PDA

View Full Version : A new day dawns in hiking

buckwheat
12-10-2008, 07:15
Ladies and gentlemen ... it is safe to go back into the woods!

:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana: banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana

Hormel, arguably one of America's finest institutions, now packages Spam in single-serving 3oz. foil wrappers! They require no refrigeration, are much lighter than the canned variety and you only use what you need without having to worry about how you'll tote the rest of your Spam down the trail.

Hell, they don't even require cooking, even, since they're already pre-cooked, so when your .0024 ounce alcohol stove blows off Blood Mountain in a 50-mph gale force wind, you won't freaking starve to death.

22 mouth-watering grams of fat, fat, fat - 32% of the recommended daily intake, with 0g of unhealthy saturated fats, in each slice Spam is probably one of the best trail foods you could purchase. And each slice comes with 11 grams of protein thrown in at no additional charge.

At just 99 cents per slice, you sir and yes even you madam, have run out of reasons for delaying any longer your thru-hike based on mere financial expense. The fine folks at the Hormel factory have solved that pesky problem!

Let's hear directly from our friends at Hormel: "Spam singles are already cooked! This might blow your mind. For your own safety, stop thinking about how easy Spam singles will make your life. It's time to enjoy. Take another bite and throw your head back and think wonderful thoughts of faraway places while you chew, like a magical Spam Castle in the Sky and what a delicious and convenient visit you'd have."

Here! Here!

Ladies and gentlemen, it has been a long day coming. The darkness has been lifted. I say verily unto you, yea as you walk through the valley of the Delaware Water Gap, go forth with confidence knowing that whatever comes at you over the next hill, you have your Spam to help you over it.

You are now free to walk about the trail.

Egads
12-10-2008, 07:19
Gross

Lone Wolf
12-10-2008, 08:10
where you been? single serve spam has been out for a while now at wal-marts

The Old Fhart
12-10-2008, 08:11
Spam singles (http://www.spamsingles.com/content/) have been available since at least last February. Click on the link to the left for more info or go to Spam's highly interactive web site (http://www.spam.com/) and take a tour of the Spam Museum. Exploring this elaborate site could keep you busy for hours.;)

kayak karl
12-10-2008, 08:13
when i'm just thinking about Spam i like to play the Spamalot Game:banana
http://spamalot.spam.com/go/game/

Buy Spam and unlock the weapons like KILLER RABBIT:eek: or the HOLY HAND GRENADE :cool:

(http://spamalot.spam.com/go/game/)

daddytwosticks
12-10-2008, 08:35
Actually, they have been around here for several years...have not been that brave and tried them yet. :(

Homer&Marje
12-10-2008, 08:39
We don't receive Spam Quarterly magazines in Massachusetts.

warraghiyagey
12-10-2008, 08:40
I Don't Loyk Spahm!!!

mrc237
12-10-2008, 08:53
Ate one last summer. I think I'm still digesting it! :)

warraghiyagey
12-10-2008, 09:03
Or vice-versa

Homer&Marje
12-10-2008, 09:12
Or vice-versa

I think that was an episode of Twilight Zone. KILLER SPAM FROM BEYOND MUHAHAHAHAHAHA:dance

Wonder
12-10-2008, 10:15
Fry it up and mix it im Mac and Cheese.......that is great hiking food right there!!!

yaduck9
12-10-2008, 10:28

Mine did the hundred yard dash....

I think it set a record.:D

Plodderman
12-10-2008, 11:42
Not going there.

darkage
12-10-2008, 11:45
Spam/crabs/clams/seasoned beef/chicken AND tuna have all been pre-cooked non refridgerated for a long time now .... Someone doesn't get out much eh? =P

lonehiker
12-10-2008, 12:18
I found that they were not sold in most places that I re-supplied. Even most of the larger chain grocery stores did not carry them. But, when available, it was a nice change from tuna and chicken. I usually just ate them cold as I was waiting for my meal to cook.

Two Speed
12-10-2008, 12:31
The scary part is all this talk about single serving spam has me seriously considering trying that crap out. Gotta be something seriously wrong with me. :cool:

Yukon
12-10-2008, 12:33
Spam is awesome....

Bucky Katt
12-10-2008, 12:38

and yet I still havent been able to find them here in Roanoke...

