PDA

View Full Version : Wilderness bob and I.

undergroundnathan
12-10-2008, 12:57
A rough draft. I WAS THERE. Adventure on the appalachain trail. A TRUE STORY. Im a diagnosed,paranoid schizophrenic. I always thought life was hard and a real drag.I had hiking in my blood at an early age,Ive been to half of the national parks in the united states. Ive hiked in glacier national park,montana and mount reiner in washington. Ive done parts of the pacific crest trail,in oregon and washington state. Been at crator lake and other places. Even though I done some hiking alone ,I wasent as happy as I should of been. When I discovered long distance hiking,It gave me a whole new outlook on life. That has carryed me to this day, I enjoy life now. Bare with me in this story, My memory is not perfect. Icant remembor all the names or places. I will do my best to give you a good idea ,where they were to the best of my ability. Someplace I remember fine some places I remember fine,some names some not. THIS IS MY STORY. Giving you a short from my book. I remember when I rember when I met wilderness bob,it was fifty mile or so south of parisburg virgina. That was the day I made seventeen miles,My biggest day yet.
it was a long way from the shelter,thought I wouldnt make it.But I pushed on.Other hikers had passed me ,I told them I didnt think I would make it. Right befor dark,coming down the hill,there was the shelter,some of the hikers cheered me on ,as they saw me come down the hill. There was a small creek running right by the shelter,I set my tent up along the creek,in the opening in thess woods.Then I went to the shelter to say hey to the hikers. Shortly after that we all went to bed. I woke up to the sound of heavy breathing,out side my tent.I had never sceen one but I knew it was a bear. I just layed in my tent scared,finally the breathing went away. IT took a while ,but I finnaly went back asleep. The next mourning,I was tearing down camp early,packed every thing,except my stove,outmeal and coffee. I went to the shelter to cook,all the hikers were still there. I mentioned the heavy breathing,they said it sounded like a bear.After eating I saw one of the guys,getting ready to take off.I walked over,with my pack,Do you mind if I tag along,I dont mind.By the way whats your name again,wilderness bob he said,and your name is underground. He started up the trail,I came behind,Im slow but ill try to keep up,hike your own hike,if I cant keep up. We had talked a little,He told me where he was from,He was about my height,five ten mayby a little taller. mostly we hiked quietly,We were topping a mountain,as we got to the top we sat down. First thing I did is pull out my tobacco,to roll a ciggert. Bob said every time He hiked with a smoker,they had to have a ciggeret ,every time they topped a mountain. He gave me a little **** about smoking,but he seemed alright. I got to go for now,be back latter to tell more about ,wilderness bob and I, it gets good,please come back. sincerly underground.

Cookerhiker
12-10-2008, 20:42
Wilderness Bob is a good guy. I met him onthe Trail in '05 and still keep up with him via his e-mail list.