PDA

View Full Version : solo food servings

Pickleodeon
12-11-2008, 11:09
Hi, I know I'll eventually be hiking with people on my thru, but when I start by myself and if I end up buying food for just me most of the time, what's the best way to do smaller portions of food. Like, there are instant mashed potatoes, the boil in bag rice, the pouches of tortellini-mmm, all sorts of things, but they usually serve like 3 or 4, and until my trail appetite really gets going, I just cant eat that much, especially if I'm adding a pouch of chicken, etc. Any suggestions for one person meals?

Also, has anyone tried some of the microwave single serve things converted to trail food, like those ronzoni bistro, or 90sec Uncle Ben's rice pouches, can they work on the trail?

Chance09
12-11-2008, 11:20
how about taking the mashed potatoes or rice and portioning them out into ziplocks before hand. Then later on you can just make half of it at a time.

sarbar
12-11-2008, 11:24
Usually for smaller appetites think less than a cup of instant rice dry unless you add a lot of meat (say 3 or more ounces of chicken or fish). 1/3 cup dry couscous is fine for 1 person. For potatoes a "2 person" serving usually works fine (1 serving is majorly tiny!)
4 ounces of pasta seems to work about right. A cup of soup won't overfill you.

As for things like Lipton's noodles? If you don't add in some form of protein you will end up eating the package. They are not that big.

BookBurner
12-11-2008, 11:34
Chance has it right. Portion out large servings into ziplocs. To save yourself a lot of money, add a handful of Ziplocs to each resupply box before you leave home. As a solo hiker you can burn a lot of dough buying a box of 25 bags and then only using 5 (unless you opt to carry the extras which can amount to a lot of unnecessary weight and bulk).

JERMM
12-11-2008, 12:55
here's a link for single serving foods, not necessarily meals, but some items will give you more variety in added flavor. I've ordered from them and had excellent service.

http://www.minimus.biz/default.aspx

Slo-go'en
12-11-2008, 13:09
On occasion you might be able to split bulk food with someone else, but for the most part you will be buying food just for yourself. Not too big a deal since you'll be buying food for 3 to 5 days at a time. Always try to repackage food into zip locks to reduce bulk and garbage. I recycle my bags as much as possible and carry a few extras. You need at least one for a garbage bag.

I eat a lot of dried Tortellini's - when I can find them. About 1 cup dried is a good serving and you get about three out of a 8 oz bag. What to do for a sause is always a problem. Finding a good "add water only" tomato paste is not easy. Adding pepperoni slices near the end of the cooking cycle adds protien and flavor. A chicken boulon cube works pretty good also. I'm sure there are other thing you can add to "doctor" it up.

The one serving rice "heat and serve" microwave packages are okay, dump the contents into the pot and heat. Maybe add a little water. Only problem is they are a bit heavy and bulky.

The meal I have the most trouble with is breakfist. I hate oatmeal and the like and gag on power bars first thing in the morning. If its cold and I want to spend time cooking, sometimes I'll do rama noodles, skip the flavor pacakage and use hot chocolate mix instead. Yum, chocolate flavored rama noodles - its not too bad!

One last tip: You'll likely shop at a lot of Ingles supermarkets, which are popular down south. Go to the service counter and get a savings card. They give you three - one big one and two small ones for keychains. Keep one and give the others to your friends. Look for stuff "on sale with card" and save a bunch of money in the long run.

scope
12-11-2008, 13:13
Any suggestions for one person meals?

spam envelopes :banana

Christopher Robin
12-11-2008, 14:44
I made most of my meals before I leve for hikeing in double ziplock bags or biolable bags so I only need to add hot water. This is my table of contens; pasta, 6-8ozs., grain, 3ozs., vegges, 2ozs., meet, stuffing, gravy, canberry suace, mash potatoes, 2-3ozs. I know some people may eat more but, it's a start. Just make a meal for yourself at home & then you can ajust it for oneself.

JAK
12-11-2008, 16:46
I buy and pack everything bulk and decide what and how much I want to eat at mealtime. I buy most stuff by the 1/2 pound, pound, or sometimes 2 pounds, with less variety on shorter trips, which is ok. Simpler, cheaper, and less packaging that way also, which means less weight and volume. I eat pretty simple though. I'm not what one would call a gormet.

Johnny Thunder
12-11-2008, 17:12
I agree with my man, Slo...break the good stuff down. When you're out there you're going to go through so many ziplocks that you'll either be carrying extra or in need of buying more.

Side note: whenever you buy new zips be sure to swap out ALL your bags. It sounds like a simple pleasure but there's nothing better than a full compliment of new ziplocks.

So, armed with your new ziplocks you can break a pound of angel hair into two dinners. Or, take that bag of tortellini and make it into two dinners. When you do, be sure to go to the powdered gravy section and get some alfredo or pesto sauce.

Lipton's are good for dinners when you start but I was eating two or more a night by the time I got through the Smokies. Maybe it's just me but my trail appetite hit early. Most mid-season 08 North Bounders will know about me and chicken sandwiches.

But, there were times when I didn't finish all my dinner. Once when my father joined me I cooked up two packs of mac and cheese w/chicken and green peppers. I forgot that Pops wouldn't have my appetite yet. What was left got bagged up and made a great early lunch the next day. Don't be afraid of leftovers...at the beginning it'll be cool enough for them to last through the night.