Two Speed
12-10-2008, 12:40
Spam is awesome.... . . . if you're taste impaired. Nonetheless, prolly will give it a shot and see if I can make something palatable out of it.

Working from a tip a more experience hiker gave me one time: don't be to friggin' picky. If you can get top-of-the-line goodies go for it. If not eat what's available.

His rant went along the lines that starving to death on the AT was comparable to starving to death in the lobby of a 7-Eleven. No, the $0.99 hot dogs in 7-Eleven ain't haute cuisine, but they'll keep ya going until you can find something better.

Ender
12-10-2008, 12:44
I eat Spam normally, so this is only good news to me. I've never seen them in stores though, so maybe it's not carried around me, which is too bad.

Yukon
12-10-2008, 12:44
. . . if you're taste impaired. Nonetheless, prolly will give it a shot and see if I can make something palatable out of it.

Working from a tip a more experience hiker gave me one time: don't be to friggin' picky. If you can get top-of-the-line goodies go for it. If not eat what's available.

His rant went along the lines that starving to death on the AT was comparable to starving to death in the lobby of a 7-Eleven. No, the $0.99 hot dogs in 7-Eleven ain't haute cuisine, but they'll keep ya going until you can find something better.

I'm not taste impaired...thanks. I can like spam if I want to...

Two Speed
12-10-2008, 12:45
I'm not taste impaired...thanks. I can like spam if I want to...Go right ahead and like spam if you want to. I can think you're taste impaired if I want to. It's all good.

Yukon
12-10-2008, 12:48
Go right ahead and like spam if you want to. I can think you're taste impaired if I want to. It's all good.

True...it's a free country...

Two Speed
12-10-2008, 12:51
Now, I got a better question: following Wonder's lead, how would you make spam into something that you'd want to eat?

Recipes?

Who knows? I might come around. Not giving real good odds on that, but it could happen.

taildragger
12-10-2008, 12:56
Fry it up and mix it im Mac and Cheese.......that is great hiking food right there!!!

Or fried with a single serving slice of kraft cheese, on top of old tortilla bread, I might go make me one right now...

StarLyte
12-10-2008, 13:00
Well I've never seen it in the stores.

I remember eating it when I was kid, my dad would fry it up and serve it on biscuits. Oh yeah. It was delicious.

Now I don't eat it because everything I eat deposits in the wrong places.

So I envy you SPAM lovers. If I could eat it I would.

But I won't touch scrapple-no way.

Mrs Baggins
12-10-2008, 13:04
I'd have to be somewhere between starvation and certain death to eat Spam but I think it's a great idea for those who do like it and don't want to carry a whole can of it.

Now......I need to find Haggis in a foil pouch....mmmmmmmm!

Hooch
12-10-2008, 13:08

http://www.kilts-n-stuff.com/Food_Products/haggis_hardcore.gif
Close enough?

Personally, I don't like Spam. It just ain't my thing, but I hold no ill will against anyone who does enjoy it. Go forth, Spam and enjoy.

Spogatz
12-10-2008, 13:10
I like spam and spam, spam and eggs and spam, eggs and bacon and spam, spam and spam and eggs, bacon and spam, eggs and spam and bacon, ham and spam and eggs, spam and spam and spam, spam, spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam

mudhead
12-10-2008, 13:11
3/8" slice. Fried on med high until semi-crispy. Eat.

Option, place on piece of bread, fold bread. Eat while warm/hot.

If you don't like that, you have no taste buds.

JERMM
12-10-2008, 13:13
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE

leeki pole
12-10-2008, 13:16
Fried spam, like fried bologna, with cheese in a tortilla, is heaven. It may be a Southern thing but it is definitely, after a long day of hiking, nirvana.

Hooch
12-10-2008, 13:18
Classic! We really need to be able to imbed YouTube vids here.

JERMM
12-10-2008, 13:20

http://www.kilts-n-stuff.com/Food_Products/haggis_hardcore.gif
Close enough?

Okay, what is this stuff? Maybe I don't want to know :eek:

Hooch
12-10-2008, 13:22
Haggis (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haggis) is a traditional Scottish dish. I'm not particularly fond of it, but it's got a pretty good following.

mudhead
12-10-2008, 13:22
So much for my taste buds.

Mrs Baggins
12-10-2008, 13:23

I already buy this stuff in Brit grocery stores. Yummy! It's ground up sheep innards mixed with oats and spices. Rich, livery tasting goodness. Comes in beef as well. Eat it with "neeps and tatties" , boiled and mashed turnips and potatoes with butter. Heaven.

