PDA

View Full Version : Geeeze what's LW going to say????

ofthearth
12-11-2008, 18:06
This is fantastic news! :eek::eek:

On Nov. 17, Florida was awarded the title of Best Trails State in the Nation by American Trails (http://americantrails.org/), a nonprofit organization working to create, promote and protect trails of all types.
http://www.visitflorida.com/experts/outdoors_and_nature/action.blog/id.904

Best Trails State banner unveiling
Credit: Office of Greenways and Trails

mudhead
12-11-2008, 18:26
Ft. Myers, FL has a paved trail in a park that was developed for visionless people.

All the plants are arranged by odor. Very cool. I bet much of this kind of greenway trail are beyond most people, including me. Even when you close your eyes...

Mags
12-11-2008, 18:50

On Nov. 17, Florida was awarded the title of Best Trails State in the Nation by American Trails (http://americantrails.org/), a nonprofit organization working to create, promote and protect trails of all types.

CO,WY,NH,ME,VT,CA,OR,WA..hell, at least half the states disagree. :D

superman
12-11-2008, 18:55
Holy crap, how did American Trails (http://americantrails.org/) shape their face to say such a thing. I guess they didn't drink the water.:D

mudhead
12-11-2008, 19:00
Tourism budget.

No Belay
12-11-2008, 19:23
Isn't that the same organization that chose West Virginia as the best state for beaches? What would LW say? Same thing as I would.

" That's a crock of *&%!!!#^."

Savor Happy! TaTonka

bigmac_in
12-11-2008, 19:24
Don't need Lone Wolf to say this designation is BS. I'm with MAGS - I'd say there are at least 1/2 the states with better trails - in my opinion. Of course, I didn't accept any donations, or accept any advertising money, to make that statement.

Mrs Baggins
12-11-2008, 19:47
Doesn't matter to me in the least. Thanks to the "ignore" feature I don't have to read anything he posts! :) And personally I think Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania are far better than Florida for trails........and California, Arizona, Colorado, Alaska.......there are so many others..........

cowboy nichols
12-11-2008, 19:53
I live here and don't agree but it may bring more hikers down here so the trails in states I like better will be less crowded. LOL

trailmonkey
12-11-2008, 20:30
Geeeze what's LW going to say????

I'm going to Disney World?

Hikerhead
12-11-2008, 20:39
"It's too darn hot down there and it's only walking, move on kid". :)

boarstone
12-11-2008, 20:41

...I repeat...YAHOO!!!!:banana:banana:banana:banana

slow
12-11-2008, 20:41
Nice trails,weather,wildlife,what more could you ask for.:D

taildragger
12-11-2008, 20:44
Nice trails,weather,wildlife,what more could you ask for.:D

An elevation change thats more than double digits when measured in feet.

Lone Wolf
12-11-2008, 21:12
Doesn't matter to me in the least. Thanks to the "ignore" feature I don't have to read anything he posts! :) And personally I think Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania are far better than Florida for trails........and California, Arizona, Colorado, Alaska.......there are so many others..........

c'mon honey. you love me. can't wait to meet you at soruck. you still comin' or did you get scared off?

Tinker
12-11-2008, 21:23
Fla. - Hmmmmm. Nope - Rhode Island doesn't have anything that can tear your leg off in a death roll. I like a more scenic view than can be had at the top of a highway overpass. :P

slow
12-11-2008, 21:27
An elevation change thats more than double digits when measured in feet.

Well we dont worry about,infested rats or trash.And will see 10 times the wildlife...just not a 400# bear.:D

Mags
12-11-2008, 21:32
Fla. - Hmmmmm. Nope - Rhode Island doesn't have anything that can tear your leg off in a death roll. I like a more scenic view than can be had at the top of a highway overpass. :P

You may appreciate this post.. ;)

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19457&highlight=jerimoth+hill

general
12-11-2008, 21:33
Well we dont worry about,infested rats or trash.And will see 10 times the wildlife...just not a 400# bear.:D

skunks and coons and such. you ever been hikin' anywhere outside of florida there hoss?

Lone Wolf
12-11-2008, 21:35
florida has walking paths. nothing remotely close to a hiking trail. what a joke :D

Tinker
12-11-2008, 21:58
You may appreciate this post.. ;)

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=19457&highlight=jerimoth+hill

Haven't had the interest to climb it, though I had committed the height of its lofty summit to memory. I'll remember it when the polar ice caps melt.

Hey wait! It's snowing in southern TEXAS! Global warming must mean regional cooling - or something.....:-?

No Belay
12-11-2008, 21:58

c'mon honey. you love me. can't wait to meet you at soruck. you still comin' or did you get scared off?

Mrs. Baggins, How does that "ignore" feature work ? Wild Cowboy keeps sending me suggestive post and like you with LW, my patience with him is getting very short.:D

Thanks for any info.

TaTonka

slow
12-11-2008, 22:11

Ocala was more bear, gator,wildlife then most will ever see.

Bulldawg
12-11-2008, 23:17

I'll be at the Ruck for sure. Maybe we can work up some sort of salute to Florida for their honor.

