PDA

View Full Version : Will it blow up?

ATX-Hiker
12-10-2008, 11:05
I'm starting NOBO in late February so I'm a little concerned about my fuel canister(s) getting too cold cook with. I was thinking if it came down to it, putting one of those "hot hands" one time use hand warmers under the canister to help heat it a bit (only when it's really cold).

Will the canister blow up? Or will the heating pad even help?

I think the packaging states they provide "135*? of warmth for up to six hours" that's not enough to turn my stove into a bomb I don't think.

Phreak
12-10-2008, 12:28
You have nothing to worry about. A hand warmer will not blow up your fuel canister.

I seriously doubt the hand warmer would be of any benefit to warming up your canister.

Franco
12-10-2008, 23:05
The "rule of thumb" is if you can keep your hand on the canister it's not too hot.
Lots of good info here:
http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/FAQ_StovesTech.htm#Hot (http://www.bushwalking.org.au/FAQ/FAQ_StovesTech.htm#Hot)
Franco

Manwich
12-10-2008, 23:08
A hand warmer will not blow up your canister... But it also probably wont effectively heat it up either.

You're better off wrapping it in a hat or something and putting it in your bag while you sleep.

Blissful
12-10-2008, 23:18
Snowpeak, I think, works the best in colder temps. MSR the worst.

Keep it in your sleeping bag at night also if you cook in the AM.

Save your handwarmers for yourself. They are nice in a sleeping bag on a frigid night

Jim Adams
12-10-2008, 23:25
Sleep with it in your bag. Get a 2" thick piece of closed cell foam 6" x 6".
Cut a hole in the center the exact diameter of your fuel cannisters so that it is a tight fit and only make it 1" deep. It will make your stove far more stable (especially if your cooking with gloves on!) and insulate it from the surface that the stove is on. It's weather proof so you can attach it to the outside of your pack and weights next to nothing compared to other "winter" gear.

geek

Tinker
12-10-2008, 23:42
I'm starting NOBO in late February so I'm a little concerned about my fuel canister(s) getting too cold cook with. I was thinking if it came down to it, putting one of those "hot hands" one time use hand warmers under the canister to help heat it a bit (only when it's really cold).

Will the canister blow up? Or will the heating pad even help?

I think the packaging states they provide "135*? of warmth for up to six hours" that's not enough to turn my stove into a bomb I don't think.

Nope. Done it.

Yup. I sleep with my cannister anytime it's below freezing, and put it into an inner pocket as soon as I reach camp in the evening. Make sure you start the handwarmer a few minutes before you use it under your stove. A foam pad under the stove helps a lot also. I've seen people twist some copper wire around the business end of the stove, run it down to the cannister to keep it from getting too cool (they cool down naturally as they empty) and not have it blow up. I use a pretty tight windscreen coverning the stove head and the cannister with a slot to access the valve key. No explosions. The cannister gets warm to the touch, but never hot. You'd have to melt the O-ring for gases to escape below the burner head, and even if you did that, you'd probably "just" get a geyser of flame several feet high until the stove cylinder emptied.

saimyoji
12-10-2008, 23:59
Snowpeak, I think, works the best in colder temps. MSR the worst.

Keep it in your sleeping bag at night also if you cook in the AM.

Save your handwarmers for yourself. They are nice in a sleeping bag on a frigid night

I can tell you from personal experience that the GigaPower stove, with Giga fuel SUCKS ASS in the winter. go with white gas.

ATX-Hiker
12-11-2008, 12:17
Sleep with it in your bag. Get a 2" thick piece of closed cell foam 6" x 6".
Cut a hole in the center the exact diameter of your fuel cannisters so that it is a tight fit and only make it 1" deep. It will make your stove far more stable (especially if your cooking with gloves on!) and insulate it from the surface that the stove is on. It's weather proof so you can attach it to the outside of your pack and weights next to nothing compared to other "winter" gear.

geek

Thats a good idea:cool:

Ideas on where to get a 2" thick piece of ccf?

warraghiyagey
12-11-2008, 13:34
I'm betting it blows up

snaplok
12-11-2008, 16:04
I learned a trick by putting the canister in a pan and filling the pan with water. The idea is that the water hasn't reached freezing yet and keeps the canister warm enough to be used.

general
12-11-2008, 16:22
I'm betting it blows up

sky high man.

warraghiyagey
12-11-2008, 16:22
No doubt

Franco
12-11-2008, 16:53
How about, for a change, some of you guys read the info and links provided and refrain from posting idiotic comments in a serious thread.
Franco
Since some are too lazy do do so, a gas canister has to be heated to over 220f before tit blows up.
Standing the canister in water is a good suggestion and so is the copper wire trick.
Best to start with a a high mix of butane to propane (like 30-70) or Isobutane.
A base to stop heat loss by conduction is a must, some use a piece of plywood (can be used as a cutting board as well)

warraghiyagey
12-11-2008, 16:58
How about, for a change, some of you guys read the info and links provided and refrain from posting idiotic comments in a serious thread.
Franco
Since some are too lazy do do so, a gas canister has to be heated to over 220f before tit blows up.
Standing the canister in water is a good suggestion and so is the copper wire trick.
Best to start with a a high mix of butane to propane (like 30-70) or Isobutane.
A base to stop heat loss by conduction is a must, some use a piece of plywood (can be used as a cutting board as well)

Oh yes, apologies to our angry friend who has no room for humor. By the way nice use of the word tit in such a serious post. And thanks for educating us on what we already know. You're truly AWESOME!
Happy Trails
Your knowledge of gases is truly humbling.

Franco
12-11-2008, 18:08
Thank you for your sarcasm and for pointing out the typo.
The question from the OP was valid, your reply albeit in humor was not . possibly because many reading it would have not taken that as a humorous comment.
Again if you bothered to check you would have noticed that I commented from the findings of Roger Caffin , a scientist that has spent 27 years at the CSIRO ( Australian Commonwealth Scientific and Research Organisation)
Franco