PDA

View Full Version : Alcohol Stove Safety

Singletrack
04-09-2004, 15:47
I am interested in knowing more about how to be safe when using an alcohol stove? I understand that the flame cannot be seen during day light. Is there a problem with spillage, and getting burned? I would like to hear your experiences with this fuel.

StoveStomper
04-09-2004, 16:16
Don't spill alcohol on the top of your shoes and get to close to the stove.

chris
04-09-2004, 16:24
With double wall type stoves, make sure not to overfill. Since the wind can move the flame around a lot, if your pot has attached handles (eg, Evernew Ti pots), they can get extremely hot (enough to melt fleece). If the flame goes out and you want to cook more, wait for a minute or two before putting new alcohol in. If you add it right away, the residual heat will vaporize some alcohol immediately. In and of itself, there is no danger, but the vapor can ignite rapidly: Don't stick your face over the stove with a smoke in your mouth. Don't toss a full bottle of alcohol into a campfire either.

deeddawg
04-09-2004, 16:39
I think that with a general application of common sense stove usage, there is little to no danger from most alcohol stoves.

Don't flic your bic if you spilled alcohol on your hand. Don't set up the stove on an unstable surface or where folks are going possibly knock it over. You already understand that the flame is nearly invisible in bright daylight -- and as chris mentions it can lick up the sides of a pot, so be careful.

I think the only other danger might be with enclosed designs like cobra or photon if by some weird happenstance you got JUST the right fuel/air mix in the enclosed area. I know I've seen my cobra-design stoves "woof" a little on the rare occasion; but at the same time if you don't have you face right over the stove as you light it you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

StoveStomper -- why does your warning sound like something which might have lead to a name such as yours? :-?

snuffleupagus
04-09-2004, 19:59
Don't use your alcohol stove to warm up you bivy sack on a cold night.......:-?

SavageLlama
04-09-2004, 20:25
Don't toss a full bottle of alcohol into a campfire either.
Ha- I'll have to keep that one in mind..

Rain Man
04-09-2004, 20:32
Don't flic your bic if you spilled alcohol on your hand. ....

Been there, done that!!! Right in my own kitchen. YOUCH!!!!

LOL

Happy
04-09-2004, 23:40
A "rule of thumb" IS NEVER" fill your stove more than 2/3 full before you light it, and it will burn much more effective!

Doctari
04-11-2004, 09:14
Also: as with all stoves &/or fires, beware of carbon monoxide, It can kill you. So avoid using your stove in a enclosed place. Probably not a problem in most AT shelters, but inside your tent or attached vestibule there is a real chance of getting dead.

As I said, this applies to all backpacking stoves so isn't a "special" issue with alcohol. I have used: esbit, white gas, propane and alcohol while camping, I prefer my alcohol stove.

Doctari.

Two Speed
04-11-2004, 13:01
If you really want to see the flame from an alcohol stove, you can add a dab of water to the fuel. If you choose to do so, please note:

1) No more than 10%, as it will make lighting more difficult.
2) Sure as shooting don't do that in very cold weather, as it may make it completely impossible to light your stove. :mad:
3) Will reduce the heat output of your stove.
4) May make it soot your pots a bit more.
5) Might be something you could do until you get accustomed to your alky stove.
6) If you do it in front of someone who has only run a gas stove, be prepared for a lot of unwanted and inaccurate advice about contaminating your fuel. :rolleyes: Water will foul up a gas stove, there is almost always some water in alcohol, even if only a trace amount.

Like Doctari alluded to, I don't think there is a fuel or method that doesn't have it's hazards. Heck, I've screwed up around a camp fire and got myself a small burn for my trouble.

BigToe
07-01-2004, 00:08
I have a Mini Trangia which packs inside the pot and skillet. I'm wondering if there is any danger if some of the denatured alcohol spills inside the pot, dries up, and then we heat our water/food in that pot...

Streamweaver
07-01-2004, 01:30
The alcohol will evaporate if a bit gets spilled and once it does theres nothing left that is flammable.If you note some liquid in your pot ,just wipe it out and give it a minute or two and your good to go. Streamweaver

P.S. If you use non stick cookware its best to put something between the stove(or any sharp/metal objects) and the nonstick surface to prevent scratching.A paper towel or bandanna works and also will absorb anything that moght spill and help keep the pot clean.

