Wildcat shelter in '07. Glad she shared in the AT with us, if but for a few miles. She won't be doing much walking the streets and trails anymore, I fear, and something she just loves.

Plodderman
12-10-2008, 16:34
Raised Beagles, great dogs and hope your dog improves.

Tinker
12-10-2008, 16:48
You and your dog have my prayers. I've been where you are. My beloved beagle, Lady (same name!), died in my arms when I was 15 years old. She used to follow me everywhere. Wonderful dogs. I haven't been able to have dogs anywhere I've lived since I moved away from home. I love everyone else's dog instead.

SawnieRobertson
12-10-2008, 18:24
Blissful, there is one thing I know. No ain reliever nor any antibiotic nor anything else you can give your dog to heal her works as well as the least costly thing: your sitting, stroking her, and talking to her, telling her all about her life, what she means to you, how important it is that she get well. She will get it, and you will have a happy girl, soaking it all in.--Kinnickinic

CrumbSnatcher
12-10-2008, 18:47
i hope your old girl is feeling better today.

Blissful
12-10-2008, 21:02
Blissful, there is one thing I know. No ain reliever nor any antibiotic nor anything else you can give your dog to heal her works as well as the least costly thing: your sitting, stroking her, and talking to her, telling her all about her life, what she means to you, how important it is that she get well. She will get it, and you will have a happy girl, soaking it all in.--Kinnickinic

I just love this, thanks.

And thanks so much to everyone for your thoughts and wishes. They meant a great deal....

Mercy
12-10-2008, 22:44
Just read about your girl. Hope she's doing better this evening. Give her a scratch behind the ears.... and put her a step so she can get into her favorite sleeping spot without jumping!

Thinking of all of you.

Cookerhiker
12-11-2008, 09:28
So sorry; I hope she recovers and continues to bring you joy. The playfulness and the unconditional love dogs bring are priceless and downright therapeutic.

Blissful
12-12-2008, 10:43
Taking Lady back to the vet this AM - she has been vomitng the last two days and is dripping saliva everywhere (she did eat fine this AM thogh). I hope it's only an allergy to the meds they gave her.

Mercy
12-12-2008, 11:00
Hope all goes well today.

corialice81
12-12-2008, 11:14
Taking Lady back to the vet this AM - she has been vomitng the last two days and is dripping saliva everywhere (she did eat fine this AM thogh). I hope it's only an allergy to the meds they gave her.

You and your family, especially little lady, are in my thoughts and prayers.

SawnieRobertson
12-12-2008, 11:28
Hopefully it is her meds. She probably will need to have some counter-hydration stuff too. I'll bet that the next 24 hours will produce a much happier girl.--Kinnickinic

atsent
12-12-2008, 11:38
Beagles are such sweet dogs! Best wishes for a complete recovery.

Frau
12-12-2008, 12:00
\
refghje

Frau
12-12-2008, 12:02
:eek:
Sorry, I attempted to clean my keyboard and you can see the result!

Blissful, Do keep us updated on the pup's status!

Frau

Blissful
12-12-2008, 16:04
Well, went to the vet. At first he thought it was the meds and put her on anti nausea med. Then he came back and said she had a loud heart murmur in the mitral valve and was concerned it might have led to fluid build up. So they did a chest x ray to find she has beginnings of congestive heart failure, not too bad, but she is on a pill now for that daily the rest of her life. And also, he found her trachea very swollen, so she is on pills for that. And he decided he still wants her to take the other 2 meds - the anti inflammatory for her back and the antibiotic. So more pills (five containers of them in all) and she's not happy about taking them.

aaroniguana
12-12-2008, 16:41
I hide my dogs pills in home made mini-meatballs.

hawkeye
12-12-2008, 17:10
Give her a pet from me,hope she is doing well.

berninbush
12-12-2008, 17:34
Peanut butter is also good for hiding pills. I used to let my dog lick it off a plastic spoon. It works until they learn to lick all the peanut butter off and spit the pill out....

adventurousmtnlvr
12-12-2008, 17:36
something similar happened to mine so I DO know exactly how you feel. My prayers are with you, your family and especially your beloved dog .. poor thing in pain ... I really DO understand that ... my dog was my only child so blessings to all

Blissful
12-13-2008, 12:39
Well, now pretty convinced Lady was not vomiting but is having a nasty cough / cold. Some type of bad of respiratory bug. But at least the vet did also discover the heart condition and has her on medicine for it, so that's good.
Plugged in the vaporizer today for her.

berninbush
12-13-2008, 13:52
If her trachea is swollen and she has fluid buildup in her chest, it's no wonder she is coughing. Sounds like a prime situation for pneumonia. Hopefully the antibiotic and vaporizer will help prevent that.

Hope she feels better soon.

Blissful
12-13-2008, 22:03
Took Lady back to the vet for emergency care as she was vomitng so much sputum and gurgling it was getting worse - got an IV and meds via injection as she was not keeping anything down.They want to admit her to the hospital on Monday for further evaluation and see if this is a developing pneumonia, some blockage in the esophagus (the vet thought he might have seen someting on x ray), etc. She is very sedated tonight, incontinent from the meds. Praying she is better very soon.

Frau
12-13-2008, 23:22
Poor baby! Continuing prayers.

Frau

Blissful
12-14-2008, 20:04
Lady had a fairly good day, none of the gurgling, but I can tell she is steadily weakening. We are in a wait and see mode with her tonight, just spending time with her. She is very weak, will not eat, hard time swallowing, panting a lot, incontinent of stool. But she still dragged herself over to sit next to me. Dogs are amazing and truly are man's best friend. She is a sweatheart.
To the vet again in the AM.

Mongoose2
12-14-2008, 20:07
Blissful

I also have a Beagle (Buddy) and we are wishing you the best...10 is still young!! Our prayers are with you!

Blissful
12-15-2008, 15:01
Lady is at the doggie hospital - does have aspiration pneumonia in one lung and possibly the other. Still don't know what caused it, but I am concerned it was some kind of allergic reaction from Tuesday's events when we took her in for simple back pain (see the first note). It's hard because I take my dog in for back pain and now almost a week later she has a heart murmur, pneumonia and can't swallow with a very swollen larynx. It is a different vet diagnosing her than the one on Tuesday (he had been doing the treatment since Friday and also found the heart murmur) but the same place. I just hope they get to the bottom of this and make her as well as she can be.

berninbush
12-15-2008, 16:16
Could it be some kind of systemic infection like meningitis that affected the back and then spread to other areas?

I don't even know if dogs get meningitis. Just can't help wondering if it's all connected somehow.

Mercy
12-15-2008, 16:22
Hope lady responds quickly at the vets.

Blissful
12-15-2008, 16:31
Could it be some kind of systemic infection like meningitis that affected the back and then spread to other areas?

I don't even know if dogs get meningitis. Just can't help wondering if it's all connected somehow.

Well you had the pneumonia right. I'll look on line.

berninbush
12-15-2008, 16:39
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/fulltext/119847805/PDFSTART

Check out this paper on canine meningitis. It's written in medi-speak but if you wade through some of that, it makes sense. Spinal pain and difficulty walking are primary symptoms. It mentions neural swelling and vomiting. I didn't see pneumonia but given that meningitis is an infection, that would make sense too. It specifically mentions beagles as being prone to it.

You might show this to your vet.