PDA

View Full Version : Hammock vs. Tent... help!!

phoebersl
12-10-2008, 15:32
I have already gotten a tent for my through hike, but have started to hear more and more about hammocks. Is a tent an okay option? Or is it too hard to find flat ground every night?

snowhoe
12-10-2008, 15:38
Dude I took a tent and I loved it. I like my own little space. Not much in a seedhouse but enough for me. I only saw one guy in a hammock. I cant sleep on my back so I guess that I am a ground dweller. Plus I was able to get dressed semi standing up. I dont know how you can do that in a hammock.

Catherine Evans
12-10-2008, 15:53
I guess a tent has more advantages in hiking.

max patch
12-10-2008, 15:59
More people have thru'd using tents than tarps, hammocks, and bivys combined.

Doctari
12-10-2008, 16:56
In 500 miles on the AT:
I never had any problems finding sutable flat ground when I tented.
I have also never had any problems finding a site while hanging.
There are a few shelters without flat ground nearby, but those are usually pointed out in the guides & you can probably plan around that.

Tinker
12-10-2008, 17:49
The benefits of a hammock are that you might be more comfortable in one, and you most likely will be cooler in one in the summer. The obvious points are that you need trees to use a hammock, you can pitch your tent in the middle of a field. Besides the occasional time and place that you cannot find a suitable flat spot for a tent, the hammock might benefit you if the only flat spots are extremely wet or rocky.
I'd suggest you buy a cheap hammock, try it out, and if you sleep much better in it, make plans to take it (or switch over to it in the hot summer months where it really shines). Privacy is one thing you won't get with a hammock unless you carry an extra large rainfly.

phoebersl
12-13-2008, 19:11
thanks for all that advice!!! I'm thinking i'll stick with my tried and true tent, I too like my own little space that I can put all my stuff in. I'm glad to hear that there is ample flat ground!!! This takes a lot of worrying off my mind!!

KG4FAM
12-13-2008, 19:27
In 500 miles on the AT:
I never had any problems finding sutable flat ground when I tented.
I have also never had any problems finding a site while hanging.
There are a few shelters without flat ground nearby, but those are usually pointed out in the guides & you can probably plan around that.In Maine its hard to find flat ground any old place like in Georgia and North Carolina. If you just want to pull off the trail up there a hammock makes things much easier.

Bare Bear
12-14-2008, 10:44
AH let the tent vs tarp vs hammock war begin anew.

SouthMark
12-14-2008, 11:28
AH let the tent vs tarp vs hammock war begin anew.

Why is there a war? What does it matter what the other guy uses?

mudhead
12-14-2008, 11:33
Doesn't.

Matter, that is.

ScottP
12-16-2008, 00:26
If a tent is what you own, then start with a tent. Wait to spend your money until you've been on the trail and get a chance to see how other options work out for other people.

TrippinBTM
12-18-2008, 23:06
Why is there a war? What does it matter what the other guy uses?

its a war because sometimes people forget that what works for them doesn't for others. You just gotta do what's right for you

I wish I could use my hammock, but I'm just not comfortable in it (not a 'back sleeper'). They're so light and would be cooler in the summer heat; I'm jealous of those who can use them. But then, I appreciate the versatility of my one-man dome tent (free standing, relatively spacy, can toss and turn all I like...)

I say go with a tent. That way if you're ever in a grassland, desert, or above-treeline environment, you can use your same shelter. Save your money, don't double-buy!

rockdawg69
12-18-2008, 23:55
From an "old" guy. All good advice above. I have tented all my life, except those occasions when you could throw caution to the wind and just sleep under the stars with nothing over you. Currently have 4 tents in my inventory. In '07 I sent my one-man home at Hot Springs and bought a light-weight tarp for the rest of the trek to Damascus (late Apr to May 10th) -worked great - no bugs out yet. Now ('08), I have moved to hammocks almost exclusively for backpacking.
The Point: Go with what you know and feel comfortable with. As you gain experience and see other ways of doing the outdoors, don't be afraid to try something else that might interest you - HYOH.

TrippinBTM
12-19-2008, 12:10
I have tented all my life, except those occasions when you could throw caution to the wind and just sleep under the stars with nothing over you.

Ah, my favorite :sun

ShortStep
12-19-2008, 14:23
I use a tent or a tarp. The shelter a person uses is their choice. good luck

Bucky Katt
12-19-2008, 14:28
anyone use a Speer hammock?

Grinder
12-20-2008, 11:19
AAAH!
One of the beauties of hiking is

So many gear options, so little time.

They're all good.

Grinder
peeking at tarp tents

Diamond Diggs
04-15-2009, 12:26
I used a tent for years. I purchased a hammock a couple of years ago, and I dont plan on switching back to sleeping on the ground. I am not a back sleeper myself, I rarely sleep on my back in my hammock, and I sleep very comfortably on my side or stomach up off the hard ground. As far as privacy, I have found that my hammock with use of the rainfly makes it so easy to change clothes or clean up while standing or using the hammock as a chair, by using the rainfly as a petiton. I love the fact that I can use my hammock as both a shelter and a camp chair. The only draw backs is that it sleeps colder than a tent.... but there are many solutions for this as well.

Im not saying that I will never use a tent again, it certainly has its place, but I think it is clear as to my preference - hands down! :)

Two Tents
04-15-2009, 12:51
For me I am an ex-tent guy (except serious winter trips) and its because it is so much better sleeping comfy! You can use it as a bivy if needed. No need to look for flat spots. I have slept over a small stream and can find big boulders to use as a kitchen area. I will be camped in places you could not do in a tent.

cavscout
04-15-2009, 13:02
Check out Just Jeffs site for a great explanation of factors and options for hammock camping. Done right, hammocking is much more flexible than tenting. Nothing says you can't sling your hammock on the ground after all.

http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html

chiefduffy
04-15-2009, 17:02
anyone use a Speer hammock?

