PDA

View Full Version : I know I brought this up

snowhoe
12-10-2008, 15:47
I know I brought this up a while ago but I have been gone a while. What happened to wildcowboy? The guy who was going to thru hike in 28 days unsupported. Did he ever show up at springer and if so did he get his butt handed to him?

Arizona
12-10-2008, 18:13
His plan was a total hoax. He never even showed up at the trail. His name was Lonnie Owens and had gone to the local TV stations here in town and claimed he held the record for walking from Phoenix to Tucson (without any proof). One station (KVOA) reported it without verifying anything. Then he announced his plan to hike the whole AT in under 30 days, to the same TV station, and once again they just reported it. Lonnie had never done any long distance hiking or any marathons or anything like that, so there was absolutely no basis for the unrealistic 30 day goal. The guy just seems to like publicity or trying to hoax people.

Pedaling Fool
12-10-2008, 20:16
I wonder if his mother is actually dead?

snowhoe
12-10-2008, 21:21
dude that is just crazy I guess that just matches everything that everbody said.There was no way he was going to be able to do it. I just remember him getting so mad about it. I really thought the guy was going to show up on Springer with a gun and do some mowing down of all the nay sayers. thank goodness he didnt.

No Belay
12-10-2008, 21:27
I don't know how you would gauge a successful HOAX but there was a whole lot of time, keyboards, and band width burnt up over this one. People are still thinking about it ?...:o

Savor Happy!

Tinker
12-10-2008, 23:53
Wild cowboy got tame, or lame, it's all the same :P.

River Runner
12-11-2008, 01:41
He stayed 'Home, Home on the Range'

Hooch
12-11-2008, 06:17
Is anyone really surprised that this dude never even set foot on Springer? Personally, I found him ridiculous and had completely forgot about him until this thread came up.

warraghiyagey
12-11-2008, 10:29
Is anyone really surprised that this dude never even set foot on Springer? Personally, I found him ridiculous and had completely forgot about him until this thread came up.

Why no Hooch, I was not particularly surprised. . . although it certainly would have been nice to see him give it a shot.
That is for sure.
:)

Lone Wolf
12-11-2008, 10:32
like a lot of wannabe thru-hikers, he never should've gone to the press before he started. most never make it

warraghiyagey
12-11-2008, 10:36
like a lot of wannabe thru-hikers, he never should've gone to the press before he started. most never make it

That is also a very, very excellent point Lone Wolf. Very concise and well stated. Hopefully he is doing very well for himself wherever it is that he ended up. Yes, certainly the absolute best of wishes are in order for Mr. Wild Cowboy.
:sun:sun:sun:sun:sun

Tinker
12-11-2008, 10:44
Without a doubt!
At my age, even if I got the opportunity (time and money :rolleyes:) to thruhike, I have to admit that I might not finish due to the usual reasons (medical, weather, boredom, etc.).

Tinker
12-11-2008, 10:45
Wild cowboy may have retired as "Mild cowboy".

warraghiyagey
12-11-2008, 11:11
Wild cowboy may have retired as "Mild cowboy".
Oh my word, that is a spicy thing to say. But deep inside my stoic self I believe I actually experienced a bit of a chuckle. Ha. Ha. Ha. Oh, Tinker you are certainly a wiley one. That is very good stuff.
:sun:sun:sun

saimyoji
12-11-2008, 12:42
Oh my word, that is a spicy thing to say. But deep inside my stoic self I believe I actually experienced a bit of a chuckle. Ha. Ha. Ha. Oh, Tinker you are certainly a wiley one. That is very good stuff.

are you feeling ok?

warraghiyagey
12-11-2008, 12:50
are you feeling ok?

Yes, I am feeling fine, and thank you for asking. That is a very caring and decent inquiry on your part my dear and beloved brother hiker. And how are thee on this beautiful day?
Peace be with you

Gray Blazer
12-11-2008, 12:59
He met a wild cow girl. I thank thee.

warraghiyagey
12-11-2008, 13:12
He met a wild cow girl. I thank thee.

That is some news filled with good tidings. Thank thee brother Blazer. :sun:sun

No Belay
12-11-2008, 19:29

Warragy...Do you have a carbon monoxide detector? If you do, send me some of those brownies you're eating.

Savor Happy!!

TaTonka

10-K
12-11-2008, 20:11
I heard he made it but he's just to modest to brag about it.

A humble wild cowboy.

slow
12-11-2008, 20:23
The guy got hurt last year,so he had to back out of his dream i hear.

kanga
12-12-2008, 08:23
so sad.

jersey joe
12-12-2008, 10:20
I don't know how you would gauge a successful HOAX but there was a whole lot of time, keyboards, and band width burnt up over this one. People are still thinking about it ?...:o

Savor Happy!
One interesting debate did come out of the wild cowboy thread concerning the possibility of someone ever doing a 40 day supported thru hike.

Bearpaw
12-12-2008, 11:20
The guy got hurt last year,so he had to back out of his dream i hear.

Wow, I guess the truth really does hurt. :rolleyes:

Gray Blazer
12-12-2008, 11:37

No.......thank THEE.

Lilred
12-12-2008, 12:27

Are you channeling Stewie???