IMO, I prefer the trails in Georgia, North and South Carolina, Tennessee, and Virginia myself. Never been out west, so I can't speak for those trails!!

superman
12-11-2008, 23:18
The dangerous part of the FT is the miles and miles of road walks. They have all those old New Yorkers whos driving skills are gone but they still have the attitude.:D

slow
12-12-2008, 00:06
The dangerous part of the FT is the miles and miles of road walks. They have all those old New Yorkers whos driving skills are gone but they still have the attitude.:D

That's funny.:)

The FT dont have rat's,junk on the trail,so if you like to have hill's and hike by junk and look the other way more power to all.:o

aaroniguana
12-12-2008, 00:17
florida has walking paths.

Hmmm... An infamous figure has oft proclaimed, "It's just walking!"

Rather do it on asphalt would ye? Not everyone is lucky enough to live in Virginia.

ofthearth
12-12-2008, 00:18
That's funny.:)

The FT dont have rat's,junk on the trail,so if you like to have hill's and hike by junk and look the other way more power to all.:o

Hang in there Slow:banana:banana:banana. And you didn't mention the lack of shelters :eek::eek:;) .

Tennessee Viking
12-12-2008, 00:25
Hiking means at least a 500 foot elevation change.

ofthearth
12-12-2008, 00:34
Hiking means at least a 500 foot elevation change.

I think you can do that on the FT - it just takes a little (well maybe a lot) longer ;) .

slow
12-12-2008, 01:05
AT hikers coming down and do some walking EASY.So why i hear all saying just take the SHIP TO CROSS THE BIG KKK STREAM UP NORTH.:rolleyes:

O they cant wait for snow, cold weather,like manny hoped for.Let's see who posts IN JAN on how the trip went?

RITBlake
12-12-2008, 01:37
I can't think of a state I'd have like less interest in walking through.

taildragger
12-12-2008, 02:55

I'll see more wildlife in my state. The Wichita's has quite a range of wildlife, and it has "mountains". No trash or rats. Instead of a bear, we have the rare cougar and the herds of bison and elk to contend with :sun

Lone Wolf
12-12-2008, 03:33
AT hikers coming down and do some walking EASY.So why i hear all saying just take the SHIP TO CROSS THE BIG KKK STREAM UP NORTH.:rolleyes:

huh? explain that one hoss

Marta
12-12-2008, 07:51
huh? explain that one hoss

I think you need a secret decoder ring to figure it out. I sure don't get it.

Gray Blazer
12-12-2008, 08:14
florida has walking paths. nothing remotely close to a hiking trail. what a joke :D

We have bears AND Big Foots.

Gray Blazer
12-12-2008, 08:17
We have more frog heads than any other state.

kayak karl
12-12-2008, 08:17
I think you need a secret decoder ring to figure it out. I sure don't get it.

Im assuming he using the space cadet one.:rolleyes:
http://www-math.cudenver.edu/%7Ewcherowi/sdr.gif

Homer&Marje
12-12-2008, 08:20
Florida is on the very low end of the places I want to hike. VERY low end.

mudhead
12-12-2008, 08:23
It is not high on my list either. But, my hat is off to anyone willing to walk thigh high in a slough, or thru mangrove. Waaay more hardcore than I will ever be.

Gray Blazer
12-12-2008, 08:42
Don't need Lone Wolf to say this designation is BS. I'm with MAGS - I'd say there are at least 1/2 the states with better trails - in my opinion. Of course, I didn't accept any donations, or accept any advertising money, to make that statement.

Don't be a hater.

superman
12-12-2008, 09:06
I appreciate the Florida folks want to develop and promote their trails. I respect their enthusiasm for doing it. It's sort of akin to that folksy program that Vermont has encouraging people to buy Vermont stuff. The Florida folks can only go with what they've got: flat, road walking, mosquitoes, gators, swamps, wicked nasty water, wicked heat/humidity and no trail/hiking awareness of residence along the trail. I hiked it in January and February and it was too hot for me. Just because it's not my first choice for a hiking trail doesn't mean it isn't worth the effort. In my humble opinion, any awards at this point would be promotional...but it needs more promoting and more work. The FT has a hard-core bunch working on that trail and I expect it will get better. I wish them well.

jersey joe
12-12-2008, 09:56
Beaches? absolutely...trails? not so much.

OldStormcrow
12-12-2008, 10:22
Aren't most of the trails in Florida inside their shopping malls? Kinda brings to mind a bunch of snowbirds hoofing it through the food court in their sensible Hush Puppy shoes.

Gray Blazer
12-12-2008, 10:24
I appreciate the Florida folks want to develop and promote their trails. I respect their enthusiasm for doing it. It's sort of akin to that folksy program that Vermont has encouraging people to buy Vermont stuff. The Florida folks can only go with what they've got: flat, road walking, mosquitoes, gators, swamps, wicked nasty water, wicked heat/humidity and no trail/hiking awareness of residence along the trail. I hiked it in January and February and it was too hot for me. Just because it's not my first choice for a hiking trail doesn't mean it isn't worth the effort. In my humble opinion, any awards at this point would be promotional...but it needs more promoting and more work. The FT has a hard-core bunch working on that trail and I expect it will get better. I wish them well.