Rockhound
12-11-2008, 19:01
I would have to suggest buying family size everything and sharing with fellow hikers whatever you cant finish......By the way when are starting yor hike?

Jack Tarlin
12-11-2008, 19:23
Keep in mind that what constitutes a "single serving" on the packaging will not be enough for you on the Trail.......you'll habitually be eating food that the manufacturer would consider a 2 person portion, i.e. you'll easily eat entire Liptons, entire boxes of mac 'n cheese, etc.

If you go by what it says on the package or box, you're gonna be hungry, at least after a few weeks, when your Trail appetite has kicked in.

snaplok
12-15-2008, 16:39
Keep in mind that what constitutes a "single serving" on the packaging will not be enough for you on the Trail.......you'll habitually be eating food that the manufacturer would consider a 2 person portion, i.e. you'll easily eat entire Liptons, entire boxes of mac 'n cheese, etc.

If you go by what it says on the package or box, you're gonna be hungry, at least after a few weeks, when your Trail appetite has kicked in.

Have to agree with the rest. I always try to pack at least 1 1/2 servings even if I have to sometimes force myself to eat if I'm full. Those extra calories help. But then again I think those serving suggestions are for children. ;)

snowhoe
12-15-2008, 17:05
chance09 THATS what I did and it worked great! Before I left I loved looking at all that food separated and ready to be put in boxes so my wife could mail them. I even took a picture of that. It actually took quite a while to do it though

garlic08
12-15-2008, 18:46
I would buy a lot of 'bulk' food and eat it right out of the package, like bread, tortillas, cheese, peanut butter, crackers, cookies, oats, nuts, raisins, M&Ms, etc. The idea to pack along and mail yourself ziplock bags is a great one, to do your own packaging as you go.

brooklynkayak
12-16-2008, 12:57
Have to agree with the rest. I always try to pack at least 1 1/2 servings even if I have to sometimes force myself to eat if I'm full. Those extra calories help. But then again I think those serving suggestions are for children. ;)

It really depends on the person. I've seen people do fine on 2 bags of Ramen.
For me, it takes 10 per meal, a long slow meal, but I need that much fuel.

I test my meals at home and find that I have to double the portions when I'm on the trail. I also add a lot more healthy snacks and snack often when active.

Also note, your required pot size varies depending on the person as well. I need a 1.2 liter pot, others can get by with a much smaller pot or even a large mug.
Of course you could use a smaller pot and cook twice per meal or only make part of your meal a hot meal.

I'm even thinking about getting one of those 2 liter pots with the snap on cover so I can have some left overs. That way I'm not eating so much GORP, peanut butter and candy bars throughout the day.
I can then justify asking for a newer titanium pot for Christmas as I don't want the added weight of a 2 liter pot:)

stevie

sarbar
12-16-2008, 16:57
I'm even thinking about getting one of those 2 liter pots with the snap on cover so I can have some left overs. That way I'm not eating so much GORP, peanut butter and candy bars throughout the day.
I can then justify asking for a newer titanium pot for Christmas as I don't want the added weight of a 2 liter pot:)

stevie

I use this pot set (http://www.gsioutdoors.com/detail.aspx?c=20&sc2=128&p=44209&lu=%2fdetail.aspx%3fc%3d20%26sc2%3d128%26p%3d50172 %26lu%3d%252fdetail.aspx%253fc%253d20%2526sc2%253d 128%2526p%253d44209%2526%26&) when I do big meals. The pot/handle and clear lid are about 14 ounces. Not the lightest but cheap and the cleanup is easy. The second lid (the fry pan) weighs about the same if you leave the clear lid behind.

brooklynkayak
12-16-2008, 20:35
I use this pot set (http://www.gsioutdoors.com/detail.aspx?c=20&sc2=128&p=44209&lu=%2fdetail.aspx%3fc%3d20%26sc2%3d128%26p%3d50172 %26lu%3d%252fdetail.aspx%253fc%253d20%2526sc2%253d 128%2526p%253d44209%2526%26&) when I do big meals. The pot/handle and clear lid are about 14 ounces. Not the lightest but cheap and the cleanup is easy. The second lid (the fry pan) weighs about the same if you leave the clear lid behind.

This is a great set and one that I'd consider for kayak trips or for two people , but isn't it a bit heavy for a solo backpack?

I was thinking like the Snow Peak Cook & Save for solo backpacking less than 9 oz. Not as versatile as your set. And I'd suspect scorching and cleanup would be a bigger problem with the Cook & Save as well, but I can't justify the weight.

stevie

sarbar
12-17-2008, 00:27
Yeah, it would be WAY too big for solo trips, but for 2-3 people it rocks :) Solo I just use my Soloist or Dualist set.

Nicksaari
12-18-2008, 00:39
pita, peanut butter, and jerky. together in a gooey orgy.

Campsalot
12-18-2008, 09:27
Packit Gourmet has several single serving meals (http://www.packitgourmet.com/Single-Serving-Meals-c78.html) if you're planning on buying your meals. They look good and the prices are pretty low.

brooklynkayak
12-18-2008, 10:54
pita, peanut butter, and jerky. together in a gooey orgy.

Mmmmm. Sounds good.
Maybe add some dried fruit, if that's your thing?
You could substitute bannock, biscuits,... if pita is not available.