PDA

View Full Version : How much are you budgeting for your hike?

ATX-Hiker
12-12-2008, 13:26
I'm trying to figure out how much to budget for my hike. I've read the $1 a mile all over. Which let's round up to $2200. I'm hoping to finish in 5 months, which would boil down to $440 a month and then further $110 a week. I'd like a bed or a bunk once a week and couple hot meals when I'm in town. $110 seems like it might be tight. Does $4-5k total seem ridiculous. I've been paying close to $1k a month for rent alone, so $800-1k a month doesn't seem unreasonable from that standpoint.

Lone Wolf
12-12-2008, 13:32
$4500 is right on target for a comfortable, enjoyable, stress-free 5 months

Panzer1
12-12-2008, 13:41
For $2200 you could have a real nice hike if you were planning to only hike the first half of the trail ending in Harpers Ferry.

Panzer

Bulldawg
12-12-2008, 16:16

Yeah, sounds about close to me, if LW says so.

Mags
12-12-2008, 16:40
~3k-4k on average.
That figure includes from the time you set foot on the trail from the time you get off, replacement of gear,
a mix of hostels when avail with split hotel rooms, and the all important beer and burger in town. :)

If you do a more luxurious hike, you'll spend more (more and longer town stops, private rooms)

If you are an experienced thru-hiker and a naturally thrifty person, you can probably spend less (you know the ins and outs of the trail
well, when to cut corners if need be).

People can (and will! ;) ) debate the finer points of the above, but that's the quick, simple and direct answer.

Spirit Walker
12-12-2008, 17:49
The dollar a mile idea dates back to before my first thruhike in 1988. Back then it was feasible. Today it is possible if you are a really really cheap hiker who avoids towns and has good luck with gear and health - but it is better to double that amount, just to be safe. Consider also - many of us don't go back to work right away. It is very hard to face the mundane world after six months of freedom. So budget extra for the post hike phase as well.

Blissful
12-12-2008, 20:24

Yep, agreed. Esp if you go early, with winter conditions you might want that cozy motel room or hostel a day or two more to wait out bad weather.

FritztheCat
12-12-2008, 22:40
I'm going in 2011 with $5000 saved for the trip. I'm hoping not to do too many zero days in town (thus saving money) but I want to have plenty just in case. My goal is not to have money be a concern while I'm enjoying this opportunity to get out and hike.

Peanut
12-12-2008, 23:24
I spent about $4,500-$5000 during my hike. This includes all expenses except gear that was bought ahead of time. This starts with travel expenses to GA and ends with travel expenses home from ME. I think I was middle of the road. It can definitely be done cheaper, but there were a lot of people who took more time off in town or spent more $$ at the bar, consistently, than I, and so spent more overall.

Tin Man
12-12-2008, 23:40
I met a couple of thru-hikers this year who upon reaching the whites were out of funds due to the town parties. Budget your time and weekly spend wisely and you will be fine on LW's recommended $4500.

garlic08
12-13-2008, 20:37
I budgeted $2/mile for my thru this year, came out about $500 under budget. But I donated that to my partner's fundraising hike, so that was good.

Bare Bear
12-14-2008, 10:42
I tried to stay at $10 per day average but it reached double that by K. mostly due to the heat and wanting to do anything to get into a shower and AC at night.

CrumbSnatcher
12-16-2008, 12:36
IMO you'll spend more money, on your first thruhike. $4,500-$5,000 will do nicely on a 5 month hike. but if i were to fall behind schedule(5-MONTH) by 2-3 weeks for what ever reasons? i'd like to have a couple hundred extra. IMO$4,750minimum. but i've been out of the loop for 5 years or so,so prices?

ATX-Hiker
12-16-2008, 12:43
I think I'm going to budget on the high side with my early start, and the fact that I'm starting to worry less about getting back before school starts. Is a 7 month thru too drawn out?

CrumbSnatcher
12-16-2008, 12:46
never too long,longer the better! i used to always joke around and say i wish i had 7 months and 7 grand$ that would be a fun hike to try someday. budgeting high is very smart!

jersey joe
12-16-2008, 12:51
Nah, 7 months isn't too drawn out...but you could complete a yo-yo in 7 months if you wanted to.

CrumbSnatcher
12-16-2008, 12:54
jersey joe, when we going?yo-yo right on!!! i know you hiked the trail in like 111 days? or so. IMO my estimates are close for alot of hikers. i budget my 5 month hikes real close. translation(i'm broke as hell by the time i reach northern maine) next year i'm doing a 3 month thruhike, have no clue how much i'll spend?