Hike in North Florida.

woodsy
12-12-2008, 10:27
Finally the FL trail is getting some recognition.
I've noticed a # of people from the south and west are coming to maine just to do the 100 mile hike. (internet hype?)
Maybe now those adventurous type will head to FL for some real hiking.

superman
12-12-2008, 10:39
Hike in North Florida.

LMAO, and especially betweens 9 and 11 in the AM. I'm aware that the FT is a mixed bag as most trails are to one degree or another.

Gray Blazer
12-12-2008, 10:45
skunks and coons and such. you ever been hikin' anywhere outside of florida there hoss?

Panthers, bears, bobcats, whooping cranes, sandhill cranes......I've seen em all here in NFL (not to mention the Big Foot footprints I saw). My friend got frostbite on our Alapaha canoe trip one year in Dec..

Cookerhiker
12-12-2008, 10:51
Context: From what I saw of their website, American Trails works to advocate for all kinds of trails (hiking, cycling, water, winter sports, horses, etc.) in all kinds of locations (rural, suburban, urban) whereas we on WB are more attuned to hiking-only trails. Most of the board of directors hails from the west although the Secretary is a Floridian.

Personally, I rank Florida in my third tier of "trail" oriented activities. It's not my kind of hiking but I enjoy the birdwatching along trails in National Wildlife Refugee as well as cycling and paddling. But the other Florida limitation for me is seasonal. Since I abhor hot humid weather, I could only stand Florida 3-4 months per year and during part of that time, I'd rather be in the desert.

bigmac_in
12-12-2008, 11:06
Don't be a hater.

That's funny, GB. I use that one all the time. :D

Not trying to be a hater, just stating my opinion (for what it's worth) ;)

SouthMark
12-12-2008, 11:18
I think you can do that on the FT - it just takes a little (well maybe a lot) longer ;) .

Impossible. The highest point in Florida is Britton Hill at 345'.

Gray Blazer
12-12-2008, 11:24
That's funny, GB. I use that one all the time. :D

Not trying to be a hater, just stating my opinion (for what it's worth) ;)

You know me. I'm just stirring the pot. I always forget to put that green smiley guy though.

woodsy
12-12-2008, 12:43
That must be N Fl.
Highest points in S FL are the human refuse dumps, maybe they should reroute the trail over some of those so you could get some views?

Bulldawg
12-12-2008, 12:50

Do they have a list of the top ten "peaks" in Florida if someone wanted to summit all of them?

Skidsteer
12-12-2008, 13:06
Do they have a list of the top ten "peaks" in Florida if someone wanted to summit all of them?

They're all in one Park.

DisneyWorld.

Gray Blazer
12-12-2008, 13:12
Chinseguit Hill and Snow Hill near Brooksville are interesting. There used to be sand mountain near Bartow, but, they tore it down 40 years ago to reclaim the phosphate.

stumpknocker
12-12-2008, 13:16
I wear a different style of hiking clothes when I hike down in Floreeda. :)

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=88845

mudhead
12-12-2008, 13:56
That must be N Fl.
Highest points in S FL are the human refuse dumps, maybe they should reroute the trail over some of those so you could get some views?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Britton_Hill

Interesting state park near this. The Blackwater area SWish is interesting also.

Found some shell middens on Pine Island. Indian burial mound on NW shore of Tampa Bay.

The biggest hill I saw in S FL was the biodegradable refuse pile (yard stuff) at the Naples dump. I figured I'd get a fine view by walking up the "road." They didn't agree.

Gray Blazer
12-12-2008, 14:00
I wear a different style of hiking clothes when I hike down in Floreeda. :)

http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=88845

Fun to read your journal. I saw Big Foot's foot prints near Bardin Booger Woods. They have a Bardin Booger museum in Bardin near Palatka. Bears in tose woods, too. Nice Hiking outfit.

woodsy
12-12-2008, 14:01
The biggest hill I saw in S FL was the biodegradable refuse pile (yard stuff) at the Naples dump. I figured I'd get a fine view by walking up the "road." They didn't agree.
The methane seeping from those man made mtns. is a bit strong :D

stumpknocker
12-12-2008, 14:06
Fun to read your journal. I saw Big Foot's foot prints near Bardin Booger Woods. They have a Bardin Booger museum in Bardin near Palatka. Bears in tose woods, too. Nice Hiking outfit.

I stealthed a few miles south of there. Didn't know about the Bardin Booger till the next day when I was talking to a couple old timers who were sitting in front of the general store. I was glad I didn't know because I slept great. :)

Gray Blazer
12-12-2008, 14:21
Wikipedia chinsegut hill, fl. Interesting history and connected to the Red Scare of the 1950's.

Tin Man
12-12-2008, 15:53
---------------

general
12-12-2008, 19:03
[quote=slow;738682 Let's see who posts IN JAN on how the trip went?[/quote]

that would be me there slick. in georgia, maybe north carolina, possibly virginia. with hills, hell, even mountains (real ones), snow, ice, night time temps around 0 or so, in a freakin' tarp, with four muddy viscious dogs, all hiking will be wonderful, you wanna know why? cause folks like you don't like things like that. what you gonna be doin' in florida in january?

general
12-12-2008, 19:06
Panthers, bears, bobcats, whooping cranes, sandhill cranes......I've seen em all here in NFL (not to mention the Big Foot footprints I saw). My friend got frostbite on our Alapaha canoe trip one year in Dec..

big foot, no way man. hey, i can shoot only one gator a year here in ga. what is the legal limit in fl?

