PDA

View Full Version : Big Agnes sleep system

CaptChaos
12-11-2008, 23:37
As many of you know I have been hiking the Cades Cove area in the Smokies for the last 10 years. As my age increases I find myself dealing with my pack, sleeping bag, etc., and wanting to cut the weight so that I can keep dragging myself up the mountain a little while longer.

Here is my issue. I want to shed the weight of my equipment and I am looking at some new equipment but right now I want to focus on my sleeping bag and pad.

I do must of my hiking during the late spring, summer and fall. I never have liked winiter camping so I never do it.

I want to find a new sleeping bag. I was thinking along the line of a 40 or 30 degree bag since I like to camp in the mountains. My problem is that I am a side sleeper and since I have gained about 75 pounds since my college days I find that I just can't get enough support on my hips and I toss and turn all night long. I am not a back sleeper and being cold in a bag has never been an issue for me.

I tried laying on a Big Agnes pad the other day at REI and it felt like it would keep my hips off the ground. I wanted to hear from the group if any of you use the Big Agnes system and what you like and dislike about the product.

I am thinking maybe a mummy bag with an insulated blow up tube pad.

Looking forward to all of the experienced knowledge of the group on this subject. If you have any suggestions I would like to hear them as well.

John :-?

corialice81
12-11-2008, 23:40
I have a big agnes insulated air core pad that I used through Maine this year.

Pros: excellent sleep each night, kept off the cool ground, packs small

Cons: every evening it took 5 mins to blow up and you have to blow it up by mouth, got a little light headed at first, weights 2 lbs, got a leak and had to be replaced at one point (replacement works just fine)

skinewmexico
12-12-2008, 00:47
I have the POE Max Thermo (called ether thermo now, 21 oz) is great, I won't hike without it. Blows up to usable volume with 10 big breaths. If you blow it up completely, it's hard to stay on. The BA sleeping bags sure seem heavy though.

skinewmexico
12-12-2008, 00:49
Sleeping bags, you're limited only by your wallet. Western Mountaineering makes some nice bags, in big sizes. I'm trying the new quilt by GoLite right now, and it think it's going to work great. Weighs 1# 5 oz.

KG4FAM
12-12-2008, 00:58
If you want to be comfortable without carrying a ton of blow up doll weight then hammock is the way to go. Hammock and tarp weighs 2 lbs, same as those big agnes, and you get to ditch the weight of the tent. My dad is in the getting old and needs a comfy bed boat like you and that is what I got him using

geeselight
12-12-2008, 09:47
I am a pretty big guy. 6'4" 280. I have tried a ton of bags out and have realized in order to be comfortable I need to carry a little extra weight for a bigger bag. Look at the big agnes buffalo park. It requires a 25 inch pad and has around 80 inches of chest girth. It is a little heavy ( 3 lbs) for a 40* bag, but in my mind totally worth a good night sleep

Marta
12-12-2008, 10:08
My husband uses the BA pad and Horse Thief sleeping bag. It has changed his backpacking life. OTOH, he's a skinny guy, so I can't say anything about how it would work for someone with a bit more meat on their bones.

The Big J
12-12-2008, 10:18
I have the old style 20degree Big Agnes zirkel with the Big Agnes non-insulated air core mattress. I like the set up, it works well for me. I am 6'1" and 270 with wide shoulders. When I have hiked in the cold I bring a blue walmart pad to put under the Big Agnes mattress for extra warmth. I am a warm sleeper and This set up works well for me. I do use a sheet of tyvex under my Air core while tenting or in the shelter to help prevent punctures. I did purchase the bag extender from Big Agnes. In the warmer weather it provides more room so I don not sleep so hot. It also attaches to my marmont pounder 40 degree bag for summer hiking.

Tinker
12-12-2008, 11:46
I bought a Big Agnes Air Core Mummy pad about 4 years ago, and, other than hammocking, it's the most comfortable sleep I get outdoors. Unfortunately, I can't comment on their bags other than that, if you're a side sleeper like me, and the bag has a hood, you will have half of it in your face, half behind your head, and the opening over one ear. The Stephenson Warmlite bag which I used to own had an adjustable hood which let you use it while sleeping on your side. If you're not a cold weather camper, just wearing a hat or hood from a jacket will suffice.

bigmac_in
12-12-2008, 12:09
I just bought a BA 15 degree bag and an air core mattress. I haven't had a chance to test it outside yet, but I did try it out real quick on my living room floor. Seemed pretty comfortable. I'm hoping to try it out this spring.

Cabin Fever
12-12-2008, 12:39
I weigh over 200 pounds and my BA pad always keeps me off the ground.