PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on layering

.5step
12-12-2008, 01:05
Howdy--

I'm in the middle of getting my gear ready for my '09 NOBO thru-hike and wanted to get some thoughts from the vets on my cold-weather layering for GA, NC, and the north (i.e. is it sufficient, should I look at a down jacket, maybe a merino base layer, etc?)

Base) lightweight capilene long sleeve t-shirt (old ultimate frisbee jersey), Second) midweight capilene long sleeve zipshirt,
Third) patagonia R1 Hoody (love it!!),
Top) Rain shell

I also have a pair of what I think are midweight patagonia longjohns (got them second hand) which could be an option.

(my gf's sister lives near the outlet in Maine so when they have their massive 70% off clearance sales I send up a shopping list).

I wore this combination of layers this past weekend hiking up to Big Meadows and Bear Fence Mt. (in the snow) from the Green Mountain area. I was fine while moving with the first 3 layers (it was 25 degrees), but definitely got cold when I stopped and the sweat started to evaporate in the wind.

How would this wardrobe fare during the colder parts of the journey?

corialice81
12-12-2008, 01:08
Could you use the down jacket in camp? Or if it was a warm night, you could you the down jacket as a pillow, a very comfy pillow?

I layered up this past weekend at Grandfather mtn when it was in the teens with snow/ice (three top layers, bottom layers similar to yours).

I would probably add some rain pants that could keep you warm bottom wise.

Johnny Thunder
12-12-2008, 01:18
I typically carry more clothing for my torso than my legs. If it's cold enough to have all my clothes on while in camp I'm probably half in the bag anyway. Otherwise, I carry enough to be safe and comfy while hiking and to do the "oh jeeze, it's cold" dance when I step out of the tent at 3 AM to answer natures call.

My ideal setup for April 1st would be...hiking clothes (i.e. shirt and shorts). Baselayer top and bottoms. Camp jacket. Light vest. Rain jacket and pants.

If you're starting in March you might want to consider another layer until you reach Hot Springs.

KG4FAM
12-12-2008, 01:26
Need a start date.

.5step
12-12-2008, 01:42
Sure..that might help the discussion-- Shooting for March 10

Need a start date.

KG4FAM
12-12-2008, 01:46
Sure..that might help the discussion-- Shooting for March 10yeah, you are going to need some fluffyness for sure in the beginning for camp chores.

l0ngterm
12-12-2008, 08:51
For 12.4 oz you can't beat the Patagonia Down Sweater. Packs into its own pocket and will keep you toasty warm. I put the IceBreaker long sleeve ultralight merino and/or the patagonia wool 2 underneat it and the Marmot Precip over the top in extreme temps. If thats not enough its probably time to start heading for the road :)

l0ngterm

bulldog49
12-12-2008, 10:26
I prefer the synthetic fill Patagonia puffball jacket to a down jacket. If it gets wet it still insulates. It's extremely light weight, compresses very well in your pack and is very warm.

buz
12-12-2008, 10:34
I would second the rain pants idea. You will have plenty on top/torso, but the extremeties will need help. Rain pants are wind breakers and insulators, as well as hiking enablers in 40 degree rainy days. You can send them home later in the hike, but I think they would be a valuable addition starting. Also, you don't mention, but what about hat/balaclava and gloves. Nice fleece hat for me, doubles as cozy for dinner zip loc "simmering"

bigcranky
12-12-2008, 11:18
You will need some sort of insulating jacket for camp and breaks. Down or synthetic, your choice. Keep it until you pass Mt. Rogers. Rain pants are also a very good idea.

.5step
12-12-2008, 14:10
I was going to ask about rain pants! Thanks for the suggestion.

I've got a nice fleece hat (along with my Baltimore Orioles baseball hat), and a pair of OR gloves that I'm thinking of replacing...I went hiking in the rain a few weeks ago to test them out and they were a bit disappointing.

I would second the rain pants idea. You will have plenty on top/torso, but the extremeties will need help. Rain pants are wind breakers and insulators, as well as hiking enablers in 40 degree rainy days. You can send them home later in the hike, but I think they would be a valuable addition starting. Also, you don't mention, but what about hat/balaclava and gloves. Nice fleece hat for me, doubles as cozy for dinner zip loc "simmering"

snowhoe
12-12-2008, 19:09
I didnt carry a jacket just a marmot fleece, wick away long sleeve shirt and a short sleeve wick away. When it got really cold I would put on my rain jacket over all of that. Worked pretty good.

Rambler
12-12-2008, 23:17
My favorite layer is a windshirt. These can be rolled into fist size and stufed in your pocket, too. Golite Wisp or the model with the hood and full zipper front. For outer layer and/or vest check out the Patagonia micro puff.

George
12-12-2008, 23:39
second the wind shirt. Up down with the hood and zipper 50 times a day for the fine tuning without stopping

.5step
12-13-2008, 01:13
My favorite layer is a windshirt. These can be rolled into fist size and stufed in your pocket, too. Golite Wisp or the model with the hood and full zipper front. For outer layer and/or vest check out the Patagonia micro puff.

great idea! I'll be sure to check those out!