Hoop Time
12-13-2008, 11:23
I only read the first two pages of posts, so if somebody has mentioned this already, my apologies.

It seems the issue here is what is defined as a trail. The organization that gave this award is not necc. a hiking/backpacking oriented organization. Those paved walking paths are considered "trails" by many people. Bike trails and water trails also figure in the mix.

And keep in mind these type awards are generally spread around year to year. They don't give it to the same folks every year. Also, the process for getting the award probably involved some sort of application filed by the state folks. Who knows what states even entered, or what the criteria were.

It is easier to make things look good on paper than it is to make the same impression if a panel of judges visited every state and evaluated their trails in person. Our local high school here has been named one of the nation's tops for music education, and I promise you I can name lots of schools with better music programs. They probably never even entered the competition.

In other words, take these things with a proverbial grain of salt. But also recognize that encouraging developers to build networks of walking paths may not do a lot for backpacking the vicinity, but really does add an important recreational element for the community, not to mention the potential for encouraging healthier, more environmentally friendly lifestyles.

the goat
12-13-2008, 11:31

y'all keep hiking in florida, i however will never go out of my to do so.

ofthearth
12-13-2008, 14:14
Sorry to get folks so worked up :eek: . I guess I should have put the post in the humor forum. While I do think it's a great trial with a lot of different eco systems I realize it's not for everyone. It does have a lot of road walks but that is off set ( for me at least) by the wilderness feel of it in a lot of places. Have only spent a couple of weeks walking it and while on it only saw one other packbacker. HYOY/LYOL (Live your own life)

I still think LW would enjoy it ;) No shelters and some great country bars with great people :banana HUMOR HUMOR HUMOR HUMOR

I only read the first two pages of posts, so if somebody has mentioned this already, my apologies.

It seems the issue here is what is defined as a trail. The organization that gave this award is not necc. a hiking/backpacking oriented organization. Those paved walking paths are considered "trails" by many people. Bike trails and water trails also figure in the mix.

And keep in mind these type awards are generally spread around year to year. They don't give it to the same folks every year. Also, the process for getting the award probably involved some sort of application filed by the state folks. Who knows what states even entered, or what the criteria were.

It is easier to make things look good on paper than it is to make the same impression if a panel of judges visited every state and evaluated their trails in person. Our local high school here has been named one of the nation's tops for music education, and I promise you I can name lots of schools with better music programs. They probably never even entered the competition.

In other words, take these things with a proverbial grain of salt. But also recognize that encouraging developers to build networks of walking paths may not do a lot for backpacking the vicinity, but really does add an important recreational element for the community, not to mention the potential for encouraging healthier, more environmentally friendly lifestyles.

y'all keep hiking in florida, i however will never go out of my to do so.

Mags
12-13-2008, 15:45
I have no desire to HIKE in Florida...

However, I think some canoe trips in the Everglades and probably other places would be pretty cool.

IIRC correctly, they even have tent platforms (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Evergladeschickee.JPG) right in the middle of the water where you can camp. You hammock hangers would enjoy that...

SouthMark
12-13-2008, 17:57
Just noticed that the title is "Best Trails State in the Nation" (trails of all types). Florida has some great rails to trails which are primarily used for cycling. I ride the Bike Florida ride each year and last years week long ride featured four of these trails and it was a great week riding these 12' wide paved bike trails with no traffic. My point is that maybe more than just hiking trails figured into this award.

Nearly Normal
12-13-2008, 18:15

Foothills Trail in South Carolina and Cumberland Island Georgia are great hiking and camping. Especially the blue blaze side trips.

mudhead
12-13-2008, 18:21
tent platforms (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Evergladeschickee.JPG) right in the middle of the water where you can camp. You hammock hangers would enjoy that...

Bet there are gators hanging out under that.

After you get a boat big enough to sleep on, and a kayak rack, let me know.

Thousand Islands.

Mags
12-13-2008, 18:33
Bet there are gators hanging out under that.

After you get a boat big enough to sleep on, and a kayak rack, let me know.

Thousand Islands.

A friend of mine used to the do the equivalent of "Hoods in the Woods" in Florida ("Hoods in the Swamp" in this case!).

She is a small woman, perhaps 5'2" tall. The (mainly) male teenagers would be amused that this woman was going to tell them what to do.

So, on the first day of each session with the group, she would jump into said swamp where alligators were known to reside and swim a bit.

Needless to say, it got the boys' attention....they never questioned her authority after that....

mudhead
12-13-2008, 18:39
She kicked my butt just thinking about jumping in.

Probably no worse than driving down there.

Bare Bear
12-14-2008, 09:54
The Florida Trail is about 1400 miles long and there are at least that much other trails in Florida. It is still a work in progress but I am going hiking this week in 47-72F weather and no bigs. I also appreciate the trails in other states, they are all different.

dan8794
12-14-2008, 10:21
How does the ignore feature work? I would love to block LW out of the threads I read, he just really brings me down with his constant negativity. Anyone want to tell me how to ignore him?