Two Speed
12-10-2008, 13:24
Okay, what is this stuff? Maybe I don't want to know :eek:Your first impulse is correct, you don't want to know.

Spam's nasty enough, but haggis? Ya gotta draw the line somewhere.

Hooch
12-10-2008, 13:26
Your first impulse is correct, you don't want to know.

Spam's nasty enough, but haggis? Ya gotta draw the line somewhere.Which is worse? Spam, haggis or scrapple? :eek: It's like picking the lesser of 3 evils.

Two Speed
12-10-2008, 13:29
Your first impulse is correct, you don't want to know.

Spam's nasty enough, but haggis? Ya gotta draw the line somewhere.
Which is worse? Spam, haggis or scrapple? :eek: It's like picking the lesser of 3 evils.Mmm hmm, Pretty much like arguing the precedence between a louse and a flea, but ya never know, you could be faced with that dilemma one day while trying to resupply at a convenience store, so let's keep the spam recipes coming.

Haggis? Don't think I've ever seen that in a convenience store.

Hooch
12-10-2008, 13:30
Haggis? Don't think I've ever seen that in a convenience store.And hopefully, we never will. :D

JERMM
12-10-2008, 13:31
I already buy this stuff in Brit grocery stores. Yummy! It's ground up sheep innards mixed with oats and spices. Rich, livery tasting goodness. Comes in beef as well. Eat it with "neeps and tatties" , boiled and mashed turnips and potatoes with butter. Heaven.

:datz sorry I asked, the stuff sounds absolutely VILE :eek:. I'm going back to lurking and not going to ask any more questions about stuff I don't already know about. And I think I'll skip lunch today too.

mudhead
12-10-2008, 13:32
It works in any manner that ham would work. You do want to use the gelatin slobbery stuff that comes out of the can with it. Thats the best part.

Much better warm than cold.

Two Speed
12-10-2008, 13:33
And hopefully, we never will. :D
:datz sorry I asked, the stuff sounds absolutely VILE :eek:. I'm going back to lurking and not going to ask any more questions about stuff I don't already know about. And I think I'll skip lunch today too.I dunno. Might become the next diet craze. :)

Hooch
12-10-2008, 13:38
I heard it stunts growth.

sarbar
12-10-2008, 13:38
You just need to make Spam-Tastic Lo Mein (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBvXv4mKw2g) :D

Ender
12-10-2008, 13:41
Which is worse? Spam, haggis or scrapple? :eek: It's like picking the lesser of 3 evils.

You just named three of my most favorite things. I'm hungry now.

Two Speed
12-10-2008, 13:42
You just named three of my most favorite things. I'm hungry now.Resupply must be a pain in the neck. :cool:

jlb2012
12-10-2008, 14:09
frankly I prefer a cold spam single over a cold pouch of chicken - easier to eat and closer to the size I want for the protein part of the evening meal plus it tastes fine to me right out of the package - squeeze and eat

fiddlehead
12-10-2008, 14:14

That was awesome. Thanks for the link.

Frau
12-10-2008, 14:58
Haggis and Spam I cannot defend, but Scrapple--I'll fight for it any day. When I was a child my pop would cook breakfast weekends. Scrapple was always special and we would fight over who got how much. It is comfort food for me.

I had thought about posting that now they need to come up with the 1 slice, pre-cooked scrapple, when I noticed someone else mentioned it. I'll do the happy dance if they invent convenience, 1-slip scrapple!

Now, how far to I have to go to try goetha? I regret not trying some years ago in Indiana. They don't sell it around here.

I DO agree with the statement about making do with the food that is available--included prepackaged pimento cheese sandwichs that are stale....

Frau

Marta
12-10-2008, 14:58
What's that stuff John Boy and Billy advertise? The stuff made of peckers and lips? The foods under discussion here made it come to mind...

Frau
12-10-2008, 15:06
Self-correction, that would be one SLICE scrapple and GOETTA. My German was shining thru there for a minute.

