PDA

View Full Version : Gear list help

Jacob626
12-13-2008, 14:35
Hey all, I am planning a winter thru-hike with a friend of mine and want to start in early February so we can beat the crowds and enjoy some winter hiking. We've both got some decent experience backpacking in all seasons, but never for longer than a week or so. If some people could let me know what they think about the following gear list, I would appreciate it. I tend to be on the colder side, so I realize I might have slightly more clothing than the average outdoorsman. I haven't bought all of it yet so a lot of the things don't have specific brands. Thank you in advance!

Clothing
Head
o Bandana
o Fleece scarf (to be sent home later)
o Balaclava (to be sent home later)
o Fleece hat (MARMOT HIGH LOFT POLARTEC BEANIE)
o Ski goggles (to be sent home later)
Torso
o Lightweight long underwear
o Midweight long underwear (for camp)
o Midweight crew T
o Heavyweight long sleeve
o Fleece jacket (Black Diamond Wind Pro Jacket)
o Down vest (for camp, to be sent home later)
o Rain jacket (Marmot PreCip Jacket)
Bottom
o Lightweight long underwear
o Midweight fleece pants (to be sent home later)
o Midweight long underwear
o Nylon shorts
o Hiking pants
o Rain pants
Feet
o 3 pairs lightweight socks
o 3 pairs midweight socks
o EMS winter boots (to be exchanged to lightweight boots later)
o Camp shoes
Hands
o Fleece convertible mittens w/ fingers
o Glove liners (for camp, to be sent home later)
o Rain mitten shells (eVent Mitts)
Personal gear
o Pack (EMS 4500cu inch)
o Sleeping bag (Marmot Trestles 15 Synthetic Long)
o Sleeping pad
o Pack cover
o Sea to Summet Ultra-Sil Dry Sack for camp clothing
o Trekking poles
o Knife (Gerber Evo)
o Headlamp
o Chamois towel
o 2 – 1 Liter water bottles
o Rope
o Duct tape
o Toothbrush
o Soap
o Earplugs
o Journal
o Pens
o Credit card/ATM card
o Harmonica
o Driver’s license
o Chapstick
Shared gear
o Tent (MSR Hubba Hubba)
o First aid kit
o Gauze
o Tape
o Dermabond
o Antibiotic cream
o Steri-strips
o Moleskin
o Ibuprofen
o Immodium
o
o Stove (JetBoil canister stove)
o Fuel
o Cooking set
o Utensils
o Water filter (Katadyn Hiker)
o SPOT
o Crank radio
o Can opener
o Matches
o Toilet paper

Reid
12-13-2008, 15:41
With so many variables it's hard to comment without knowing much about the weights of all these things. When I don't feel like jotting down weights and all I pack my entire pack up hand test it and also take it down to the post office or recycling center and throw the whole thing on the scales. I have a funny feeling your main three are heavy though.

Panzer1
12-13-2008, 16:45
I also would agree that it is important to list the weight of each item.

I would add the following:
-map
-compass
-guide book
-besides the matches you listed I would also add a cigarette lighter. I actually carry 2 ciragette lighters in the winter.
- something to use as a trash bag.
- besides the drivers license, I would also add an insurance card so you can drive if you ever have to.
- maybe a pair of sun glasses in case you hit a lot of snow.

Panzer

snowhoe
12-13-2008, 16:58
You might want to check into a differnt stove until its get warmer. I have a jet boil and they can make you made when its freezing outside. Maybe take a stove that is not a canister stove for the fist half of your hike.

Panzer1
12-13-2008, 19:16
You might want to check into a differnt stove until its get warmer. I have a jet boil and they can make you made when its freezing outside. Maybe take a stove that is not a canister stove for the fist half of your hike.

For a early February hike I would second that. There's nothing wrong with with the idea of owning a cold weather stove and a warm weather stove. Take whichever one makes the most sense.

Panzer

Blissful
12-13-2008, 22:14
Your gonna be cold in a 15 degree bag unless you are a warm sleeper, esp early Feb. start. Might consider a liner.

You should also carry your own gear - tent, stove first aid. I have seen more than one hiker lose their "friend" by Neels Gap and then they are up the creek.

Panzer1
12-13-2008, 22:21
For a February start I would use a zero degree bag. And it would be goose down not synthetic, because goose down weights less and compresses into a smaller size for storing in your pack.

Panzer

Wags
12-14-2008, 11:55
well he has plenty of clothes for supplimental warmth in the bag. the down jacket would most likely give him plenty of warmth and could wrap his feet up in the heavy weight fleece...

this:
Lightweight long underwear
o Midweight fleece pants (to be sent home later)
o Midweight long underwear
o Nylon shorts
o Hiking pants
o Rain pants

seems like too much stuff to me. my legs require much less material than my torso and feet for me to stay warm...

i like the harmonica!

i'd probably drop the ski goggles as well

drastic_quench
12-14-2008, 13:38
- besides the drivers license, I would also add an insurance card so you can drive if you ever have to.

Panzer
You mean health insurance card? Car insurance? Why would either be needed to drive? Even if it's not your car, it's the car that has to be insured by the owner. A better policy insures anyone who's driving the vehicle.

Taking a health insurance card is wise, but I don't know how it relates to driving.

HippieHiker
12-14-2008, 16:37
use your knife as a can opener...i dont know why you would bring cans in the first place....and i dont know if it would be worth bringing a radio considering you will be in the woods you wont get very good reception. wrap your duct tape around a lighter or your trekking poles insteade of bringing a roll. i wouldnt bring rope either unless your not going to stay at a shelter

Panzer1
12-14-2008, 17:02
Even if it's not your car, it's the car that has to be insured by the owner. A better policy insures anyone who's driving the vehicle.

In PA you have to have car insurance to drive.

Even if you borrow a car that is insured and are in an accident with another vehicle, the other driver can file suite against you first, then the car owner next.

If he's going to bring his drivers license then he might as well bring his insurance card.

Panzer

drastic_quench
12-14-2008, 20:55
Wow. ***.

drastic_quench
12-14-2008, 20:56
Wow. ***.
! W Tee Ef is censored!

modiyooch
12-14-2008, 21:01
We've both got some decent experience backpacking in all seasons, but never for longer than a week or so.
I pack the same whether it's a week, multiple weeks, or months.

Panzer1
12-14-2008, 23:10
Knife (Gerber Evo)

That's a nice looking knife.

Panzer

ScottP
12-16-2008, 00:20
Looks like a NOLS list--Just take what you have. It's really not very far along the trail at all until you can mail stuff home. After a bit you'll have a better understanding of the tradeoffs between being cold and carrying a heavy pack.

flemdawg1
12-16-2008, 12:10
It seems you went a lil' overboard w/ light, mid and Heavy layers in addition to jacket, vest, and rain gear (and short layers). But you can determine whether you really need that much.

I'd ditch the SPOT, crank radio (MP3 player instead?), insulated boots (double socks should be fine) and ski goggles (sunglasses instead?).