Thanks!!

saimyoji
12-14-2008, 10:32
did you guys hear something?

ed bell
12-14-2008, 10:36
How does the ignore feature work? I would love to block LW out of the threads I read, he just really brings me down with his constant negativity. Anyone want to tell me how to ignore him?

Thanks!!
From the top menu select User CP.
On the left tab find the Settings and Options Menu
Select Edit Ignore List
Add Lone Wolf
Select OK
Now you can resume your happy life

Lone Wolf
12-14-2008, 10:54

Thanks!!

oh danny. i really ain't all that bad. it's YOU that has the problem.:)

kanga
12-14-2008, 11:26

it's ok, wolf. i think you're funny.

Frosty
12-14-2008, 12:29
Nice trails,weather,wildlife,what more could you ask for.:DObviously you have not hiked much in your own state! Try doing the Florida trail and then say "nice trail" with a straight face!

dan8794
12-14-2008, 12:32
Thank you very much edbell. I come to these forums to take a break from my hectic life where everyone finds it necessary to be rude to one another (it's such a sad world nowadays). That's why I took up hiking...I met some guys while staying in a cabin in Ga and they seemed so peaceful, and sincerely nice. I liked the hiker persona. When I come here and read the things LW says constantly about other people, it makes me so disappointed. I mean, to me, hikers have always had this: scratch my back and i'll scratch yours" personality and are usually genuinely nice people.

With all due respect LW, you tarnish that image.

ofthearth
12-14-2008, 12:54
Thank you very much edbell. I come to these forums to take a break from my hectic life where everyone finds it necessary to be rude to one another (it's such a sad world nowadays). That's why I took up hiking...I met some guys while staying in a cabin in Ga and they seemed so peaceful, and sincerely nice. I liked the hiker persona. When I come here and read the things LW says constantly about other people, it makes me so disappointed. I mean, to me, hikers have always had this: scratch my back and i'll scratch yours" personality and are usually genuinely nice people.

Dan, Dan, Dan. And so young. You need to read more of LW posts. At times he is helpful and at times cranky - I'm not sure about rude. Sometimes the cranky is good - like when he calls out people who leave their dogs out in the heat(water?) and they go INSIDE where it is COOL and have a beer. Other times it's comments on 1 shelters (and while I agree with him it's still fun to poke :D ie this thread) 2 hanging food/bear bags - people ask - he answers (and answers :rolleyes:) It's an opinion and worth thinking about (I hang -sort of/sometimes). 3 ...................

Bearpaw
12-14-2008, 13:08

Dan, you need to spend less time online and meet Lone Wolf in person. He's one of the finest people you could hope to know on the trail. And a great many of the folks on this site HAVE met him, because he's spent so much time on the trail, it's hard for a NOBO to miss him. He loves the trail so much he even moved to Damascus to be a part of it. When folks need a hand, he'll be there most likely. For those who've met him, his actions speak much louder than words.

He calls things the way he sees them. Some people won't agree. Some people simply can't handle being called. I won't say he's always right, but if I had to bet money....

Bulldawg
12-14-2008, 13:32

Thanks!!

it's ok, wolf. i think you're funny.

Dan, Dan, Dan. And so young. You need to read more of LW posts. At times he is helpful and at times cranky - I'm not sure about rude. Sometimes the cranky is good - like when he calls out people who leave their dogs out in the heat(water?) and they go INSIDE where it is COOL and have a beer. Other times it's comments on 1 shelters (and while I agree with him it's still fun to poke :D ie this thread) 2 hanging food/bear bags - people ask - he answers (and answers :rolleyes:) It's an opinion and worth thinking about (I hang -sort of/sometimes). 3 ...................

Dan, you need to spend less time online and meet Lone Wolf in person. He's one of the finest people you could hope to know on the trail. And a great many of the folks on this site HAVE met him, because he's spent so much time on the trail, it's hard for a NOBO to miss him. He loves the trail so much he even moved to Damascus to be a part of it. When folks need a hand, he'll be there most likely. For those who've met him, his actions speak much louder than words.

He calls things the way he sees them. Some people won't agree. Some people simply can't handle being called. I won't say he's always right, but if I had to bet money....

Thing is that Wolf is just not up to par in today's uber politically correct world. As Bearpaw so eloquently said already, LW just calls things the way he sees them and to heck with if it hurts your feelings or not. I honestly think he knows that by maybe getting your dander up a little you might change your way of thinking. In today's mamby pamby touchy feely world of political correctness, some people can't fathom it, but a man who speaks his mind instead of holding his tongue for fear offending someone is my kind of guy. In fact a large percentage of the problems in today's world stem from the uber political correctness of the population at large. A lot of problems could be solved by people simply speaking their minds without fear of "hurting someone's feelings". We need more Lone Wolves in general. Carry on Brother Wolf!!

MOWGLI
12-14-2008, 13:40
Florida has great trails. The best? I don't think so. Different. But very nice just the same.

No offense, but do you think we could have come up with a dumber name for this thread? It always helps to title a thread somewhat close to what it is about.

woodsy
12-14-2008, 13:43
Trolling thread title for sure.