Frau

Two Speed
12-10-2008, 15:25
What's that stuff John Boy and Billy advertise? The stuff made of peckers and lips? The foods under discussion here made it come to mind...No, no, that's hot dogs. :eek:

sheepdog
12-10-2008, 15:41
You just need to make Spam-Tastic Lo Mein (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBvXv4mKw2g) :D

Looks good, Do you cater hikes??

darkage
12-10-2008, 17:12
Spam is best fried, or over a open flame .... gets rid of some of that "spam" taste people don't like ... spam COLD? .. now thats disgusting ... otherwise, its good stuff.

OldStormcrow
12-10-2008, 17:16
I'm a big Spam fan. It's a mode of commerce in some parts of the world. Time was, you could buy a 12 year old asian bride with a can of the stuff.....

le loupe
12-10-2008, 17:22
why does it smell like catfood when you open the package?

In Hawaii, they make something called Spam Musabi, which I find much less offensive.

http://ukumillion.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/spam-musubi-thumb.jpg

buckwheat
12-10-2008, 18:14
... how would you make spam into something that you'd want to eat? Recipes?

The good folks at the Hormel corporation have anticipated your concerns my friend and have helpfully supplied this recipe-er-ator:

http://www.spam.com/eatspam/recipes.aspx

While visiting the Spam Castle in the Sky, do check out the Spam-mobile. Even Batman is envious. And should you need hiking gear, there's even a Spam aluminum water bottle available in the gift shop:

http://www.spamgift.com/ProductDetail.aspx?Product={AC23DC96-7D79-4856-8578-0EE75BD17565}

Cheers,
Buckwheat

Homer&Marje
12-10-2008, 18:24
This isn't a very good picture. But what it is, or was, a 3 inch long piece of peperoni stick, sliced a 2 inch hole in the center, almost to the bottom. Stuffed it with cheese and skewered it over the fire for 6-7 minutes. Absolutely a backwooods godsend of a treat.

I imagine spam might be able to work with the same principles. Also we make fresh tortillas in the woods, good corn flour tortillas and we stuff those with pepperoni and cheese and set them over hot coals...(with tinfoil if you have it) and again...I believe spam could be substituted for the pepperoni.

RadioFreq
12-10-2008, 18:30

In Hawaii, they make something called Spam Musabi, which I find much less offensive.

http://ukumillion.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2007/09/spam-musubi-thumb.jpg

Not sure how I feel about Span wrapped in duct tape. :eek:

Dances with Mice
12-10-2008, 18:32
Long, long ago in a place far, far away....

I had a group of teen-aged boys I took backpacking. Venturing program in Scouting. Anyway, you'd think teen boys will eat anything that doesn't move but these kids were pretty picky the first night out. 2nd or 3rd night, no problem but that first night there was always leftovers after supper. I'd have them make a paella, however it's spelled, out of rice and foiled seafood and wind trying to eat it all myself. Ramen? No go. Mac'n'cheese? They'd each take a little dab.

Then I made spam with mac'n'cheese. Canned spam in those days, rightout of the can gelatin and all. Chunked it up and boiled it with the noodles, added the cheese powder with some powdered milk and it looked horrid. But every bite got eaten and the pot was scraped clean. Did it again the next trip and got the same results. It became my first night go-to meal.

So, Father Two, that's your answer. Cut the spam into mac'n'cheese. Then give it to Barney.

Two Speed
12-10-2008, 19:06
The dog's taken care of but I get to suck wind? Thanks a pant load. :cool:

Skidsteer
12-10-2008, 19:25
What's that stuff John Boy and Billy advertise? The stuff made of peckers and lips? The foods under discussion here made it come to mind...

Hargraves Potted Meats (chocked full of peckers and lips since 1937) (http://www.shopsnstores.com/jbbstore/product_info.php?products_id=60)

No, no, that's hot dogs. :eek:

As may be but you gotta stove made from a can of potted meat. :p

smokymtnsteve
12-10-2008, 19:30
hey skidsteer go delete yourself..you pecker:D

kayak karl
12-10-2008, 19:37
I like spam and spam, spam and eggs and spam, eggs and bacon and spam, spam and spam and eggs, bacon and spam, eggs and spam and bacon, ham and spam and eggs, spam and spam and spam, spam, spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam spam
do you have anyting with a less bacon in it?:D

chief
12-10-2008, 20:03
I'm a big Spam fan. It's a mode of commerce in some parts of the world. Time was, you could buy a 12 year old asian bride with a can of the stuff.....
Still married?