ATX-Hiker
12-16-2008, 12:55
I figure if I have the opportunity and means to do it, I should try and and enjoy it as much as possible. Things change a lot, and I may not have this opportunity again, plus I can always go back to school in the spring, I've already drawn my education out over 10 years and a half dozen colleges.

CrumbSnatcher
12-16-2008, 12:57
I figure if I have the opportunity and means to do it, I should try and and enjoy it as much as possible. Things change a lot, and I may not have this opportunity again, plus I can always go back to school in the spring, I've already drawn my education out over 10 years and a half dozen colleges.
a professional student? hell Tommy Boy only took 7 years. :D

ATX-Hiker
12-16-2008, 13:15
a professional student? hell Tommy Boy only took 7 years. :D

I took a break 4 years in and started working as roadie/lighting tech got sick of the rock'n'roll lifestyle, then went back, then took a break. I've been running a home theater business for the past 2 years, which has allowed me to save up the cash for my thru, and taught me that I don't like A/V work. yeah tommy boy took only 7 years, but like HYOH, Get Your Own Degree.

CrumbSnatcher
12-16-2008, 13:19
I took a break 4 years in and started working as roadie/lighting tech got sick of the rock'n'roll lifestyle, then went back, then took a break. I've been running a home theater business for the past 2 years, which has allowed me to save up the cash for my thru, and taught me that I don't like A/V work. yeah tommy boy took only 7 years, but like HYOH, Get Your Own Degree.
your going to do great on your hike,you already know HYOH and to budget high! ROCK ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jersey joe
12-16-2008, 13:20
jersey joe, when we going?yo-yo right on!!! i know you hiked the trail in like 111 days? or so. IMO my estimates are close for alot of hikers. i budget my 5 month hikes real close. translation(i'm broke as hell by the time i reach northern maine) next year i'm doing a 3 month thruhike, have no clue how much i'll spend?
I wish Crumb. I just got married and bought a house so there probably isn't a long hike in my near future. and yes, I took 111 days, which I know is a lot faster than the average thru. Your estimates look good for a typical thru hike.

CrumbSnatcher
12-16-2008, 13:25
i Wish Crumb. I Just Got Married And Bought A House So There Probably Isn't A Long Hike In My Near Future. And Yes, I Took 111 Days, Which I Know Is A Lot Faster Than The Average Thru. Your Estimates Look Good For A Typical Thru Hike.
Never Say Never!congrats On The House And The Marriage. I Wish You The Best

Speer Carrier
12-16-2008, 18:53
I've only been section hiking the trail. So far I have about 250 miles in. At the rate I'm spending, by the time I complete the whole thing I'll probably have $10,000 invested. What can I say. I like staying in first class hotels, and eating a great restaurants.

CrumbSnatcher
12-16-2008, 20:22
I've only been section hiking the trail. So far I have about 250 miles in. At the rate I'm spending, by the time I complete the whole thing I'll probably have $10,000 invested. What can I say. I like staying in first class hotels, and eating a great restaurants.
nothing wrong with that, a great investment!

Monkeywrench
12-17-2008, 08:29
I am budgeting $1,000 per month, whether the hike takes 5, 6, 7 months, or whatever. I will be thrilled if I don't actually spend that much, but I have no intention of pinching pennies if I want to splurge on a hotel room or a nice steak dinner.

There are definite advantages to being older and having more assets than I did when I was 20.

A-Train
12-17-2008, 12:58
I am budgeting $1,000 per month, whether the hike takes 5, 6, 7 months, or whatever. I will be thrilled if I don't actually spend that much, but I have no intention of pinching pennies if I want to splurge on a hotel room or a nice steak dinner.

There are definite advantages to being older and having more assets than I did when I was 20.

Good for you, you sound prepared. Although I sometimes welcome the chance to be frugal and test myself there are absolutely times when you should treat yourself and you'll probably need it if your mood is waning!

If you have a little money left over, don't forget the younger guys :)

Jorel
12-17-2008, 19:37
I am budgeting $35,000. Of course, I only have $4500, but my budget looks great.

flemdawg1
12-18-2008, 17:42
I am budgeting $35,000. Of course, I only have $4500, but my budget looks great.

Thanks for stopping by, Congreesman. ;)