MOWGLI
12-14-2008, 13:46
I defy folks to find more ecological variety in a trail of similar length;

http://americanhiking.chattablogs.com/archives/2008/03/across-st-marks-national-wildlife-refuge-on-the-florida-trail.html

The Florida Trail through the St. Marks NWR is painfully beautiful. And I have rarely seen as much wildlife and wildlife sign.

Tin Man
12-14-2008, 13:46
who's lone wolf?

MOWGLI
12-14-2008, 14:04
Here's another AMAZING place in Florida. Much of the trail system is raised boardwalk, and there is a fee for entering. I was quoted in Forbes listing this as one of my favorite trails. But what do they know? They referred to me as an "expert." :rolleyes:
http://www.corkscrew.audubon.org/

http://www.corkscrew.audubon.org/PageMill_Resources/tour/aerial_map.jpg

Cookerhiker
12-14-2008, 14:35
I first went to Corkscrew over 20 years ago and have been there several times since. Always find wildlife there - some birds I've seen only there and nowhere else. First time I went to Corkscrew I saw a hawk with a snake in its talons.

nitewalker
12-14-2008, 14:38
Thing is that Wolf is just not up to par in today's uber politically correct world. As Bearpaw so eloquently said already, LW just calls things the way he sees them and to heck with if it hurts your feelings or not. I honestly think he knows that by maybe getting your dander up a little you might change your way of thinking. In today's mamby pamby touchy feely world of political correctness, some people can't fathom it, but a man who speaks his mind instead of holding his tongue for fear offending someone is my kind of guy. In fact a large percentage of the problems in today's world stem from the uber political correctness of the population at large. A lot of problems could be solved by people simply speaking their minds without fear of "hurting someone's feelings". We need more Lone Wolves in general. Carry on Brother Wolf!!

i dont even know lonewolf one bit but from what i see on this site is exactly what bulldawg and others have said. lonewolf is strait forward and no kissing butt.my type of person. id rather hang with the more blunt strait forward type that may offend some people at times but is mainly harmless; than hang with the person who kisses arse just to make themselves look politically correct. i know way too many people who are politically correct and it drives me absolutly nuts. those people are the most two faced people you will ever meet...sarcasm "im putting on a show in front of everyone but behind your back the show stops"....blah blah blah...enough said...

lonewolf, not that it matters much but your OK in my book. keep doing the things you do.....:D peace bother wolf, nitewalker

taildragger
12-14-2008, 14:40
I first went to Corkscrew over 20 years ago and have been there several times since. Always find wildlife there - some birds I've seen only there and nowhere else. First time I went to Corkscrew I saw a hawk with a snake in its talons.

You ever seen a hawk with a snake that gets snagged on a barbed wire fence?

ofthearth
12-14-2008, 14:41
Florida has great trails. The best? I don't think so. Different. But very nice just the same.

No offense, but do you think we could have come up with a dumber name for this thread? It always helps to title a thread somewhat close to what it is about.

Okay I said I should have put joke, fun, humor, light etc. in the title. Now I can add dumb :rolleyes:. The whole idea was to poke fun at the award AND bring the FT to peoples attention. What better way to do it than mention LW and shelters and the FT. Now if I could only bring Bryson in to the thread some how.........

I defy folks to find more ecological variety in a trail of similar length;

http://americanhiking.chattablogs.com/archives/2008/03/across-st-marks-national-wildlife-refuge-on-the-florida-trail.html

The Florida Trail through the St. Marks NWR is painfully beautiful. And I have rarely seen as much wildlife and wildlife sign.

My whole point!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well said.

Trolling thread title for sure.

I resemble that remark :eek::rolleyes::rolleyes:

who's lone wolf?

SEE :):):):):):):) We're back on top :):):):)

MOWGLI
12-14-2008, 15:03
Silly thread titles is a pet peeve of mine. Ignore me.

Toolshed
12-14-2008, 15:08
post deleted

Toolshed
12-14-2008, 15:13
Now..Now.. Now... Let's all stop picking on Danny. Or else he might go over to t-t-trail p-p-place where people who join get a cup of general foods cappuccino and can talk about their feelings and how cruel it is everywhere else....;)

ofthearth
12-14-2008, 15:50

titles are ;)

What I have noticed is that the silly/interesting titles get the views and responces. Your posts will maybe get some to reconsider the FT :eek:. And they seem to get less nasty/mean. :)

MOWGLI
12-14-2008, 16:28
I have requested that this be moved to the Other Trails forum. SO if you see it disappear, it hasn't been deleted. Just moved.

mudhead
12-14-2008, 17:30

Did you say something?

What is the term for the plants that send the tube up for oxygen? I've seen them at the base of mangrove, and can picture the tubes, but have no clue what to wiki up.

MOWGLI
12-14-2008, 17:39
What is the term for the plants that send the tube up for oxygen?

The root structure is called a knee. Cypress Trees have them.

mudhead
12-14-2008, 17:48
I am thinking of a plant that grows in the mud around the base of a mangrove. Sends up a strange tube, fat pencil sized, through the water, for air.

Whole class of these type plants, but I am blanked.

MOWGLI
12-14-2008, 17:52
Pneumatophore

MOWGLI
12-14-2008, 17:56
It's funny. Almost any time I hike a trail, when I finish, I'm ready to move on to a new trail. I rarely think, "Damn, I'd like to hike that one again." There are just too many trails that I haven't hiked, and with limited time, I like to spread the love around.