Skidsteer
12-10-2008, 20:19
hey skidsteer go delete yourself..you pecker:D

Response deleted.

Skidsteer
12-10-2008, 20:21
Response deleted.

Happy? :D

And I'll thank you to leave my typing skills out of this.

Ramble~On
12-10-2008, 20:23
:eek: Lurking no longer...a fine thread indeed.
I'll try it.....I'll try SPAM.
No green eggs though!

I have learned a great deal from this thread - again my time here on WB has proven to be worthwhile.

~ Now I know that there's a difference between pork and ham.
~ Now I can go forth into the wilds with no fear of starvation (providing I take some foil packed Spam along)
~ Now during those long uphills I can take my mind off the exertion and think of Monty Python skits.
~ Now I can change my trailname to Spam and spend lots of money in the Spam Store to outfit myself in the latest Spam fashions.
~ Now I can look forward to the evening meal.
~ Now I can look forward to something to go with my coffee in the morning.
~ Now I can look forward to an energy boosting snack anytime of day!
~ I imagine that Spam could be rubbed on chaffing problem areas and provide instant relief.
~ Spam could be wrapped around a branch, ignited and used as a torch!
~ I can rub myself down in Spam and go swimming without getting wet!
~ I can put peices of Spam in my ears to avoid those obnoxious shelter snoring people!
~ I can mold spam into a Hacky Sack !
~ Spam could be used as sunblock, chapstick, toilet paper, a tent peg, to repair a hole in the rainfly, rolled flat and used as a rainfly, an umbrella, a frisbee, chopsticks, toothpaste, a blob of spam could become a pet to avoid loneliness. Wow! the possibilities are endless.
~ Spam has more uses than duct tape!
~ I'll bet Chuck Norris eats Spam !

Blissful
12-10-2008, 20:59

Yeah, we had it in '07 in our mail drops. I loved it, actually.

Blissful
12-10-2008, 21:00

LOL this is a scream. I should e-mail this to my hubby who loves sushi, growing up in Japan.

Ramble~On
12-10-2008, 21:37
There's no wasabi or ginger on the plate though...it's just not right!

sarbar
12-10-2008, 22:00
There's no wasabi or ginger on the plate though...it's just not right!
I am thinking ketchup and mustard would be more appropriate :rolleyes: :D

aaroniguana
12-10-2008, 22:20
Dijonaisse. Wasn't that on the periodic table of condiments?

kayak karl
12-10-2008, 22:34
:eek: Lurking no longer...a fine thread indeed.
No green eggs though!

I have learned a great deal from this thread - again my time here on WB has proven to be worthwhile.

~ Now I know that there's a difference between pork and ham.
~ Now I can go forth into the wilds with no fear of starvation (providing I take some foil packed Spam along)
~ Now during those long uphills I can take my mind off the exertion and think of Monty Python skits.
~ Now I can change my trailname to Spam and spend lots of money in the Spam Store to outfit myself in the latest Spam fashions.
~ Now I can look forward to the evening meal.
~ Now I can look forward to something to go with my coffee in the morning.
~ Now I can look forward to an energy boosting snack anytime of day!
~ I imagine that Spam could be rubbed on chaffing problem areas and provide instant relief.
~ Spam could be wrapped around a branch, ignited and used as a torch!
~ I can rub myself down in Spam and go swimming without getting wet!
~ I can put peices of Spam in my ears to avoid those obnoxious shelter snoring people!
~ I can mold spam into a Hacky Sack !
~ Spam could be used as sunblock, chapstick, toilet paper, a tent peg, to repair a hole in the rainfly, rolled flat and used as a rainfly, an umbrella, a frisbee, chopsticks, toothpaste, a blob of spam could become a pet to avoid loneliness. Wow! the possibilities are endless.
~ Spam has more uses than duct tape!
~ I'll bet Chuck Norris eats Spam !
missed one, on a rainy day in a shelter you can carve it. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IfjINevPyFQ

le loupe
12-10-2008, 22:39
LOL this is a scream. I should e-mail this to my hubby who loves sushi, growing up in Japan.

It's not that kind of sushi, no ginger/wasabi required. In fact, I used to find it at the grocery checkout, wrapped in cellophane, sort of like we might find a pack of gum.

It was delicious and primarily eaten for breakfast as I recall. The nori (seaweed wrap) was a perfect counterpoint.

