PDA

View Full Version : Cold weather camp shoes

ATX-Hiker
12-12-2008, 10:20
Thoughts on camp shoes for an early NOBO start. i was thinking waterproof/resistant and warm. Do these look like overkill, my feet tend to be cold.

http://www.backcountry.com/store/TNF3320/The-North-Face-Prism-Optimus-WP-Bootie-Mens.html

Lyle
12-12-2008, 10:39
I've used Down booties with just a cordura nylon (and closed cell foam) sole in the past. EXCELLENT for very cold weather. Feet stay really toasty, totally comfortable. Great in the sleeping bag too - usually end up pulling them off during the night cause they get too warm.

Have to use some care where you walk, fine for dry snow. Would slip my socks and boots back on if tromping around for more than a quick potty break. Wouldn't go out in real winter weather to camp without them.

I think simple down booties would be lighter than the ones you mention, but haven't researched them lately.

Whiskyjo
12-12-2008, 10:57
Nice and warm but cost alot,, http://nunatakusa.com/site07/booties/chugach.htm

ATX-Hiker
12-12-2008, 11:00
Nice and warm but cost alot,, http://nunatakusa.com/site07/booties/chugach.htm

They look nice, can anyone attest for the water/weatherproofness of them?

KG4FAM
12-12-2008, 11:19
My brother has some of these under the Christmas tree right now for me.

http://www.featheredfriends.com/Picasso/Bed.Acc/Down%20Booties.html

Little bit cheaper than the Nunatak ones and probably just as good. I like how you can take the shells off and use the down part at night in your sleeping bag if it is very cold. Also you can wash the shells without washing all the down as well. When I tried them on I went outside over some wet ground and I only had some small drops of water on them, but they did good.

snowhoe
12-12-2008, 11:29
No camp shoes you will probably not use them. Weight,weight, weight. Is this going to be a luxury item? If so go for it. I dont think you will use them as much as you think.

KG4FAM
12-12-2008, 11:34
No camp shoes you will probably not use them. Weight,weight, weight. Is this going to be a luxury item? If so go for it. I dont think you will use them as much as you think.
I use camp shoes every night. Feet are the thing with the most wear on them. Got to pamper them at night.

ATX-Hiker
12-12-2008, 11:35

They'd be part luxury and part I don't want to freeze my toes off. I was just thinking about when I get to camp and put on my dry camp clothes for the eve. I'm just a little worried my trail runners might possibly be soaked from hiking through snow all day (leaving 02/26). Should I maybe just take some extra thick socks for camp? fleece or stick with wool?

corialice81
12-12-2008, 11:39
They'd be part luxury and part I don't want to freeze my toes off. I was just thinking about when I get to camp and put on my dry camp clothes for the eve. I'm just a little worried my trail runners might possibly be soaked from hiking through snow all day (leaving 02/26). Should I maybe just take some extra thick socks for camp? fleece or stick with wool?

I'm going with my crocs and thick wool socks for around camp. Some people like down booties (I do sometimes), but if you think about it from a multipurpose standpoint - crocs are more versatile than down booties. IMO, there are tradeoffs to both.

BookBurner
12-12-2008, 11:52
IMO, way, way, way too heavy and bulky for the benefit!! You're willing to lug around an extra pair of boots that weigh 1 lb. and 10 oz. all day long, so that you'll be a little more comfortable for the two hours between the end of your hiking day and going to sleep? Crocs and thick socks will work just as well, even in February.

The biggest change a thru-hiker experiences is a shift in the cost-benefit analysis they apply to their gear. Ounces become significantly more costly after a few days on the trail, so the benefit they provide must be significantly greater. The outgoing mail at Neel's Gap is a living tribute to this shift in hiker perspective.

ATX-Hiker
12-12-2008, 11:55
I guess I'm going to ditch the bootie idea. I'll have to find an alternative to crocs, I've just always thought they looked ridiculous, maybe some Keen's or something.

KG4FAM
12-12-2008, 11:59
I guess I'm going to ditch the bootie idea. I'll have to find an alternative to crocs, I've just always thought they looked ridiculous, maybe some Keen's or something.I used some old nike sandals for warm weather. They were lighter than crocs too.

Pony
12-12-2008, 12:20

I thought the same thing until I got completely waterlogged and then the temp dropped to about 45 degrees. Cold wet feet can make you miserable. Two days later I bought some crocs and wore them constantly when not hiking. I do like going barefoot though, when weather permits.

Jim Adams
12-12-2008, 12:38
Camp shoes are not really a luxury. Your feet will be the most worn piece of equipment on your hike.
I have down booties with a sole (TNF) for extreme cold and snow but totally overkill for most trips.
Dry, thick wool socks in my crocs work great and you are only carrying the weight of an extra pair of socks.

geek

TomWc
12-12-2008, 13:09
I guess I'm going to ditch the bootie idea. I'll have to find an alternative to crocs, I've just always thought they looked ridiculous, maybe some Keen's or something.