I use a Speer and love it. I just can't sleep well on the ground any more, and found I sleep VERY well in the hammock.

hikergirl1120
04-24-2009, 14:19
Check out Just Jeffs site for a great explanation of factors and options for hammock camping. Done right, hammocking is much more flexible than tenting. Nothing says you can't sling your hammock on the ground after all.

http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCamping.html

I looked at this site, my concern is the "where do I put my gear" question....

take-a-knee
04-24-2009, 14:41

Half my pack weight is food, and it is hung PCT style from a nearby tree. After my hammock/UQ and Blackbishop Sack are deployed underneath my tarp, not much is left in my pack but a water filter and sundry/first aid kit. My clothing bag is my pillow. My nearly empty pack hangs from the head end of my hammock. I also dangle my cook kit from the ridgeline in its' mesh bag.

hikergirl1120
04-24-2009, 14:46
Is it protected from rain? that is really my concern...the ol' rain factor

Cannibal
04-24-2009, 14:48
You can hang it from the suspension, put it in a gear hammock. sleep with your pack under your legs, or just set it on the ground below the hammock. Easy.

Not that I'd ever want to, but a hammock can be set-up on the ground just like a tent using trekking poles. Deep winter is not a concern in a hammock anymore so than a tent. I've got a recorded low of -14F with a sleep system under 6lbs. (hammock, suspension, tarp, quilts) in my hammock and was perfectly comfortable. Privacy is also a non-issue with the right tarp. My winter tarps allow me to close the doors on the ends and provides me with a whole lot more space to dress, or whatever ;), than a typical tent ever could.

I know I'm preachin, but the 'issues' with hammocks are mostly not real. Comfort should be the only criteria. Some folks just aren't 'comfortable' in a hammock. Fair enough, but don't fall for the other stuff.

take-a-knee
04-24-2009, 14:52
Is it protected from rain? that is really my concern...the ol' rain factor

That depends on your tarp, I use a Macat Deluxe from OES, and I find it more that adequate. I'm not worried about my cook kit, water filter or for the most part, my pack getting wet. I used this set up last week on the BMT and had a couple of nights of hard blowing rain, my pack was a bit wet but not enough to bother me. Remember my clothing is inside the hammock. That little 3-pack of roll top stuffsacks from Wal Mart's camping section is great. The little fastex buckle on the roll top allows you to easily fasten it around the hammock ridgeline, inside the hammock. Socks, hats, books etc, stuff that HAS to stay dry, stays inside with you.

Rambler
04-24-2009, 14:56
Using a hammock can save you the weight of having to carry a sleeping pad. However, if you carry a pad you have the option of sleeping on the ground under the tarp, or more comfortably in a shelter if need be. A hammock can fit many places where it would be very uncomfortable if not impossible to sleep on the ground, places that are steep, or rocky ground or in thick ground cover. Tarps are your lightest option.

hikergirl1120
04-24-2009, 14:57
Say I was to go witht the off the shelf version of the Hennessey Hammock "Ultra Light Backer Aysm"? It comes with a tarp I believe...would this be ok to go with or would I need to purchase additional items....as you can tell I am a complete newbie to hammocks.

I am taking a week hike in May to test out my gear, I am already comfortable tent camping as I have been doing that my whole life. I was thinking I would get this hammock from REI and if I didn't like It I could just return it....

Good idea??

Cannibal
04-24-2009, 15:07
The Hennessy fly is small, but functional. As long as the weather doesn't get too nasty it will more than suffice.

If you are interested in learning the ways of the Dark Side, come on over to hammockforums.net and you'll find more info than you thought existed. The Kool-Aid is fresh. :D

hikergirl1120
04-24-2009, 15:07
Well I ordered it.....it's the only way I will know if I like it! I will let you know

take-a-knee
04-24-2009, 15:12
Say I was to go witht the off the shelf version of the Hennessey Hammock "Ultra Light Backer Aysm"? It comes with a tarp I believe...would this be ok to go with or would I need to purchase additional items....as you can tell I am a complete newbie to hammocks.

I am taking a week hike in May to test out my gear, I am already comfortable tent camping as I have been doing that my whole life. I was thinking I would get this hammock from REI and if I didn't like It I could just return it....

Good idea??

That stock tarp the comes with the Hennessy sucks, IMO. some use and like it but I think it is too small. You can order directly from Hennessy without the tarp and save $50. You could also order the Warbonnet Blackbird than the folks at www.hammockforums.net RAVE about. You might find a Hennessy Backpacker UL on ebay, I've seen them for $60-70. The tarp to beat is the Macat Deluxe from OES in either silnylon or Spinnaker fabric (worth the extra $35). Come on over to hammock forums, someone may live near you and let you try their gear.

hammock engineer
04-24-2009, 15:24
Well I ordered it.....it's the only way I will know if I like it! I will let you know

Just give it time, it takes awhile to get right. Never got the hennessey tarp to work when I had one, a larger tarp works great for me. Bottom insulation is key. A pad or an underquilt work well.

For my gear I hang a rope inbetween the trees I hang from underneath my tarp. Then I hang all my gear from that. Keeps up out of the rain and off the ground.

hikergirl1120
04-24-2009, 15:33
I really just bought it from REI because of the ease of return....if I like I always try and find a cheaper one....