I tried making it here, but it just wasn't the same...

le loupe
12-10-2008, 22:39
PS- Hawaii consumes more Spam per capita than any other state...

Lone Wolf
12-10-2008, 22:46

kayak karl
12-10-2008, 22:57
LW, we already watched that back on page 2, but who can forget this classic :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=clPYfaTvHT0

Hooch
12-10-2008, 23:25
There's no wasabi or ginger on the plate though...it's just not right!Let's be honest about this. Even if it were there do you really think it would help any? :D

Lellers
12-10-2008, 23:31
No Spam for me, thank you, but I'll take another serving of scrapple, please.

Bulldawg
12-10-2008, 23:36
Spam is best fried, or over a open flame .... gets rid of some of that "spam" taste people don't like ... spam COLD? .. now thats disgusting ... otherwise, its good stuff.

Funny story about cold Spam. Back last winter I was hiking the CBT with some guys. This one guy (Skids, FTS you know who it was) was really rushing everyone along. Well, me not trying to be confrontational and all decided to just go along with his rushing rather than have a confrontation in the middle of the woods. Anyway, I had planned on making myself a little fried spam in a tortilla for lunch, the single serving, foil packed kind. Well I started to get my stove out to cook my single serving and this guy tells me Spam is fine cold, that we really needed to get moving to make the campsite before dark, so I didn't have time to cook it. So, being the non-confrontational kind of guy I am, I just put the cold Spam in my tortilla. Nastiest damn thing I've ever eaten. I mean horrid. And this from a guy who will eat fried Spam and Mac & Cheese any night of the week if I have to. Cold Spam is worse than nothing at all!!!

mudhead
12-11-2008, 07:18
cold Spam in my tortilla. Nastiest damn thing I've ever eaten. I mean horrid. And this from a guy who will eat fried Spam and Mac & Cheese any night of the week if I have to. Cold Spam is worse than nothing at all!!!

You ever tried Treet?

Spam is pretty low on my list, but Treet is somewhere below raw eggs.

Homer&Marje
12-11-2008, 08:26
It's not that kind of sushi, no ginger/wasabi required. In fact, I used to find it at the grocery checkout, wrapped in cellophane, sort of like we might find a pack of gum.

It was delicious and primarily eaten for breakfast as I recall. The nori (seaweed wrap) was a perfect counterpoint.

I tried making it here, but it just wasn't the same...

Ginger and Wasabi would be traditional compliments to the dish, in the case of the Sushi Spam I'd say...chopped onions and chili on the side? Possibly mustard and relish?

PS- Hawaii consumes more Spam per capita than any other state...

It's an Island. They probably consume many more preserved products than we do simply because of availability. Spams in the indestructible aisle like twinkies and ramen noodles.

And Chuck Norris does not eat spam. Chuck Norris CREATES spam. Cans it himself after bodily functions. If you mix spinach with it the Popeye song WILL start playing in your head.

Two Speed
12-11-2008, 09:16
. . . This one guy (Skids, FTS you know who it was) was really rushing everyone along. . . Yeah, I think I do. Next time tell him to go screw himself. Life's too short to eat crappy food.

Bulldawg
12-11-2008, 10:30
Yeah, I think I do. Next time tell him to go screw himself. Life's too short to eat crappy food.

We won't have that conversation because I ain't hiking with the dude ever again. Issue resolved! 'nuff said!

Two Speed
12-11-2008, 10:36
We won't have that conversation because I ain't hiking with the dude ever again. Issue resolved! 'nuff said!No, no, wrong approach. Hike with the guy again, but make sure you've got the keys to the shuttle vehicle in YOUR pocket.

Then tell him to go screw himself. :)

JERMM
12-11-2008, 11:11
No, no, wrong approach. Hike with the guy again, but make sure you've got the keys to the shuttle vehicle in YOUR pocket. :)

this is a very good point and this is why I always drive and carry my keys. Cause I never know when I'm going to be around a buncha cold SPAM eating I'm in a hurry gotta get there before dark hikers.

Spogatz
12-11-2008, 11:50
[quote=SpiritWind;737917]:eek: Lurking no longer...a fine thread indeed.
No green eggs though!

quote]

As I sit here I can only imagine how it would feel to use spam as a sub for toilet paper......OOoooooohhhhh refreshing.....

brooklynkayak
12-18-2008, 11:22
I usually slice thin, boil ten minutes to reduce the sodium and then fry or grill until dark brown.
Chop intro small pieces and add to anything you'd add ham. Salad, mac-n-cheese, omelet, crackers, porridge, instant mash, stir fry rice, pasta, ....

