PDA

View Full Version : Interested in a Sublite tarp tent...but...

blackfoot "hb"
12-12-2008, 13:31
So I just posted in "used gear" that I was interested in buying a tarptent. After i posted someone said that they were a pain, and others just did not like them. I was curious as to what others thought about using a tarp tent on the PCT. Thanks

Blackfoot HB

Quoddy
12-12-2008, 13:53
TarpTents are great. My favorite is the Contrail which has been a good choice for most of the trails I've been on and extremely fast to put up. I recently bought a silnylon SubLite and it looks like this one is a winner, too. A bit slower than the Contrail to put up, but otherwise a lot of excellent features. If you use stix then either is a good choice. I use a small tarp most of the time now, but when I want a bit more it'll usually be one the the TarpTents.

Kerosene
12-12-2008, 14:46
You have a lot of different options for shelter, as with most major gear items, and each will have its advantages and disadvantages. For the PCT, where humidity is less of a problem during the warmer months than out East, I'd go with a single-wall tent (TarpTent is one manufacturer) if I wanted bug-protection, or a tarp/bivy-sack combo if I can do without.

jrnj5k
12-12-2008, 15:08
i have had my sublite sil for a few weeks now and have used it on two weekend trips. Its super lite, takes some getting used to to get the poles in as they have a tendancy to slip out when setting up. There is a learning curve and once you figure it out which takes only one or two setups...its becomes a fantastic tent. i particularly like that there is plenty of room for gear at the foot, a nice little portal for looking out into the campsite or at the stars and plenty of room to situp in. Im a big fan and you will be too.

taildragger
12-12-2008, 15:40
I have an original cloudburst that I use when bugs are a problem, or when with green hikers.

Sets up nice, fairly lite, more protection than the tarp, strategically located campsites are needed with wind (needs to have the feet facing the wind, otherwise you're boned, head might work)

Big Sky
12-12-2008, 16:32
My boyfriend and I use a rainshadow (the 3 person one) and we love it. It's huge and pretty easy to put up but I advise practicing at home before heading out. Just remember, you gotta seam seal.

mrmuddy1
12-13-2008, 01:02
I love EVERYTHING about my sublite .. except for :

1) No vestibule

2) No seeum netting for the door

If you can live w/o those two .. It is THE PERFECT solo tarptent !

verber
12-14-2008, 03:15
So I just posted in "used gear" that I was interested in buying a tarptent. After i posted someone said that they were a pain, and others just did not like them.

I think if you read trailjournals for the PCT you will find tarptents extremely popular. I think they deliver the best functionality to weight ratio of any shelters. They are typically fast and easy to setup. The provide good protection in all but the most extreme conditions. Some people are troubled by the condensation that can develop... I don't think it's a big deal, but different things bother different people. I have collected some shelter recommentations (http://www.verber.com/mark/outdoors/gear/shelter.html) which you might find useful.

--mark

garlic08
12-14-2008, 10:30
Just another vote for tarptents on the PCT. The nay-sayers probably have not been on a PCT thru, or have had one or two nights of heavy condensation and gave up without learning any lessons. Going light is all about substituting skill and experience for weight.

MarkV, that's a good article and good references. Thanks.

yappy
12-14-2008, 10:44
markv, excellent article. Thanks for putting it together..

Quoddy
12-21-2008, 11:21
I love EVERYTHING about my sublite .. except for :

1) No vestibule

2) No seeum netting for the door

If you can live w/o those two .. It is THE PERFECT solo tarptent !
The newer silnylon SubLIte has both an interior netting door and also a small awning over the door. I guess you could now call it the perfect TarpTent.

bigcranky
12-21-2008, 16:28
So I just posted in "used gear" that I was interested in buying a tarptent. After i posted someone said that they were a pain, and others just did not like them. I was curious as to what others thought about using a tarp tent on the PCT. Thanks

There is no one right answer. If there were, everyone would carry the same gear, and we wouldn't spend all this time arguing, er, discussing it here on Whiteblaze.

I have owned two tarptents and slept in two others, and they were all great. Love 'em. My current 1/2 person tent is a Tarptent Double Rainbow.

Marta
12-21-2008, 16:35
I have owned two tarptents and slept in two others, and they were all great. Love 'em. My current 1/2 person tent is a Tarptent Double Rainbow.

I spent a moment trying to figure out why you're want a tent for half a person.:rolleyes:

bigcranky
12-21-2008, 22:28
I spent a moment trying to figure out why you're want a tent for half a person.:rolleyes:

I guess that was supposed to be a hyphen. Or something. Or maybe I didn't have enough coffee this morning. Mmmmm. Coffee.

jrnj5k
12-22-2008, 15:44
I camped this weekend in a Sublite Sil. 10 degrees at a low and 14 degrees farenheit on top of 6inches of snow. When I woke up there was a sheet ice covering the tent. No moisture whatsover inside. I was dry as the sahara. Love this tent.

Tinker
12-22-2008, 15:48
Question: Is sublite lighter than ultralight? :p
Hyperlight?
Uber-light?
Does any one know which is which?

theinfamousj
12-22-2008, 16:16
I own a tarp tent but not a TarpTent. It is The One. I've used it on the east coast and it has held up fine. Only got condensation when others around me, even with their double walled tents did too. I've heard that the PCT is less prone to condensation. I say go for it, since you seem to already want to. Don't let nay-sayers get you down. There is a learning curve, but if you just keep reminding yourself (as I did) that once you get it, you'll get it, then the rewards are wonderful.

skinewmexico
12-22-2008, 17:36
Tarptents just take an additional skillset, that a lot of people don't want to learn. Not unlike switching to a hammock.

Franco
12-23-2008, 17:52
There is a thread at BPL where HS has asked for feed back on the merits of adding a mesh door to the Tivek Sublite (sold out at the moment, sorry to disappoint Slow....)

Tinker
Light
Sublight
Ultralight
Hyperlight

Uber is only for the kiddies

Franco