When I finished the Florida Trail in St. Marks National Wildlife Refuge, I immediately thought that I'd like to hike the trail again. And I just might this winter.

Gray Blazer
12-14-2008, 18:01

Devil's Mountain. I summited it yesterday near Live Oak on the FT. Saw some waterfalls and tumbling creeks disappearing into sinkholes, not to mention some 30 foot bluffs and sandy bottomed springs. Yes folks we're talking about the FT. Lots of SNUDs, too (small necessary ups and downs).

Gray Blazer
12-14-2008, 18:08
You ever seen a hawk with a snake that gets snagged on a barbed wire fence?No, but if you hum a few bars I can fake it.

mudhead
12-14-2008, 18:23
Pneumatophore

And cypress knees are one.

Bunch of others like black mangrove.

If someone from FL knows of the oddball plant that grows in brackish water around mangrove, post up or pm me. They look like vertical, slender pitcher plants. Vaguely. Not part of the mangrove. I was told what to look for, and eyeballed it in a book before I went.

This will torment me.

GeneralLee10
12-14-2008, 22:16
All of you are killing me with the crap you have posted. Florida is it's own State just like any other. We Floridans like it here for a reason, if you can't handle the heat then don't come here. If you have something bad to say you should keep it to yourself. You like what you like and that is fine but no need to crack on what is out of your State. We do have Hiking trails here just not to your liking or so called level. Let me see your arse come down here and hike in the middle of the summer and lets see how you do. Most likely you will not make it, I can say this as I work outside all year round hot swamps humidity cold wet days you name it.

Tin Man
12-14-2008, 22:34
All of you are killing me with the crap you have posted. Florida is it's own State just like any other. We Floridans like it here for a reason, if you can't handle the heat then don't come here. If you have something bad to say you should keep it to yourself. You like what you like and that is fine but no need to crack on what is out of your State. We do have Hiking trails here just not to your liking or so called level. Let me see your arse come down here and hike in the middle of the summer and lets see how you do. Most likely you will not make it, I can say this as I work outside all year round hot swamps humidity cold wet days you name it.

sounds like swamp fever has baked the sense of humor clean out of you. or is that half-baked? :-?

wahoo
12-14-2008, 22:43
Wow! What a ruckus the American Trails award has caused here on Whiteblaze. Thanks to oftheearth for linking to my blog post on VISITFLORIDA!

American Trails named Florida the Best Trails State for its ongoing efforts to develop, enhance, and protect trails of all types. Florida does have a great network of trails - hiking, biking, paddling, ORV, equestrian - all available for year-round enjoyment. The Office of Greenways and Trails, the Florida Trail Association, and countless other agencies and volunteers have put an enormous amount of effort toward the conservation and protection of our public lands. Florida is a state where tremendous urban growth and development threatens our natural resources and some of the the world's most diverse wildlife habitats, such as the Everglades and Big Cypress National Preserve. Again, through the efforts of our ever-growing alliance of outdoor and conservation agencies, these destinations will be preserved for all of you to visit and enjoy.

We take great pride in being named the Best Trails State for 2008, and it is an award that I believe will help raise awareness for all the great outdoor opportunities that are here in Florida. I invite everyone to take a trip down the Suwannee River, one of America's classic paddles. In the same area along the Suwannee, the Florida Trail is both rugged and beautiful. You'll find fine examples of these types of outdoor activities all over the state. Come on down!

I guess some are concerned that the Florida Trail is either only hot and flat, or swampy and buggy. Or maybe all of those things at once! I assure you that the Florida Trail is both beautiful and challenging for the right reasons. Right now when other trails are covered in snow, we are enjoying our prime hiking season, with no bugs and cool temperatures.

Anyway, just thought I'd put my two cents in about Florida being named the Best Trails State for 2008. Thanks!

MOWGLI
12-14-2008, 23:06
I encourage everyone to refrain from judging Florida hiking unless you've done it. There is some incredibly unique stuff to see. Like turquoise springs - complete with Manatees. Gators, Bald Eagles galore. Otters, Longleaf Pine ecosystems. And on & on. For me, it's a late fall, winter and early spring hiking destination. Forget the summer.

American Trails is a multi-use trail organization. The event where this award was given was the National Trails Symposium. It was held in Little Rock, AR. It will next be held in Chattanooga, TN in November 2010.

MedicineMan
12-15-2008, 06:29
and it has its own certain beauty:

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2317558390084634827guwqVW

and it goes by places like this:

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2790308420084634827bCOSAZ

Def. some attitudes posted, I've done bits and pieces of trails in 48 states in my national park pursuit...my attitude anymore is just thankful I can still hobble around, thankful people have made the effort to protect the lands and build the trails, thankful that beauty exists in many different expression........
The above photos were last week and the above poster is right on the temps there this time of year-it was a nice break from the temps hovering in my backyard. As far as difficulty, 2 years ago I did a section of the FT in the Big Cypress--also beautiful, fun looking at 8-10 footers just off the trail, but even more intriguing watching a snake actually swim across the trail in front of you.

mudhead
12-15-2008, 07:34
We Floridans like it here for a reason,

Either lndwlkr has lived in Maine for a time, or at least deserves honorary Maine dual citizenship.