If you're worried about goofy looks, go for the subdued colors and get the ones called "scutes", they have open toe and open heel and just look like regular slides
http://www.shoes.com/ProductImages/Shoes_iAEC1021474.jpg

Or maybe the new trailbreaks, they look like keens
http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-33766704360050_2028_1772558

ATX-Hiker
12-12-2008, 13:11
If you're worried about goofy looks, go for the subdued colors and get the ones called "scutes", they have open toe and open heel and just look like regular slides
http://www.shoes.com/ProductImages/Shoes_iAEC1021474.jpg

Or maybe the new trailbreaks, they look like keens
http://us.st12.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-33766704360050_2028_1772558

those trailbreaks don't look bad

ChinMusic
12-12-2008, 13:16
ATX - The first item you posted is WAY to heavy and bulky and is overkill.

Think small. You don't need something bomb-proof.

This is the item that I have. http://nunatakusa.com/site07/booties/teanaway.htm

http://nunatakusa.com/site07/images/booties/teana.jpg

For the evenings that your feet are wet and cold, you need something to warm up, but you need to think small. These are 4.5 oz, in my size, and are fairly water-resistant. They pack to next to nothing. Once the weather warms up switch over to something like Crocs.

buckwheat
12-12-2008, 13:28
Not sure how much these weight, but at $40 ... how wrong can you go? They're down, so compressible. Might be worth a look:

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___49760?CS_003=2477120&CS_010=49760

mudhead
12-12-2008, 13:36
Check these out. What will they come up with next.
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___19125

After I win the lottery, I will get those teanaway sweet looking units.

Mocs123
12-12-2008, 13:42
When I wear boots, I normally take crocs, but with trail runners, I normally just put on fresh socks and wear them around untied as camp shoes. I do carry down booties for sleeping in the winter though.

TomWc
12-12-2008, 13:43
Check these out. What will they come up with next.
http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___19125

OK, I might have to stop wearing crocs, I didn't realize that the holes on top were called "charm holes":eek:

KG4FAM
12-12-2008, 13:50
OK, I might have to stop wearing crocs, I didn't realize that the holes on top were called "charm holes":eek:That sounds like something involving Michael Jackson.

Mercy
12-12-2008, 14:11
My feet get real cold, too, especially when I sleep. My down booties win hands down over wool socks for warmth. They don't have a waterproof sole. If its wet out, I put my hiking shoes on, and when I get back, slide back into my down booties. My cold weather luxury item!

KG4Fam, would your brother like to adopt a sister for Christmas? :DThose look sweet! I like the idea of a liner/outer shell.

I got my down booties at an REI clearance for $11.95, and use them for slippers around the house when not hiking.

Rambler
12-12-2008, 15:26
I have a pair that look something like those of Chin Musics and I even cut some of that blue foam used in pads to make insulated footbeds. All was great until the snow got wet. They became useless. I also found the down booties give no support. They are like slippers, sometimes your not even walking on the soles, but on the sides. Look into waterproof socks "Sealskins" Even those are not completely waterproof, but I found they add warmth. The down booties are warm and it's nice to slip out of what you have hiked in all day. Just do not let them get wet. You might even consider hiking in a waterproof insulated boot like the Columbia "Bugaboot", or the Baffin's "Outback" that have a felt removable liner. Some hikers uses NEOS Overshoes.
http://www.winterfootwear.com/a33pg1-welcome_to_the_baffin_team.htmll
(Those boots are really for winter hiking. 40 degrees and up you'll have sweaty feet!)
BTW I wore the Sealskins one rainy day on the AT in PA this fall going over Lehigh Gap. My feet did not feel any cold when I stepped into the puddles. They did take a long time to dry out and they smelled bad, but, hey, they kept my feet warm when I needed it. I would recommend them for the cold weather part of your hike. (I was wearing low cuts)

snowhoe
12-12-2008, 17:06
I can just tell you what I did and yes it sucked but it worked. I had only 2 pair of socks. 1 for camp and one for hiking. Both pairs were smartwools and liners.I wore one pair all day hiking and when I got to camp I would change into my other pair. What sucked is that if it had been raining or snowing while I had been hiking the next morning it was not fun putting on wet socks, they did warm up though. I wore boots and it sounds like you are wearing trail runners. All you can do is see how it goes. Bring the camp shoes if you dont use them mail them home, If you dont take them and you feel you could use them have them mailed to you that easy.

Marta
12-12-2008, 17:46
I can just tell you what I did and yes it sucked but it worked. I had only 2 pair of socks. 1 for camp and one for hiking. Both pairs were smartwools and liners.I wore one pair all day hiking and when I got to camp I would change into my other pair. What sucked is that if it had been raining or snowing while I had been hiking the next morning it was not fun putting on wet socks, they did warm up though. I wore boots and it sounds like you are wearing trail runners. All you can do is see how it goes. Bring the camp shoes if you dont use them mail them home, If you dont take them and you feel you could use them have them mailed to you that easy.

That's pretty much what I did. During winter weather, I started wearing fleece socks.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/links/link.jsp;jsessionid=5LGQ0IEE5TME5LAQBBICCOVMCAEFCI WE?id=0029137811851a&type=product&cmCat=froogle&cm_ven=data_feed&cm_cat=froogle&cm_pla=0200720&cm_ite=0029137811851a&_requestid=22948

They dry out much more quickly than wool socks, and I found them to keep my feet warm enough during the day.