Footslogger
07-01-2004, 17:41
Very true about the flame not being visible in bright light. When in doubt take your hand (about 12" above the stove) and move it across the stovetop. If it's lit you'll feel it.

As far as spillage goes ...I guess that could be a problem, especially if it occurs near open flame. Good news is that small denatured alcohol spills generally evaporate rapidly.

For what it's worth ...I've used an alcohol stove (Trangia Westwind)exclusively now for about 4 years and have never had a problem. I use a plastic (2oz empty) booze flask for the alcohol and it has a 1 oz jigger as an outer lid and then a leak proof cap. I pour out either 1 or 2 oz, depending on what I'm cooking and cap it back off. There is usually a little spillage around the top of the stove, which I use to my advantage. Rather than having to dip a match or lighter into the stove bowl I just light the spillage on the stove and poooof ...the fuel in the stove bowl ignites.

'Slogger

BigToe
07-05-2004, 16:31
I have a Mini Trangia which packs inside the pot and skillet. I'm wondering if there is any danger if some of the denatured alcohol spills inside the pot, dries up, and then we heat our water/food in that pot...Just to clarify - I'm worried about whatever is in denatured alcohol to make it poisonous drying up and leaving a residual that would get into the water we're heating in the pot.

Hikerhead
07-05-2004, 16:46
Just to clarify - I'm worried about whatever is in denatured alcohol to make it poisonous drying up and leaving a residual that would get into the water we're heating in the pot.

Are you cooking/heating water with the pot upside down? I don't think so, whatever is on the underside of the pot is harmless, that is unless you lick the blackened bottom. Even then I wouldn't know if it would hurt you. I wouldn't want to find out though.

Maybe you're talking about storing your stove in your pot like I do. As long you wait for the stove to cool before screwing on the top you want have any problems. The lid has a rubber O-ring and if you screw it on while the stove is still hot you could destroy the O-ring and in effect kill the seal which would allow leakage. In that case just rinse with some soap and water and heat up the stove good without water or food and you should be good to go.

SGT Rock
07-05-2004, 17:28
To make alcohol denatured, mainly involves mixing Methyl alcohol with Ethyl alcohol so it is no longer consumable. They both evaporate the same way. Youa re safe. You could always rinse and wipe your pot with a little water if you want.

BigToe
07-05-2004, 19:14
Thanks, all who replied, and especially Sgt. Rock. That was exactly what I was looking for - once the alcohol evaporates, the danger of residue ingestion is nil.

Catfish John
:sun

SGT Rock
07-05-2004, 22:37
You're welcome. In an ideal world that is what the forum is for.

luxlite
07-05-2004, 23:33
Also: as with all stoves &/or fires, beware of carbon monoxide...
Doctari.
Even though it's a month after your posting, I think it is good to know that alcohol stoves do not produce carbon monoxide. They produce water and carbon dioxide, both are harmless in the quantities produced by a soda can stove. So using an alcohol stove inside a tent is not dangerous (unless you tip it over!)

Streamweaver
07-06-2004, 00:00
[QUOTE=luxlite]Even though it's a month after your posting, I think it is good to know that alcohol stoves do not produce carbon monoxide. They produce water and carbon dioxide, both are harmless in the quantities produced by a soda can stove. So using an alcohol stove inside a tent is not dangerous (unless you tip it over!)[/QUOTE

You got anything to back that up? Im no expert but That dont sound right to me ! Streamweaver

SGT Rock
07-06-2004, 00:49
Pure alcohol when burned under ideal conditions also produces, in theory, only carbon dioxide and water. Again, in practice, varying amounts of carbon monoxide are also produced. However, the amounts of carbon monoxide are usually much lower than with gasoline. In addition, alcohol fuel will contain no sulfur and no additives, and will not produce the related, undesirable combustion by-products. Pure alcohol fuels are extremely clean burning.

Not 100% free, but free enough. It is fun to watch the water from the exaust of stoves condense on the bottom of pots when I run stove tests.

Streamweaver
07-06-2004, 01:23
Ill be derned!! Learn something new every day.Thanks Sarge! And Valcour ,I wasnt being smart just didnt sound right to me . Streamweaver