PDA

View Full Version : rain pants

jleuch02
04-09-2004, 18:45
I'm planning an AT thru hike starting in June. I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for fabric for rainpants I could make that would be durable enough as the only pair I would take. I'm also looking to make them convertible so I could use them as shorts. Any suggestions in that area? Has anybody heard anything about Epic waterproof fabric?

Moon Monster
04-09-2004, 22:39
Starting in June, I'm assuming you are going southbound. If you finish before the end of the year, then you are not likely to see any deep or lasting snows down south. Therefore, I would suggest that rain-pants are optional and only neccessary if they make you more comfortable in cold rains or ice storms. As long as you are moving during the day and have dry pants to change into at night, it's usually OK for your legs to be wet while hiking on a cold day. I only use rain pants when there is a chance for deep snow or temps below say 20. But, everyone's comfort level is different.

Are you intending these homemade rain pants to be the only pants you carry period, or just the only rain pants? I would not suggest you go without a very breathable material for pants. If you only have something water repellant to walk in, you probably will be very uncomfortable in warmer weather.

As to Epic, it is a touted rival to Tyvek and silnylon for lightweight water resistant uses in lightweight backpacking. There is a lot of info in the message boards on backpacker.com and http://www.thru-hiker.com for Epic. The thru-hiker.com site has LOTS of useful info on homemade lightweight gear.

smokymtnsteve
04-09-2004, 23:24
forget the rain pants and take gaiters

Moose2001
04-10-2004, 07:23
Does sound like you're doing a Southbound. If that's the case, I'd suggest carrying rain pants until you clear the Whites. After that, send them home. You may want them back again for the last 500 miles of your trip. I never recommend to anyone to venture into the Whites, no matter what month, without a full set of raingear.

Jaybird
04-10-2004, 09:58
I'm planning an AT thru hike starting in June. I was wondering if anybody had any suggestions for fabric for rainpants I could make that would be durable enough as the only pair I would take. I'm also looking to make them convertible so I could use them as shorts. Any suggestions in that area? Has anybody heard anything about Epic waterproof fabric?

jleuch02

get some "convertibles" that are either "rain-proof" or "rain-resistant" & fast-drying.

taken from an REI sale page:
Waterproof, breathable coated ripstop nylon face, a moisture-wicking mesh lining and sealed seams offer complete weather protection
Lower leg zippers offer easy on/off over boots .....blah,blah,blah.....

these are the only type pants i take....use them as shorts 50% of the hike.

good luck!

Youngblood
04-10-2004, 11:53

I don't know about using rainpants as shorts. I haven't used Epic fabric, but I wouldn't think that it would breathable enough for shorts in warm weather on a thru-hike. When you are backpacking in warm weather, you will want your shorts to be really breathable to help manage perspiration. A lot of things come into play, like chaffing, rashes, jock-itch, etc. I quickly switched to a nylon bathing suit with built in mesh lining and I seem to recall some folks had to go a little further and even remove the mesh lining. Some folks even use kilts, so I would be very concerned about your approach.

Good luck, have a great hike, pay attention to how things are working and be willing to quickly make adjustments when necessary. Also, carrying a little tube of cortaide or vasaline has saved many a hiker.

Youngblood

hungryhowie
04-10-2004, 17:17
Unlike many people, I carry full water-proof rain gear ALL YEAR LONG for safety reasons. It doesn't weigh that much, but it can act as a vabor barier and ad ~15*F to your sleep system when necessary and save your life.

AYCE has come out with some awesome patterns for rain jacket and rain pants (the Liberty Ridge series) that are availble from his website www.thru-hiker.com

Instead of making the pants convertible, I'd just go with the lightest waterproof fabric that'll last and use them only when you have to. Even if they are convertible, they'll still be really hot for hiking in. For thru-hiking purposes, I'd go with 1.1oz silnylon. AYCE's rainpants, made out of this, would weigh about 2.5-3oz (depending on your size) and cost $25 total.

If you're concerned about durability, you can make a second pair for about $15 more in fabric!

You can't beat the weight, compressibility, or function here.

-Howie

Youngblood
04-10-2004, 22:38
Howie,

I agree with you about using rain gear as a vapor barrier for extra warmth, even when sleeping. In cold weather it also cuts way down on condensation inside your tent/tarp/hammock/sleeping bag/etc. Have you had any experience with non-breathable rain gear? I haven't and had assumed that if it wasn't breathable then you might want pit vents and such. I carry Frogg Toggs (somewhat breathable) and an umbrella (very breathable) to handle a wide range of wind/rain/temperature conditions.

Youngblood

jleuch02
04-13-2004, 13:58
Thanks for all your help. I think I'll order the pants pattern from Thru-hiker with silnylon and make a pair and also order some Epic and see how that turns out, but definately bring the breathable shorts. That way if I like the convertibles I can bring those, or else bring the silnylon ones for emergencies. Hope to see some of you out there in June!

Footslogger
04-13-2004, 14:09
I'm thinking that rain pants might be a bit much, especially as a totally separate piece of clothing. If it was me I'd carry the convertible nylon pants and a set of high gaitors. Most folks don't have much trouble with cold on the legs anyway ...and even if you did, the gaitors would cover almost the entire lower leg and at the same time they'd keep the schmutz off your socks and out of your boots.

Just my .02

'Slogger