Cookerhiker
12-15-2008, 09:20
All ..... We Floridans like it here for a reason, if you can't handle the heat then don't come here. ....... Let me see your arse come down here and hike in the middle of the summer and lets see how you do. Most likely you will not make it, I can say this as I work outside all year round hot swamps humidity cold wet days you name it.

Since you "can handle the heat," I assume you don't use air conditioning especially on those delightfully-muggy nights in the middle of the summer.

Gray Blazer
12-15-2008, 09:27
Since you "can handle the heat," I assume you don't use air conditioning especially on those delightfully-muggy nights in the middle of the summer.

That's what cracker houses are for.

Gray Blazer
12-15-2008, 11:23
Lotz of pics from the FT in my WB Gallery including some new ones from this weekend.......bluffs on the Suwanee, summit of Devil's Mountain and waterfalls and beaches.....all from the same day hike.

MOWGLI
12-15-2008, 11:30
I can't think of too many trails where you can be drinking a draft beer and eating a grouper sandwich 50 feet off the trail while watching Pelicans fly by, and then have to hail a boat ride across a river (St. Marks River) after your meal. And within a few hours be watching Alligators, Wood Storks, Osprey, and just about every species of wading bird that you can possibly imagine. And sleep that night under palms in the salt marsh.

The Florida Trail in St Marks National Wildlife Refuge. Don't hesitate. Don't vacillate. Don't equivocate. Just make some plans to go hike it this winter. You will not be sorry.

Cookerhiker
12-15-2008, 16:52
I can't think of too many trails where you can be drinking a draft beer and eating a grouper sandwich 50 feet off the trail while watching Pelicans fly by, and then have to hail a boat ride across a river (St. Marks River) after your meal. And within a few hours be watching Alligators, Wood Storks, Osprey, and just about every species of wading bird that you can possibly imagine. And sleep that night under palms in the salt marsh.

The Florida Trail in St Marks National Wildlife Refuge. Don't hesitate. Don't vacillate. Don't equivocate. Just make some plans to go hike it this winter. You will not be sorry.

I believe I've read that St. Marks is the only NWR in the country that permits overnight camping.

MOWGLI
12-15-2008, 23:19
I believe I've read that St. Marks is the only NWR in the country that permits overnight camping.

Yes. That might be true. Permits are required. We saw no other hikers in 6 days. But that included part of the FT in Apalachicola NF. The best part of finishing the trail was getting all the fresh seafood to bring home!!!

A-Train
12-15-2008, 23:37

Ok Clyde. You been watching much Knicks basketball recently?

slow
12-16-2008, 02:29
Most will not say....FL is good CLEAN hiking.:-?

slow
12-16-2008, 02:56
Folk's from up north, really going to pull from this to get water?:confused:

JAK
12-16-2008, 02:57
I really like that movie "The Yearling".

MOWGLI
12-16-2008, 07:32
Ok Clyde. You been watching much Knicks basketball recently?

Clyde? You mixing me up with that other geezer? :D And to answer your question.... no, but it has not eluded me that they are considerably better than they were. LeBron or Koby in 2010!!! Or BOTH!!!

Hooch
12-16-2008, 07:40
Most will not say....FL is good CLEAN hiking.:-?If you want to stay clean, might I suggest a nice game of shuffleboard or some cribbage? You know, stuff you Florida folks are used to doing. :eek::D:p

Gray Blazer
12-16-2008, 08:51
I have no desire to HIKE in Florida...

However, I think some canoe trips in the Everglades and probably other places would be pretty cool.

IIRC correctly, they even have tent platforms (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Evergladeschickee.JPG) right in the middle of the water where you can camp. You hammock hangers would enjoy that... There are islands and, near the Gulf, beaches.

warraghiyagey
12-17-2008, 11:59
Found it!:)

kanga
12-17-2008, 12:29
Found it!:)

what? your brain?

warraghiyagey
12-17-2008, 12:30
what? your brain?

No. . . that stupid thing's been missin for. . . well. . . uhhh. . . what was the question. . .

Lone Wolf
12-17-2008, 12:39
what? your brain?

no, his...never mind

Tin Man
12-17-2008, 19:21
If you want to stay clean, might I suggest a nice game of shuffleboard or some cribbage? You know, stuff you Florida folks are used to doing. :eek::D:p

don't play shuffletheboard by any gators. i hear they move quickly if you try to get your puck past their screen

Mags
12-22-2008, 21:06
There are islands and, near the Gulf, beaches.

..and in the middle of the river/swamps, tent platforms. Not a lot of solid ground int the Everglades I imagine at times. :)

I remember where I saw this type of camping:

http://movies.msn.com/movies/movie-synopsis/trailside-solo-canoeing-in-the-everglades/

". Jones explains what is involved in camping out on a "chickee" (a wooden platform on stilts), where viewers can spot gators in the sawgrass prairie."

MOWGLI
12-22-2008, 21:43
I see the back and forth has commenced again on this thread. Too bad. But I suppose it was doomed from the start with the lame title.

Goodnight Gracie.