PDA

View Full Version : JAN 1 NOBO from Springer

brandon2287
12-10-2008, 20:57
it seems like there are a lot of folks bringing in the new year starting from springer. i am also planning on heading north from springer on new years. where is everybody headed to? north carolina? maine?

kayak karl
12-10-2008, 21:10
it seems like there are a lot of folks bringing in the new year starting from springer. i am also planning on heading north from springer on new years. where is everybody headed to? north carolina? maine?
some back to the truck or car :D , me Mt. Katahdin and 3 others i know of :)
see you there and :welcome

weary
12-10-2008, 21:31
There are many dreamers of starting at Springer on January 1, but experience suggests that very few get very far north. at least any time soon. I met a couple of folks after I had started in 1993 on April 15, who had started on Jan. 1.

I became interested in several others from their trail register reports. Strangely. All those I had noted should be kept track of had dissapeared by June.

My message. Experience suggests that Jan. 1 starts are not very propitious for reaching Katahdin. However, if after pondering these comment, you still feel likely to reach Katahdin, I wish you all the luck (you'll need it) in the world.

FatMan
12-10-2008, 21:35
Providing the weather is nice I will be hiking home. That's about 18 miles to Grassy Gap. If rain or snow is in the forecast I plan on hiking .9 miles back to my jeep in the Springer parking lot.

Lone Wolf
12-10-2008, 21:35
There are many dreamers of starting at Springer on January 1, but experience suggests that very few get very far north. at least any time soon. I met a couple of folks after I had started in 1993 on April 15, who had started on Jan. 1.

I became interested in several others from their trail register reports. Strangely. All those I had noted should be kept track of had dissapeared by June.

My message. Experience suggests that Jan. 1 starts are not very propitious for reaching Katahdin. However, if after pondering these comment, you still feel likely to reach Katahdin, I wish you all the luck (you'll need it) in the world.

hogwash. just go and have fun brandon. what the hell is propitious anyway? :rolleyes:

Marta
12-10-2008, 21:41
I'll be with you folks for a few days, hiking with Rocky and Swamp Fox to Neels Gap or thereabouts. We'll be doing a pretty easy pace. Rocky and Swamp Fox are in no hurry at all. I think they're planning to take eight or nine months to get to Katahdin.

Some hikers find it lonelier and harder than they expected. Some people enjoy the cold weather and the solitude.

weary
12-10-2008, 21:45
hogwash. just go and have fun brandon. what the hell is propitious anyway? :rolleyes:
I agree with Lone Wolf. Go and have fun. Just don't expect a lot of miles, very quickly unless the disaster of global warming in 2009, finally gives us evidence that it is happening far sooner than the computer predictions had calculated.

Weary

kayak karl
12-10-2008, 21:49
There are many dreamers.........
aren't we all:-?

weary
12-10-2008, 23:09
aren't we all (dreamers):-?
Truer words have never been spoken. And dreams broaden with age. or at least, they do so for me.

Weary

e-doc
12-10-2008, 23:10
Dress warm and carry lots of food. Your journey could be.........................interesting. I'll look 4 u. I'll be on Camp Creek Bald or Big Bald on Super Bowl weekend (this assumes you have really crappy weather and hike slow or take many zero days).

Blissful
12-10-2008, 23:14
Bring your woolies (and real good sleeping bag system). :) It's been a cold start so far this season.

papa john
12-10-2008, 23:24
Calling for snow in MS tomorrow. Wonder what'll happen up there where it gets really cold! Best of luck on the 1/1 starts. Anyone keeping an on-line journal?

Marta
12-11-2008, 07:30
Calling for snow in MS tomorrow. Wonder what'll happen up there where it gets really cold! Best of luck on the 1/1 starts. Anyone keeping an on-line journal?

Rocky and Swamp Fox are:

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=258598

alaska moose
12-11-2008, 08:21
Have fun and stay warm . . .

papa john
12-11-2008, 08:32
Rocky and Swamp Fox are:

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=258598

Thanks Marta! Looking forward to this one. It'll give me something to do until I start my big section hike in May...

Spogatz
12-11-2008, 11:57
Supposed to be pretty cold this winter. Just something to keep in mind....