PDA

View Full Version : Laid off early this year

Tinker
12-11-2008, 10:52
Well, after spending the first two days of this week recuperating from a nasty spill on my mountain bike, I returned to work only to be asked if I minded being laid off full time (last year the company had enough business to keep me employed part time).
Anyone else?
I'm accepting job offers! :D
Not available right away. ;)
Gonna do some hiking!!! :banana

"So waddaya say - You in ???" (borrowed from "Cash Cab").

Green Mountains, White mountains, NO mountains? Willing to travel!!!

Homer&Marje
12-11-2008, 10:57
I thought my brother spent enough money at Prov Bike to keep you employed... guess he needs to splurge on one of those $5000 bikes he wants that weighs less than what...a bic pen or something.:D But have fun hiking...lucky....

nitewalker
12-11-2008, 11:13
Well, after spending the first two days of this week recuperating from a nasty spill on my mountain bike, I returned to work only to be asked if I minded being laid off full time (last year the company had enough business to keep me employed part time).
Anyone else?

hey tinker,
im over here in east killingly connecticut. im sorta busy for the holidays but after that i am game for some local hiking. pitdog and i have been looking at the north south trail that traverses the RI/CT border.our 2nd choice is the mid state trail thru mass. we may try to thruhike both together or just one at a time. if that doesnt work we will be doing sections...i may try and sneak out for a day hike sometime early next week. i leave for ocala on the 19th and will not be back till the 3rd of jan.. with any luck we can figure something out after that...its good to know some hikers in the area...peace out and happy holidays..

nitewalker

Manwich
12-11-2008, 11:36
Would you make a good Sherpa?

Blissful
12-11-2008, 14:20
Hope you find something soon. Sorry about the job.

superman
12-11-2008, 16:44
Anyone else?

Some folks make plans and the plans happen. Some folks are in control of their life. Some folks hit a bump in the road and they come un-glued. I've been down roads I never planned for or would have considered. My life has been quite a ride. Lost your job is no thing. Like my ex told me...take a hike.:)

DAKS
12-11-2008, 19:43
my last day of work is dec. 31. anybody wanna' link up for some long sections outside of VA? open to suggestions!
DAKS

Tinker
12-11-2008, 21:36
hey tinker,
im over here in east killingly connecticut. im sorta busy for the holidays but after that i am game for some local hiking. pitdog and i have been looking at the north south trail that traverses the RI/CT border.our 2nd choice is the mid state trail thru mass. we may try to thruhike both together or just one at a time. if that doesnt work we will be doing sections...i may try and sneak out for a day hike sometime early next week. i leave for ocala on the 19th and will not be back till the 3rd of jan.. with any luck we can figure something out after that...its good to know some hikers in the area...peace out and happy holidays..

nitewalker

O Boy! The North-South Trail - again! I did it in April of this year. Not challenging, only a few fine wilderness-like areas. You can camp at two undeveloped campsites - one 13 miles from the southern terminus (took us a little over 1/2 day this spring) and another about 18 miles farther north. Besides that, you can stealth or use a motel on Rte 6. The next section is 23 miles, I believe, then 26. I did it in a little under 4 days. There is a shelter north of the northern terminus (about 1 mile) on the Midstate Trail (haven't hiked that one yet).
Sure! I'm up for some dayhikes! I can bring Chatter for some entertainment (you have to know him to understand :p).

Tinker
12-11-2008, 21:38
Would you make a good Sherpa?

At nearly twice your age, Imight NEED a good Sherpa. :D

Tinker
12-11-2008, 21:40
Hey! I'm OVER twice your age.:O

Tinker
12-11-2008, 21:43
Hope you find something soon. Sorry about the job.

Thanks for your concern:). My layoff is probably seasonal. We'll see whether they need (or want) me back in the spring. There are several young folks who are sharper and more knowledgeable than I am who got hired this summer. Time will tell - I have a friend who would love me to work for him (have, part time, before), but I won't be able to get benefits and may have to pay my own taxes - again, time will tell.