For nighttime use in the depths of Southern Appalachian winter, I carry a pair of wool socks and a pair of fleece socks to wear over them, inside my sleeping bag.

Crocs may be goofy-looking, but they make great camp shoes and town shoes. They're also good for crossing streams, and in a pinch, you can hike in them.

KG4FAM
12-12-2008, 17:50
KG4Fam, would your brother like to adopt a sister for Christmas? :DThose look sweet! I like the idea of a liner/outer shell.I have a Patagonia DAS parka for him for Christmas.:sun

Mercy
12-12-2008, 19:07
Sounds fun! Wish my brother and I lived closer... but not enough to move! :D

Jorel
12-12-2008, 19:50
I love the nunatek down booties for sleeping on cold nights (I use a quilt) but admit they are luxury item

Blissful
12-12-2008, 20:23
I just carry an extra set of Acorn polartec socks to wear in my crocs at night. But usually you are in your bag pretty well after dinner.

MoBill122
12-12-2008, 20:42
I just wear a pair of bedroom booties my kids gave me for Christmas years ago... they call them Smurf booties ! :cool:

kayak karl
12-12-2008, 21:19
we are talking a winter hike??? not use camp booties? from what experience do you speak?

Two Speed
12-12-2008, 22:30
I just wear a pair of bedroom booties my kids gave me for Christmas years ago... they call them Smurf booties ! :cool:Yep, with that beard you do have the "Papa Smurf" thing going on, so I can see where the kids are coming from.

snowhoe
12-12-2008, 22:35
kayak karl, I fricken live in colorado. It does snow here and I do go winter camping.

snowhoe
12-12-2008, 22:37
plus i didnt use them when i hiked

kayak karl
12-12-2008, 22:37
kayak karl, I fricken live in colorado. It does snow here and I do go winter camping.then why no backup for wet boots and camp:)

snowhoe
12-12-2008, 22:43
Look at the thread that I posted earlier. I bring two pairs of socks one for hiking and one for camp. Thats all I do I have some safty pins on my pack to dry out one pair if I cant get them dry or its time to cook some socks over the fire.

kayak karl
12-12-2008, 22:48
Look at the thread that I posted earlier. I bring two pairs of socks one for hiking and one for camp. Thats all I do I have some safty pins on my pack to dry out one pair if I cant get them dry or its time to cook some socks over the fire.
thats great, seriously. when my boots get wet and the temp in dropping 30 degrees MY FEED FREEZE new socks or not. maybe the problem is, i never have a campfire:-?

George
12-12-2008, 23:13
I use the zip off sleaves of my down parka for booties, no extra weight

Bare Bear
12-14-2008, 10:51
Crocs with Smartwools. I leave the dirty socks on until bedtime then put on cleaner/dry ones to sleep in.

Wags
12-15-2008, 17:38
i use the same camp shoes when it's cold as when it's hot. open toed nike flip flops. i use thicker socks in cold and suppliment w/ bread bags. admittedly i don't winter camp b/c i'm a sissy from dec - feb.

Pickleodeon
12-16-2008, 11:14
I have crocs, the classic ones (the strap on the back comes in handy for stream crossings) the fuzzy (mammoth) crocs are overkill. In winter I take my down booties the model without the hard sole, they cost me like $6 on campmor I believe. I slip on some warm, dry socks, slip on the down booties, and put the crocs on over them. It's somewhat bulky and not the best way to walk because my feet dont really fit as well in the crocs with the booties, but it's definitely warm. I do know people who wear booties with the soles, Mountain Hardwear maybe? or Sierra Designs- mine are SD, work great.

Gator 65
12-19-2008, 18:27
Take it one step further with the crocs and look for the "Hydro Crocs" at West Marine or on line. They slip on like a loafer and are great when you need to cross a stream and need to keep the boots dry. Very low weight. Buy them a size bigger so they will fit over your smart wool socks ans swollen feet in camp.

Tinker
12-20-2008, 12:53
In the winter I bring down booties with a cordura sole that has some rubber dots on them. This is for a few days. If I were doing a thru, I probably would replace the down with Polarguard or something equivalent (Primaloft doesn't look to be as durable in the long run) booties without a sole. I'd look for a cheapo rubber slip on shoe cover in an extra large size to protect the booties from snow.

cooter
12-20-2008, 17:23
Could you just have crocs in case you have to pee in the middle of the night, but wear two pairs of heavy socks to sleep in at night? I'm weary of buying even more gear. I'm wearing boots during the day. Do you think three pairs will do for the trip?

TomWc
12-20-2008, 17:53
anyone wear acorns? space shuttle issue since 1984. I have a pair, but wear crocs & wool socks. Thinking about getting some 200wt fleece socks from campmor, will they be better for sleep socks?

Tinker
12-20-2008, 18:38
I wear Acorns around the house, but wouldn't take them winter hiking. The leather sole would pick up moisture. I don't see why fleece socks wouldn't be good for sleeping. They have gotten low marks for durability when used for hiking, though.