It's better than any other MRE.

snaplok
12-18-2008, 21:26
Ladies and gentlemen ... it is safe to go back into the woods!

:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana: banana:banana:banana:banana:banana:banana

Hormel, arguably one of America's finest institutions, now packages Spam in single-serving 3oz. foil wrappers! They require no refrigeration, are much lighter than the canned variety and you only use what you need without having to worry about how you'll tote the rest of your Spam down the trail.

Wow. In all my years I never had the stuff. Now I have a slight reason to try it. :D
Hell, they don't even require cooking, even, since they're already pre-cooked, so when your .0024 ounce alcohol stove blows off Blood Mountain in a 50-mph gale force wind, you won't freaking starve to death.

22 mouth-watering grams of fat, fat, fat - 32% of the recommended daily intake, with 0g of unhealthy saturated fats, in each slice Spam is probably one of the best trail foods you could purchase. And each slice comes with 11 grams of protein thrown in at no additional charge.

At just 99 cents per slice, you sir and yes even you madam, have run out of reasons for delaying any longer your thru-hike based on mere financial expense. The fine folks at the Hormel factory have solved that pesky problem!

Let's hear directly from our friends at Hormel: "Spam singles are already cooked! This might blow your mind. For your own safety, stop thinking about how easy Spam singles will make your life. It's time to enjoy. Take another bite and throw your head back and think wonderful thoughts of faraway places while you chew, like a magical Spam Castle in the Sky and what a delicious and convenient visit you'd have."

Here! Here!

Ladies and gentlemen, it has been a long day coming. The darkness has been lifted. I say verily unto you, yea as you walk through the valley of the Delaware Water Gap, go forth with confidence knowing that whatever comes at you over the next hill, you have your Spam to help you over it.

You are now free to walk about the trail.

Wow. In all my years I never tried the stuff. Now I have a slight reason to. :D

atraildreamer
12-19-2008, 18:23
SPAM has a distinguished past and served honorably in WWII!

http://www.hormelfoods.com/brands/spam/

"With America’s entry into World War II, SPAM® luncheon meat was called into action overseas. With Allied forces fighting to liberate Europe, we provided 15 million cans of luncheon meat to troops every week. SPAM® luncheon meat became an essential item in soldiers’ diets, often serving as the last line of defense between battle-weary soldiers and starvation. Following the war, world leaders the likes of Dwight Eisenhower, Margaret Thatcher and Nikita Khrushchev all credited SPAM® luncheon meat for its role in the Allied victory."

If you want to see why SPAM was used so extensively, check out the following link:

http://www.qmfound.com/qmcpacific.htm

SPAM was easy to ship, needed no refrigeration, was in a convenient one pound size, and probably saved the lives of untold servicemen and civilians.

Yeah...there is an obligatory SPAM joke in every WWII movie that I can remember, after, when you are in a warzone and being shot at, you understandably would prefer to be home eating Mom's home cooking, but it did serve an essential purpose in feeding the troops, and many civilians.

Remember the airdrop scene in "Empire of the Sun"? The packages always contained SPAM, Hershey bars, etc.

Face it...we are spoiled by our extensive choice of food(s) in the good ol' USA. Buy it or not, but don't denigrate SPAM. They are approaching 1,000,000,000 cans of the stuff produced. They must be doing something right! :-?

Upcoming soon... to a forum near you... my defense of fruitcake! :eek:

(PS to Hormel: PM me for my address to send the complimentary cases of SPAM! ;):banana)

buckwheat
12-19-2008, 20:00
(PS to Hormel: PM me for my address to send the complimentary cases of SPAM! ;):banana)

Me too!

uscgretired
12-19-2008, 20:14
Has anyone ever had Solient Green? Google it up. They even made a movie about it. HO HO.

uscgretired
12-19-2008, 20:17
Sorry, it is soylent green.

daddytwosticks
12-19-2008, 20:38
Soylent green.....goood eatin'...has lots of body to it...

buckwheat
12-19-2008, 21:02

Could sure go for some Murrell's Chicken & Dumplin's right about now. 20-degrees and eight inches of global warming all over my driveway gotta be shoveled yet tonight.

atraildreamer
12-20-2008, 19:27

Det. Thorn (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000032/): It's SPAM. Soylent Green is made out of SPAM. They're making our food out of SPAM. You've gotta tell them. You've gotta tell them!

