PDA

View Full Version : Where to find small piece of Tyvek

cr113
12-12-2008, 15:49
Anyone know where I can buy a small piece of Tyvek (about 4 X 6)? I want something to sit on and use in front of my tent. Lowes and Home Depot only sell big pieces.

TomWc
12-12-2008, 16:05
fedex tyvek mailers are 2x3 when cut open and provided gratis at kinkos. Big enough for your boots.

bubble pack mailers make great sit pads.

Manwich
12-12-2008, 16:07
Find a home under construction, they wrap those buildings in tyvek before they put the siding on, usually they leave them around and when they're done they just throw it out (usually in a very accessible dumpster)

adventurousmtnlvr
12-12-2008, 18:07
other than new homes ... Mtn. Crossings at Neels Gap sells it on a roll ... will cut/mail whatever you need ... forgot the cost $1 or $2 foot I think ... call them if you don't find it elsewhere

gearfreak
12-12-2008, 19:43
I have a small piece in my garage cut to the size of my Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2. PM me with your address and you can have it. Merry Christmas! :cool:

TrippinBTM
12-12-2008, 19:51
Find a home under construction, they wrap those buildings in tyvek before they put the siding on, usually they leave them around and when they're done they just throw it out (usually in a very accessible dumpster)

home under construction? in this economy? hahahahahaha

(not here in Michigan, anyways...)

kayak karl
12-12-2008, 19:54
I have a small piece in my garage cut to the size of my Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2. PM me with your address and you can have it. Merry Christmas! :cool: i just sent a PM to Cr113 that i have a 3-7 piece. but just noticed its not the right size he wants, but up for graps at the Merry Christmas price:)

Panzer1
12-12-2008, 19:58
Anti Gravity gear sells it by the foot

http://antigravitygear.com/proddetail.php?prod=TYVEK

Panzer

kayak karl
12-12-2008, 21:31
i Just Sent A Pm To Cr113 That I Have A 3-7 Piece. But Just Noticed Its Not The Right Size He Wants, But Up For Graps At The Merry Christmas Price:)
Gone!

Hooch
12-12-2008, 21:56
Anti Gravity gear sells it by the foot

http://antigravitygear.com/proddetail.php?prod=TYVEK

PanzerThat's what I was gonna say. If you have any consturction going on near where you live, you might ask them nice, too. Worst that can happen is they can say no.

DAKS
12-12-2008, 22:08
That's what I was gonna say. If you have any consturction going on near where you live, you might ask them nice, too. Worst that can happen is they can say no.

i went dumpster diving under the cover of darkness with only my headlight when homes were still being built in my area. i salvaged a couple of good sized pieces of tyvek. not too many homes being built anymore though?! darn!

Rambler
12-12-2008, 22:46
http://tarptent.com/inserts.html

$12 customs at tarptent.com

Pokey2006
12-13-2008, 03:59
There's always a handful of people selling it by the foot on Ebay.

ken209
12-13-2008, 10:59
Anyone know where I can buy a small piece of Tyvek (about 4 X 6)? I want something to sit on and use in front of my tent. Lowes and Home Depot only sell big pieces.
PM your address, will send you a piece for Christmas.
Ken.

genetic claybuilding
12-13-2008, 16:10
Aren't there two types of tyvek, the standard type that crinkles and makes a lot of noise when touched, and a "soft" tyvek that keeps its mouth shut? I bought some of the quiet tyvek from a place in Florida some years ago but don't remember the name or web address.

Can you turn noisy tyvek into quiet tyvek by washing it?

kayak karl
12-13-2008, 16:23
Can you turn noisy tyvek into quiet tyvek by washing it? wash it 4-5 times with your clothes. fells like cloth after that.

kayak karl
12-13-2008, 16:24
Gone!
i have a another 3-7 piece up for graps at the Merry Christmas price:)

kayak karl
12-13-2008, 16:48
i have a another 3-7 piece up for graps at the Merry Christmas price:)
Gone! Merry Chrismas:)

mudhead
12-13-2008, 19:34
Aren't there two types of tyvek, the standard type that crinkles and makes a lot of noise when touched, and a "soft" tyvek that keeps its mouth shut? I bought some of the quiet tyvek from a place in Florida some years ago but don't remember the name or web address.

Maybe you are thinking of kite tyvek.

ken209
12-14-2008, 11:12
PM your address, will send you a piece for Christmas.
Ken.
Tyvek is gone.

kayak karl
12-14-2008, 12:11

basically there are 3 types (many types in each of these)
Clothing- very thin and light, used in tyvek suits for hazmat and stuff.
Residential- works the best for tarps. (home depot and lowes knock-offs will NOT soften up when washed)
Commercial- used to go behind products like DRYVIT. (i never worked with it)

if you know a contractor that does siding, ask him for a piece. there is always the end of the roll in storage. :)

cr113
12-16-2008, 12:22
Thanks for all the replies. I got a piece. I actually had part of a roll but it was at my other property and I was trying to avoid driving.

I put it thru the washer and it did soften it but it seems like it holds water. It seems like it might be heavy if you get it too wet.

flemdawg1
12-16-2008, 12:31
Check your area for a Habitat for Humanity ReStore, sometimes they have some.