Hatcher (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0676349/): I promise, Tiger. I promise. I'll tell the exchange.

Det. Thorn (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000032/): You tell everybody. Listen to me, Hatcher. You've gotta tell them! Soylent Green is SPAM We've gotta stop them somehow! :banana

uscgretired
12-21-2008, 07:08
Now that is funny!

superman
12-21-2008, 08:38
I think I recall soylent green looking like crackers. Which is a good thing to put your sliced spam on. Unless you exclaim "This cracker smells like grandma!":D

kayak karl
12-21-2008, 19:50
and it's uses never end........
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6mk7m_generation-awesomes-spam-spec-comme_fun

Tinker
12-21-2008, 19:58
No Spam for me, thank you, but I'll take another serving of scrapple, please.
Well, they got the name half right at least! YUUUUUCK!:rolleyes:

Tinker
12-21-2008, 20:01
Ginger and Wasabi would be traditional compliments to the dish, in the case of the Sushi Spam I'd say...chopped onions and chili on the side? Possibly mustard and relish?

It's an Island. They probably consume many more preserved products than we do simply because of availability. Spams in the indestructible aisle like twinkies and ramen noodles.

And Chuck Norris does not eat spam. Chuck Norris CREATES spam. Cans it himself after bodily functions. If you mix spinach with it the Popeye song WILL start playing in your head.

LOL! WAIT! Maybe he's not KIDDING......YUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK!

Tinker
12-21-2008, 20:04
Wow. In all my years I never tried the stuff. Now I have a slight reason to. :D

We might have a case requiring intervention here. :eek:

Shadowmoss
12-22-2008, 09:50
I asked my Mom about Spam once when I was a kid and we were grocery shopping. She said that my Dad ate so much of it in WW2 that it was not allowed into the house. I didn't try it until I was an adult, and even now I stop and remember what she said when I see it in the store.

TD55
12-22-2008, 10:26

Turned on the news this morning. SPAM Musabi is now a big news story, seems the new guy coming to the White House likes the stuff.

kayak karl
12-22-2008, 19:17
I asked my Mom about Spam once when I was a kid and we were grocery shopping. She said that my Dad ate so much of it in WW2 that it was not allowed into the house. I didn't try it until I was an adult, and even now I stop and remember what she said when I see it in the store.
thats the same reason my Mom said we couldn't eat cream chip beef on toast. S.O.S :D

Nolan
12-23-2008, 05:15
spam can be okay with hot sauce, lots of hot sauce.

atraildreamer
12-27-2008, 13:43
Admittedly...some people can go too far with SPAM!

http://inourmix.blogspot.com/2008/04/spam-cupcakes.html

http://forums.contracostatimes.com/topic/spam

SPAM Cheesecake...

Bazooka's Easy Bowling Alley Cheez Cake! (http://forums.contracostatimes.com/topic/spam#comment-144155) BazookaJoe
http://forums.contracostatimes.com/sites/contracostatimes.com/files/pictures/picture-2234.jpg

Ingredients: (2) Round cans of Hormel SPAM and 1 jar Kraft Cheez Whiz; Prep time: 30.5 minutes; Calories: Approx 1,652 per serving.
Open round cans of SPAM using hot-dipped galvanized key attached on bottom of can or optional electric or manual can opener. Place one whole can of SPAM on decorative coffee cup saucer of your choice. Place other can of SPAM aside for later use.
Next, smear Cheez Whiz using butter knife or small spatula on top and sides of lower layer of SPAM on saucer (hint: Cheez Whiz can be heated in Microwave for easier spreading).
Next, take other whole SPAM you set aside earlier, and place it on top of bottom layer of SPAM. Spread Cheez Whiz over top and sides of top layer of SPAM in the same manner as bottom layer. Repeat process for each serving desired. Refrigerate for 30 minutes and serve as dessert with you favorite fresh roasted coffee or after dinner liquor such as Grand Marnier or Peach Schnapps!

:banana

Captain
12-27-2008, 13:47
you just have to make sure to squeeze out all the gelled fat from the packageand make sure that goes in your pot too or you might miss a gram or so of fat